Hindsight is always 20:20. -- Billy Wilder

dovenet / Firearms / Carry Pistols

SubjectAuthor
* Carry PistolsLimawhiskey
+- Carry PistolsDaiTengu
+- Carry PistolsMickey
+* Carry PistolsArelor
|+* Carry PistolsLimawhiskey
||`* Carry PistolsArelor
|| +* Carry PistolsLimawhiksey
|| |`* Carry PistolsArelor
|| | `* Carry PistolsMoondog
|| |  `- Re: Carry PistolsJimmy Anderson
|| `- Re: Carry PistolsJimmy Anderson
|+- Carry PistolsMoondog
|`* Re: Carry PistolsJimmy Anderson
| +* Re: Carry PistolsArelor
| |`* Re: Carry PistolsJimmy Anderson
| | `- Re: Carry PistolsArelor
| `* Re: Carry PistolsArelor
|  `* Re: Carry PistolsJimmy Anderson
|   +- Re: Carry PistolsMoondog
|   `* Re: Carry PistolsWeatherman
|    `* Re: Carry PistolsMoondog
|     `- Re: Carry PistolsJimmy Anderson
+- Re: Carry PistolsWeatherman
+- Carry PistolsRagnar0k
+* Carry PistolsNuke
|`* Carry PistolsTed Long
| `* Carry PistolsDaiTengu
|  `* Carry PistolsCougar428
|   +* Carry PistolsDaiTengu
|   |`- Carry PistolsCougar428
|   `* Carry PistolsMoondog
|    `* Carry PistolsCougar428
|     `* Carry PistolsMoondog
|      `* Carry PistolsCougar428
|       `* Carry PistolsMoondog
|        `* Carry PistolsCougar428
|         +* Carry PistolsMoondog
|         |`* Carry PistolsCougar428
|         | `- Carry PistolsMoondog
|         `* Carry PistolsDumas Walker
|          `* Carry PistolsMoondog
|           `* Carry PistolsDumas Walker
|            +* Carry Pistolspoindexter FORTRAN
|            |+* Carry PistolsMoondog
|            ||`* Re: Carry Pistolspoindexter FORTRAN
|            || `- Re: Carry PistolsMoondog
|            |+* Carry PistolsDumas Walker
|            ||+* Re: Carry Pistolspoindexter FORTRAN
|            |||`- Re: Carry PistolsCougar428
|            ||`- Carry PistolsMoondog
|            |`- Carry PistolsCougar428
|            `- Carry PistolsMoondog
`- Re: Carry PistolsJimmy Anderson

Pages:123
Carry Pistols

<63DE627C.3736.dove-gun@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=1&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#1

From: cougar428@VERT (Cougar428)
To: MOONDOG
Subject: Carry Pistols
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 00:14:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Cougar428 - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 08:14 UTC

-=> Quoting Moondog to Cougar428 <=-

-=> Snip <=-
Mo> I am not a Glock fan. There's nothing wrong with them mechanically.
Mo> I'm not a fan of the grip angle.
Ah - that I can understand. If it's not comfortable to hold, it
may not be very accurate in your hands.

Mo> At a dealer event I had a chance to sample some higher end pistols
Mo> with nicer sights and triggers. I tried a $2400 Salient Arms Glock
Mo> and couldn't shoot it much better than plain factory Glock. I tried an
Mo> STI (Staccato) 2011 framed pistol and it was a tack driver at 50 yards.
Mo> I'm really liking the Walther PPQ.

Wow - checking out reviews for SAI modified Glocks, alot of people
like them. They sound kind of extravagant though. STI looks
interesting as well, looks like people love the grips.

I have not held or fired the PPQ, but have fired other Walther
weapons and I really like the grip on the one I used.

Cougar

.... Kiss my ASCII

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

---
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Carry Pistols

<63DFEAE8.2740.dove-gun@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#2

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: Cougar428
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 05:44:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Moondog - Sun, 5 Feb 2023 10:44 UTC

Re: Carry Pistols
By: Cougar428 to MOONDOG on Sat Feb 04 2023 07:14 am

> -=> Quoting Moondog to Cougar428 <=-
>
> -=> Snip <=-
> Mo> I am not a Glock fan. There's nothing wrong with them mechanically.
> Mo> I'm not a fan of the grip angle.
>
> Ah - that I can understand. If it's not comfortable to hold, it
> may not be very accurate in your hands.
>
> Mo> At a dealer event I had a chance to sample some higher end pistols
> Mo> with nicer sights and triggers. I tried a $2400 Salient Arms Glock
> Mo> and couldn't shoot it much better than plain factory Glock. I tried an
> Mo> STI (Staccato) 2011 framed pistol and it was a tack driver at 50 yards.
> Mo> I'm really liking the Walther PPQ.
>
> Wow - checking out reviews for SAI modified Glocks, alot of people
> like them. They sound kind of extravagant though. STI looks
> interesting as well, looks like people love the grips.
>
> I have not held or fired the PPQ, but have fired other Walther
> weapons and I really like the grip on the one I used.
>
> Cougar
>

> ... Kiss my ASCII
>
> ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

One of my range buddies carries a steel framed PPQ with a Trijicon MRO optic.
His match gun is a steel frame PPQ with a Trijicon SRO. The SRO hasa good
field of view, and a small dot, around 2 moa. I've shot red dots that have
5moa . and that's too big for precise shooting. The dot will cover a pie
plate at 25 yards. That's considered long distance at defensive levels, but i
t's a good peace of mind feeling if you can place tight shots at longer
distances. If I have to escape and evade multiple attackers in a parking
lot, I want the ability to place shots at 50 yards or more

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

Carry Pistols

<63E324DA.3738.dove-gun@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=3&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#3

From: cougar428@VERT (Cougar428)
To: MOONDOG
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 15:37:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Cougar428 - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 23:37 UTC

-=> Quoting Moondog to Cougar428 <=-

Mo> Re: Carry Pistols
Mo> By: Cougar428 to MOONDOG on Sat Feb 04 2023 07:14 am
Mo> One of my range buddies carries a steel framed PPQ with a Trijicon MRO
Mo> optic. His match gun is a steel frame PPQ with a Trijicon SRO. The
Mo> SRO hasa good field of view, and a small dot, around 2 moa. I've shot
Mo> red dots that have 5moa . and that's too big for precise shooting. The
Mo> dot will cover a pie plate at 25 yards. That's considered long
Mo> distance at defensive levels, but i t's a good peace of mind feeling if
Mo> you can place tight shots at longer distances. If I have to escape and
Mo> evade multiple attackers in a parking lot, I want the ability to place
Mo> shots at 50 yards or more

You are out of my knowledge area. I have never used an SRO, so I
don't know much about them, looking the Trijicon up on the interwebs
showed me they cost more than any pistol I have. I guess if you're
in a situation where you need the accuracy, sounds like the way to
go.

I get it, it's all about having the capability if you need it. It's
better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

Peace!

Cougar

.... I tried an internal modem, but it hurt when I walked.

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

---
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Carry Pistols

<63E402C0.2742.dove-gun@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=4&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#4

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: Cougar428
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 08:14:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Moondog - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 13:14 UTC

Re: Carry Pistols
By: Cougar428 to MOONDOG on Tue Feb 07 2023 10:37 pm

> -=> Quoting Moondog to Cougar428 <=-
>
> Mo> Re: Carry Pistols
> Mo> By: Cougar428 to MOONDOG on Sat Feb 04 2023 07:14 am
>
> Mo> One of my range buddies carries a steel framed PPQ with a Trijicon MRO
> Mo> optic. His match gun is a steel frame PPQ with a Trijicon SRO. The
> Mo> SRO hasa good field of view, and a small dot, around 2 moa. I've shot
> Mo> red dots that have 5moa . and that's too big for precise shooting. The
> Mo> dot will cover a pie plate at 25 yards. That's considered long
> Mo> distance at defensive levels, but i t's a good peace of mind feeling if
> Mo> you can place tight shots at longer distances. If I have to escape and
> Mo> evade multiple attackers in a parking lot, I want the ability to place
> Mo> shots at 50 yards or more
>
> You are out of my knowledge area. I have never used an SRO, so I
> don't know much about them, looking the Trijicon up on the interwebs
> showed me they cost more than any pistol I have. I guess if you're
> in a situation where you need the accuracy, sounds like the way to
> go.
>
> I get it, it's all about having the capability if you need it. It's
> better to have it and not need it than the other way around.
>
> Peace!
>
> Cougar
>
> ... I tried an internal modem, but it hurt when I walked.
>
> ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

For a match gun or even a hunting weapon it is easy to invest as much in the
optic as in the firearm. If someone went on a 2 week trip hunting in Alaska
oir safari in Africa, the firarm and optic is a minor investment compared to
the travel and housing costs. I have a friend that owns an $8000 FLIR thermal
he sits on a suppressed Ruger 10/22 for shooting raccoons and other critters
in his neighborhood in complete darkness and near silence. The scope has a ge
neric mount, so it's not money wasted on just a $300 .22 with a $300
suppressor

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

Carry Pistols

<63E50E8D.3740.dove-gun@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=5&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#5

From: cougar428@VERT (Cougar428)
To: MOONDOG
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 01:43:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Cougar428 - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 09:43 UTC

-=> Quoting Moondog to Cougar428 <=-

> I get it, it's all about having the capability if you need it. It's
> better to have it and not need it than the other way around.
>
Mo> For a match gun or even a hunting weapon it is easy to invest as much
Mo> in the optic as in the firearm. If someone went on a 2 week trip
Mo> hunting in Alaska oir safari in Africa, the firarm and optic is a minor
Mo> investment compared to the travel and housing costs. I have a friend
Mo> that owns an $8000 FLIR thermal he sits on a suppressed Ruger 10/22
Mo> for shooting raccoons and other critters in his neighborhood in
Mo> complete darkness and near silence. The scope has a ge neric mount, so
Mo> it's not money wasted on just a $300 .22 with a $300 suppressor

I occasionally watch video's of exterminators (rats on farms) who
use pellet rifles on the job. These guys use pellet rifles that
cost more than all my 22's put together and the scopes and night
optics they use are incredible.

Looking some of the equipment up, they are in the thousands. These
people are phenominally on target with this equipment. Either that
or they just cut out all the misses (which I'm sure is the case).

I'd love to have something that accurate on my 22, or pellet rifle.

I sadly find the video's entertaining...

Cougar

.... New Mail not found. Start whine-pout sequence?

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

---
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Carry Pistols

<63E52C2A.2744.dove-gun@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=6&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#6

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: Cougar428
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 05:23:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Moondog - Thu, 9 Feb 2023 10:23 UTC

Re: Carry Pistols
By: Cougar428 to MOONDOG on Thu Feb 09 2023 08:43 am

> -=> Quoting Moondog to Cougar428 <=-
>
> > I get it, it's all about having the capability if you need it. It's
> > better to have it and not need it than the other way around.
> >
> Mo> For a match gun or even a hunting weapon it is easy to invest as much
> Mo> in the optic as in the firearm. If someone went on a 2 week trip
> Mo> hunting in Alaska oir safari in Africa, the firarm and optic is a minor
> Mo> investment compared to the travel and housing costs. I have a friend
> Mo> that owns an $8000 FLIR thermal he sits on a suppressed Ruger 10/22
> Mo> for shooting raccoons and other critters in his neighborhood in
> Mo> complete darkness and near silence. The scope has a ge neric mount, so
> Mo> it's not money wasted on just a $300 .22 with a $300 suppressor
>
> I occasionally watch video's of exterminators (rats on farms) who
> use pellet rifles on the job. These guys use pellet rifles that
> cost more than all my 22's put together and the scopes and night
> optics they use are incredible.
>
> Looking some of the equipment up, they are in the thousands. These
> people are phenominally on target with this equipment. Either that
> or they just cut out all the misses (which I'm sure is the case).
>
> I'd love to have something that accurate on my 22, or pellet rifle.
>
> I sadly find the video's entertaining...
>
> Cougar
>
> ... New Mail not found. Start whine-pout sequence?
>
> ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

I've seen some of air rifle videos where the farmers have too many starlings
or sparrows, and they thin out the herd. The scope cam footage is interestin
because they factor in wind drift and the amount of drop at the distance they
are shooting. The crosshairs air used for wind value and a range finder is
used to determine loss of energy and drop.

I heard of a budget version of precision rifle where they use rimfires rather
than centerfire cartridges. Instead of needing a 1000 yardrange, they shoot
..22 rimfire at 300 yards. With standard velocity rounds its nearly a rainbow
trajectory reaching out to 300 yards. One time I tried to take a shot at awoo
dchuck whose hole was 185 yards from the barn. Witht eh ballistics program I
was using, I had to factor in several feet of holdover to lob the bullet in.
I missed by 2 inches, then after that the woodchuck ran for his hole any time
to back door on the house was opened. I couldn't safely shoot it with a .223
because of the proximity of the neighbors' house.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

Carry Pistols

<63E685C5.3742.dove-gun@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=7&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#7

From: cougar428@VERT (Cougar428)
To: MOONDOG
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 05:24:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Cougar428 - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 13:24 UTC

-=> Quoting Moondog to Cougar428 <=-

Mo> I've seen some of air rifle videos where the farmers have too many
Mo> starlings or sparrows, and they thin out the herd. The scope cam
Mo> footage is interestin because they factor in wind drift and the amount
Mo> of drop at the distance they are shooting. The crosshairs air used for
Mo> wind value and a range finder is used to determine loss of energy and
Mo> drop.

Mo> I heard of a budget version of precision rifle where they use rimfires
Mo> rather than centerfire cartridges. Instead of needing a 1000
Mo> yardrange, they shoot .22 rimfire at 300 yards. With standard velocity
Mo> rounds its nearly a rainbow trajectory reaching out to 300 yards. One
Mo> time I tried to take a shot at awoo dchuck whose hole was 185 yards
Mo> from the barn. Witht eh ballistics program I was using, I had to
Mo> factor in several feet of holdover to lob the bullet in. I missed by 2
Mo> inches, then after that the woodchuck ran for his hole any time to back
Mo> door on the house was opened. I couldn't safely shoot it with a .223
Mo> because of the proximity of the neighbors' house.

In some of the pest videos like the one below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM9SFp_muT4&t=444s

I can't tell from the optics about windage and such, but these are
pretty close range shots and it looks like (from the footage) that
the person shooting is pretty accurate.

Cougar

.... Press ESC to enter or ENTER to escape...

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

---
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Carry Pistols

<63E6BCF7.2417.dove-gun@capitolcityonline.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=8&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#8

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: COUGAR428
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 09:40:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Dumas Walker - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 14:40 UTC

> I occasionally watch video's of exterminators (rats on farms) who
> use pellet rifles on the job. These guys use pellet rifles that
> cost more than all my 22's put together and the scopes and night
> optics they use are incredible.

Some of the pellet rifles are quite expensive, especially the PCP ones.
Some of them have enough power for small game and vermin, so I guess you
save money on the ammo in the long run.

* SLMR 2.1a * LSD: Virtual Reality without all the fancy hardware

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

Carry Pistols

<63E6ED0D.2746.dove-gun@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=9&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#9

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: Cougar428
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 13:19:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Moondog - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 18:19 UTC

Re: Carry Pistols
By: Cougar428 to MOONDOG on Fri Feb 10 2023 12:24 pm

> -=> Quoting Moondog to Cougar428 <=-
>
> Mo> I've seen some of air rifle videos where the farmers have too many
> Mo> starlings or sparrows, and they thin out the herd. The scope cam
> Mo> footage is interestin because they factor in wind drift and the amount
> Mo> of drop at the distance they are shooting. The crosshairs air used for
> Mo> wind value and a range finder is used to determine loss of energy and
> Mo> drop.
>
> Mo> I heard of a budget version of precision rifle where they use rimfires
> Mo> rather than centerfire cartridges. Instead of needing a 1000
> Mo> yardrange, they shoot .22 rimfire at 300 yards. With standard velocity
> Mo> rounds its nearly a rainbow trajectory reaching out to 300 yards. One
> Mo> time I tried to take a shot at awoo dchuck whose hole was 185 yards
> Mo> from the barn. Witht eh ballistics program I was using, I had to
> Mo> factor in several feet of holdover to lob the bullet in. I missed by 2
> Mo> inches, then after that the woodchuck ran for his hole any time to back
> Mo> door on the house was opened. I couldn't safely shoot it with a .223
> Mo> because of the proximity of the neighbors' house.
>
> In some of the pest videos like the one below:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM9SFp_muT4&t=444s
>
> I can't tell from the optics about windage and such, but these are
> pretty close range shots and it looks like (from the footage) that
> the person shooting is pretty accurate.
>
> Cougar
>

> ... Press ESC to enter or ENTER to escape...
>
> ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

The shooters use external signs, such as flags to detect wind travel and speed
.. Range finding is done with known reference points and range finders. They
calculate the drop and adjust for hold over. On the videos I watched the
crosshair was hardly on the target. Instead, the crosshair would be2 or 3
mil dots high and a few to the left. You would see the pellet fly down the
trajectory path to the target.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

Carry Pistols

<63E7FB07.2748.dove-gun@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=10&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#10

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 08:31:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Moondog - Sat, 11 Feb 2023 13:31 UTC

Re: Carry Pistols
By: Dumas Walker to COUGAR428 on Fri Feb 10 2023 04:40 pm

> > I occasionally watch video's of exterminators (rats on farms) who
> > use pellet rifles on the job. These guys use pellet rifles that
> > cost more than all my 22's put together and the scopes and night
> > optics they use are incredible.
>
> Some of the pellet rifles are quite expensive, especially the PCP ones.
> Some of them have enough power for small game and vermin, so I guess you
> save money on the ammo in the long run.
>

> * SLMR 2.1a * LSD: Virtual Reality without all the fancy hardware

They make models that deliver the same velocity of a .22 (1200fps) and you
can get versions with built-in suppressors (they are not regulated like
firearms.) The advantage or disadvantage is you have a reduced effective
range. It's a plus if you're shooting rodents or pest birds in pole barn or
in an area where a .22 would create more damage if you miss or the projectile
over penetrates.

There are pnuematics chambered for .357 and .50 caliber that can take a deer
sized animal with a clean kill. I have an old hunting buddy that got messed
up with dealing drugs after high school, and he lost his right to own a firearm.
He's cleaned up since then, and he hunts turkey and deer with a big bore air
rifle.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

Carry Pistols

<63E90079.2421.dove-gun@capitolcityonline.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=11&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#11

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: MOONDOG
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 03:05:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Dumas Walker - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 08:05 UTC

> There are pnuematics chambered for .357 and .50 caliber that can take a deer
> sized animal with a clean kill. I have an old hunting buddy that got messed
> up with dealing drugs after high school, and he lost his right to own a firear
> He's cleaned up since then, and he hunts turkey and deer with a big bore air
> rifle.

Yeah, I have seen those. Some of the big bore ones don't even look like
traditional rifles, while others are pretty nice looking with wooden
stocks. The highest chambered one I have is a .25 break-barrel with a gas
piston. I use mine for target shooting but a couple of them could take
small game and nusance birds.

I didn't think about people who cannot own a traditional firearm but they
are good alternatives there, too, if you like to hunt.

* SLMR 2.1a * if it has tires or tits, you're gonna have problems

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

Carry Pistols

<63E96B24.2422.dove.firearms@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=12&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#12

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2023 07:41:40 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Sun, 12 Feb 2023 15:41 UTC

Re: Carry Pistols
By: Dumas Walker to MOONDOG on Sun Feb 12 2023 10:05 am

DW> I didn't think about people who cannot own a traditional firearm but they
DW> are good alternatives there, too, if you like to hunt.

I can just see some town in the south where hillbillies who can't drive because of DUIs and can't own firearms because of criminal convictions go around on mopeds with pellet guns.

(A while ago on one of the nets, someone was explaining the joke about seeing mopeds locked up in front of a dive bar - apparently people who got too many DUIs and had their licenses yanked started driving mopeds, which didn't need a drivers license to operate...)

---
■ Synchronet ■ .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Carry Pistols

<63EA4716.2751.dove-gun@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=13&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#13

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 02:20:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Moondog - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 07:20 UTC

Re: Carry Pistols
By: Dumas Walker to MOONDOG on Sun Feb 12 2023 10:05 am

> > There are pnuematics chambered for .357 and .50 caliber that can take a de
> > sized animal with a clean kill. I have an old hunting buddy that got mess
> > up with dealing drugs after high school, and he lost his right to own a fi
> > He's cleaned up since then, and he hunts turkey and deer with a big bore a
> > rifle.
>
> Yeah, I have seen those. Some of the big bore ones don't even look like
> traditional rifles, while others are pretty nice looking with wooden
> stocks. The highest chambered one I have is a .25 break-barrel with a gas
> piston. I use mine for target shooting but a couple of them could take
> small game and nusance birds.
>
> I didn't think about people who cannot own a traditional firearm but they
> are good alternatives there, too, if you like to hunt.
>

> * SLMR 2.1a * if it has tires or tits, you're gonna have problems

With the big bores, you can spend over a thousand dollars easily. If you
live in a densely populated yet rural area, it may be an alternative if you ha
ve physical restrictions that prevent you from operating a bow or resetting a
crossbow. Areas where there is thick brush and limited fields of view versus
bean fields with several hundred yard shots are also good places for a big bor
e air rifle.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

Carry Pistols

<63EA49FD.2752.dove-gun@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=14&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#14

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 02:32:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Moondog - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 07:32 UTC

Re: Carry Pistols
By: poindexter FORTRAN to Dumas Walker on Sun Feb 12 2023 02:41 pm

> Re: Carry Pistols
> By: Dumas Walker to MOONDOG on Sun Feb 12 2023 10:05 am
>
> DW> I didn't think about people who cannot own a traditional firearm but the
> DW> are good alternatives there, too, if you like to hunt.
>
> I can just see some town in the south where hillbillies who can't drive beca
>
> (A while ago on one of the nets, someone was explaining the joke about seein
> perate...)

A bar I used to frequent when I was younger had a bike rack in front. It was
in the town I used to go to school in, and I recognized several of the clients
with driving restrictions. Some bars have the same old folks every
day, and the same stories over and over. I think that is one o the reasons
why I don't go to the bars as much any more. I couldn't imagine spending so
much of my life drinking that it beomes my life.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

Carry Pistols

<63EAB6BE.2425.dove-gun@capitolcityonline.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=15&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#15

From: dumas.walker@VERT/CAPCITY2 (Dumas Walker)
To: POINDEXTER FORTRAN
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 09:46:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Dumas Walker - Mon, 13 Feb 2023 14:46 UTC

> I can just see some town in the south where hillbillies who can't drive
ecaus
> of DUIs and can't own firearms because of criminal convictions go around on
o > ds with pellet guns.

LOL

> (A while ago on one of the nets, someone was explaining the joke about seeing
> peds locked up in front of a dive bar - apparently people who got too many
UI
> and had their licenses yanked started driving mopeds, which didn't need a
riv
> s license to operate...)

I wonder if that is true everywhere. I thought that you needed a license
for a moped here, but not needing one would explain a few things. :)

* SLMR 2.1a * Buttblotting Fluid - The blue stuff on diaper commercials

---
� Synchronet � CAPCITY2 * capcity2.synchro.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/Rlogin/HTTP

Re: Carry Pistols

<63EBA9E2.2426.dove.firearms@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=16&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#16

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Moondog
Subject: Re: Carry Pistols
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 23:54:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 07:54 UTC

-=> Moondog wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

Mo> with driving restrictions. Some bars have the same old folks every
Mo> day, and the same stories over and over. I think that is one o the
Mo> reasons why I don't go to the bars as much any more. I couldn't
Mo> imagine spending so much of my life drinking that it beomes my life.

I suppose it depends on how you approach it. In England, the pub is the
social center of small towns, and people typically have dinner then go
to the pub for a drink, and to meet friends. They're not open all that
late, and people generally aren't drinking to excess. For older people,
it's a great social outlet.

I'd love to be able to go out and have a drink with my friends a couple
of nights a week and spend an hour or so talking over a drink in person
instead of chatting with them on facetwitchatbook.

.... Is the tuning appropriate?
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Re: Carry Pistols

<63EBA9E2.2427.dove.firearms@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=17&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#17

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 23:55:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 07:55 UTC

-=> Dumas Walker wrote to POINDEXTER FORTRAN <=-

DW> I wonder if that is true everywhere. I thought that you needed a
DW> license for a moped here, but not needing one would explain a few
DW> things. :)

In California, you need to license the moped, but as long as it's under
50cc in displacement and doesn't go over 30 mpg, it's a bicycle
according to the law.

.... Is the tuning appropriate?
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
� Synchronet � .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Carry Pistols

<63EBAF95.2754.dove-gun@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=18&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#18

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: Dumas Walker
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 03:58:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Moondog - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 08:58 UTC

Re: Carry Pistols
By: Dumas Walker to POINDEXTER FORTRAN on Mon Feb 13 2023 04:46 pm

> > I can just see some town in the south where hillbillies who can't drive
> ecaus
> > of DUIs and can't own firearms because of criminal convictions go around o
> > ds with pellet guns.
>
> LOL
>
> > (A while ago on one of the nets, someone was explaining the joke about see
> > peds locked up in front of a dive bar - apparently people who got too many
> UI
> > and had their licenses yanked started driving mopeds, which didn't need a
> riv
> > s license to operate...)
>
> I wonder if that is true everywhere. I thought that you needed a license
> for a moped here, but not needing one would explain a few things. :)
>

> * SLMR 2.1a * Buttblotting Fluid - The blue stuff on diaper commercials

I thought mopeds under 49cc were considered toys or hobby bikes. If you want
to drive on highways or express roads, motors of 120cc or more required, and
are treated as motorcycles. E-bikes and electric vehicles had restrictions
based on HP or wattage equivalents.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

Carry Pistols

<63EBED45.3754.dove-gun@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=19&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#19

From: cougar428@VERT (Cougar428)
To: POINDEXTER FORTRAN
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 06:35:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Cougar428 - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 14:35 UTC

-=> Quoting Poindexter Fortran to Dumas Walker <=-

DW> I didn't think about people who cannot own a traditional firearm but they
DW> are good alternatives there, too, if you like to hunt.

PF> I can just see some town in the south where hillbillies who can't
PF> drive because of DUIs and can't own firearms because of criminal
PF> convictions go around on mopeds with pellet guns.
PF> (A while ago on one of the nets, someone was explaining the joke about
PF> seeing mopeds locked up in front of a dive bar - apparently people who
PF> got too many DUIs and had their licenses yanked started driving
PF> mopeds, which didn't need a drivers license to operate...)

It's a funny thought, but...

Not sure where you don't have to have a license to operate a moped
on the roads. I brought one back from Europe and had to get it
licensed for use in PA. I also had to have a drivers license and
insurance. Maybe in other states this isn't the case...

I stopped riding it as people didn't seem to see it on the road. I
stopped at a 4 way, and a car didn't. I jumped off but he ran the
little Honda over. You also don't have to wear a helmet in PA, but
I always did.

Cougar

.... I cna ytpe 300 wrods pre mniuet!

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

---
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: Carry Pistols

<63EBED45.3755.dove-gun@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=20&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#20

From: cougar428@VERT (Cougar428)
To: POINDEXTER FORTRAN
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 06:42:00 -0800
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Cougar428 - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 14:42 UTC

-=> Quoting Poindexter Fortran to Dumas Walker <=-

-=> Dumas Walker wrote to POINDEXTER FORTRAN <=-
DW> I wonder if that is true everywhere. I thought that you needed a
DW> license for a moped here, but not needing one would explain a few
DW> things. :)

PF> In California, you need to license the moped, but as long as it's
PF> under 50cc in displacement and doesn't go over 30 mpg, it's a bicycle
PF> according to the law.

I was wondering about state laws, in PA it has to be licensed. I
had to license my Honda 50 for use on the road and also have
insurance. No helmet needed though (but I always wore it).

Cougar

.... Surly to bed, and surly to rise.

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20

---
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: Carry Pistols

<63EC18A0.2759.dove-gun@cavebbs.homeip.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=21&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#21

From: moondog@VERT/CAVEBBS (Moondog)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 11:26:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Moondog - Tue, 14 Feb 2023 16:26 UTC

Re: Re: Carry Pistols
By: poindexter FORTRAN to Moondog on Tue Feb 14 2023 06:54 am

> -=> Moondog wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-
>
> Mo> with driving restrictions. Some bars have the same old folks every
> Mo> day, and the same stories over and over. I think that is one o the
> Mo> reasons why I don't go to the bars as much any more. I couldn't
> Mo> imagine spending so much of my life drinking that it beomes my life.
>
> I suppose it depends on how you approach it. In England, the pub is the
> social center of small towns, and people typically have dinner then go
> to the pub for a drink, and to meet friends. They're not open all that
> late, and people generally aren't drinking to excess. For older people,
> it's a great social outlet.
>
> I'd love to be able to go out and have a drink with my friends a couple
> of nights a week and spend an hour or so talking over a drink in person
> instead of chatting with them on facetwitchatbook.
>

> ... Is the tuning appropriate?

There is the social aspect, but what I'm referring to are the bar fixtures
that head to the bar after work, drink awhile, then home to dinner and go
to bed. For those folk the only social aspect is public drinking. I used to
stop by the bar and drink with co-workers, but it wasn't long before it got
boaring and life felt like it centered around work and drinking. I joined
other social clubs that weren't about sitting in a clubhouse and drinking.

---
■ Synchronet ■ The Cave BBS - Since 1992 - cavebbs.homeip.net

Carry Pistols

<638E7220.919.dove-firearms@frugalbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=894&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#894

From: limawhiskey@VERT/FRUGALBB (Limawhiskey)
To: All
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 10:35:12 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Limawhiskey - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 15:35 UTC

Those of you that carry, what do you carry or prefer? I find my G19 Gen5
is comfortable, however, somtimes I will carry a 1911 platform with 8rd mags
and one round chambered. Only issue I have is finding a good holster for the
G19. I still debate putting a light on it though.

What is your carry of choice fellow DOVE Net users?

---
■ Synchronet ■ Frugal Computing BBS - frugalbbs.com

Carry Pistols

<638E8BF9.1916.dove-firearms@warensemble.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=895&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#895

From: daitengu@VERT/ENSEMBLE (DaiTengu)
To: Limawhiskey
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 11:25:29 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: DaiTengu - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 17:25 UTC

Re: Carry Pistols
By: Limawhiskey to All on Mon Dec 05 2022 05:35 pm

Li> Those of you that carry, what do you carry or prefer? I find my G19 Gen5
Li> is comfortable, however, somtimes I will carry a 1911 platform with 8rd
Li> mags and one round chambered. Only issue I have is finding a good holster
Li> for the G19. I still debate putting a light on it though.

I have an H&K VP9. I'll be honest, it's a bit heavy to carry, but with the giant meathooks I call hands, I fumble around with anything smaller.

I had an alien holster for the VP9, but the thing fell apart on me.

It's honestly been a few years since I've actually carried, mostly because I don't go anywhere.

DaiTengu

....Today's extravagance becomes tomorrow's necessity.

---
■ Synchronet ■ War Ensemble BBS - The sport is war, total war - warensemble.com

Carry Pistols

<638E9705.8.dove-firearms@centralontarioremote.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=896&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#896

From: mickey@VERT/BADPOET (Mickey)
To: Limawhiskey
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 13:12:37 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Mickey - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 18:12 UTC

Re: Carry Pistols
By: Limawhiskey to All on Mon Dec 05 2022 05:35 pm

Li> Those of you that carry, what do you carry or prefer? I find my G19 Gen5
Li> is comfortable, however, somtimes I will carry a 1911 platform with 8rd
Li> mags and one round chambered. Only issue I have is finding a good holster
Li> for the G19. I still debate putting a light on it though.

Up here in Canada, you can get life for carrying a photo of a handgun. So much more errrr... civilized down there.

Mickey

---
■ Synchronet ■ Bad Poetry Blues - centralontarioremote.com:2300

Carry Pistols

<638F9638.827.dove-firearms@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=897&group=DOVE-Net.Firearms#897

From: arelor@VERT/PALANT (Arelor)
To: Limawhiskey
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 06:21:28 -0600
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Firearms
 by: Arelor - Tue, 6 Dec 2022 12:21 UTC

Re: Carry Pistols
By: Limawhiskey to All on Mon Dec 05 2022 05:35 pm

> Those of you that carry, what do you carry or prefer? I find my G19 G
> is comfortable, however, somtimes I will carry a 1911 platform with 8rd mags
> and one round chambered. Only issue I have is finding a good holster for th
> G19. I still debate putting a light on it though.
>
> What is your carry of choice fellow DOVE Net users?
>
> ---
> ■ Synchronet ■ Frugal Computing BBS - frugalbbs.com

If it was legal here or I were willing to break the law and admit it on a
public forum, I would go with a Llama .38 revolver. I am tired of semi-autos
because I see so many get stuck in the shooting range.

This brings the question: how is people carrying single action semis these
days? Do they holster it with a chambered round and the safety on?

BTW I think a bowie knife is also a great carry if you are big enough to pack
it. A regular person spends more time cutting and chopping things than shooting
at stuff anyway. If it was legal here or I were willing to break the law and
admit it on a public forum, I'd carry a Ka-Bar Heavy Bowie in a custom sheath
(because the one it comes with is lame).

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL