It is often easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. -- Grace Murray Hopper

dovenet / Hardware Software Help / Re: recommend good pwr'd

SubjectAuthor
* recommend good pwr'd usb hub?Ogg
+* recommend good pwr'd usbBrian Rogers
|`* recommend good pwr'd usbOgg
| `* recommend good pwr'd usbBrian Rogers
|  `* recommend good pwr'd usbMRO
|   `* recommend good pwr'd usbBrian Rogers
|    `* recommend good pwr'd usbMRO
|     `* recommend good pwr'd usbBrian Rogers
|      `* recommend good pwr'd usbMRO
|       `* recommend good pwr'd usbBrian Rogers
|        `* recommend good pwr'd usbOgg
|         `- recommend good pwr'd usbBrian Rogers
`* recommend good pwr'd usb hub?Rmo70
 `* recommend good pwr'd usb hub?Ogg
  `* recommend good pwr'd usbBrian Rogers
   +* recommend good pwr'd usbOgg
   |+- recommend good pwr'd usbBrian Rogers
   |`* Re: recommend good pwr'd usbpoindexter FORTRAN
   | +* Re: recommend good pwr'dBrian Rogers
   | |`* Re: recommend good pwr'dVk3jed
   | | `* Re: recommend good pwr'dBrian Rogers
   | |  `* Re: recommend good pwr'dVk3jed
   | |   `* Re: recommend good pwr'dBrian Rogers
   | |    `* Re: recommend good pwr'dVk3jed
   | |     `* Re: recommend good pwr'dBrian Rogers
   | |      `- Re: recommend good pwr'dVk3jed
   | `- recommend good pwr'd usbOgg
   `* Re: recommend good pwr'd usbpoindexter FORTRAN
    `* Re: recommend good pwr'dBrian Rogers
     `* Re: recommend good pwr'dpoindexter FORTRAN
      `- Re: recommend good pwr'dBrian Rogers

Pages:12
Re: recommend good pwr'd

<60A2784D.4689.dove.hardware@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=414&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#414

From: poindexter.fortran@VERT/REALITY (poindexter FORTRAN)
To: Brian Rogers
Subject: Re: recommend good pwr'd
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 02:55:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: poindexter FORTRAN - Sun, 16 May 2021 09:55 UTC

-=> Brian Rogers wrote to poindexter FORTRAN <=-

pF> The R is the big, heavy desktop replacement model, isn't it? Huge power
pF> brick and a desktop-class CPU? That should be even easier to work on.

BR> Not at all. The CPU is a mobile celeron, and the power is a thin brick
BR> not a huge one. The older models had the big brick power converters,
BR> even the T series.

Yeah, I think the G series were the desktop replacements - 7-8 pounds, with
a monster power supply and a desktop CPU.

.... The answers will be found in the logs.
--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
� Synchronet � realitycheckBBS -- http://realitycheckBBS.org

Re: recommend good pwr'd

<60A25EEE.106.dove-hwswhelp@bbs.n1uro.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=415&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#415

From: brian.rogers@VERT/CARNAGE (Brian Rogers)
To: Vk3jed
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 00:48:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Brian Rogers - Mon, 17 May 2021 04:48 UTC

-=> Vk3jed wrote to Brian Rogers <=-

Vk> Haha, yeah I'm actually a Masters sprinter, currently ranked 8th in the
Vk> state association for the 100 metres (M50-59), but allowing for some
Vk> pro runners who are not state members, probably around 12-15th in the
Vk> state. :) I'm also a national finalist in the 60 and 200 metres. In
Vk> short, not your average BBS sysop or ham. ;)

Congrats! I gave up running when neuropathy set in my legs - and has been
spreading into my arms/hands. Makes typing a bit of a chore compared to what
it used to be. Come to think of it, "used to be" can be injected into almost
a lot of us old-timer sentences <G>

Vk> Actually, I'm in Queensland right now, on the Gold Coast, making a
Vk> family visit at the halfway mark to my ultimate destination, which is
Vk> Cairns in far north Queensland for the Great Barrier Reef Masters
Vk> Games, which are on this coming weekend. :) I make the second half of
Vk> the trip in 2 stages tomorrow and Wednesday - train to Brisbane
Vk> tomorrow and then fly from there to Cairns the next morning. :) My
Vk> last meet of the 2021-22 season on Saturday. And the next day, I have
Vk> a 5k road race. :)

What?? You're not jogging the whole distance? :-) Good luck in your race!

Vk> ... If you try cross-country skiing, start with a small country.

I'm lucky to survive a cross hallway trot - to the bog <G>

.... "Are we clinging tenatiously to my buttocks?"- Powdered Toast Man
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
� Synchronet � SBBS - Carnage! Get your bytes revived here.

Re: recommend good pwr'd

<60A3CDCF.109.dove-hwswhelp@bbs.n1uro.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=416&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#416

From: brian.rogers@VERT/CARNAGE (Brian Rogers)
To: poindexter FORTRAN
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 02:12:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Brian Rogers - Tue, 18 May 2021 06:12 UTC

-=> poindexter FORTRAN wrote to Brian Rogers <=-

pF> Yeah, I think the G series were the desktop replacements - 7-8 pounds,
pF> with a monster power supply and a desktop CPU.

Now it's a challenge to find decent batteries that aren't shelf stock with
a decade or so worth of dust on them. I have mine on a UPS but the extra
battery time helps in the event of an extended outage.

.... MCCC Rule #3: You can only beat a deputy so much.
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
� Synchronet � SBBS - Carnage! Get your bytes revived here.

Re: recommend good pwr'd

<60A5676D.1811.dove-hwswhelp@freeway.apana.org.au>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=417&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#417

From: vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY (Vk3jed)
To: Brian Rogers
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 02:31:00 +1000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Vk3jed - Tue, 18 May 2021 16:31 UTC

-=> On 05-17-21 07:48, Brian Rogers wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Vk> state. :) I'm also a national finalist in the 60 and 200 metres. In
Vk> short, not your average BBS sysop or ham. ;)

BR> Congrats! I gave up running when neuropathy set in my legs - and has
BR> been spreading into my arms/hands. Makes typing a bit of a chore

That's a bit of a bummer. Typing is OK, handwriting is a chore, but that
always has been. I suspect the cause is undiagnosed dyspraxia(AKA DCD in some
parts of the world). My coordination isn't naturally good, it's just been
heavily worked on over many years - not formal therapy, just participating in
sport, gymnasics was especially beneficial (and I actually got into that by
accident when I was 15! :D ).

BR> compared to what it used to be. Come to think of it, "used to be" can
BR> be injected into almost a lot of us old-timer sentences <G>

I can still speak in the present tense, and as I get to know more and tweak
training, I can say I'm like a good fortified wine - I'm getting better with
age. :)

BR> What?? You're not jogging the whole distance? :-) Good luck in your
BR> race!

Haha I'm a sprinter, so taking the jet is more my style! :D Speaking of which,
we've just levelled out at cruising altitude. :) Of course, you'll get this
NASA style, after the fact, because I have to upload after I land. :)

Vk> ... If you try cross-country skiing, start with a small country.

BR> I'm lucky to survive a cross hallway trot - to the bog <G>

Haha :D

BR> ... "Are we clinging tenatiously to my buttocks?"- Powdered Toast Man

Hmm, not touching that one. ;)

.... If at first you don't succeed - so much for skydiving.
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
■ Synchronet ■ Freeway BBS, Bendigo Australia. freeway.apana.org.au

Re: recommend good pwr'd

<60A58022.111.dove-hwswhelp@bbs.n1uro.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=418&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#418

From: brian.rogers@VERT/CARNAGE (Brian Rogers)
To: Vk3jed
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 10:09:00 -0400
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Brian Rogers - Wed, 19 May 2021 14:09 UTC

Hello Tony;

-=> Vk3jed wrote to Brian Rogers <=-

Vk> That's a bit of a bummer. Typing is OK, handwriting is a chore, but
Vk> that always has been. I suspect the cause is undiagnosed dyspraxia(AKA
Vk> DCD in some parts of the world). My coordination isn't naturally good,
Vk> it's just been heavily worked on over many years - not formal therapy,
Vk> just participating in sport, gymnasics was especially beneficial (and I
Vk> actually got into that by accident when I was 15! :D ).

As long as you don't trip over your own two feet, it's all good right? :)

Vk> I can still speak in the present tense, and as I get to know more and
Vk> tweak training, I can say I'm like a good fortified wine - I'm getting
Vk> better with age. :)

I peaked at 50 I'd say. And I'm also ticked off at those who call your senior
years "golden"! My eyesite is still 20/20... it's RUST not GOLDEN!! You can
fool some of the people some of the time... <G>

Vk> Haha I'm a sprinter, so taking the jet is more my style! :D Speaking
Vk> of which, we've just levelled out at cruising altitude. :) Of course,
Vk> you'll get this NASA style, after the fact, because I have to upload
Vk> after I land. :)

I haven't flown since prior to 9/11. No real interest either. Folks tell me
horror stories about airports here now. No need for me to find out first hand.

Vk> ... If at first you don't succeed - so much for skydiving.

Ha! Like the suicide bomber who practiced first <G>

.... I laughed, I cried, it became a part of me.
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
� Synchronet � SBBS - Carnage! Get your bytes revived here.

Re: recommend good pwr'd

<60A62550.1813.dove-hwswhelp@freeway.apana.org.au>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=419&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#419

From: vk3jed@VERT/FREEWAY (Vk3jed)
To: Brian Rogers
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 08:27:00 +1000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Vk3jed - Wed, 19 May 2021 22:27 UTC

-=> On 05-19-21 17:09, Brian Rogers wrote to Vk3jed <=-

Vk> actually got into that by accident when I was 15! :D ).

BR> As long as you don't trip over your own two feet, it's all good right?
BR> :)

Haha yeah. :)

Vk> I can still speak in the present tense, and as I get to know more and
Vk> tweak training, I can say I'm like a good fortified wine - I'm getting
Vk> better with age. :)

BR> I peaked at 50 I'd say. And I'm also ticked off at those who call your
BR> senior years "golden"! My eyesite is still 20/20... it's RUST not
BR> GOLDEN!! You can fool some of the people some of the time... <G>

Yeah I'm still doing fine at 53. Saturday will be the big test, with a big
headwind, which should favour me slightly, I have decent power under load. :)

BR> I haven't flown since prior to 9/11. No real interest either. Folks
BR> tell me horror stories about airports here now. No need for me to find
BR> out first hand.

I still like flying. Airports here aren't too bad.

Vk> ... If at first you don't succeed - so much for skydiving.

BR> Ha! Like the suicide bomber who practiced first <G>

Indeed. ;)

.... There are always alternatives. Spock, The Galileo Seven, stardate 2822.3.