Newsgroups: comp.lang.cobol
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2021 10:02:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: End-to-end FULLY AUTOMATED PowerCOBOL Migration to .Net. NO Code
required. Mouse clicks only.
From: jmfg11@gmail.com (JM)
 by: JM - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 17:02 UTC

A terça-feira, 5 de outubro de 2021 à(s) 06:04:58 UTC+1, dash...@enternet.co.nz escreveu:
> On 29/09/2021 01:04, JM wrote:
> > A quarta-feira, 22 de setembro de 2021 à(s) 08:00:15 UTC+1, dash....@enternet.co.nz escreveu:
> >> This is now available from PRIMA.
> >>
> >> RIGHT NOW:
> >>
> >> Let's say you have a number of PowerCOBOL projects that are running a
> >> number of applications and subsystems.
> >>
> >> You've invested years in designing PowerCOBOL Sheets (screens) and
> >> writing Scriptlets in COBOL to drive those Sheets.
> >>
> >> You use indexed files for your random access.
> >>
> >> Your concerns are:
> >>
> >> 1. Support for PowerCOBOL could be pulled at any minute.
> >> 2. The indexed files are not easily accessible with today's standard
> >> tools and you need to write a PowerCOBOL Scriptlet every time someone
> >> wants to know something...
> >> 3. There is NO provided migration path to get you off of PowerCOBOL.
> >> 4. You are considering moving to Python or Java, but the cost would be
> >> horrendous, and you simply CAN'T drop some of the business processes
> >> that are encapsulated in the PowerCOBOL projects.
> >>
> >> <sound of a distant bugle floats on the breeze... its the PRIMA cavalry...>
> >>
> >> WITHIN DAYS:
> >>
> >> 1. You can have a properly designed Relational Database, that is
> >> optimized, and in 3rd Normal Form, created and built in MS SQL Server.
> >> (Other RDBMS can be accommodated but it will cost more...)
> >>
> >> 2. The database described in 1. can be loaded with the existing data on
> >> the indexed files, using load programs generated by our tools, in seconds.
> >>
> >> 3. The Tools can generate a Data Access Layer (in COBOL using Embedded
> >> SQL or in C# using LINQ) that can maintain every possible action against
> >> every tableset on your database. There will be a single DAL object for
> >> every tableset and it is compiled code, so it is much faster than
> >> interpreted script when it comes to access.
> >>
> >> 4. For each of your PowerCOBOL Projects:
> >>
> >> 1. ALL of the sheets in the project have been converted into standard
> >> Windows Forms, with no change to the events and processes so that the
> >> functionality under .Net is exactly as it was under PowerCOBOL. In some
> >> cases, better, more powerful .Net controls on the sheets have replaced
> >> the old PowerCOBOL controls. (No extra charge... a free upgrade, and
> >> your option).
> >>
> >> 2. ALL of the Scriptlets that drove the old sheets, and encapsulated
> >> many of your Business Rules have become Methods in a single Class that
> >> drives the new WinForm. There is an OO COBOL Class for EACH Win Form. It
> >> is referred to as a "code-behind".
> >>
> >> Code-behinds don't HAVE to be in COBOL. We are looking at Python and C#
> >> or even mixed languages. The Converted Forms have COBOL code-behinds but
> >> it can be converted or mixed with other languages if required. New Forms
> >> are developed as WinForms in exactly the same way as Windows development
> >> proceeds around the world, using Visual Studio design surface to drag
> >> and drop Windows Controls.

> [...]

It seems very expensive to me! Our ERP developed in Powercobol has dozens of windows (some with very little code, others more complex) and maybe hundreds of files.
It is completely unfeasible, it is much cheaper to develop everything in another language (which is what we are starting to do - in this case in Webdev/Windev).
Thanks for the answer.

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o End-to-end FULLY AUTOMATED PowerCOBOL Migration to .Net. NO Code

By: pete dashwood on Wed, 22 Sep 2021

9pete dashwood