Slowly and surely the unix crept up on the Nintendo user ...

devel / comp.lang.cobol / Re: End-to-end FULLY AUTOMATED PowerCOBOL Migration to .Net. NO Code required. Mouse clicks only.

SubjectAuthor
* End-to-end FULLY AUTOMATED PowerCOBOL Migration to .Net. NO Codepete dashwood
`* Re: End-to-end FULLY AUTOMATED PowerCOBOL Migration to .Net. NO CodeJM
 `* Re: End-to-end FULLY AUTOMATED PowerCOBOL Migration to .Net. NO Codepete dashwood
  +* Re: End-to-end FULLY AUTOMATED PowerCOBOL Migration to .Net. NO CodeKerry Liles
  |`* Re: End-to-end FULLY AUTOMATED PowerCOBOL Migration to .Net. NO Codepete dashwood
  | `* Re: End-to-end FULLY AUTOMATED PowerCOBOL Migration to .Net. NO CodeKerry Liles
  |  `- Re: End-to-end FULLY AUTOMATED PowerCOBOL Migration to .Net. NO Codepete dashwood
  `* Re: End-to-end FULLY AUTOMATED PowerCOBOL Migration to .Net. NO CodeJM
   `* Re: End-to-end FULLY AUTOMATED PowerCOBOL Migration to .Net. NO Codepete dashwood
    `- Re: End-to-end FULLY AUTOMATED PowerCOBOL Migration to .Net. NO Codepete dashwood

1
End-to-end FULLY AUTOMATED PowerCOBOL Migration to .Net. NO Code required. Mouse clicks only.

<ir02jsF3brvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=200&group=comp.lang.cobol#200

From: dashwood@enternet.co.nz (pete dashwood)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.cobol
Subject: End-to-end FULLY AUTOMATED PowerCOBOL Migration to .Net. NO Code
required. Mouse clicks only.
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 19:00:10 +1200
 by: pete dashwood - Wed, 22 Sep 2021 07:00 UTC

This is now available from PRIMA.

RIGHT NOW:

Let's say you have a number of PowerCOBOL projects that are running a
number of applications and subsystems.

You've invested years in designing PowerCOBOL Sheets (screens) and
writing Scriptlets in COBOL to drive those Sheets.

You use indexed files for your random access.

Your concerns are:

1. Support for PowerCOBOL could be pulled at any minute.
2. The indexed files are not easily accessible with today's standard
tools and you need to write a PowerCOBOL Scriptlet every time someone
wants to know something...
3. There is NO provided migration path to get you off of PowerCOBOL.
4. You are considering moving to Python or Java, but the cost would be
horrendous, and you simply CAN'T drop some of the business processes
that are encapsulated in the PowerCOBOL projects.

<sound of a distant bugle floats on the breeze... its the PRIMA cavalry...>

WITHIN DAYS:

1. You can have a properly designed Relational Database, that is
optimized, and in 3rd Normal Form, created and built in MS SQL Server.
(Other RDBMS can be accommodated but it will cost more...)

2. The database described in 1. can be loaded with the existing data on
the indexed files, using load programs generated by our tools, in seconds.

3. The Tools can generate a Data Access Layer (in COBOL using Embedded
SQL or in C# using LINQ) that can maintain every possible action against
every tableset on your database. There will be a single DAL object for
every tableset and it is compiled code, so it is much faster than
interpreted script when it comes to access.

4. For each of your PowerCOBOL Projects:

1. ALL of the sheets in the project have been converted into standard
Windows Forms, with no change to the events and processes so that the
functionality under .Net is exactly as it was under PowerCOBOL. In some
cases, better, more powerful .Net controls on the sheets have replaced
the old PowerCOBOL controls. (No extra charge... a free upgrade, and
your option).

2. ALL of the Scriptlets that drove the old sheets, and encapsulated
many of your Business Rules have become Methods in a single Class that
drives the new WinForm. There is an OO COBOL Class for EACH Win Form. It
is referred to as a "code-behind".

Code-behinds don't HAVE to be in COBOL. We are looking at Python and C#
or even mixed languages. The Converted Forms have COBOL code-behinds but
it can be converted or mixed with other languages if required. New Forms
are developed as WinForms in exactly the same way as Windows development
proceeds around the world, using Visual Studio design surface to drag
and drop Windows Controls.

3. We Transform ALL of the COBOL indexed IO in the code-behinds, into
method invokes of DAL objects. Your system moves easily to .Net
WinForms using a Data Access Layer against a modern, optimized RDB.

You are free from dependence on PowerCOBOL and have brought your system
into the 21st century. You can continue writing your code-behinds in
COBOL or you can use a newer language; there are many options.

There is no proprietary run time that your converted system can't run
without; ALL of the source code is available to you, and you have full
rights over it. (It is YOUR code, exactly as if you had written it...)
You can generate changes using the Tools or you can code changes by
hand, you are NOT LOCKED IN!

AND YOU WROTE NO CODE!!

You can outsource your migration to us, you can undertake it yourself
using our tools (leased or owned) with or without help from us, or you
can do it all manually. We'll even give you advice, at no charge, that
will save you a great deal of money and tears...

Having tried it manually on a number of occasions, I can assure you that
using the PRIMA tools is better... :-)

Please drop me a line if you find any of the above to be of interest, or
forward this mail if you know anybody who might.

This is the culmination of many years of effort; I hope someone can use it.

Here's a quick video showing the move to WinForms. I haven't done one
yet for the full e-2-e described above.

https://primacomputing.co.nz/videos/xpcompareHB.mp4

Cheers,

Pete.

--
I used to write *COBOL*; now I can do *anything*...

Re: End-to-end FULLY AUTOMATED PowerCOBOL Migration to .Net. NO Code required. Mouse clicks only.

<10db4e5d-695e-4f01-a198-06eb62925168n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=206&group=comp.lang.cobol#206

Newsgroups: comp.lang.cobol
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 05:04:11 -0700 (PDT)
required. Mouse clicks only.
From: jmfg11@gmail.com (JM)
 by: JM - Tue, 28 Sep 2021 12:04 UTC

A quarta-feira, 22 de setembro de 2021 à(s) 08:00:15 UTC+1, dash...@enternet.co.nz escreveu:
> [...]
> using our tools (leased or owned) with or without help from us, or you
> can do it all manually. We'll even give you advice, at no charge, that
> will save you a great deal of money and tears...
>
> Having tried it manually on a number of occasions, I can assure you that
> using the PRIMA tools is better... :-)
>
> Please drop me a line if you find any of the above to be of interest, or
> forward this mail if you know anybody who might.
>
> This is the culmination of many years of effort; I hope someone can use it.
>
> Here's a quick video showing the move to WinForms. I haven't done one
> yet for the full e-2-e described above.
>
> https://primacomputing.co.nz/videos/xpcompareHB.mp4
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete.
>
> --
> I used to write *COBOL*; now I can do *anything*...
What is the price or terms?
Thanks

Re: End-to-end FULLY AUTOMATED PowerCOBOL Migration to .Net. NO Code required. Mouse clicks only.

<is24nmFjuruU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=211&group=comp.lang.cobol#211

From: dashwood@enternet.co.nz (pete dashwood)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.cobol
required. Mouse clicks only.
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 18:04:52 +1300
 by: pete dashwood - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 05:04 UTC

On 29/09/2021 01:04, JM wrote:
> [...]
>> using our tools (leased or owned) with or without help from us, or you
>> can do it all manually. We'll even give you advice, at no charge, that
>> will save you a great deal of money and tears...
>>
>> Having tried it manually on a number of occasions, I can assure you that
>> using the PRIMA tools is better... :-)
>>
>> Please drop me a line if you find any of the above to be of interest, or
>> forward this mail if you know anybody who might.
>>
>> This is the culmination of many years of effort; I hope someone can use it.
>>
>> Here's a quick video showing the move to WinForms. I haven't done one
>> yet for the full e-2-e described above.
>>
>> https://primacomputing.co.nz/videos/xpcompareHB.mp4
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Pete.
>>
>> --
>> I used to write *COBOL*; now I can do *anything*...

It depends on how many PowerCOBOL projects you have, how many sheets are
in each one, how many indexed files are used (if you want to go to
Relational Database as well as Windows Forms), and how many third party
(non-standard PowerCOBOL) controls are on your sheets.

Things like the degree of COBOL expertise available (OO COBOL knowledge
is useful, but not essential... We can help people transition from
PowerCOBOL skills to the new Windows skills...) and how well organized
the existing system is, can also affect the cost.

Just as a ballpark, if you have, say, 5 PowerCOBOL projects with an
average of 4 sheets in each, and they are using 4 indexed files, with no
third-party controls, it will cost you around $600 to move everything
into Windows .NET and start using an optimized RDB in third Normal Form,
via a true Data Access Layer.

The deliverables include ALL source code, ALL object code, and full
documentation. There are no proprietary modules needed to run your new
system, no licensing of any generated code, and no middleware
dependence. Your new system is exactly as if you had written it
yourself, in COBOL.

(Please don't try and extrapolate from these figures; it gets cheaper as
it increases... All I'm trying to do here is show that migration is
possible for less than the cost of your COBOL compiler and support...)

You will need the Native Code generating Fujitsu NetCOBOL for Windows
compiler (which you already have if you are using PowerCOBOL (any
version 7+)). If you want to use a Managed Code generating compiler
(Fujitsu or Micro Focus are the main 2) you will need to talk to us.
Once you have migrated, you can use the FREE Managed Code generating MS
compilers for C#, VB.Net, or Python, "as well as/instead of" COBOL, for
future development and maintenance.

There are many additional add-ons you can get and the price of these
varies, depending on how much business you do with us. For example, we
can offer a DAL layer written in C# and using LINQ instead of embedded
SQL with COBOL. It has tested around 6 times faster than ESQL for some
operations, and around 1.7 times faster on average.... Although you can
see the source code of the DAL objects, you don't normally maintain
them, so the language they are written in is irrelevant.

This gets you off dependency on PowerCOBOL FOREVER!

But it does so without losing ANY of your existing functionality or
Business Rules.

If you are seriously interested, mail me privately and we can have a
Zoom session about it and I can get a better idea of what you need and
what it will cost. Maybe a Proof of Concept will help to give you a
better understanding of the whole migration process using our tools.

Cheers,

Pete.

PS I don't like marketing our products through this forum because that
is not what it is for, so would appreciate it if we can take this offline.

--
I used to write *COBOL*; now I can do *anything*...

Re: End-to-end FULLY AUTOMATED PowerCOBOL Migration to .Net. NO Code required. Mouse clicks only.

<sjhtbf$bm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=212&group=comp.lang.cobol#212

From: kerry.liles@gmail.com (Kerry Liles)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.cobol
required. Mouse clicks only.
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 12:09:19 -0400
 by: Kerry Liles - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 16:09 UTC

On 10/5/2021 1:04 AM, pete dashwood wrote:
> [...]
> operations, and around 1.7 times faster on average.... Although you can
> see the source code of the DAL objects, you don't normally maintain
> them, so the language they are written in is irrelevant.
>
> This gets you off dependency on PowerCOBOL FOREVER!
>
> But it does so without losing ANY of your existing functionality or
> Business Rules.
>
> If you are seriously interested, mail me privately and we can have a
> Zoom session about it and I can get a better idea of what you need and
> what it will cost. Maybe a Proof of Concept will help to give you a
> better understanding of the whole migration process using our tools.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete.
>
> PS I don't like marketing our products through this forum because that
> is not what it is for, so would appreciate it if we can take this offline.

Pete, did you mean $600 or $600K ... just curious!

Re: End-to-end FULLY AUTOMATED PowerCOBOL Migration to .Net. NO Code required. Mouse clicks only.

<is442iF1a1cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=213&group=comp.lang.cobol#213

From: dashwood@enternet.co.nz (pete dashwood)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.cobol
required. Mouse clicks only.
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 12:05:55 +1300
 by: pete dashwood - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 23:05 UTC

On 6/10/2021 05:09, Kerry Liles wrote:
> [...]
>> can see the source code of the DAL objects, you don't normally
>> maintain them, so the language they are written in is irrelevant.
>>
>> This gets you off dependency on PowerCOBOL FOREVER!
>>
>> But it does so without losing ANY of your existing functionality or
>> Business Rules.
>>
>> If you are seriously interested, mail me privately and we can have a
>> Zoom session about it and I can get a better idea of what you need and
>> what it will cost. Maybe a Proof of Concept will help to give you a
>> better understanding of the whole migration process using our tools.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Pete.
>>
>> PS I don't like marketing our products through this forum because that
>> is not what it is for, so would appreciate it if we can take this
>> offline.
>>

> Pete, did you mean $600 or $600K ... just curious!
Hi Kerry,

Click here to read the complete article
Re: End-to-end FULLY AUTOMATED PowerCOBOL Migration to .Net. NO Code required. Mouse clicks only.

<sjkicq$7ae$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=216&group=comp.lang.cobol#216

From: kerry.liles@gmail.com (Kerry Liles)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.cobol
required. Mouse clicks only.
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2021 12:20:42 -0400
 by: Kerry Liles - Wed, 6 Oct 2021 16:20 UTC

On 10/5/2021 7:05 PM, pete dashwood wrote:

....original thread snipped

> [...]
>
> The most expensive migration we have done so far cost $12K and that was
> for a PR1ME system, where we replaced their existing middleware with a
> DAL, and they bought the tools to Transform 850 legacy PR1ME COBOL
> programs so they could use the new RDB and DAL. There were 3 people
> involved and they were all COBOL savvy. They were blown away by the
> tools and the whole migration was done in less than 5 weeks.
>
> People have told me that we should inflate our prices because it gives
> us more credibility.
>
> I prefer to get credibility through doing a small part of the migration
> as a Proof Of Concept. Then it is a matter of record whether our claims
> are true or not.
>
> There is also a part of me that doesn't like to see people being
> "punished" because they chose to use COBOL for development. People here
> will know I have a soft spot for COBOL after writing it since 1967...
>
> There are better solutions today but there should also be migration
> paths provided by the vendors and I believe it is shameful that there
> are not. The PRIMA toolset has been developed to fill that gap.
>
> Normal COBOL is a pretty easy migration (we need COBOL '85 from ANY
> vendor) and it really involves moving off indexed files into Relational
> Database. The tools design and create the RDB, generate programs to load
> it with the existing indexed (ISAM (PC or mainframe)/mainframe VSAM
> KSDS) data, generate the DAL objects, and then transform the existing
> programs so that all of the previous indexed access is replaced by
> invokes of the DAL. It is a good step forward towards using standard
> tools with the database, instead of having to write COBOL every time
> someone needs to know something.
>
> But PowerCOBOL involves a GUI interface. It was written by long-gone
> contractors for Fujitsu, back in the last century and they did a very
> good job. The actual PowerCOBOL development system is really good and
> thousands of people around the world used it to create very nice
> interactive GUI systems, driven by COBOL. Sadly, there has been no
> product from GTS (the current Fujitsu agents in the Western world) that
> will bring all the investment in screens and code into the modern
> environment.
>
> I realized this when I saw that my own PowerCOBOL developments had
> nowhere to go and could only be replaced by writing new WinForm screens
> from scratch and then trying to salvage the scriptlets in COBOL that
> drive them.
>
> The compound file structure used by Fujitsu PowerCOBOL projects makes it
> VERY difficult to extract or update information in a PowerCOBOL system
> directly. I saw this as a challenge and it took me over 6 months to
> crack it... :-) The PRIMA tools manipulate PowerCOBOL project files
> without problem.
>
> So, there IS hope for people using PowerCOBOL, it CAN be salvaged and
> modernized, and it doesn't cost a punitive arm and a leg.

Thanks for the extensive clarification Pete ...
I now understand why $600 was *NOT* a typo :)

NZ dollars? lol

Re: End-to-end FULLY AUTOMATED PowerCOBOL Migration to .Net. NO Code required. Mouse clicks only.

<isaduoF7no3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=217&group=comp.lang.cobol#217

From: dashwood@enternet.co.nz (pete dashwood)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.cobol
required. Mouse clicks only.
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 21:31:19 +1300
 by: pete dashwood - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 08:31 UTC

No, US... :-)

Pete.

--
I used to write *COBOL*; now I can do *anything*...

Re: End-to-end FULLY AUTOMATED PowerCOBOL Migration to .Net. NO Code required. Mouse clicks only.

<18aa01c2-35fa-48d2-8255-15c7bfdcbf01n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=218&group=comp.lang.cobol#218

Newsgroups: comp.lang.cobol
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 10:02:08 -0700 (PDT)
required. Mouse clicks only.
From: jmfg11@gmail.com (JM)
 by: JM - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 17:02 UTC

A terça-feira, 5 de outubro de 2021 à(s) 06:04:58 UTC+1, dash...@enternet.co.nz escreveu:
> [...]
>
> But it does so without losing ANY of your existing functionality or
> Business Rules.
>
> If you are seriously interested, mail me privately and we can have a
> Zoom session about it and I can get a better idea of what you need and
> what it will cost. Maybe a Proof of Concept will help to give you a
> better understanding of the whole migration process using our tools.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete.
>
> PS I don't like marketing our products through this forum because that
> is not what it is for, so would appreciate it if we can take this offline..
> --
> I used to write *COBOL*; now I can do *anything*...

Click here to read the complete article
Re: End-to-end FULLY AUTOMATED PowerCOBOL Migration to .Net. NO Code required. Mouse clicks only.

<isjsmaF25fpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=219&group=comp.lang.cobol#219

From: dashwood@enternet.co.nz (pete dashwood)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.cobol
required. Mouse clicks only.
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 11:38:01 +1300
 by: pete dashwood - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 22:38 UTC

<j6dvetFnelvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=287&group=comp.lang.cobol#287

From: dashwood@enternet.co.nz (pete dashwood)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.cobol
required. Mouse clicks only.
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 14:31:19 +1300
 by: pete dashwood - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 01:31 UTC

On 12/10/2021 11:38, pete dashwood wrote:
> [...]
>> in another language (which is what we are starting to do - in this
>> case in Webdev/Windev).
>> Thanks for the answer.
>>

> You asked for an idea of pricing but you never got a quote.
> "(Please don't try and extrapolate from these figures; it gets cheaper
> as it increases..."
>
> If you had said you have hundreds of Projects and files I would have
> given you a fixed price for the tools and shown you how to use them.
>
> The ballpark I gave you was if you outsourced the work to us and did not
> buy the tools.
>
> I don't know what hourly rate you pay your people but we can convert
> PowerCOBOL sheets in SECONDS...
>
> Unfeasible? https://primacomputing.co.nz/PRIMAMetro/Testimonials.aspx
>
> Never mind.
>
> I wish you every success in your endeavour.

It was this exchange which prompted me to write the Migration Cost
Calculator.

Click here to read the complete article