Star Trek Lives!

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.

SubjectAuthor
* Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Farley Flud
+- Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Joel
+* Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.rbowman
|`* Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Farley Flud
| +- Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.DFS
| `- Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.rbowman
+* Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Tyrone
|+* Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Joel
||`* Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Tyrone
|| +* Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Joel
|| |`* Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Tyrone
|| | +- Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Joel
|| | `- Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.RabidPedagog
|| +- Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Physfitfreak
|| `* Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.rbowman
||  `* Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Chris Ahlstrom
||   `- Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.rbowman
|+- Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Physfitfreak
|+* Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.rbowman
||`* Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Tyrone
|| +* Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Chris Ahlstrom
|| |`- Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Joel
|| `- Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.rbowman
|+* Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.RonB
||+- Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Joel
||+* Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.RabidPedagog
|||+* Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Lord Master
|||`* Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.RonB
||| `- Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.RabidPedagog
||`* Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Tyrone
|| +- Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Joel
|| `- Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.RonB
|`- Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Chris Ahlstrom
+* Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.vallor
|+- Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Joel
|+- Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Farley Flud
|`* Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Chris Ahlstrom
| `* Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.candycanearter07
|  `* Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Chris Ahlstrom
|   `* Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.vallor
|    +- Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.%
|    +- Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Chris Ahlstrom
|    `- Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.candycanearter07
+* Re: Why Do People Dislike Windows? Maybe This.Lawrence D'Oliveiro
|`* Re: Why Do People Dislike Windows? Maybe This.Farley Flud
| +* Re: Why Do People Dislike Windows? Maybe This.Joel
| |`* Re: Why Do People Dislike Windows? Maybe This.DFS
| | +* Re: Why Do People Dislike Windows? Maybe This.RabidPedagog
| | |`* Re: Why Do People Dislike Windows? Maybe This.Lawrence D'Oliveiro
| | | +* Re: Why Do People Dislike Windows? Maybe This.RabidPedagog
| | | `* Re: Why Do People Dislike Windows? Maybe This.DFS
| | |  `- Re: Why Do People Dislike Windows? Maybe This.RabidPedagog
| | `* Re: Why Do People Dislike Windows? Maybe This.Joel
| |  `* Re: Why Do People Dislike Windows? Maybe This.%
| |   `- Re: Why Do People Dislike Windows? Maybe This.Joel
| +- Re: Why Do People Dislike Windows? Maybe This.DFS
| `* Re: Why Do People Dislike Windows? Maybe This.Lawrence D'Oliveiro
|  `* Re: Why Do People Dislike Windows? Maybe This.Farley Flud
|   +- Re: Why Do People Dislike Windows? Maybe This.Lawrence D'Oliveiro
|   +- Re: Why Do People Dislike Windows? Maybe This.Joel
|   `- Re: Why Do People Dislike Windows? Maybe This.rbowman
+- Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.DFS
`- Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.Stéphane CARPENTIER

Pages:123
Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.

<17b38d9927fae11c$85782$395177$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10027&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10027

From: ff@linux.rocks (Farley Flud)
Subject: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 22:46:12 +0000
 by: Farley Flud - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 22:46 UTC

Hey GNU/Linux aficionados! (Distro jockeys get lost.)

Most people don't even know about desktop Linux, but the
few ones that do know don't seem too enthused.

Why is this?

Recently, I had a problem that required me to use a Linux
"rescue" USB. I used the Gentoo Live distro that contains
KDE Plasma as the DE.

Oh my fucking God! KDE Plasma is droll to say the very
least. Plasma impresses me like the art work of elementary
school students who post their "creations" on the school
bulletin boards. It is puerile junk. It is almost laughable.

Then there is System Rescue, another live USB, that contains
the XFCE DE. Again, pure juvenile garbage. It can make one
sick just to use that crap.

What about GNOME? I believe that Gentoo Live USBs used to
offer a choice of DEs, including GNOME. IIRC, GNOME was
equally puerile.

All I can say is this: Most popular GNU/Linux distros present
GUIs that appear to be designed by schoolchildren during
recess.

Can there be any doubt that most people would just puke
and return to Microslop Winblows?

GNU/Linux is by far the superior OS, but one would never
suspect when given the popular DE offerings.

I use FVWM3 window manager and it is truly beautiful
in its simplicity and functionality. The same can be
said for OpenBox.

But the popular DEs? They can only repel and not attract.

Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.

<k6tnsips8mpc1tfte9of1lk2mf65da3li4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10031&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10031

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 18:02:09 -0500
 by: Joel - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 23:02 UTC

Farley Flud <ff@linux.rocks> wrote:

>Hey GNU/Linux aficionados! (Distro jockeys get lost.)
>
>Most people don't even know about desktop Linux, but the
>few ones that do know don't seem too enthused.
>
>Why is this?
>
>Recently, I had a problem that required me to use a Linux
>"rescue" USB. I used the Gentoo Live distro that contains
>KDE Plasma as the DE.
>
>Oh my fucking God! KDE Plasma is droll to say the very
>least. Plasma impresses me like the art work of elementary
>school students who post their "creations" on the school
>bulletin boards. It is puerile junk. It is almost laughable.
>
>Then there is System Rescue, another live USB, that contains
>the XFCE DE. Again, pure juvenile garbage. It can make one
>sick just to use that crap.
>
>What about GNOME? I believe that Gentoo Live USBs used to
>offer a choice of DEs, including GNOME. IIRC, GNOME was
>equally puerile.
>
>All I can say is this: Most popular GNU/Linux distros present
>GUIs that appear to be designed by schoolchildren during
>recess.
>
>Can there be any doubt that most people would just puke
>and return to Microslop Winblows?
>
>GNU/Linux is by far the superior OS, but one would never
>suspect when given the popular DE offerings.
>
>I use FVWM3 window manager and it is truly beautiful
>in its simplicity and functionality. The same can be
>said for OpenBox.
>
>But the popular DEs? They can only repel and not attract.

Congrats, Russell, you're almost as convincing in your advocacy as
vallor! Heh.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.

<l32b83FasukU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10033&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10033

From: bowman@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 13 Feb 2024 23:11:01 GMT
 by: rbowman - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 23:11 UTC

On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 22:46:12 +0000, Farley Flud wrote:

> I use FVWM3 window manager and it is truly beautiful in its simplicity
> and functionality. The same can be said for OpenBox.

It figures you would use the Feeble Virtual Windows Manager.

In truth I used it back when the dinosaurs ruled the earth then I switched
to IceWM. Then there was Sawfish that I didn't care for.

At this time I have machines with KDE Plasma, GNOME, and xfce, take your
pick. I don't spend time admiring their aesthetics although I do prefer
KDE.

Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.

<ESednfUCDMIAnlH4nZ2dnZfqnPadnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10038&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10038

From: none@none.none (Tyrone)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 00:04:45 +0000
 by: Tyrone - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 00:04 UTC

On Feb 13, 2024 at 5:46:12 PM EST, "Farley Flud" <ff@linux.rocks> wrote:

> All I can say is this: Most popular GNU/Linux distros present
> GUIs that appear to be designed by schoolchildren during
> recess.

It is actually much worse than that. They are "designed" by programmers who
don't have a clue about visual design.

I have made this point before. Congratulations. You are beginning to see
reality.

I have been programming for over 30 years. Yes, professionally and get paid
good money for it. It would never occur to me to attempt to design a screen.
No Project Manager would even ASK me to do it. Someone else designs it. PMs DO
want me to figure out the code and logic on the back end to do what is needed
for the pretty screen front end.

That's how it works in the real world. Good visual design is a VERY different
skill set than good coding and logic.

> Can there be any doubt that most people would just puke
> and return to Microslop Winblows?

This is why Windows and Macs are so successful. They look good because they
employ actual professional designers and are easy to use for non computer
nerds. Linux does neither.

> GNU/Linux is by far the superior OS

Except that it is unusable due to the above. Not usable rules it out as
"superior". Usability counts. MacOS is THE superior OS, being Unix AND looking
good AND easy to use for non computer nerds.

Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.

<9g1osi1npi5osovndqjtq0tjbktecv0pdi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10041&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10041

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 19:18:15 -0500
 by: Joel - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 00:18 UTC

Tyrone <none@none.none> wrote:

>On Feb 13, 2024 at 5:46:12?PM EST, "Farley Flud" <ff@linux.rocks> wrote:
>
>> All I can say is this: Most popular GNU/Linux distros present
>> GUIs that appear to be designed by schoolchildren during
>> recess.
>
>It is actually much worse than that. They are "designed" by programmers who
>don't have a clue about visual design.
>
>I have made this point before. Congratulations. You are beginning to see
>reality.
>
>I have been programming for over 30 years. Yes, professionally and get paid
>good money for it. It would never occur to me to attempt to design a screen.
>No Project Manager would even ASK me to do it. Someone else designs it. PMs DO
>want me to figure out the code and logic on the back end to do what is needed
>for the pretty screen front end.
>
>That's how it works in the real world. Good visual design is a VERY different
>skill set than good coding and logic.
>
>> Can there be any doubt that most people would just puke
>> and return to Microslop Winblows?
>
>This is why Windows and Macs are so successful. They look good because they
>employ actual professional designers and are easy to use for non computer
>nerds. Linux does neither.
>
>> GNU/Linux is by far the superior OS
>
>Except that it is unusable due to the above. Not usable rules it out as
>"superior". Usability counts. MacOS is THE superior OS, being Unix AND looking
>good AND easy to use for non computer nerds.

I dunno what Apple spoon-fed you to beLIEve that BS, but Linux Mint
Cinnamon has every GUI beauty-ness you could want, without M$ or Apple
holding your hand. Russell will claim it's just turning Linux into
Winblows, I guess, but then again he's a retard. But at least he
isn't paying Apple, like your ass.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.

<uqh4pl$28a7h$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10042&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10042

From: vallor@cultnix.org (vallor)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 01:25:10 -0000 (UTC)
XL'`91kd%N::LG:=*\35JS0prp\VJN^<s"b#bff@fA7]5lJA.jn,x_d%Md$,{.EZ
 by: vallor - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 01:25 UTC

On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 22:46:12 +0000, Farley Flud <ff@linux.rocks> wrote in
<17b38d9927fae11c$85782$395177$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>:

> Hey GNU/Linux aficionados! (Distro jockeys get lost.)
>
> Most people don't even know about desktop Linux, but the
> few ones that do know don't seem too enthused.
>
> Why is this?
>
> Recently, I had a problem that required me to use a Linux
> "rescue" USB. I used the Gentoo Live distro that contains
> KDE Plasma as the DE.
>
> Oh my fucking God! KDE Plasma is droll to say the very
> least. Plasma impresses me like the art work of elementary
> school students who post their "creations" on the school
> bulletin boards. It is puerile junk. It is almost laughable.
>
> Then there is System Rescue, another live USB, that contains
> the XFCE DE. Again, pure juvenile garbage. It can make one
> sick just to use that crap.
>
> What about GNOME? I believe that Gentoo Live USBs used to
> offer a choice of DEs, including GNOME. IIRC, GNOME was
> equally puerile.
>
> All I can say is this: Most popular GNU/Linux distros present
> GUIs that appear to be designed by schoolchildren during
> recess.
>
> Can there be any doubt that most people would just puke
> and return to Microslop Winblows?
>
> GNU/Linux is by far the superior OS, but one would never
> suspect when given the popular DE offerings.
>
> I use FVWM3 window manager and it is truly beautiful
> in its simplicity and functionality. The same can be
> said for OpenBox.
>
> But the popular DEs? They can only repel and not attract.

xfce4 does the job for me.

What do you want to do with fvwm that can't be done with
xfce?

(I used to use fvwm...I think in the 90's?)

--
-v

Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.

<296ositk1uvdjp9lts84h4f1om5od1og54@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10044&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10044

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 20:38:26 -0500
 by: Joel - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 01:38 UTC

vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:
>On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 22:46:12 +0000, Farley Flud <ff@linux.rocks> wrote in
><17b38d9927fae11c$85782$395177$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>:
>
>> Hey GNU/Linux aficionados! (Distro jockeys get lost.)
>>
>> Most people don't even know about desktop Linux, but the
>> few ones that do know don't seem too enthused.
>>
>> Why is this?
>>
>> Recently, I had a problem that required me to use a Linux
>> "rescue" USB. I used the Gentoo Live distro that contains
>> KDE Plasma as the DE.
>>
>> Oh my fucking God! KDE Plasma is droll to say the very
>> least. Plasma impresses me like the art work of elementary
>> school students who post their "creations" on the school
>> bulletin boards. It is puerile junk. It is almost laughable.
>>
>> Then there is System Rescue, another live USB, that contains
>> the XFCE DE. Again, pure juvenile garbage. It can make one
>> sick just to use that crap.
>>
>> What about GNOME? I believe that Gentoo Live USBs used to
>> offer a choice of DEs, including GNOME. IIRC, GNOME was
>> equally puerile.
>>
>> All I can say is this: Most popular GNU/Linux distros present
>> GUIs that appear to be designed by schoolchildren during
>> recess.
>>
>> Can there be any doubt that most people would just puke
>> and return to Microslop Winblows?
>>
>> GNU/Linux is by far the superior OS, but one would never
>> suspect when given the popular DE offerings.
>>
>> I use FVWM3 window manager and it is truly beautiful
>> in its simplicity and functionality. The same can be
>> said for OpenBox.
>>
>> But the popular DEs? They can only repel and not attract.
>
>xfce4 does the job for me.
>
>What do you want to do with fvwm that can't be done with
>xfce?
>
>(I used to use fvwm...I think in the 90's?)

You're talking to a guy who doesn't even use a distro with a
distinguishable interface. It's such purism, stupidity, like OK dude
you have a very short list of processes, congrats, meanwhile my
computer can handle Mint, it doesn't overload it anymore than Win11
would, FFS. Just retarded.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.

<u3adncg5YaaCvFH4nZ2dnZfqn_adnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10047&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10047

From: none@none.none (Tyrone)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 02:10:39 +0000
 by: Tyrone - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 02:10 UTC

On Feb 13, 2024 at 7:18:15 PM EST, "Joel" <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote:

> I dunno what Apple spoon-fed you to beLIEve that BS, but Linux Mint
> Cinnamon has every GUI beauty-ness you could want, without M$ or Apple
> holding your hand. Russell will claim it's just turning Linux into
> Winblows, I guess, but then again he's a retard. But at least he
> isn't paying Apple, like your ass.

Nothing spoon fed here. Who is "holding my hand"? I have been using computers
for longer than you have been alive. I was programming a Honeywell H-200
mainframe in Fortran and COBOL - on 80 column punch cards! - in 1974. I
bought my first computer in 1978. I was writing games in Assembly language by
1979.

So spare me your condescending bullshit, Mr. "I use Linux so I know more about
computers than someone using a Mac".

Paying Apple? Why is that bad? You pay for lots of things in this life.
That's how the world works.

Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.

<r49osid0giufrt3n6qptusmri6vkdrid85@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10048&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10048

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 21:30:37 -0500
 by: Joel - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 02:30 UTC

Tyrone <none@none.none> wrote:

>> I dunno what Apple spoon-fed you to beLIEve that BS, but Linux Mint
>> Cinnamon has every GUI beauty-ness you could want, without M$ or Apple
>> holding your hand. Russell will claim it's just turning Linux into
>> Winblows, I guess, but then again he's a retard. But at least he
>> isn't paying Apple, like your ass.
>
>Nothing spoon fed here. Who is "holding my hand"? I have been using computers
>for longer than you have been alive. I was programming a Honeywell H-200
>mainframe in Fortran and COBOL - on 80 column punch cards! - in 1974. I
>bought my first computer in 1978. I was writing games in Assembly language by
>1979.
>
>So spare me your condescending bullshit, Mr. "I use Linux so I know more about
>computers than someone using a Mac".
>
>Paying Apple? Why is that bad? You pay for lots of things in this life.
>That's how the world works.

> Can there be any doubt that most people would just puke
> and return to Microslop Winblows?

This is why Windows and Macs are so successful. They look good because
they employ actual professional designers and are easy to use for non
computer nerds. Linux does neither.

> GNU/Linux is by far the superior OS

Except that it is unusable due to the above. Not usable rules it out
as "superior". Usability counts. MacOS is THE superior OS, being Unix
AND looking good AND easy to use for non computer nerds.
<<<

Tell me how you did not imply that there isn't a pretty Linux distro,
in that pro-Mac bullshit spew. Because you definitely did. You love
Steve Jobs' cock up your ass. I love Stallman and Torvalds', for my
part, 'cause they're giving me an almost unlimited life for my
computer.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.

<uqh9g2$3o4o$2@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10049&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10049

From: Physfitfreak@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 20:45:22 -0600
 by: Physfitfreak - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 02:45 UTC

On 2/13/2024 6:04 PM, Tyrone wrote:
> I have been programming for over 30 years.

What programming language did you use?

Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.

<uqh9o4$3o4o$3@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10050&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10050

From: Physfitfreak@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 20:49:40 -0600
 by: Physfitfreak - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 02:49 UTC

On 2/13/2024 8:10 PM, Tyrone wrote:
> Nothing spoon fed here. Who is "holding my hand"? I have been using computers
> for longer than you have been alive. I was programming a Honeywell H-200
> mainframe in Fortran and COBOL - on 80 column punch cards! - in 1974. I
> bought my first computer in 1978. I was writing games in Assembly language by
> 1979.

Why wouldn't you prove that by writing and posting the program that can
add two numbers in base e :-)

Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.

<l32scpFebikU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10053&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10053

From: bowman@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 14 Feb 2024 04:03:37 GMT
 by: rbowman - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 04:03 UTC

On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 00:04:45 +0000, Tyrone wrote:

> I have been programming for over 30 years. Yes, professionally and get
> paid good money for it. It would never occur to me to attempt to design
> a screen. No Project Manager would even ASK me to do it. Someone else
> designs it. PMs DO want me to figure out the code and logic on the back
> end to do what is needed for the pretty screen front end.

I've made that point many times. As a programmer to design a new GUI and
it will either liik a lot like the old one or will look like a pile of dog
shit. otoh UX designers shouldn't be let anywhere near code.

I once made the mistake of suggesting one of those wireframe apps to rough
out a GUI design. My boss was disappointed when the mockup didn't actually
work. In any case there were a lot more 'I don't like that' than 'I think
it should look like that'.

Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.

<l32sfbFebikU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10054&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10054

From: bowman@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 14 Feb 2024 04:05:00 GMT
 by: rbowman - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 04:05 UTC

On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 02:10:39 +0000, Tyrone wrote:

> Nothing spoon fed here. Who is "holding my hand"? I have been using
> computers for longer than you have been alive. I was programming a
> Honeywell H-200 mainframe in Fortran and COBOL - on 80 column punch
> cards! - in 1974. I bought my first computer in 1978. I was writing
> games in Assembly language by 1979.

Late starter...

Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.

<myadnfWYesqv31H4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10056&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10056

From: none@none.none (Tyrone)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 04:31:46 +0000
 by: Tyrone - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 04:31 UTC

On Feb 13, 2024 at 9:30:37 PM EST, "Joel" <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote:

> You love Steve Jobs' cock up your ass.

No, that's you. You delusional, drug addicted, flaming faggot.

Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.

<oiGdnQVJ58nI3lH4nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10058&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10058

From: none@none.none (Tyrone)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 04:36:37 +0000
 by: Tyrone - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 04:36 UTC

On Feb 13, 2024 at 11:03:37 PM EST, "rbowman" <bowman@montana.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 00:04:45 +0000, Tyrone wrote:
>
>> I have been programming for over 30 years. Yes, professionally and get
>> paid good money for it. It would never occur to me to attempt to design
>> a screen. No Project Manager would even ASK me to do it. Someone else
>> designs it. PMs DO want me to figure out the code and logic on the back
>> end to do what is needed for the pretty screen front end.
>
> I've made that point many times. As a programmer to design a new GUI and
> it will either liik a lot like the old one or will look like a pile of dog
> shit.

Exactly. Which explains why most Linux apps/GUIs/whatever look the way they
do.

Re: Why Do People Dislike Windows? Maybe This.

<uqhg33$2gjg9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10059&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10059

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why Do People Dislike Windows? Maybe This.
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 04:37:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 04:37 UTC

All I can say is this: most popular versions of Microsoft Windows present
GUIs that appear to be designed by schoolchildren during recess.

Can there be any doubt that most people would just puke
and return to their lovely corporate Linux clouds?

Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.

<8ehosipshksjvq5gcournipfjde5c9kb3j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10061&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10061

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 23:47:31 -0500
 by: Joel - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 04:47 UTC

Tyrone <none@none.none> wrote:

>> You love Steve Jobs' cock up your ass.
>
>No, that's you. You delusional, drug addicted, flaming faggot.

Heh. You don't even know who I am, do you?

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.

<uqhp9p$2holm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10064&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10064

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 07:15:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 07:15 UTC

On 2024-02-14, Tyrone <none@none.none> wrote:
> On Feb 13, 2024 at 5:46:12 PM EST, "Farley Flud" <ff@linux.rocks> wrote:
>
>> All I can say is this: Most popular GNU/Linux distros present
>> GUIs that appear to be designed by schoolchildren during
>> recess.
>
> It is actually much worse than that. They are "designed" by programmers who
> don't have a clue about visual design.

Really? Because Cinnamon looks a whole lot like Windows 10 and 11. And so
does Mate and Xfce the way Linux Mint sets it up.

> I have made this point before. Congratulations. You are beginning to see
> reality.
>
> I have been programming for over 30 years. Yes, professionally and get paid
> good money for it. It would never occur to me to attempt to design a screen.
> No Project Manager would even ASK me to do it. Someone else designs it. PMs DO
> want me to figure out the code and logic on the back end to do what is needed
> for the pretty screen front end.
>
> That's how it works in the real world. Good visual design is a VERY different
> skill set than good coding and logic.
>
>> Can there be any doubt that most people would just puke
>> and return to Microslop Winblows?
>
> This is why Windows and Macs are so successful. They look good because they
> employ actual professional designers and are easy to use for non computer
> nerds. Linux does neither.

And Linux can look almost exactly like Windows or Mac OS when customized.

>> GNU/Linux is by far the superior OS
>
> Except that it is unusable due to the above. Not usable rules it out as
> "superior". Usability counts. MacOS is THE superior OS, being Unix AND looking
> good AND easy to use for non computer nerds.

Strangely enough it's been quite usable by me for some 17-18 years. Maybe
some examples of why you think is "unusable?" Because I, personally think
the Cinnamon desktop is superior to both Windows and Mac OS.

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."

Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.

<bososi928k4sodfgltdsglt6kq1tua7a8c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10065&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10065

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 03:02:50 -0500
 by: Joel - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 08:02 UTC

RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 2024-02-14, Tyrone <none@none.none> wrote:
>> On Feb 13, 2024 at 5:46:12?PM EST, "Farley Flud" <ff@linux.rocks> wrote:
>>
>>> GNU/Linux is by far the superior OS
>>
>> Except that it is unusable due to the above. Not usable rules it out as
>> "superior". Usability counts. MacOS is THE superior OS, being Unix AND looking
>> good AND easy to use for non computer nerds.
>
>Strangely enough it's been quite usable by me for some 17-18 years. Maybe
>some examples of why you think is "unusable?" Because I, personally think
>the Cinnamon desktop is superior to both Windows and Mac OS.

Tyrone is just an Apple fanboy, no one with the kind of background in
computing he has would be here talking about macOS, but for some
retarded fetish for their crapware. I think *you*'re an imbecile for
other reasons, but you do have good taste in software.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.

<17b3adecf95c9903$197700$2561121$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10066&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10066

From: ff@linux.rocks (Farley Flud)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 08:38:37 +0000
 by: Farley Flud - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 08:38 UTC

On 13 Feb 2024 23:11:01 GMT, rbowman wrote:

> I don't spend time admiring their aesthetics although I do prefer
> KDE.

Aesthetics is a BIG PART of the personal computing experience.
If one sits of front of the screen for long periods, as most
Linux enthusiasts do, then it has to look good.

Consider Midnight Commander (MC), one of the great wonders (literally)
of the GNU/Linux world. I use it nearly constantly since file
manipulation is a central computing task.

The MC default color scheme is SICKENING. It is a pale blue
with white text and some pale green splashed here and there.
YECCH! It's enough to make a person vomit. There is no way
I would ever use MC if I couldn't change the colors and fonts.

Fortunately, there are a lot of "themes" for MC and I currently
use beckman256. Now using MC is a pure sensory joy.

Aesthetics are indeed critical, and the popular DEs present
puerile junk.

The case is closed.

Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.

<17b3ae3cc266939d$197701$2561121$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10067&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10067

From: ff@linux.rocks (Farley Flud)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 08:44:19 +0000
 by: Farley Flud - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 08:44 UTC

On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 01:25:10 -0000 (UTC), vallor wrote:

> What do you want to do with fvwm that can't be done with
> xfce?

Nothing. As the Unix saying goes, less is more.

But, FYI, fvwm3 is *not* a DE. Got that?

Fvwm3 is a WM. Got that?

Learn the difference.

DE = Desktop Environment (for secretaries and pussies)

WM = Window Manager (for computing professionals)

Re: Why Do People Dislike Windows? Maybe This.

<17b3af0786b3ab30$314934$2975682$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10068&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10068

From: ff@linux.rocks (Farley Flud)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 08:58:50 +0000
 by: Farley Flud - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 08:58 UTC

On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 04:37:55 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> All I can say is this: most popular versions of Microsoft Windows present
> GUIs that appear to be designed by schoolchildren during recess.

It's not the GUI that causes (or should cause) people to flee Microslop.
It is the general nature of the OS itself, which is garbage.

But the Microslop GUI is more professional in design than the GNU/Linux DEs,
with the exception of it rigidity. With M$ there are only two themes, light
and dark, and both are annoying in the long term.

GNU/Linux, however, offers more flexibility in being nearly infinitely
configurable. At least that used to be the case. With GTK+3 we now see
much greater GUI rigidity.

That's why I use only WMs and stick with fvwm3. It is based in the "old
school" philosophy of offering an abundance of user control.

Re: Why Do People Dislike Windows? Maybe This.

<3m0psi1hjpvcull4cqrsjou95hkqirjq5u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10069&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10069

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 04:08:38 -0500
 by: Joel - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 09:08 UTC

Farley Flud <ff@linux.rocks> wrote:
>On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 04:37:55 -0000 (UTC), Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> All I can say is this: most popular versions of Microsoft Windows present
>> GUIs that appear to be designed by schoolchildren during recess.
>
>It's not the GUI that causes (or should cause) people to flee Microslop.
>It is the general nature of the OS itself, which is garbage.
>
>But the Microslop GUI is more professional in design than the GNU/Linux DEs,
>with the exception of it rigidity. With M$ there are only two themes, light
>and dark, and both are annoying in the long term.
>
>GNU/Linux, however, offers more flexibility in being nearly infinitely
>configurable. At least that used to be the case. With GTK+3 we now see
>much greater GUI rigidity.
>
>That's why I use only WMs and stick with fvwm3. It is based in the "old
>school" philosophy of offering an abundance of user control.

And you just converted millions to Linux, heh. Your advocacy speaks
for itself ...

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.

<V93zN.432047$p%Mb.131661@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10071&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10071

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 08:24:05 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 13:24 UTC

On 2024-02-13 11:31 p.m., Tyrone wrote:
> On Feb 13, 2024 at 9:30:37 PM EST, "Joel" <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You love Steve Jobs' cock up your ass.
>
> No, that's you. You delusional, drug addicted, flaming faggot.

+1. That is a fair and balanced description of Joel Crump.

--
RabidPedagog
Catholic paleoconservative

Re: Why Do People Dislike Linux? Maybe This.

<5n3zN.324697$Wp_8.117856@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10073&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10073

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 08:38:09 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 13:38 UTC

On 2024-02-14 2:15 a.m., RonB wrote:
> On 2024-02-14, Tyrone <none@none.none> wrote:
>> On Feb 13, 2024 at 5:46:12 PM EST, "Farley Flud" <ff@linux.rocks> wrote:
>>
>>> All I can say is this: Most popular GNU/Linux distros present
>>> GUIs that appear to be designed by schoolchildren during
>>> recess.
>>
>> It is actually much worse than that. They are "designed" by programmers who
>> don't have a clue about visual design.
>
> Really? Because Cinnamon looks a whole lot like Windows 10 and 11. And so
> does Mate and Xfce the way Linux Mint sets it up.

Windows 11 looks better than Cinnamon whereas Cinnamon looks better than
10. 10 has a clunky feel to it that no amount of updates can eradicate.
Nevertheless, Cinnamon is a lot more responsive than either 11 or 10 can
hope to be. A lot of people, myself included, would gladly sacrifice
aesthetics for snappy behaviour.

>> I have made this point before. Congratulations. You are beginning to see
>> reality.
>>
>> I have been programming for over 30 years. Yes, professionally and get paid
>> good money for it. It would never occur to me to attempt to design a screen.
>> No Project Manager would even ASK me to do it. Someone else designs it. PMs DO
>> want me to figure out the code and logic on the back end to do what is needed
>> for the pretty screen front end.
>>
>> That's how it works in the real world. Good visual design is a VERY different
>> skill set than good coding and logic.
>>
>>> Can there be any doubt that most people would just puke
>>> and return to Microslop Winblows?
>>
>> This is why Windows and Macs are so successful. They look good because they
>> employ actual professional designers and are easy to use for non computer
>> nerds. Linux does neither.
>
> And Linux can look almost exactly like Windows or Mac OS when customized.

Look like but not behave like. With the use of Flatpaks, Linux is
getting close to the Mac in terms of simplicity for application
installation and uninstallation since no remnants are left behind, but
the Mac is still a lot more comprehensive. Since the very beginning, it
was built to be as intuitive as possible and it is indeed as intuitive
as possible. Don't want an app? Drag it to the trash. Want to add a
picture to your e-mail? Drag it to the compose window. Want to add a
logo to a document you're writing? Drag it to the document editor.
Everyone has tried to imitate it and only partially succeeded. However,
even if they managed to get it right, they have something else to figure
out: how to make the imitator as power efficient and reliable as Macs
generally are. I can _easily_ get over ten hours of battery life on the
MacBook Air whereas compromises are necessary for a PC. Even if I
managed to get ten hours on a PC, the battery will be larger and speed
will be a fraction of what it was the moment I unplug the unit. With the
Mac, there is no difference in performance when it is unplugged. If the
PC can migrate to ARM and do it properly, they can offer something
alluring to a customer who doesn't care about gaming. If not, Mac's
market share will only grow.

Notice I haven't even mentioned how beautifully the Mac integrates with
other Apple products. You won't be able to do anything as seamless with
either Windows or Linux.

>>> GNU/Linux is by far the superior OS
>>
>> Except that it is unusable due to the above. Not usable rules it out as
>> "superior". Usability counts. MacOS is THE superior OS, being Unix AND looking
>> good AND easy to use for non computer nerds.
>
> Strangely enough it's been quite usable by me for some 17-18 years. Maybe
> some examples of why you think is "unusable?" Because I, personally think
> the Cinnamon desktop is superior to both Windows and Mac OS.

It's a fantastic desktop environment and gives Linux users something
they won't need to constantly fight against to get work done. Cinnamon
just gives the user a comprehensive experience whereas other desktop
environments seem to want to cater to developers who adapt very easily
to interface changes. Cinnamon is familiar and easy to understand,
something that can't be said about Gnome or KDE if you put yourself in
the shoes of an average user.