"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time." -- Steven Wright

dovenet / Hardware Software Help / Re: Which VPN?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Which VPN?HusTler
+- Re: Which VPN?Digital Man
`* Re: Which VPN?Phigan
 `* Re: Which VPN?Nightfox
  `* Re: Which VPN?Phigan
   +- Re: Which VPN?Tracker1
   +* Re: Which VPN?Nightfox
   |`* Re: Which VPN?Phigan
   | `* Re: Which VPN?Nightfox
   |  `* Re: Which VPN?MRO
   |   +- Re: Which VPN?Tracker1
   |   +- Re: Which VPN?Arelor
   |   `- Re: Which VPN?Nightfox
   `* Re: Which VPN?Gamgee
    +* Re: Which VPN?Tracker1
    |`* Re: Which VPN?Gamgee
    | +* Re: Which VPN?Khronos
    | |+- Re: Which VPN?Moondog
    | |`* Re: Which VPN?Gamgee
    | | +- Re: Which VPN?Phigan
    | | +- Re: Which VPN?Tracker1
    | | `* Re: Which VPN?Arelor
    | |  `* Re: Which VPN?Moondog
    | |   `- Re: Which VPN?MRO
    | +* Re: Which VPN?Nightfox
    | |+- Re: Which VPN?Moondog
    | |`- Re: Which VPN?Gamgee
    | +- Re: Which VPN?Tracker1
    | `- Re: Which VPN?Arelor
    `* Re: Which VPN?Nightfox
     `- Re: Which VPN?Gamgee

Pages:12
Re: Which VPN?

<64A8428C.7157.dove_dove-hlp@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=908&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#908

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: Gamgee
Subject: Re: Which VPN?
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 09:51:24 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Nightfox - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 16:51 UTC

Re: Re: Which VPN?
By: Gamgee to Phigan on Thu Jul 06 2023 04:24 pm

Ga> In my area, or at least the location of my house, that is not an option,
Ga> assuming one wants broadband/cable internet access. Yes, that's right,
Ga> there are still plenty of monopolies allowed to do business. My ISP (a
Ga> major/nationwide one) is one of them.

Yeah, it's frustrating when monopolies are allowed to continue being monopolies. Where I am, it seems there's a monopoly on cable services - There's really only one big company I can think of that offers cable services here, and it's been like that for quite a while. In the late 80s through the 90s, I remember there being maybe 3 cable companies that offered cable TV services. When broadband internet started being offered (early 2000s), that was when most of the cable companies dropped off and it got down to just one cable company.

Where I am, thankfully there are other options if you're mainly just concerned with internet service. But I know there are areas where that's not really the case.

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Re: Which VPN?

<64A8590E.2088.dove-hwswhelp@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=911&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#911

From: gamgee@VERT/PALANTIR (Gamgee)
To: Nightfox
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 13:27:00 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Gamgee - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 18:27 UTC

-=> Nightfox wrote to Gamgee <=-

Ga> In my area, or at least the location of my house, that is not an option,
Ga> assuming one wants broadband/cable internet access. Yes, that's right,
Ga> there are still plenty of monopolies allowed to do business. My ISP (a
Ga> major/nationwide one) is one of them.

Ni> Yeah, it's frustrating when monopolies are allowed to continue
Ni> being monopolies. Where I am, it seems there's a monopoly on
Ni> cable services - There's really only one big company I can think
Ni> of that offers cable services here, and it's been like that for
Ni> quite a while. In the late 80s through the 90s, I remember there
Ni> being maybe 3 cable companies that offered cable TV services.
Ni> When broadband internet started being offered (early 2000s), that
Ni> was when most of the cable companies dropped off and it got down
Ni> to just one cable company.

Yes, there are a couple other cable companies in the general area here,
but it seems like they've "divvied up" the neighborhoods and everyone is
only served by ONE of them. No possible way to get the other one to
service your house. Also no Fiber in this area. I think there might be
ATT DSL type service, but who would want that. The day that somebody
knocks on my door and asks if I want the new Fiber hooked up, is the day
I cancel with my cable company.

Ni> Where I am, thankfully there are other options if you're mainly
Ni> just concerned with internet service. But I know there are areas
Ni> where that's not really the case.

Yup, here is one of those areas. Really aggravating.

.... Gone crazy, be back later, please leave message.
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
� Synchronet � Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Re: Which VPN?

<64A9AF8C.366.dove-hwswhelp@tacopronto.bbs.io>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=914&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#914

From: phigan@VERT/TACOPRON (Phigan)
To: Nightfox
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 11:48:44 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Phigan - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 18:48 UTC

Re: Re: Which VPN?
By: Nightfox to Phigan on Thu Jul 06 2023 01:44 pm

> It's not just an ISP, but I've heard streaming services such as Netflix are
> starting to do this to prevent customers from using a VPN to access content
> that's normally not available in their country.

Well that part _is_ totally normal, because it's against the Terms Of Service to get around their geofencing.

---
■ Synchronet ■ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io

Re: Which VPN?

<64A9B7E1.7166.dove_dove-hlp@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=916&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#916

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: Phigan
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 12:24:17 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Nightfox - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 19:24 UTC

Re: Re: Which VPN?
By: Phigan to Nightfox on Sat Jul 08 2023 11:48 am

>> It's not just an ISP, but I've heard streaming services such as
>> Netflix are starting to do this to prevent customers from using a VPN
>> to access content that's normally not available in their country.

Ph> Well that part _is_ totally normal, because it's against the Terms Of
Ph> Service to get around their geofencing.

That seems to be one of the main reasons people use VPNs though. I see that mentioned fairly common as a way to watch TV shows and movies on streaming services if it's not available in a certain country.

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Re: Which VPN?

<64A9DE64.1349.dove-hlp@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=917&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#917

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Nightfox
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 17:08:36 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: MRO - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 22:08 UTC

Re: Re: Which VPN?
By: Nightfox to Phigan on Sat Jul 08 2023 12:24 pm

> That seems to be one of the main reasons people use VPNs though. I see that
> mentioned fairly common as a way to watch TV shows and movies on streaming
> services if it's not available in a certain country.

arent vpns usually much much slower, though?
i wouldnt want to stream movies on a vpn.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: Which VPN?

<64AA05CF.7170.dove_dove-hlp@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=920&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#920

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: MRO
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 17:56:47 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Nightfox - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 00:56 UTC

Re: Re: Which VPN?
By: MRO to Nightfox on Sat Jul 08 2023 05:08 pm

>> That seems to be one of the main reasons people use VPNs though. I
>> see that mentioned fairly common as a way to watch TV shows and movies
>> on streaming services if it's not available in a certain country.

MR> arent vpns usually much much slower, though?
MR> i wouldnt want to stream movies on a vpn.

They're slower, but usually the speed you get is still plenty fast enough for at least one or two streaming devices. If it's so slow that it starts buffering a lot, you're probably not using a good VPN.

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com