Emotions are alien to me. I'm a scientist. -- Spock, "This Side of Paradise", stardate 3417.3

computers / alt.comp.os.windows-10 / Re: Isopropyl alcohol

SubjectAuthor
* Isopropyl alcoholEd Cryer
+* Re: Isopropyl alcoholVanguardLH
|+* Re: Isopropyl alcoholVanguardLH
||+- Re: Isopropyl alcoholBig Al
||+* Re: Isopropyl alcoholbill
|||+- Re: Isopropyl alcoholPaul
|||+* Re: Isopropyl alcoholChris
|||`* Re: Isopropyl alcoholVanguardLH
||| `* Re: Isopropyl alcoholbill
|||  `* Re: Isopropyl alcoholVanguardLH
|||   `- Re: Isopropyl alcoholbill
||`* Re: Isopropyl alcoholChris
|| `* Re: Isopropyl alcoholVanguardLH
||  +- Re: Isopropyl alcoholbill
||  +* Re: Isopropyl alcoholChris
||  |`* Re: Isopropyl alcoholVanguardLH
||  | `* Re: Isopropyl alcoholChris
||  |  +* Re: Isopropyl alcoholVanguardLH
||  |  |`* Re: Isopropyl alcoholChris
||  |  | `* Re: Isopropyl alcoholVanguardLH
||  |  |  `* Re: Isopropyl alcoholChris
||  |  |   `- Re: Isopropyl alcoholJohn
||  |  `* Re: Isopropyl alcoholBig Al
||  |   +* Re: Isopropyl alcoholAndy Burns
||  |   |+- Re: Isopropyl alcoholAndy Burns
||  |   |`- Re: Isopropyl alcoholJohn
||  |   +- Re: Isopropyl alcoholJohn
||  |   `* Re: Isopropyl alcoholChris
||  |    `* Re: Isopropyl alcoholVanguardLH
||  |     `* Re: Isopropyl alcoholChris
||  |      +- Re: Isopropyl alcoholAndy Burns
||  |      `* Re: Isopropyl alcoholVanguardLH
||  |       `- Re: Isopropyl alcoholChris
||  `* Re: Isopropyl alcoholStephen Wolstenholme
||   `- Re: Isopropyl alcoholEd Cryer
|+* Re: Isopropyl alcoholAndy Burns
||`* Re: Isopropyl alcoholEd Cryer
|| +* Re: Isopropyl alcoholPaul
|| |+- Re: Isopropyl alcoholChris
|| |`* Re: Isopropyl alcoholEd Cryer
|| | +* Re: Isopropyl alcoholEd Cryer
|| | +- Re: Isopropyl alcoholPaul
|| | `* Re: Isopropyl alcoholVanguardLH
|| |  `- Re: Isopropyl alcoholEd Cryer
|| +- Re: Isopropyl alcoholNewsKrawler
|| `- Re: Isopropyl alcoholVanguardLH
|`- Re: Isopropyl alcoholT
+* Re: Isopropyl alcoholshemp13
|`* Re: Isopropyl alcoholAndy Burns
| `- Re: Isopropyl alcoholVanguardLH
+- Re: Isopropyl alcoholStephen Wolstenholme
+* Re: Isopropyl alcoholPaul
|`* Re: Isopropyl alcoholbill
| `* Re: Isopropyl alcoholVanguardLH
|  `* Re: Isopropyl alcoholRene Lamontagne
|   `* Re: Isopropyl alcoholVanguardLH
|    `* Re: Isopropyl alcoholRene Lamontagne
|     `* Re: Isopropyl alcoholKen Blake
|      `* Re: Isopropyl alcoholVanguardLH
|       `- Re: Isopropyl alcoholKen Blake
+* Re: Isopropyl alcoholBillH
|+- Re: Isopropyl alcoholRene Lamontagne
|+* Re: Isopropyl alcoholBig Al
||`* Re: Isopropyl alcoholChris Elvidge
|| `* Re: Isopropyl alcoholbill
||  +- Re: Isopropyl alcoholAndy Burns
||  +- Re: Isopropyl alcoholChris Elvidge
||  `* Re: Isopropyl alcoholPaul
||   `* Re: Isopropyl alcoholbill
||    `- Re: Isopropyl alcoholVanguardLH
|`- Re: Isopropyl alcoholVanguardLH
+- Re: Isopropyl alcoholmicky
+- Re: Isopropyl alcoholPeter Jason
+* Re: Isopropyl alcoholStephen Wolstenholme
|`- Re: Isopropyl alcoholVanguardLH
+* Re: Isopropyl alcoholsticks
|`* Re: Isopropyl alcoholEd Cryer
| `* Re: Isopropyl alcoholSticks
|  +* Re: Isopropyl alcoholAndy Burns
|  |`* Re: Isopropyl alcoholVanguardLH
|  | `- Re: Isopropyl alcoholAndy Burns
|  `- Re: Isopropyl alcoholEd Cryer
`* Re: Isopropyl alcoholBig Bad Bob

Pages:12345
Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<sgl99v$ivj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54149&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54149

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Subject: Re: Isopropyl alcohol
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 14:02:17 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 13:02 UTC

Paul wrote:
> Ed Cryer wrote:
>> Andy Burns wrote:

>>> Over there maybe, but over here, though it's easy to buy IPA online,
>>> it's strangely difficult to walk into a shop and buy some, Maplin
>>> were probably the last high-street place that sold it, maybe the O/P
>>> has an RS trade-counter nearby?

>>> That's the problem with with surgical spirit the O/P asked about, it
>>> has wintergreen and castor oil in it.
>>

>> This is what I use to clean almost all stubborn residue; paint, mold,
>> red wine spilled, glue deposits, sticker-label deposits. I've used it
>> for years, very available here in the UK.
>> https://bit.ly/38nIVtF
>>
>> Will this do the job?
>>
>> Ed
>
> The MSDS says "ingest a little, then get back to us" :-/
>
> https://www.bartoline.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/BARTOLINE-White.-Spirit-SDS4652.pdf
>

>    Contains:
>
>    Hydrocarbons, C9-C12, n-alkanes, isoalkanes, cyclics, aromatics
> (2-25%) 100%
>
> "White spirit is a flammable, clear, colourless liquid. It is a mixture
>  of chemicals known as petroleum hydrocarbons. Other common names for
>  white spirit are Stoddard solvent, turpentine substitute, mineral spirit
>  and paint thinner."   [paint thinner for oil-based paints presumably...]
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_spirit
>
>    "mineral spirits are used for cleaning and degreasing
>     machine tools and parts"
>
> So yes, it would probably interact with thermal paste.
> Then, what removes all white spirit residue ?
>
>    Paul
I called into the best-known PC repair shop in my town. Here's how it went.
Me: I want some cleaning fluid for electrical components in my PC box.
Him: You don't need any cleaning fluid for that. What do you want to clean?
Me: Oh, fans and heatsinks and CPU's. I'd like isopropyl alcohol.
Him: No, no. You can do without that.
Me: But how do I remove dry thermal paste?
Him: You can use aftershave or perfume.
Me: Oh, thanks. {and exits door}
Ed

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<ip71o8F3p4cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54164&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54164

From: ken@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 08:55:51 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 15:55 UTC

On 8/30/2021 5:43 PM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-08-30 7:34 p.m., VanguardLH wrote:
>> Rene Lamontagne <rlamont@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> Mercurochrome.
>>
>> That's been banned here. Its red stain made difficult to detect
>> infection or inflammation, also an argument against iodine tincture.
>> There was also fear of mercury toxicity absorbed through the skin. It,
>> and other mercury-containing medicines were banned in the USA, but are
>> still used elsewhere. It marketed for use on children because it didn't
>> sting, but it was also ineffective. It prevented the spread of bacteria
>> while present, but didn't kill the micro-organism, so once washed or
>> worn away, the bacteria bloomed again. I would never recommend it for
>> first aid. I remember seeing it as a kid, but haven't seen it in stores
>> for decades although it was only back to 1998 when the FDA banned it.
>> While it has been banned here for 23 years, I don't remember seeing it
>> around for decades before that. I think I saw it when I was kid, so
>> maybe my parents got it because it didn't sting, similar to how Bactine
>> advertizes its use on kids (but it has lidocaine to numb the sting).
>>
>> As for cleaning a CPU, HSF, or thermal paste cleanup per the OP's need,
>> forget it. However, to be honest, I never ever tried using it as a
>> solvent to clean anything. Does an organomercuric disodium salt
>> compound work as a degreaser or many-use solvent? While it was also
>> used to detect metal fractures due to its red staining effect, that
>> would be no interest to the OP with his CPU+HSF setup.
>>

> I haven't seen it for ages neither, Last time I saw it was back in the
> 60s when I awoke from surgery my whole abdomen was painted red withe the
> stuff, They must have used a 4 inch brush :-

I remember my mother using it on me when I was a kid, but also haven't
seen it in a long time.

What about merthiolate? Is that still around?

--
Ken

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<sglo19$t3d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54171&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54171

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 18:14:05 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 17:14 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> Ed Cryer wrote:

>>> This is what I use to clean almost all stubborn residue; paint, mold,
>>> red wine spilled, glue deposits, sticker-label deposits. I've used it
>>> for years, very available here in the UK.
>>> https://bit.ly/38nIVtF
>>>
>>> Will this do the job?
>>>
>>> Ed
>>
>> The MSDS says "ingest a little, then get back to us" :-/
>>
>> https://www.bartoline.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/BARTOLINE-White.-Spirit-SDS4652.pdf
>>

>>     Contains:
>>
>>     Hydrocarbons, C9-C12, n-alkanes, isoalkanes, cyclics, aromatics
>> (2-25%) 100%
>>
>> "White spirit is a flammable, clear, colourless liquid. It is a mixture
>>   of chemicals known as petroleum hydrocarbons. Other common names for
>>   white spirit are Stoddard solvent, turpentine substitute, mineral
>> spirit
>>   and paint thinner."   [paint thinner for oil-based paints
>> presumably...]
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_spirit
>>
>>     "mineral spirits are used for cleaning and degreasing
>>      machine tools and parts"
>>
>> So yes, it would probably interact with thermal paste.
>> Then, what removes all white spirit residue ?
>>
>>     Paul
>
> I called into the best-known PC repair shop in my town. Here's how it went.
> Me: I want some cleaning fluid for electrical components in my PC box.
> Him: You don't need any cleaning fluid for that. What do you want to clean?
> Me: Oh, fans and heatsinks and CPU's. I'd like isopropyl alcohol.
> Him: No, no. You can do without that.
> Me: But how do I remove dry thermal paste?
> Him: You can use aftershave or perfume.
> Me: Oh, thanks. {and exits door}
>
> Ed

Another shop. And believe me, this is true; the guy told me to use WD40.

Ed

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<sglrfc$n58$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54178&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54178

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 14:12:59 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 18:12 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:

> I called into the best-known PC repair shop in my town. Here's how it went.
> Me: I want some cleaning fluid for electrical components in my PC box.
> Him: You don't need any cleaning fluid for that. What do you want to clean?
> Me: Oh, fans and heatsinks and CPU's. I'd like isopropyl alcohol.
> Him: No, no. You can do without that.
> Me: But how do I remove dry thermal paste?
> Him: You can use aftershave or perfume.
> Me: Oh, thanks. {and exits door}
>
> Ed

Ah, perfessionals.

Paul

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<ip79vfF5bcvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54179&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54179

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 13:16:15 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 18:16 UTC

On 2021-08-31 12:14 p.m., Ed Cryer wrote:
> Ed Cryer wrote:
>> Paul wrote:

>>> The MSDS says "ingest a little, then get back to us" :-/
>>>
>>> https://www.bartoline.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/BARTOLINE-White.-Spirit-SDS4652.pdf
>>>

>>>     Contains:
>>>
>>>     Hydrocarbons, C9-C12, n-alkanes, isoalkanes, cyclics, aromatics
>>> (2-25%) 100%
>>>
>>> "White spirit is a flammable, clear, colourless liquid. It is a mixture
>>>   of chemicals known as petroleum hydrocarbons. Other common names for
>>>   white spirit are Stoddard solvent, turpentine substitute, mineral
>>> spirit
>>>   and paint thinner."   [paint thinner for oil-based paints
>>> presumably...]
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_spirit
>>>
>>>     "mineral spirits are used for cleaning and degreasing
>>>      machine tools and parts"
>>>
>>> So yes, it would probably interact with thermal paste.
>>> Then, what removes all white spirit residue ?
>>>
>>>     Paul
>>
>> I called into the best-known PC repair shop in my town. Here's how it
>> went.
>> Me: I want some cleaning fluid for electrical components in my PC box.
>> Him: You don't need any cleaning fluid for that. What do you want to
>> clean?
>> Me: Oh, fans and heatsinks and CPU's. I'd like isopropyl alcohol.
>> Him: No, no. You can do without that.
>> Me: But how do I remove dry thermal paste?
>> Him: You can use aftershave or perfume.
>> Me: Oh, thanks. {and exits door}
>>
>> Ed
>>

> Another shop. And believe me, this is true; the guy told me to use WD40.
>
> Ed

WD40= about 40% kerosene and 60% Hope.

Rene

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<1mopqhw7wyd5c.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54184&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54184

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 13:26:05 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 18:26 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>
>> I cannot lookup whatever is the TCP to which you refer. An online
>> search is obviously going to predominately find articles about
>> Transmission Control Protocol in networking.
>
> You need to learn how to google better.

I don't bother looking at more than 2 pages of hits. TCP means
something to you in your region. To the rest of the world, it is about
networking.

You don't tell something to go use Google. That is being lazy, rude,
and deliberately obtuse. If you claim a Google search will find
something then provide the search criteria; else, you don't show that
even you could find it.

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<sglskt$ujd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54186&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54186

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 19:32:31 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 18:32 UTC

Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-08-31 12:14 p.m., Ed Cryer wrote:
>> Ed Cryer wrote:

>>> I called into the best-known PC repair shop in my town. Here's how it
>>> went.
>>> Me: I want some cleaning fluid for electrical components in my PC box.
>>> Him: You don't need any cleaning fluid for that. What do you want to
>>> clean?
>>> Me: Oh, fans and heatsinks and CPU's. I'd like isopropyl alcohol.
>>> Him: No, no. You can do without that.
>>> Me: But how do I remove dry thermal paste?
>>> Him: You can use aftershave or perfume.
>>> Me: Oh, thanks. {and exits door}
>>>
>>> Ed
>>>

>> Another shop. And believe me, this is true; the guy told me to use WD40.
>>
>> Ed
>>

> WD40= about 40% kerosene and 60% Hope.
>
> Rene

I have a strong feeling that isopropyl alcohol is either banned in the
UK or severely frowned-upon.
Maybe the authorities fear we might use it for getting an instant high;
just sniff the stuff and that's a quadruple whiskey in your system.
We're an unruly lot, all heading for the gutter and the winos' queue
outside supermarkets. (-;

Ed

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<jjpuc7rxspil.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54187&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54187

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 13:34:03 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 18:34 UTC

Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:

> I called into the best-known PC repair shop in my town. Here's how it went.
> Me: I want some cleaning fluid for electrical components in my PC box.
> Him: You don't need any cleaning fluid for that. What do you want to clean?
> Me: Oh, fans and heatsinks and CPU's. I'd like isopropyl alcohol.
> Him: No, no. You can do without that.
> Me: But how do I remove dry thermal paste?
> Him: You can use aftershave or perfume.
> Me: Oh, thanks. {and exits door}

Dumb fucks. Gee, now what are the ingredients of aftershave and
perfume? Yeah, pay high prices for those goods instead of the primary
ingredient.

You sure you didn't make up that story just to make them look dumb? You
should've asked them which brand of aftershave they use (on their
computers, not their face). Then asked them the ingredients of that
aftershave (at which point they'll look like deer caught in headlights).

Maybe they were drumming up business. They'd tell you to use
aftershave, you go home and do it, and later you'll bring in your
computer for them to repair.

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<ip7bknF5mmtU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54191&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54191

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 19:44:37 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 18:44 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:

> I have a strong feeling that isopropyl alcohol is either banned in the
> UK or severely frowned-upon.

No it's not restricted, you can easily get it mail order, just not
stocked in many places over the counter, e.g.

<https://www.mbfg.co.uk/isopropyl-alcohol.html>

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<yu27fjl1sdrd.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54192&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54192

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 13:50:13 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 18:50 UTC

Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com> wrote:

> merthiolate?

Also contains mercury. Also banned(*) by the FDA in the USA.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002678.htm

(*) After a study started in 1978, the FDA pulled the GRAS (Generally
Recommeded As Safe) status. Mercurochrome, and other mercury-containing
medicines, got classified as drugs in 1998. Anyone wanting to sell them
nationwide had to go through the rigorous and very costly drug approval
process. No one paid the high price for research and drug approval.
Without FDA approval, the sale of mercury "drugs" across state lines was
illegal, so the products disappeared.

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<1382iqv1q3pum.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54199&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54199

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 14:16:03 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 19:16 UTC

Stephen Wolstenholme <steve@easynn.com> wrote:

> I have just remembered another use for Isopropyl alcohol. It stops
> toothache instantly and it works for about a hour. Obviously, avoid
> swallowing it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK493181/
"Isopropanol ingestion is the second most common alcohol ingestion
following ethanol [grain alcohol] but is the most common toxic alcohol
ingestion reported to the United States poison control centers each
year."

All alcohols are toxic, some more than others. If you're using a cotton
swab to apply isopropanol to sore gums, you are unlikely to injest
enough isopranol to make you drunk or be concerned about toxicity. If
you pour a bottle of it into your mouth to hold your lips together to
drown all your teeth, yeah, a mouthful of the stuff is not recommended,
especially if 91% instead of 70%.

Make sure you don't use denatured alcohol which is grain alcohol mixed
with toxic denaturants to be repellent to humans. Grain alcohol
(ethanol) isn't as toxic as isopropanol, but it is made more toxic with
the addition of denaturants. Usually methanol is the denaturant,
metabolizes into formaldehyde, is extremely toxic to humans, shouldn't
even be inhaled, and causes dermatitis when exposed to the skin. For
cleaning, denatured alcohol leaves behind a residue. 90% is ethanol, 5%
is methanol, and the other 5% are denaturants (that are probably not
identified) that leave a residue.

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<ip7dgaF617uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54200&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54200

From: ken@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 12:16:26 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 19:16 UTC

On 8/31/2021 11:50 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> Ken Blake <ken@invalidemail.com> wrote:
>
>> merthiolate?
>
> Also contains mercury. Also banned(*) by the FDA in the USA.
>
> https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002678.htm

Thanks. I thought it might also be banned, but I wasn't sure.

> (*) After a study started in 1978, the FDA pulled the GRAS (Generally
> Recommeded As Safe) status. Mercurochrome, and other mercury-containing
> medicines, got classified as drugs in 1998. Anyone wanting to sell them
> nationwide had to go through the rigorous and very costly drug approval
> process. No one paid the high price for research and drug approval.
> Without FDA approval, the sale of mercury "drugs" across state lines was
> illegal, so the products disappeared.

--
Ken

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<1s8750mcqzfyl.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54203&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54203

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 14:29:51 -0500
 by: VanguardLH - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 19:29 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> Ed Cryer wrote:
>
>> I have a strong feeling that isopropyl alcohol is either banned in the
>> UK or severely frowned-upon.
>
> No it's not restricted, you can easily get it mail order, just not
> stocked in many places over the counter, e.g.
>
> <https://www.mbfg.co.uk/isopropyl-alcohol.html>

That's high proof stuff at 99.8%. That even beats everclear. You only
need 70% for an antisceptic and a cleaner. That is, instead of buying
pure isopropanol, get isopropyl alcohol which is a blend of isopropanol
with water to lower the concentration of isopropanol down to 70%. Those
big jugs of IPA @ 99.8% are far more than you'll need. Make sure to use
in a very VERY well ventilated area if you use the pure stuff.

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<ip7k6rF7977U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54217&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54217

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 16:10:50 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 21:10 UTC

On 2021-08-31 1:16 p.m., Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-08-31 12:14 p.m., Ed Cryer wrote:
>> Ed Cryer wrote:

>>> I called into the best-known PC repair shop in my town. Here's how it
>>> went.
>>> Me: I want some cleaning fluid for electrical components in my PC box.
>>> Him: You don't need any cleaning fluid for that. What do you want to
>>> clean?
>>> Me: Oh, fans and heatsinks and CPU's. I'd like isopropyl alcohol.
>>> Him: No, no. You can do without that.
>>> Me: But how do I remove dry thermal paste?
>>> Him: You can use aftershave or perfume.
>>> Me: Oh, thanks. {and exits door}
>>>
>>> Ed
>>>

>> Another shop. And believe me, this is true; the guy told me to use WD40.
>>
>> Ed
>>

> WD40= about 40% kerosene and 60% Hope.
>
> Rene

I use 99% Propanol for CPU and other electronic cleaning uses, and I
use70% isopropyl alcohol for antiseptic and general uses.

Rene

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<ip7kv4F7bekU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54218&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54218

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 16:23:48 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 21:23 UTC

On 2021-08-31 4:10 p.m., Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-08-31 1:16 p.m., Rene Lamontagne wrote:

>>> Another shop. And believe me, this is true; the guy told me to use WD40.
>>>
>>> Ed
>>>

>> WD40= about 40% kerosene and 60% Hope.
>>
>> Rene
>>

> I use 99% Propanol for CPU and other electronic  cleaning uses,  and I
> use70%  isopropyl   alcohol for antiseptic and general uses.
>
> Rene

Sorry, Should read Isopropanol not Propanol

Rene

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<sgm78v$7qs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54220&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54220

From: T@invalid.invalid (T)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 14:34:21 -0700
 by: T - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 21:34 UTC

On 8/30/21 5:42 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
> When it dries, no residue is left behind.

Only if you rinse it off (with more isop). Otherwise
it participates back what it initially dissolved
when dries out.

I would just capture the fans, blow the sucker
out and be done with it.

Or find someone with a parts cleaner. Disconnect
the CMOS battery first.

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<ip7nq5F7t2aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54223&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54223

From: ken@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 15:12:21 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 22:12 UTC

On 8/31/2021 2:23 PM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:
> On 2021-08-31 4:10 p.m., Rene Lamontagne wrote:

>>> WD40= about 40% kerosene and 60% Hope.
>>>
>>> Rene
>>>

>> I use 99% Propanol for CPU and other electronic  cleaning uses,  and I
>> use70%  isopropyl   alcohol for antiseptic and general uses.
>>
>> Rene
>>

> Sorry, Should read Isopropanol not Propanol

I was just about to ask if you cleaned things with a beta blocker. ;-)

--
Ken

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<ip7ofqF80a3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54225&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54225

From: rlamont@shaw.ca (Rene Lamontagne)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 17:23:54 -0500
 by: Rene Lamontagne - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 22:23 UTC

On 2021-08-31 5:12 p.m., Ken Blake wrote:
> On 8/31/2021 2:23 PM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:

>>> I use 99% Propanol for CPU and other electronic  cleaning uses,  and
>>> I use70%  isopropyl   alcohol for antiseptic and general uses.
>>>
>>> Rene
>>>

>>    Sorry, Should read Isopropanol not Propanol
>

> I was just about to ask if you cleaned things with a beta blocker. ;-)

Sometimes my mind skips ahead and leaves my fingers behind. :-)

Rene

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<ip808tF9eu7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54234&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54234

From: ken@invalidemail.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 17:36:45 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 00:36 UTC

Join the club.

--
Ken

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<ip8o70Fdml9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54246&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54246

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 08:25:18 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 07:25 UTC

Rene Lamontagne wrote:

> Sometimes my mind skips ahead and leaves my fingers behind.  :-)

I'm fairly sure my brain treats my fingers as some sort of autonomous
'typing peripherals' and it sometimes forgets who is sending the output
to them ...

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<ip8pc5Fdt88U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54247&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54247

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 08:45:07 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 07:45 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> <https://www.mbfg.co.uk/isopropyl-alcohol.html>
>
> That's high proof stuff at 99.8%. That even beats everclear.

For use on skin, the stuff we can readily buy in high-street chemists
(aka surgical spirit) is 90% and has 5% methanol to stop you drinking
it, plus "gunk" that will leave residues such as wintergreen oil, castor
oil and diethyl phthalate.

Given that is is sold specifically to clean/disinfect/harden skin, it
seems somewhat at odds that the safety info says if you get it on your
skin you should wash it off with soap and water ...

> You only need 70% for an antisceptic and a cleaner.

The spray aerosol cans that you get over here (for cleaning
fibre-optics, CD-drives, printers and wotnot) does tend to be about 70%
IPA with water.

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<sgnj9a$o0g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54249&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54249

From: chris@mshome.net (Chris Elvidge)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 11:05:29 +0100
 by: Chris Elvidge - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 10:05 UTC

On 31/08/2021 11:12 pm, Ken Blake wrote:
> On 8/31/2021 2:23 PM, Rene Lamontagne wrote:

>>> I use 99% Propanol for CPU and other electronic cleaning uses, and
>>> I use70% isopropyl alcohol for antiseptic and general uses.
>>>
>>> Rene
>>>

>> Sorry, Should read Isopropanol not Propanol
>

> I was just about to ask if you cleaned things with a beta blocker. ;-)

The beta blocker is Propranolol.
Propanol is propan-1-ol, isopropanol is propan-2-ol

--
Chris Elvidge
England

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<sgnq4k$gv2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54252&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54252

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 13:01:42 +0100
 by: Ed Cryer - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 12:01 UTC

VanguardLH wrote:
> Ed Cryer <ed@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
>
>> I called into the best-known PC repair shop in my town. Here's how it went.
>> Me: I want some cleaning fluid for electrical components in my PC box.
>> Him: You don't need any cleaning fluid for that. What do you want to clean?
>> Me: Oh, fans and heatsinks and CPU's. I'd like isopropyl alcohol.
>> Him: No, no. You can do without that.
>> Me: But how do I remove dry thermal paste?
>> Him: You can use aftershave or perfume.
>> Me: Oh, thanks. {and exits door}
>
> Dumb fucks. Gee, now what are the ingredients of aftershave and
> perfume? Yeah, pay high prices for those goods instead of the primary
> ingredient.
>
> You sure you didn't make up that story just to make them look dumb? You
> should've asked them which brand of aftershave they use (on their
> computers, not their face). Then asked them the ingredients of that
> aftershave (at which point they'll look like deer caught in headlights).
>
> Maybe they were drumming up business. They'd tell you to use
> aftershave, you go home and do it, and later you'll bring in your
> computer for them to repair.

I can well understand your skepticism. I think I'd probably feel the
same reading this from someone else; or maybe what your excellent
novelist Stephen King might describe as "silly old fart having his leg
pulled by breezy young whizzkid".
But no. I don't seem to engender such reaction from people, and I didn't
detect the slightest piss-taking attitude in the guy.

The only place I met any sign of isopropyl alcohol was in a telephone
call to a local TV repair shop. The chap there said they had a bottle of
it but not for sale; and when I asked where he got it, he didn't know -
probably true, he being just the assistant at the counter.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the postman to arrive with some ordered online.

Ed

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<e6tuigl9fia0eqlstkoak67dqvtm1t8p72@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54255&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54255

From: steve@easynn.com (Stephen Wolstenholme)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 13:56:47 +0100
 by: Stephen Wolstenholme - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 12:56 UTC

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 18:05:04 -0500, VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:

>I cannot lookup whatever is the TCP to which you refer.

The TCP in a bottle is some sort of very dilute phenols. I've used it
for years on any injuries. It is much better than other antiseptics
and doesn't sting as much.

I think it is made in France so it may become less available is the UK
now with trade restrictions. I've got half a bottle but my local
chemist shop has no more in stock.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
JustNN Just a neural network http://www.justnn.com

EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network. email steve@easynn.com

Re: Isopropyl alcohol

<sgo5nd$51u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=54268&group=alt.comp.os.windows-10#54268

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.os.windows-10
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 15:20:13 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:K5uKDHC7u5C3KN8g2QPRyp4ZVcs=
 by: Chris - Wed, 1 Sep 2021 15:20 UTC

VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> VanguardLH <V@nguard.LH> wrote:
>>
>>> I cannot lookup whatever is the TCP to which you refer. An online
>>> search is obviously going to predominately find articles about
>>> Transmission Control Protocol in networking.
>>
>> You need to learn how to google better.
>
> I don't bother looking at more than 2 pages of hits. TCP means
> something to you in your region. To the rest of the world, it is about
> networking.
>
> You don't tell something to go use Google. That is being lazy, rude,
> and deliberately obtuse. If you claim a Google search will find
> something then provide the search criteria; else, you don't show that
> even you could find it.

Is it really that hard for you? It's literally only an extra word.
https://googlethatforyou.com?q=tcp%20antiseptic