Evolution is a million line computer program falling into place by accident.

devel / comp.infosystems.gemini / How do you access this newsgroup?

SubjectAuthor
* How do you access this newsgroup?Rob S
+* Re: How do you access this newsgroup?Geeknix
|`* Re: How do you access this newsgroup?rtr
| `- Re: How do you access this newsgroup?Daniel Goldsmith
+- Re: How do you access this newsgroup?Jason Evans
+* Re: How do you access this newsgroup?Ben
|+- Re: How do you access this newsgroup?reidrac
|`- Re: How do you access this newsgroup?Pinku Basudei
+* Re: How do you access this newsgroup?mbays
|`* Re: How do you access this newsgroup?szczezuja
| +* Re: How do you access this newsgroup?rek2 hispagatos
| |`- Re: How do you access this newsgroup?bacardi55
| `- Re: How do you access this newsgroup?Vasco Costa
+- Re: How do you access this newsgroup?Daniel Fleischer
+- Re: How do you access this newsgroup?carriunix
+- Re: How do you access this newsgroup?news
+- Re: How do you access this newsgroup?bunburya
+- Re: How do you access this newsgroup?Jason McBrayer
+* Re: How do you access this newsgroup?blu.256
|+- Re: How do you access this newsgroup?Geeknix
|`- Re: How do you access this newsgroup?Theo
+* Re: How do you access this newsgroup?Kévin
|`- Re: How do you access this newsgroup?Dan Purgert
+- Re: How do you access this newsgroup?rtr
+- Re: How do you access this newsgroup?-fab-
+- Re: How do you access this newsgroup?f6k
+- Re: How do you access this newsgroup?Abid H. Mujtaba
+* Re: How do you access this newsgroup?Chris Narkiewicz
|+- Re: How do you access this newsgroup?D
|`- Re: How do you access this newsgroup?MattoF
`* Re: How do you access this newsgroup?Cobra!
 +- Re: How do you access this newsgroup?aRubes
 `* Re: How do you access this newsgroup?Austen Wells
  `- Re: How do you access this newsgroup?cr0c0d1le

Pages:12
How do you access this newsgroup?

<srb02m$igl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=24&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#24

From: jsreed5@protonmail.com (Rob S)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Subject: How do you access this newsgroup?
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 21:23:00 -0600
 by: Rob S - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 03:23 UTC

Do you use a paid Usenet account, a free account on a site like Eternal
September, or an open service such as Aioe? What newsgroup reader do you
use?

If new or prospective Gemini users wanted to join the group, how would
you recommend they do it?

Rob S

Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

<slrnstiabf.e4h.usenet@raspberrypi.geeknix.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=25&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#25

Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
From: usenet@apple.geeknix135.net (Geeknix)
Subject: Re: How do you access this newsgroup?
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 06:04:31 GMT
 by: Geeknix - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 06:04 UTC

On 2022-01-08, Rob S <jsreed5@protonmail.com> wrote:
> Do you use a paid Usenet account, a free account on a site like Eternal
> September, or an open service such as Aioe? What newsgroup reader do you
> use?
>
> If new or prospective Gemini users wanted to join the group, how would
> you recommend they do it?

Don't mind sharing how I do it, not sure I can recommend how Gemini
users could do it.

I have a paid account for NZB that I also use for posting. I use SLRN on
a RaspberryPi that I access from laptops via SSH.

--
Don't be afraid of the deep...
--[ bbs.bottomlessabyss.net | https | telnet=2023 ]--

Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

<srb9v6$gpn$2@theuse.news.theuse.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=26&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#26

From: jsevans@mailfence.com (Jason Evans)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 06:11:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jason Evans - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 06:11 UTC

On Fri, 7 Jan 2022 21:23:00 -0600, Rob S wrote:

> Do you use a paid Usenet account, a free account on a site like Eternal
> September, or an open service such as Aioe? What newsgroup reader do you
> use?
>
> If new or prospective Gemini users wanted to join the group, how would
> you recommend they do it?
>
> Rob S

Hi Rob,

I run my own Usenet server, but if I didn't I would use Eternal-September.
I'm a Linux user and I use the Pan newsreader. I also sometimes tinker
with the slrn and Emacs Gnus, but they have a much steeper learning curve.

I wrote a couple of tutorials on how to get started with Usenet here:
https://www.big-8.org/wiki/Tutorials.

Jason

Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

<srbbic$h4f$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=27&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#27

From: benk@tilde.team (Ben)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 10:09:08 +0330
 by: Ben - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 06:39 UTC

I'm using AIOE with Thunderbird. It was just the first thing I was able
to get working, and probably the easiest.

--
gemini://kwiecien.us/

Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

<srbfga$1rcs$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=28&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#28

From: reidrac@minibox.invalid
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 07:46:18 +0000
 by: reidrac@minibox.invalid - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 07:46 UTC

On 08/01/2022 06:39, Ben wrote:
> I'm using AIOE with Thunderbird. It was just the first thing I was able
> to get working, and probably the easiest.

Yes, I'm using the same.

I don't use news for anything else. The last time I used it I think it
was in 1999 with Pine and my Uni account.

Juan

Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

<slrnstil3c.uvn.mbays@ma.sdf.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=29&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#29

Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
From: mbays@sdf.org
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 09:07:56 GMT
 by: mbays@sdf.org - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 09:07 UTC

On 2022-01-08, Rob S <jsreed5@protonmail.com> wrote:
> Do you use a paid Usenet account, a free account on a site like Eternal
> September, or an open service such as Aioe? What newsgroup reader do you
> use?

I'm using slrn via sdf. They used to have usenet access for all users,
but sadly that went down about a year ago, and now only subscription
"MetaARPA" users have access. So this isn't really a method to recommend
to someone just wanting usenet access.

Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

<20220108112147.c58a3dcb7aaaea7e731b98c4@straylight.freeside.l5>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=30&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#30

From: pinku@straylight.freeside.l5 (Pinku Basudei)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 11:21:47 +0100
 by: Pinku Basudei - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 10:21 UTC

On Sat, 8 Jan 2022 10:09:08 +0330
Ben <benk@tilde.team> wrote:

> I'm using AIOE with Thunderbird. It was just the first thing I was able
> to get working, and probably the easiest.
>
> --
> gemini://kwiecien.us/

Same here but I use Sylpheed which is also my mail client. I'm from Europe and I like that Aioe is in Europe too so that Usenet don't become a US 7-bit only thing.

--

/ Pinku

Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

<m2czl2h4es.fsf@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=31&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#31

From: danflscr@gmail.com (Daniel Fleischer)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 13:07:23 +0200
 by: Daniel Fleischer - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 11:07 UTC

Rob S <jsreed5@protonmail.com> writes:

> Do you use a paid Usenet account, a free account on a site like Eternal September, or an open service such as Aioe? What
> newsgroup reader do you use?

Like my answer to every question: Emacs. Built in Gnus can read news
groups, just point it to "nntp.aioe.org" and that's it.

--

Daniel Fleischer

Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

<slrnstjof9.o0k.carriunix@naberrie.padme>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=32&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#32

From: carriunix@gmail.com (carriunix)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 19:07:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: carriunix - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 19:07 UTC

Eternal September + slrn @ slackware64

> If new or prospective Gemini users wanted to join the group, how would
> you recommend they do it?
idem

May the Source be with you!
~carriunix

Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

<1641664982.bystand@zzo38computer.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=33&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#33

From: news@zzo38computer.org.invalid
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 14:02:50 -0800
 by: news@zzo38computer.org.invalid - Sat, 8 Jan 2022 22:02 UTC

Rob S <jsreed5@protonmail.com> wrote:
> Do you use a paid Usenet account, a free account on a site like Eternal
> September, or an open service such as Aioe? What newsgroup reader do you
> use?

I use aioe with my own NNTP client software. (This information can also be
seen by looking at the headers of this message.)

> If new or prospective Gemini users wanted to join the group, how would
> you recommend they do it?

Probably, to find a suitable Usenet server (aioe, Eternal September, or
another one) and then to find a suitable NNTP client software (some email
software already does NNTP, so someone who has email might already have a
suitable program, but there are also other NNTP programs).

--
Don't laugh at the moon when it is day time in France.

Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

<srdd74$q3t$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=34&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#34

From: gemini@bunburya.eu (bunburya)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 01:19:32 +0000
 by: bunburya - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 01:19 UTC

I use AIOE on Thunderbird. AIOE, along with Eternal September, was
recommended on the mailing list when this newsgroup was originally being
discussed. And thankfully the setup process with Thunderbird was fairly
painless.

I am happy to learn about a "new" (to me!) technology in Usenet, but in
the long run I think it is beneficial to have a mailing list as it has a
lower barrier to entry for people who might be curious about the
Geminispace.

(I hope I am sending this reply correctly...)

On 08/01/2022 03:23, Rob S wrote:
> Do you use a paid Usenet account, a free account on a site like Eternal
> September, or an open service such as Aioe? What newsgroup reader do you
> use?
>
> If new or prospective Gemini users wanted to join the group, how would
> you recommend they do it?
>
> Rob S

Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

<87pmp1zil2.fsf@cassilda.carcosa.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=35&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#35

From: jmcbray@carcosa.net (Jason McBrayer)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 22:36:09 -0500
sha1:5fsRIwL0lYz52X7t4Y+z3o/g4+Q=
 by: Jason McBrayer - Sun, 9 Jan 2022 03:36 UTC

Rob S <jsreed5@protonmail.com> writes:

> Do you use a paid Usenet account, a free account on a site like
> Eternal September, or an open service such as Aioe? What newsgroup
> reader do you use?

I use Eternal September, as my ISP dropped Usenet support around 2005. I
will probably get around to running my own server and setting up a feed
at some point, but I'm not in that much of a hurry. I use Gnus as my
newsreader, though I have managed to compile trn for a modern Linux for
trying it out.

> If new or prospective Gemini users wanted to join the group, how would
> you recommend they do it?

For new users, I would recommend they use Thunderbird with an Eternal
September or similar account.

--
Jason McBrayer | “Strange is the night where black stars rise,
jmcbray@carcosa.net | and strange moons circle through the skies,
| but stranger still is lost Carcosa.”
| ― Robert W. Chambers,The King in Yellow

Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

<srgvkv$dq4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=44&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#44

From: mavridisf@gmail.com (blu.256)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 11:51:28 +0200
 by: blu.256 - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 09:51 UTC

> Do you use a paid Usenet account, a free account on a site like Eternal
> September, or an open service such as Aioe? What newsgroup reader do you
> use?

I use Aioe with the news reader that comes with Trinity (KNode).
Unfortunately c.infosystems.gemini is pretty much the only active group I
monitor. Any good suggestions? ;-)

--
blu.256

Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

<slrnsto1lr.4vd.usenet@raspberrypi.geeknix.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=45&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#45

Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
From: usenet@apple.geeknix135.net (Geeknix)
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 10:13:15 GMT
 by: Geeknix - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 10:13 UTC

On 2022-01-10, blu.256 <mavridisf@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you use a paid Usenet account, a free account on a site like Eternal
>> September, or an open service such as Aioe? What newsgroup reader do you
>> use?
> I use Aioe with the news reader that comes with Trinity (KNode).
> Unfortunately c.infosystems.gemini is pretty much the only active group I
> monitor. Any good suggestions? ;-)

I like these groups:

misc.news.internet.discuss
rec.arts.movies.current-films
rec.arts.movies.international
rec.boats
rec.food.cooking
sci.electronics.repair
sci.space.science
uk.comp.homebuilt
uk.rec.sheds
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (c.s.i.p.g.a)

boats and sheds are generally offtopic chatty groups. Last one is good
for gaming we just had a guy giveaway Steam keys for 12 days of xmas :)

--
Don't be afraid of the deep...
--[ bbs.bottomlessabyss.net | https | telnet=2023 ]--
--[ /query geeknix on libera.chat | tilde.chat ]--

Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

<zBe*2xYDy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=47&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#47

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: 10 Jan 2022 20:32:25 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Mon, 10 Jan 2022 20:32 UTC

blu.256 <mavridisf@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Do you use a paid Usenet account, a free account on a site like Eternal
> > September, or an open service such as Aioe? What newsgroup reader do you
> > use?
>
> I use Aioe with the news reader that comes with Trinity (KNode).
> Unfortunately c.infosystems.gemini is pretty much the only active group I
> monitor. Any good suggestions? ;-)

Welcome to Usenet :) I've been using Usenet since 1996, currently via the
'tin' client and private server. I have (checks) 508 groups in my .newsrc,
although many of those are quiet local groups, local mail to news gateways,
dead or full of trolls. Of those that have reasonable amounts of on-topic
traffic (although many groups have a village idiot or few), in no particular
order:

uk.d-i-y
comp.sys.raspberry-pi
comp.arch
comp.mobile.android
comp.risks
comp.arch.embedded
comp.arch.fpga
comp.compilers
comp.lang.c
uk.tech.broadcast
uk.telecom.*
uk.railway
alt.folklore.computers
uk.legal.moderated
uk.comp.homebuilt
uk.rec.motorcycles
uk.comp.sys.mac
comp.misc
sci.misc
comp.lang.forth
comp.infosystems.gemini

and a longer tail of groups where there's good SNR but lower traffic (eg one
post a week).

Learning how to use your newsreader's killfile facility is key, since most
Usenet groups don't have pre-moderation. That's why Google Groups is such a
poor interface, because you can't filter any posters.

Theo
(who saw this new group and subscribed out of curiosity)

Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

<rg3ubixsvtv2.ln2@frank65.news.oh.mg>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=75&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#75

From: usenet@kev.in.ua (Kévin)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 19:46:03 +0000
 by: Kévin - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 19:46 UTC

Tamin'ny 8 Jan 2022 tamin'ny 04:23:00 CET, "Rob S" <jsreed5@protonmail.com>
dia nanoratra hoe:

> Do you use a paid Usenet account, a free account on a site like Eternal
> September, or an open service such as Aioe? What newsgroup reader do you
> use?
>
> If new or prospective Gemini users wanted to join the group, how would
> you recommend they do it?
>
> Rob S

I'm probably a bit hardcore, since I use a Leafnode server hosted locally, and
a mix of different usenet services to get those sweet text only articles /
groups that aren't availble on different servers.

But, behind leafnode I've got an account with news.individual.net (prefered
server) and would recommend them. It's 10€/year which isn't in everybody's
budget. Other people have recommended aioe.org and eternal-september.org.

For a client, if I'm logged into one of my *nix machines then alpine or on
MacOS thunderbird (but I'm currently testing another one right now so don't
snoop my headers :D).

With a potential user, I would say dip your toes in with aioe.org,
eternal-september.org, or if your ISP still has a usenet server try that, and
if you become a more heavy user then start looking at a paid service that
isn't one of those binary services.

-Kévin

--
At every party there are two kinds of people – those who want to go home and those who don’t. The trouble is, they are usually married to each other.

- Ann Landers

Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

<20220123193214.72cded75@haraya.local.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=79&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#79

From: rtr@nospam.invalid (rtr)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 19:32:14 +0800
 by: rtr - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 11:32 UTC

On Fri, 7 Jan 2022 21:23:00 -0600
Rob S <jsreed5@protonmail.com> wrote:

> Do you use a paid Usenet account, a free account on a site like
> Eternal September, or an open service such as Aioe? What newsgroup
> reader do you use?
>
> If new or prospective Gemini users wanted to join the group, how
> would you recommend they do it?
>
> Rob S

I am just using Eternal September. I do have a paid Usenet account
though. But those are for Linux ISOs.

--
Give them an inch and they will take a mile.

Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

<slrnsus0j9.2qi.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=88&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#88

From: dan@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 01:34:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 01:34 UTC

--
|_|O|_| Github: https://github.com/dpurgert
|_|_|O| PGP: DDAB 23FB 19FA 7D85 1CC1 E067 6D65 70E5 4CE7 2860

Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

<slrnsutcg8.2kef.rtr@haraya.local.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=90&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#90

From: rtr@nospam.invalid (rtr)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 14:04:56 -0000 (UTC)
 by: rtr - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 14:04 UTC

On 2022-01-08, Geeknix <usenet@apple.geeknix135.net> wrote:
> On 2022-01-08, Rob S <jsreed5@protonmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you use a paid Usenet account, a free account on a site like Eternal
>> September, or an open service such as Aioe? What newsgroup reader do you
>> use?
>>
>> If new or prospective Gemini users wanted to join the group, how would
>> you recommend they do it?
>
> Don't mind sharing how I do it, not sure I can recommend how Gemini
> users could do it.
>
> I have a paid account for NZB that I also use for posting. I use SLRN on
> a RaspberryPi that I access from laptops via SSH.

Thanks for the SLRN mention. I was using claws-mail beforehand and when
I switched to SLRN I just felt more at home.

Cheers!

--
Give them an inch and they will take a mile.
---

Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

<20220127012305.sy2ita4gkchobzuu@foobucket.xyz>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=96&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#96

From: fab@foobucket.xyz (-fab-)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 02:23:05 +0100
 by: -fab- - Thu, 27 Jan 2022 01:23 UTC
Attachments: signature.asc (application/pgp-signature)

This is my first post to this newsgroup, so:

Hello, fellow geminauts!

* Rob S <jsreed5@protonmail.com> [2022-01-08 04:23 CET]:
> Do you use a paid Usenet account, a free account on a site like Eternal
> September, or an open service such as Aioe? What newsgroup reader do you
> use?

The Usenet thing is completely new to me. I've never used it before. I was
on news.aioe.org, but I was banned for 24 hours, because my connection
time exceeded 86400 seconds?! I'm not sure what happened, but I surely
wasn't on that server for 24 hours. Maybe it was my neomutt setup. Don't
know.

So now I'm on eternal-september.org with neomutt as my nntp client,
because I also use it as my email client.

It was a bit difficult to set up, but after getting the bits and pieces
together, it works. I thought a mailing list would be better, but after
using usenet for a day, I really like newsgroups more. No need to sort
the mail into folders and things like that. Simply subscribe to a
newsgroup and you are ready.

> If new or prospective Gemini users wanted to join the group, how would you
> recommend they do it?

Due to my lack of experience with Usenet, I really can't give a final
recommendation. But I would say Thunderbird is a good solution for new
users, because it's already widely used as an email client.

As a server I would recommend AIOE or eternal-september.org. You COULD
buy access to commercial newsservers, but as a new user who just wants
to read comp.infosystems.gemini to begin with, this isn't neccessary I
think.

> Rob S

Best wishes,
-fab-

--
Email: -fab- <fab@foobucket.xyz>
WWW: https://foobucket.xyz

Attachments: signature.asc (application/pgp-signature)
Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

<4eqtci-bhv.ln1@iapetus.dgold.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=125&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#125

From: dgold@dgold.invalid (Daniel Goldsmith)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 20:27:16 +0000
 by: Daniel Goldsmith - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 20:27 UTC

On 2022-01-24, rtr <rtr@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> On 2022-01-08, Geeknix <usenet@apple.geeknix135.net> wrote:
>>
>> I have a paid account for NZB that I also use for posting. I use SLRN on
>> a RaspberryPi that I access from laptops via SSH.
>
> Thanks for the SLRN mention. I was using claws-mail beforehand and when
> I switched to SLRN I just felt more at home.

slrn is still my internal gold-standard for everything.

every time I'm using any tui/console program I compare it to slrn. I've
been using it since 1995, when I was the one who managed to install and
get it running on the uni's vax, despite not even being a compsci
student.

in answer to the query posited, I too am accessing the group by using
leafnode on a server, and then reading the news with slrn.

--
dgold

Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

<slrnt31lkh.mhj.f6k@xila.huld.re>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=205&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#205

From: f6k@huld.re (f6k)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2022 19:10:25 +0100
 by: f6k - Tue, 15 Mar 2022 18:10 UTC

hello everyone,

first message in here; i'm happy i found a part of the gemini
community on usenet!

On 2022-01-08, Rob S <jsreed5@protonmail.com> wrote:
> Do you use a paid Usenet account, a free account on a site like Eternal
> September, or an open service such as Aioe?

i'm using eternal-september since years now without any issues. i've
switched to it on the advice of a friend after my isp closed the access
to general usenet.

never heard of aioe.org before someone mentioned it in this thread. so
thanks for the link!

> What newsgroup reader do you use?

i've been a happy user of tin(1) and gnus from emacs(1) for years.
now, since i'm mostly offline, i'm using slrnpull(1) to retrieve a
local copy of the posts from the groups i'm following when i have
access to internet. that way, i can read the messages and answer them
with slrn(1) without connection. the answers are stored locally,
waiting for the next sync when i can get back online. very handy.

> If new or prospective Gemini users wanted to join the group, how would
> you recommend they do it?

it's been said before but i guess i'll start to see if their isp
provide access to usenet or not. then go for eternal-september or
aioe. for the clients, pan and thunderbird are good guis; in cli, tin,
alpine or slrn are a good start (maybe tin and alpine are a little
easier?).

-f6k

--
~{,_,"> shl.huld.re:70

Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

<slrnt4iikp.d3i.szczezuja@sdf.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=214&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#214

From: szczezuja@sdf.org
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 07:19:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: szczezuja@sdf.org - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 07:19 UTC

On 2022-01-08, mbays@sdf.org <mbays@sdf.org> wrote:
> On 2022-01-08, Rob S <jsreed5@protonmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you use a paid Usenet account, a free account on a site like Eternal
>> September, or an open service such as Aioe? What newsgroup reader do you
>> use?
>
> I'm using slrn via sdf. They used to have usenet access for all users,
> but sadly that went down about a year ago, and now only subscription
> "MetaARPA" users have access. So this isn't really a method to recommend
> to someone just wanting usenet access.

Hello,

I'm using also slrn and nntp.aioe.org. I hadn't been using Usenet for
almost 30 years, and I tried to get back via news.sdf.org. But it seems
to be like Mbays had written - it isn't operatable for standard users.
So I'm glad there is Aioe.

--
Szczezuja

Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

<t2chs4$jn7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=215&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#215

From: rek2@hispagatos.org.invalid (rek2 hispagatos)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 16:26:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: rek2 hispagatos - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 16:26 UTC

Hello, I am back using it daily for like almost 2 months now and I am
back in love with it.

I am using instead of aioe.org eternal-september.org also a good
option.

--
gemini://hispagatos.org
gemini://rek2.hispagatos.org

Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

<20220404082215.ecwlmubgw7a2jkar@rdi55.pl>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=216&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#216

From: bac@rdi55.pl (bacardi55)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 10:22:15 +0200
 by: bacardi55 - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 08:22 UTC

Hi
> Hello, I am back using it daily for like almost 2 months now and I am
> back in love with it.

I'm not using it daily, but I do check it every 2 or 3 days. As I'm
following only this gemini group for now it is very quiet :).

> I am using instead of aioe.org eternal-september.org also a good
> option.
On my end, I'm using neomutt connected to aioe.org.
I tried creating an account on eternal-september.org but never got the
confirmation email so I gave up and just used aioe.org 🤷

--
bacardi55