We are all so much together and yet we are all dying of loneliness. -- A. Schweitzer

dovenet / Firearms / Re: Carry Pistols

SubjectAuthor
* Carry PistolsLimawhiskey
+- Carry PistolsDaiTengu
+- Carry PistolsMickey
+* Carry PistolsArelor
|+* Carry PistolsLimawhiskey
||`* Carry PistolsArelor
|| +* Carry PistolsLimawhiksey
|| |`* Carry PistolsArelor
|| | `* Carry PistolsMoondog
|| |  `- Re: Carry PistolsJimmy Anderson
|| `- Re: Carry PistolsJimmy Anderson
|+- Carry PistolsMoondog
|`* Re: Carry PistolsJimmy Anderson
| +* Re: Carry PistolsArelor
| |`* Re: Carry PistolsJimmy Anderson
| | `- Re: Carry PistolsArelor
| `* Re: Carry PistolsArelor
|  `* Re: Carry PistolsJimmy Anderson
|   +- Re: Carry PistolsMoondog
|   `* Re: Carry PistolsWeatherman
|    `* Re: Carry PistolsMoondog
|     `- Re: Carry PistolsJimmy Anderson
+- Re: Carry PistolsWeatherman
+- Carry PistolsRagnar0k
+* Carry PistolsNuke
|`* Carry PistolsTed Long
| `* Carry PistolsDaiTengu
|  `* Carry PistolsCougar428
|   +* Carry PistolsDaiTengu
|   |`- Carry PistolsCougar428
|   `* Carry PistolsMoondog
|    `* Carry PistolsCougar428
|     `* Carry PistolsMoondog
|      `* Carry PistolsCougar428
|       `* Carry PistolsMoondog
|        `* Carry PistolsCougar428
|         +* Carry PistolsMoondog
|         |`* Carry PistolsCougar428
|         | `- Carry PistolsMoondog
|         `* Carry PistolsDumas Walker
|          `* Carry PistolsMoondog
|           `* Carry PistolsDumas Walker
|            +* Carry Pistolspoindexter FORTRAN
|            |+* Carry PistolsMoondog
|            ||`* Re: Carry Pistolspoindexter FORTRAN
|            || `- Re: Carry PistolsMoondog
|            |+* Carry PistolsDumas Walker
|            ||+* Re: Carry Pistolspoindexter FORTRAN
|            |||`- Re: Carry PistolsCougar428
|            ||`- Carry PistolsMoondog
|            |`- Carry PistolsCougar428
|            `- Carry PistolsMoondog
`- Re: Carry PistolsJimmy Anderson

Pages:123
Carry Pistols

<638FB7AB.839.dove-firearms@1stchoicecore.co.nz>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=898&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#898

From: limawhiskey@VERT/CHOICE (Limawhiskey)
To: Arelor
Subject: Carry Pistols
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 03:44:11 +1300
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Limawhiskey - Tue, 6 Dec 2022 14:44 UTC

Re: Carry Pistols
By: Arelor to Limawhiskey on Tue Dec 06 2022 01:21 pm

In regards to single action semi autos, (such as my 1911) I carry one in the chamber, hammer back and on safe. Now, it is not an old 1911 so it also features a firing pin block as well. Some people are not comfortable with that, however, the gun will not go off unless I do the following

1. Release the manual saftey
2. Activate the grip saftey
3. Pull the trigger

Personaly in my experience and time as a cavalry scout in the US Army, it takes way to long to rack a slide when you need to draw and use/point that pistol quickly. Opinons and mileage for the same may vary...

---
■ Synchronet ■ 1st choice Core - 1stchoicecore.co.nz

Carry Pistols

<6390EEBD.830.dove-firearms@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=899&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#899

From: arelor@VERT/PALANT (Arelor)
To: Limawhiskey
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 06:51:25 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Arelor - Wed, 7 Dec 2022 12:51 UTC

Re: Carry Pistols
By: Limawhiskey to Arelor on Wed Dec 07 2022 10:44 am

> In regards to single action semi autos, (such as my 1911) I carry on
> will not go off unless I do the following
>
> 1. Release the manual saftey
> 2. Activate the grip saftey
> 3. Pull the trigger

That sounds safer than my .38. It has no safety. It has one of those firing-pin
blockers designed to prevent it from going off if something hits the hammer
accidentally, and that is it. Maybe the manufacturer thought making the trigger
hard as heck counted as a safety measure.

But hey, the guy that sold it to me warned me that it was only good for putting
cattle reustlers on their knees and executing them point blank, because it is
too junky for anything else. I guess I can't complain XD

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: Carry Pistols

<6390FB88.619.dove-firearms@tlcbbs.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=900&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#900

From: weatherman@VERT/TLCBBS (Weatherman)
To: Limawhiskey
Subject: Re: Carry Pistols
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 06:46:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Weatherman - Wed, 7 Dec 2022 13:46 UTC

> Those of you that carry, what do you carry or prefer? I find my G19
> Gen5 is comfortable, however, somtimes I will carry a 1911 platform with 8rd
> mags and one round chambered. Only issue I have is finding a good holster
> for the G19. I still debate putting a light on it though.

> What is your carry of choice fellow DOVE Net users?

> ---
> ■ Synchronet ■ Frugal Computing BBS - frugalbbs.com

Kinda depends. I prefer a full-sized platform, my SW model 645 is my
preferred. Same basic size as the 1911, but with DA/SA action, ambidextrous
safety and a decocker when safety is engaged.

Problem is, I'm a fairly big guy and while the 645 works well for me when I'm
getting in and out of my Tahoe, if I'm driving my Grand Prix or Fusion, ingress
and egress is a bit tighter, so I need to go with a smaller platform. On those
days, I go with the Taurus PT-145, .45 ACP like the 645, but with a 10 round
mag, so I carry only one spare rather than the two with the SW.

And if I need more concealment than the PT-145 Pro offers, there's always the
J-frame .38 or even a compact .380 LCP.

Backup is LCP in a pocket holster....

Regards,
-==*>Weatherman<*==-

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Lost Chord BBS - Cheyenne, WY

Carry Pistols

<63914168.225.dove-firearms@tiabbs.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=903&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#903

From: limawhiksey@VERT/TIABBS (Limawhiksey)
To: Arelor
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 13:44:08 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Limawhiksey - Wed, 7 Dec 2022 18:44 UTC

Re: Carry Pistols
By: Arelor to Limawhiskey on Wed Dec 07 2022 01:51 pm

Arelor,

Those double action revolver triggers, (particularly on snubs) can be stiff as the devil himself. I will say, something that goes bang is better than nothing. There are a lot of different loads in .38 and many can be handloaded with a kit that is less than $90. (It may be cheaper, my memory is lacking.)

Take a look at some defensive loads in .38. It is a very adaptable caliber for what it is. I shoot it some in my Single Action Army revolver in .38 / .357. Hopefully, you never need it and it just weighs down the belt and sits on the bedstand.

- Your American Friend, Limawhiskey

---
■ Synchronet

Carry Pistols

<63963033.835.dove-firearms@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=904&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#904

From: arelor@VERT/PALANT (Arelor)
To: Limawhiksey
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 06:32:03 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Arelor - Sun, 11 Dec 2022 12:32 UTC

Re: Carry Pistols
By: Limawhiksey to Arelor on Wed Dec 07 2022 08:44 pm

> Re: Carry Pistols
> By: Arelor to Limawhiskey on Wed Dec 07 2022 01:51 pm
>
> Arelor,
>
> Those double action revolver triggers, (particularly on snubs) can b
> less than $90. (It may be cheaper, my memory is lacking.)
>
> Take a look at some defensive loads in .38. It is a very adaptable c
>
> - Your American Friend, Limawhiskey
>
> ---
> ■ Synchronet

About half of the ammo I have around are paper cutters for target shooting
because that is what stores around have. They are nice for the range because
they don't kick that much, but I'd rather have something else if the Nazi
Communists Martians come down one day and try to invade my house. I also have
some regular ammo - aka. security guard ammo - and that is it.

Handloading here is kind of restricted. You need to take a certification from
the local Target Shooting gov-sanctioned club, but I dislike those guys enough
that I' d rather tear a tooth off rather than pay them a penny if I don't have
to. I am sure I could get a reloading kit anyway but I spend so little ammo I
can't be bothered.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Carry Pistols

<6397748E.2669.dove-gun@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=905&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#905

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: Arelor
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 06:35:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Moondog - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 11:35 UTC

Re: Carry Pistols
By: Arelor to Limawhiskey on Tue Dec 06 2022 01:21 pm

> Re: Carry Pistols
> By: Limawhiskey to All on Mon Dec 05 2022 05:35 pm
>
> > Those of you that carry, what do you carry or prefer? I find my G1
> > is comfortable, however, somtimes I will carry a 1911 platform with 8rd m
> > and one round chambered. Only issue I have is finding a good holster for
> > G19. I still debate putting a light on it though.
> >
> > What is your carry of choice fellow DOVE Net users?
> >
> > ---
> > ■ Synchronet ■ Frugal Computing BBS - frugalbbs.com
>
> If it was legal here or I were willing to break the law and admit it on a
> public forum, I would go with a Llama .38 revolver. I am tired of semi-autos
> because I see so many get stuck in the shooting range.
>
> This brings the question: how is people carrying single action semis these
> days? Do they holster it with a chambered round and the safety on?
>
> BTW I think a bowie knife is also a great carry if you are big enough to pac
> it. A regular person spends more time cutting and chopping things than shoot
> at stuff anyway. If it was legal here or I were willing to break the law and
> admit it on a public forum, I'd carry a Ka-Bar Heavy Bowie in a custom sheat
> (because the one it comes with is lame).
>
> --
> gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

Most modern firearms can be carried cocked and loaded. With pistols like the
Glock and M&P, they have the two piece trigger that acts like a safety until
it is properly pulled. When seconds count, cycling a slide will take too long
..

Regardless of double action or single action, a hammer can be pulled back as
the pistol is removed from the holster. Same applies with the safety.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

Carry Pistols

<63977892.2670.dove-gun@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=906&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#906

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: Arelor
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 06:53:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Moondog - Mon, 12 Dec 2022 11:53 UTC

Re: Carry Pistols
By: Arelor to Limawhiksey on Sun Dec 11 2022 01:32 pm

> Re: Carry Pistols
> By: Limawhiksey to Arelor on Wed Dec 07 2022 08:44 pm
>
> > Re: Carry Pistols
> > By: Arelor to Limawhiskey on Wed Dec 07 2022 01:51 pm
> >
> > Arelor,
> >
> > Those double action revolver triggers, (particularly on snubs) ca
> > less than $90. (It may be cheaper, my memory is lacking.)
> >
> > Take a look at some defensive loads in .38. It is a very adaptabl
> >
> > - Your American Friend, Limawhiskey
> >
> > ---
> > ■ Synchronet
>
> About half of the ammo I have around are paper cutters for target shooting
> because that is what stores around have. They are nice for the range because
> they don't kick that much, but I'd rather have something else if the Nazi
> Communists Martians come down one day and try to invade my house. I also hav
> some regular ammo - aka. security guard ammo - and that is it.
>
> Handloading here is kind of restricted. You need to take a certification fro
> the local Target Shooting gov-sanctioned club, but I dislike those guys enou
> that I' d rather tear a tooth off rather than pay them a penny if I don't ha
> to. I am sure I could get a reloading kit anyway but I spend so little ammo
> can't be bothered.
>

> --
> gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

Handloading is hobby that feeds another hobby, and doesn't save much money.
You spend the same money, but you soot more with it. I run a couple single
stage presses, but if I got into shooting competitively, I would have to inves
t in a progressive press to keep up with empty brass to loaded ammo ratio. I
am what you call a rainy day reloader. If it is too cold or wet outside,
I'll be down in my basement sizing and trimming brass or loading cases.

I only recommend reloading for those who are willing to make the time, since
it is a hobby in itself.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

Carry Pistols

<639FA3A9.21.dove-firearms@ten.eaglesnest89.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=907&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#907

From: ragnar0k@VERT/THEEAGLE (Ragnar0k)
To: Limawhiskey
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 11:35:05 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Ragnar0k - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 16:35 UTC

Re: Carry Pistols
By: Limawhiskey to All on Mon Dec 05 2022 17:35:12

> Those of you that carry, what do you carry or prefer? I find my

I carry a Berreta PX4 Storm .40 in a shoulder holster when it's cold and on my kidney when it's warm. I also carry a Springfield XDS 9mm on my ankle.

I like to be prepared.

---
■ Synchronet ■ ■ Synchronet BBS ■ The Eagle's Nest 89 ■ ten.eaglesnest89.net

Carry Pistols

<63AEF762.148.dove-firearms@westwoodbbs.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=920&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#920

From: nuke@VERT/NUKE (Nuke)
To: Limawhiskey
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 09:36:18 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Nuke - Fri, 30 Dec 2022 14:36 UTC

Re: Carry Pistols
By: Limawhiskey to All on Mon Dec 05 2022 17:35:12

> Those of you that carry, what do you carry or prefer? I find my G19 G
> is comfortable, however, somtimes I will carry a 1911 platform with 8rd mags
> and one round chambered. Only issue I have is finding a good holster for th
> G19. I still debate putting a light on it though.
>
> What is your carry of choice fellow DOVE Net users?

I love my Kimber Ultra Carry II. Just fits like a glove. Close runner and my
goto alternative is Sig Sauer P938.

---
■ Synchronet ■ WestwoodBBS.net

Re: Carry Pistols

<63B72C7F.624.dove-firearms@final-zone.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=934&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#934

From: jimmy.anderson@VERT/FINALZON (Jimmy Anderson)
To: Limawhiskey
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 06:22:00 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Jimmy Anderson - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 12:22 UTC

-=> Limawhiskey wrote to All <=-

Li> Those of you that carry, what do you carry or prefer? I find my
Li> G19 Gen5 is comfortable, however, somtimes I will carry a 1911 platform
Li> with 8rd mags and one round chambered. Only issue I have is finding a
Li> good holster for the G19. I still debate putting a light on it though.

Li> What is your carry of choice fellow DOVE Net users?

..40 Shield first gen

wife carries a P365 XL w/Romeo Zero. Shoots GREAT, but is just a TOUCH
small for my hand... Love the flat trigger though, and the red dot!

If I ever invest in a replacement will likely be a Shield Plus. I do
like sticking with .40, but much more 9mm (or .30SC) sounds good too...

.... Warning! Tagline thieves abound. See next message area for details!
--- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
� Synchronet � Final Zone BBS - final-zone.net - finalzone.ddns.net

Re: Carry Pistols

<63B72C7F.625.dove-firearms@final-zone.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=935&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#935

From: jimmy.anderson@VERT/FINALZON (Jimmy Anderson)
To: Arelor
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 06:24:00 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Jimmy Anderson - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 12:24 UTC

-=> Arelor wrote to Limawhiskey <=-

Ar> If it was legal here or I were willing to break the law and admit it on
Ar> a public forum, I would go with a Llama .38 revolver. I am tired of
Ar> semi-autos because I see so many get stuck in the shooting range.

Is it the airplane or the pilot? :-)

Ar> This brings the question: how is people carrying single action semis
Ar> these days? Do they holster it with a chambered round and the safety
Ar> on?

Mine is not a SA, but is a striker fired. It has NO manual safety, but
there is a trigger safety. I carry it chambered and 'hot.'

Ar> BTW I think a bowie knife is also a great carry if you are big enough
Ar> to pack it. A regular person spends more time cutting and chopping
Ar> things than shooting at stuff anyway. If it was legal here or I were
Ar> willing to break the law and admit it on a public forum, I'd carry a
Ar> Ka-Bar Heavy Bowie in a custom sheath (because the one it comes with is
Ar> lame).

My backup is a tactical pen. I can carry it where a gun is not legal, and
it makes for a great 'poker!'

.... And on the 8th day God said, "Murphy, you're in charge."
--- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
� Synchronet � Final Zone BBS - final-zone.net - finalzone.ddns.net

Re: Carry Pistols

<63B72C7F.626.dove-firearms@final-zone.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=936&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#936

From: jimmy.anderson@VERT/FINALZON (Jimmy Anderson)
To: Arelor
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 06:25:00 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Jimmy Anderson - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 12:25 UTC

-=> Arelor wrote to Limawhiskey <=-

Ar> That sounds safer than my .38. It has no safety. It has one of those
Ar> firing-pin blockers designed to prevent it from going off if something
Ar> hits the hammer accidentally, and that is it. Maybe the manufacturer
Ar> thought making the trigger hard as heck counted as a safety measure.

Like the police safety on the Glocks? :-)

.... This tagline is identical to the one you are reading.
--- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
� Synchronet � Final Zone BBS - final-zone.net - finalzone.ddns.net

Re: Carry Pistols

<63B72C7F.627.dove-firearms@final-zone.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=937&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#937

From: jimmy.anderson@VERT/FINALZON (Jimmy Anderson)
To: Moondog
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 06:28:00 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Jimmy Anderson - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 12:28 UTC

-=> Moondog wrote to Arelor <=-

Mo> Handloading is hobby that feeds another hobby, and doesn't save much
Mo> money. You spend the same money, but you soot more with it. I run a
Mo> couple single stage presses, but if I got into shooting competitively,
Mo> I would have to inves t in a progressive press to keep up with empty
Mo> brass to loaded ammo ratio. I am what you call a rainy day reloader.
Mo> If it is too cold or wet outside, I'll be down in my basement sizing
Mo> and trimming brass or loading cases.

Mo> I only recommend reloading for those who are willing to make the time,
Mo> since it is a hobby in itself.

I have thought about it before, but I have hobbies already that take
time, that I'd rather be doing. :-)

My youngest son has talked about it, and if it was something we could
do TOGETHER? That's another story!

.... Famous Last Words: Oops.
--- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
� Synchronet � Final Zone BBS - final-zone.net - finalzone.ddns.net

Re: Carry Pistols

<63B89F46.871.dove-firearms@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=939&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#939

From: arelor@VERT/PALANT (Arelor)
To: Jimmy Anderson
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 09:23:02 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Arelor - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 15:23 UTC

Re: Re: Carry Pistols
By: Jimmy Anderson to Arelor on Thu Jan 05 2023 01:24 pm

> Ar> If it was legal here or I were willing to break the law and admit it on
> Ar> a public forum, I would go with a Llama .38 revolver. I am tired of
> Ar> semi-autos because I see so many get stuck in the shooting range.
>
> Is it the airplane or the pilot? :-)

The old Astra semi-autos in my regular shooting range, which they have for lending to
new shooters, certainly count as defective crap. There were a couple of them I have
never seen discharge a whole magazine without getting jammed.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: Carry Pistols

<63B8A0AB.872.dove-firearms@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=940&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#940

From: arelor@VERT/PALANT (Arelor)
To: Jimmy Anderson
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 09:28:59 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Arelor - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 15:28 UTC

Re: Re: Carry Pistols
By: Jimmy Anderson to Arelor on Thu Jan 05 2023 01:24 pm

> Ar> BTW I think a bowie knife is also a great carry if you are big enough
> Ar> to pack it. A regular person spends more time cutting and chopping
> Ar> things than shooting at stuff anyway. If it was legal here or I were
> Ar> willing to break the law and admit it on a public forum, I'd carry a
> Ar> Ka-Bar Heavy Bowie in a custom sheath (because the one it comes with is
> Ar> lame).
>
> My backup is a tactical pen. I can carry it where a gun is not legal, and
> it makes for a great 'poker!'

I am not a fan of so called tactical pens. For one thing, they don't cut. Knives don't
write, but if you need to write something you are more likely to find a pen lying
around than a good knife. ie. if I am at home and need to pick a pen for taking a
note, I will find one in a drawer. If I am in the horseyard and one of the horses gets
entangled with a rope, I won't have a knife unless I pack one myself.

There is also the fact that no LEO is getting fooled by a tactical pen. It is gonna be
classified as a weapon. If you are going to carry something that will be classified as
a weapon with the intention of using it as a weapon, you may as well pack the real
deal.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: Carry Pistols

<63BA4622.633.dove-firearms@final-zone.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=942&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#942

From: jimmy.anderson@VERT/FINALZON (Jimmy Anderson)
To: Arelor
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 14:56:00 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Jimmy Anderson - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 20:56 UTC

-=> Arelor wrote to Jimmy Anderson <=-

Ar> Re: Re: Carry Pistols
Ar> By: Jimmy Anderson to Arelor on Thu Jan 05 2023 01:24 pm

> Ar> If it was legal here or I were willing to break the law and admit it on
> Ar> a public forum, I would go with a Llama .38 revolver. I am tired of
> Ar> semi-autos because I see so many get stuck in the shooting range.
>
> Is it the airplane or the pilot? :-)
>

Ar> The old Astra semi-autos in my regular shooting range, which they have
Ar> for lending to new shooters, certainly count as defective crap. There
Ar> were a couple of them I have never seen discharge a whole magazine
Ar> without getting jammed.

Ah - so a GOOD QUALITY semi-auto would be fine then?

.... Capt'n! The spellchecker kinna take this abuse!
--- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
� Synchronet � Final Zone BBS - final-zone.net - finalzone.ddns.net

Re: Carry Pistols

<63BA4622.634.dove-firearms@final-zone.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=943&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#943

From: jimmy.anderson@VERT/FINALZON (Jimmy Anderson)
To: Arelor
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 14:59:00 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Jimmy Anderson - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 20:59 UTC

-=> Arelor wrote to Jimmy Anderson <=-

> My backup is a tactical pen. I can carry it where a gun is not legal, and
> it makes for a great 'poker!'
>

Ar> I am not a fan of so called tactical pens. For one thing, they don't
Ar> cut. Knives don't write, but if you need to write something you are
Ar> more likely to find a pen lying around than a good knife. ie. if I am
Ar> at home and need to pick a pen for taking a note, I will find one in a
Ar> drawer. If I am in the horseyard and one of the horses gets entangled
Ar> with a rope, I won't have a knife unless I pack one myself.

I carry a pocketknife also, but even that is not allowed some places.

Ar> There is also the fact that no LEO is getting fooled by a tactical pen.
Ar> It is gonna be classified as a weapon. If you are going to carry
Ar> something that will be classified as a weapon with the intention of
Ar> using it as a weapon, you may as well pack the real deal.

Not worrieda about LEO when it comes to a posted area like a movie
theater, bank, school, etc.

And I'm not trying to 'fool' any body with it. It's my backup in the
event someone tries to wrestle with my gun hand, preventing a draw.
The pen is in my shirt pocket and I can grab it with either hand, but
it's also 'better than nothing' if I can't carry my gun...

.... Every crowd has a silver lining - Phineas Taylor Barnum
--- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
� Synchronet � Final Zone BBS - final-zone.net - finalzone.ddns.net

Re: Carry Pistols

<63BB1D67.2708.dove-gun@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=944&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#944

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: Jimmy Anderson
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 07:45:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Moondog - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 12:45 UTC

Re: Re: Carry Pistols
By: Jimmy Anderson to Arelor on Sat Jan 07 2023 09:59 pm

> -=> Arelor wrote to Jimmy Anderson <=-
>
> > My backup is a tactical pen. I can carry it where a gun is not legal, and
> > it makes for a great 'poker!'
> >

> Ar> I am not a fan of so called tactical pens. For one thing, they don't
> Ar> cut. Knives don't write, but if you need to write something you are
> Ar> more likely to find a pen lying around than a good knife. ie. if I am
> Ar> at home and need to pick a pen for taking a note, I will find one in a
> Ar> drawer. If I am in the horseyard and one of the horses gets entangled
> Ar> with a rope, I won't have a knife unless I pack one myself.
>
> I carry a pocketknife also, but even that is not allowed some places.
>
> Ar> There is also the fact that no LEO is getting fooled by a tactical pen.
> Ar> It is gonna be classified as a weapon. If you are going to carry
> Ar> something that will be classified as a weapon with the intention of
> Ar> using it as a weapon, you may as well pack the real deal.
>
> Not worrieda about LEO when it comes to a posted area like a movie
> theater, bank, school, etc.
>
> And I'm not trying to 'fool' any body with it. It's my backup in the
> event someone tries to wrestle with my gun hand, preventing a draw.
> The pen is in my shirt pocket and I can grab it with either hand, but
> it's also 'better than nothing' if I can't carry my gun...
>

> ... Every crowd has a silver lining - Phineas Taylor Barnum

Situational awareness is you greatest tool. Refuse to be a victim by
avoiding becoming a victim. If someone is watching you as if something is goi
ng to happen, the chances are you casually pause and look around and see if
someone else is looking suspicious. If you can walk on the opposite side of
an obstacle and not forced to be in close proximity with a person is quick and
easy. Look out for peple in parking lots, or if there were several open
parking spots, but a van parked along side you. Then van situation is
normally advised to women because an attacker can be waiting in the van, thne
open the side door and grab the victim as they are trying to unlock their
car. I knew a state policeman who gave that advice to everyone, because
abduction by van was common when he was doing VIP protection working as an MP
while deployed in Germany in the Army.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

Re: Carry Pistols

<63BAD6A8.667.dove-firearms@tlcbbs.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=945&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#945

From: weatherman@VERT/TLCBBS (Weatherman)
To: Jimmy Anderson
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 00:43:52 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Weatherman - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 07:43 UTC

> -=> Arelor wrote to Jimmy Anderson <=-

> > My backup is a tactical pen. I can carry it where a gun is not legal, and
> > it makes for a great 'poker!'

> Ar> I am not a fan of so called tactical pens. For one thing, they don't
> Ar> cut. Knives don't write, but if you need to write something you are
> Ar> more likely to find a pen lying around than a good knife. ie. if I am
> Ar> at home and need to pick a pen for taking a note, I will find one in a
> Ar> drawer. If I am in the horseyard and one of the horses gets entangled
> Ar> with a rope, I won't have a knife unless I pack one myself.

> I carry a pocketknife also, but even that is not allowed some places.

> Ar> There is also the fact that no LEO is getting fooled by a tactical pen.
> Ar> It is gonna be classified as a weapon. If you are going to carry
> Ar> something that will be classified as a weapon with the intention of
> Ar> using it as a weapon, you may as well pack the real deal.

> Not worrieda about LEO when it comes to a posted area like a movie
> theater, bank, school, etc.

> And I'm not trying to 'fool' any body with it. It's my backup in the
> event someone tries to wrestle with my gun hand, preventing a draw.
> The pen is in my shirt pocket and I can grab it with either hand, but
> it's also 'better than nothing' if I can't carry my gun...

> ... Every crowd has a silver lining - Phineas Taylor Barnum

For that reason I always keep my pocket knife (which is a one hand open design)
in my support hand pocket and I use the clip on the side so I don't have to dig
deep. My primary backup is in the strong hand pocket, a .380 with 11 rounds
loaded is a pretty decent backup, I think.

Regards,
-==*>Weatherman<*==-

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Lost Chord BBS - Cheyenne, WY

Re: Carry Pistols

<63BB4277.879.dove-firearms@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=946&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#946

From: arelor@VERT/PALANT (Arelor)
To: Jimmy Anderson
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 09:23:51 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Arelor - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 15:23 UTC

Re: Re: Carry Pistols
By: Jimmy Anderson to Arelor on Sat Jan 07 2023 09:56 pm

> Ar> The old Astra semi-autos in my regular shooting range, which they have
> Ar> for lending to new shooters, certainly count as defective crap. There
> Ar> were a couple of them I have never seen discharge a whole magazine
> Ar> without getting jammed.
>
> Ah - so a GOOD QUALITY semi-auto would be fine then?

Yes, it would be fine, but I got thrauma from those Astras so I'd rather stay
with the Llama.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: Carry Pistols

<63BCD690.2714.dove-gun@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=950&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#950

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: Weatherman
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 15:08:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Moondog - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 20:08 UTC

Re: Re: Carry Pistols
By: Weatherman to Jimmy Anderson on Sun Jan 08 2023 07:43 am

> > -=> Arelor wrote to Jimmy Anderson <=-
>
> > > My backup is a tactical pen. I can carry it where a gun is not legal,
> > > it makes for a great 'poker!'
>

> > Ar> I am not a fan of so called tactical pens. For one thing, they don't
> > Ar> cut. Knives don't write, but if you need to write something you are
> > Ar> more likely to find a pen lying around than a good knife. ie. if I a
> > Ar> at home and need to pick a pen for taking a note, I will find one in
> > Ar> drawer. If I am in the horseyard and one of the horses gets entangle
> > Ar> with a rope, I won't have a knife unless I pack one myself.
>
> > I carry a pocketknife also, but even that is not allowed some places.
>
> > Ar> There is also the fact that no LEO is getting fooled by a tactical p
> > Ar> It is gonna be classified as a weapon. If you are going to carry
> > Ar> something that will be classified as a weapon with the intention of
> > Ar> using it as a weapon, you may as well pack the real deal.
>
> > Not worrieda about LEO when it comes to a posted area like a movie
> > theater, bank, school, etc.
>
> > And I'm not trying to 'fool' any body with it. It's my backup in the
> > event someone tries to wrestle with my gun hand, preventing a draw.
> > The pen is in my shirt pocket and I can grab it with either hand, but
> > it's also 'better than nothing' if I can't carry my gun...
>

> > ... Every crowd has a silver lining - Phineas Taylor Barnum
>
> For that reason I always keep my pocket knife (which is a one hand open desi
> in my support hand pocket and I use the clip on the side so I don't have to
> deep. My primary backup is in the strong hand pocket, a .380 with 11 rounds
> loaded is a pretty decent backup, I think.
>
> Regards,
> -==*>Weatherman<*==-

Tactical pens and other pokey devices have value. A tactical pen or letter
opener can pierce a lung or an artery in a neck. Your choice of attack
points need to be critical in order for the other guy to rethink what he does
next.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

Re: Carry Pistols

<63C0B5EE.642.dove-firearms@final-zone.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=952&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#952

From: jimmy.anderson@VERT/FINALZON (Jimmy Anderson)
To: Moondog
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 12:30:00 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Jimmy Anderson - Thu, 12 Jan 2023 18:30 UTC

-=> Moondog wrote to Weatherman <=-

Mo> Tactical pens and other pokey devices have value. A tactical pen or
Mo> letter opener can pierce a lung or an artery in a neck. Your choice of
Mo> attack points need to be critical in order for the other guy to rethink
Mo> what he does next.

Agreed! And in a situation where you only have a pointy thing and there's
an active shooter or something... If you can't hide, go for the eyes!

.... Taglines void where prohibited.
--- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
� Synchronet � Final Zone BBS - final-zone.net - finalzone.ddns.net

Carry Pistols

<63D829D6.3730.dove-gun@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=969&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#969

From: ted.long@VERT (Ted Long)
To: Nuke
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 05:34:30 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Ted Long - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 13:34 UTC

Re: Carry Pistols
By: Nuke to Limawhiskey on Fri Dec 30 2022 04:36 pm

I wouldn't trade my Glock 20 for a truckload of beer. .45 AGP gets the job done.

---
■ Synchronet ■ Vertrauen ■ Home of Synchronet ■ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Carry Pistols

<63D99F5F.1996.dove-firearms@warensemble.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=970&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#970

From: daitengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE (DaiTengu)
To: Ted Long
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 10:08:15 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: DaiTengu - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 16:08 UTC

Re: Carry Pistols
By: Ted Long to Nuke on Mon Jan 30 2023 12:34 pm

TL> I wouldn't trade my Glock 20 for a truckload of beer. .45 AGP gets the job
TL> done.

I wouldn't give you a single bottle of beer, much less a whole truckload for a Glock 20. Or any Glock for that matter.

DaiTengu

....He who laughs, lasts.

---
■ Synchronet ■ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com

Carry Pistols

<63DAA848.3732.dove-gun@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=971&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#971

From: cougar428@VERT (Cougar428)
To: DAITENGU
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2023 04:55:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Cougar428 - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 12:55 UTC

-=> Quoting Daitengu to Ted Long <=-

TL> I wouldn't trade my Glock 20 for a truckload of beer. .45 AGP gets the job
TL> done.

Isn't the Glock 20 chanbered in 10mm? I thought the Glock 21 was
chambered in .45 ACP...

Da> I wouldn't give you a single bottle of beer, much less a whole
Da> truckload for a Glock 20. Or any Glock for that matter.
Da> DaiTengu

Not a Glock fan, I get it. I don't own one, but see alot of reviews
that they are a decent weapon. Just wondering, have you had bad
experiences with them?

Thanks,

Cougar

.... Childish Game: One at which your spouse beats you.

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

---