You have junk mail.

dovenet / Hardware Software Help / Which VPN?

SubjectAuthor
* Which VPN?HusTler
+* Re: Which VPN?Shanen
|`- Re: Which VPN?MRO
+- Which VPN?Xanth
+* Which VPN?Phigan
|`* Which VPN?Hustler
| +- Which VPN?MRO
| `* Which VPN?Phigan
|  +* Which VPN?Nightfox
|  |+- Which VPN?MRO
|  |`* Which VPN?Phigan
|  | +- Which VPN?MRO
|  | `* Which VPN?Moondog
|  |  `* Which VPN?Phigan
|  |   +* Which VPN?Arelor
|  |   |+* Which VPN?MRO
|  |   ||+* Which VPN?Nightfox
|  |   |||`- Which VPN?MRO
|  |   ||`- Which VPN?Arelor
|  |   |+* Which VPN?Nightfox
|  |   ||`* Which VPN?Arelor
|  |   || `* Which VPN?Nightfox
|  |   ||  `- Which VPN?Arelor
|  |   |+- Which VPN?Phigan
|  |   |`* Which VPN?Tracker1
|  |   | `* Which VPN?Arelor
|  |   |  `* Which VPN?MRO
|  |   |   `- Which VPN?Arelor
|  |   +- Which VPN?MRO
|  |   `* Which VPN?Nightfox
|  |    `* Which VPN?Phigan
|  |     +- Which VPN?Tracker1
|  |     `* Which VPN?Nightfox
|  |      `- Which VPN?MRO
|  `* Which VPN?Tracker1
|   `* Which VPN?Phigan
|    +* Which VPN?Arelor
|    |`- Which VPN?Phigan
|    +- Which VPN?MRO
|    `* Which VPN?Tracker1
|     `- Which VPN?MRO
`- Re: Which VPN?anthk

Pages:12
Which VPN?

<64AAC0C8.1896.dove-hwswhelp@roughneckbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=2&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#2

From: tracker1@VERT/TRN (Tracker1)
To: Phigan
Subject: Which VPN?
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 14:14:32 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Tracker1 - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 14:14 UTC

Re: Which VPN?
By: Phigan to Nightfox on Thu Jul 06 2023 12:42:28

>> I know I'm not the person you were replying to, but yes, I've gotten
>> an email from my ISP for something they saw being transferred over
>> BitTorrent, and it said people could take legal action.

Ph> Very interesting. Do they threaten to discontinue service or is it just a
Ph> "hey, just so you know..." type of thing? And, is that ISP your only
Ph> option for internet service where you are?

Responses will vary... Some will redirect your DNS to get you to a website to notify you, others may interrupt service in other ways. Some will forward the email/notification with a very stern warning. Some cable companies will permanently disconnect service if you see 3 notifications in a given timeframe.

A seedbox is the best option, ideally in a country that doesn't legally recognize US copyright like Amsterdam. Although it's not necessarily the cheapest option. They just throw the notifications away, not forward/redirect them to you.

--
Michael J. Ryan
+o roughneckbbs.com

---
■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com

Which VPN?

<64AB28D0.1358.dove-hlp@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=9&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#9

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Tracker1
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 16:38:24 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: MRO - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 21:38 UTC

Re: Which VPN?
By: Tracker1 to Phigan on Sun Jul 09 2023 02:01 pm

> That's cool... since I have a seedbox anyway, I'd still just use that and
> then sftp the file to my local. That said, I do tend to just VPN to home
> over wireguard, though may switch to tailscale for convenience... I do this
> more for my pihole on my phone than for things like torrents though. Since
> that tends to be over https/sftp for me.

i'm pretty sure phigan is not a member of any decent private torrent sites, or he just hasn't been caught yet. I was staff on a big one and a medium sized one and we would ban people like this.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Which VPN?

<64B03650.2140.dove-hwswhelp@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=37&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#37

From: arelor@VERT/PALANTIR (Arelor)
To: Phigan
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 12:37:20 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Arelor - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 17:37 UTC

Re: Which VPN?
By: Phigan to Moondog on Wed Jul 05 2023 01:34 pm

> Re: Which VPN?
> By: Moondog to Phigan on Tue Jul 04 2023 10:36 am
>
> > They want your money, however they want manage their own network without
> > government intervention. In order to keep autonomy, they must demonstrat > > to regulatory agencies they are self policing.
>
> Sure, I get all that, but I still haven't seen it happen. Plus, there is ple > getting a notification from a lawyer first?
>
> ---
> ■ Synchronet ■ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io
From a network administration perspective, bittorrent is evil incarnate. A
bittorrent client generates multiple connections which take a lot of bandwidth.That is a higher strain for networking equipment than just downloading a file
from a website. I have seen bittorent clients bring down LAN segments because
they overloaded the QoS queues of their upstream router.

ISP hate torrent because ISP oversell more bandwidth than they have and a smallammount of torrenters places a lot of stress on them.

And they don t care if you are sued or whatever because most likely you are
going to have to hire an ISP anyway.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Which VPN?

<64B0368A.2141.dove-hwswhelp@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=38&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#38

From: arelor@VERT/PALANTIR (Arelor)
To: Phigan
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 12:38:18 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Arelor - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 17:38 UTC

Re: Which VPN?
By: Phigan to Tracker1 on Wed Jul 05 2023 02:01 pm

> Personally, I recommend against using torrents at all. All the stuff is on u
Torrent over I2P works fine.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Which VPN?

<64B075E9.1374.dove-hlp@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=45&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#45

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Arelor
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 17:08:41 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: MRO - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 22:08 UTC

Re: Which VPN?
By: Arelor to Phigan on Thu Jul 13 2023 12:37 pm

> From a network administration perspective, bittorrent is evil incarnate. A
> bittorrent client generates multiple connections which take a lot of
> bandwidth.That is a higher strain for networking equipment than just
> downloading a file
> from a website. I have seen bittorent clients bring down LAN segments
> because they overloaded the QoS queues of their upstream router.

well your network administrator needs to go take some classes.
that should not happen. and the default settings of torrent clients wont really bring anything to its knees.

> ISP hate torrent because ISP oversell more bandwidth than they have and a
> smallammount of torrenters places a lot of stress on them.

everyone streams nowadays. i'm sure if they have concerns they are more worried about that.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Which VPN?

<64B08EEE.7222.dove_dove-hlp@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=46&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#46

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: Arelor
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 16:55:26 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Nightfox - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 23:55 UTC

Re: Which VPN?
By: Arelor to Phigan on Thu Jul 13 2023 12:37 pm

Ar> From a network administration perspective, bittorrent is evil incarnate. A
Ar> bittorrent client generates multiple connections which take a lot of
Ar> bandwidth.That is a higher strain for networking equipment than just
Ar> downloading a file
Ar> from a website. I have seen bittorent clients bring down LAN segments
Ar> because they overloaded the QoS queues of their upstream router.

Isn't part of the point of BitTorrent to help you get the most speed by connecting to many different people offering the same file?

Ar> ISP hate torrent because ISP oversell more bandwidth than they have and a
Ar> smallammount of torrenters places a lot of stress on them.

I haven't heard this, but I'd think that rather than ISPs complaining about it, they could make their network better.

Ar> And they don t care if you are sued or whatever because most likely you
Ar> are going to have to hire an ISP anyway.

What do you mean by "hire" here?

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Which VPN?

<64B08F6E.7223.dove_dove-hlp@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=47&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#47

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: MRO
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 16:57:34 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Nightfox - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 23:57 UTC

Re: Which VPN?
By: MRO to Arelor on Thu Jul 13 2023 05:08 pm

>> ISP hate torrent because ISP oversell more bandwidth than they have
>> and a smallammount of torrenters places a lot of stress on them.

MR> everyone streams nowadays. i'm sure if they have concerns they are more
MR> worried about that.

How is that realted to BitTorrent use? Sure, people sometimes download movies & TV shows via BitTorrent, but that isn't BitTorrent's only use. A lot of Linux distros are offered for download via BitTorrent.

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Which VPN?

<64B136E3.1379.dove-hlp@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=51&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#51

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Nightfox
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 06:52:03 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: MRO - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 11:52 UTC

Re: Which VPN?
By: Nightfox to MRO on Thu Jul 13 2023 04:57 pm

because HE said:

> >> ISP hate torrent because ISP oversell more bandwidth than they have
> >> and a smallammount of torrenters places a lot of stress on them.

and i said what i did because streams take up a lot of bandwidth.

>but that isn't BitTorrent's only use. A
> lot of Linux distros are offered for download via BitTorrent.

when most people think of torrenting, they think of pirating.
that's why years ago you could not run a legit torrent site with most reliable dedicated hosting providers.

torrents are a great way to save bandwidth for file distribution and game updating. unfortunately a lot of people don't forward their ports, or are unconnectable for othe reasons.
there's a lot of dumb people out there. when i ran bbstorrents i had people download all the files 5-6 times. I have no idea why. it's like they didn't know where the files went.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Re: Which VPN?

<64B15251.17931.dove-hlp@vert.synchro.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=52&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#52

From: shanen@VERT (Shanen)
To: HusTler
Subject: Re: Which VPN?
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 22:27:00 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Shanen - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 05:27 UTC

-=> HusTler wrote to All <=-

Hu> @VIA: PLANETCA
Hu> @MSGID: <64A174DD.17823.dove-hlp@vert.synchro.net>
Hu> Hi all. Which VPN service do you use?

I use ProtonVPN. You can test their free access, their client is free
software, their customer service is knowledgeable (about GNU/Linux at least)
and the price I got was interesting (during a special pricing period). They
are based in Switzerland, so you can P2P all you want, it's legal.
The downside?
Your Internet throughput is going to be lower than what you get without
ProtonVPN. Apart from that, I heard very good things about Mullvad.

I use a VPN because where I live, everyhthing is logged and kept forever
in an "extralegal" manner, which I really don't like.

When it comes to downloading, I use IRC (just take a look at Wikipedia's
XDCC article). Low retention, but you can request stuff and usually get awesome
download speeds. Remember: copying is not stealing :)

.... MultiMail, the new multi-platform, multi-format offline reader!
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
� Synchronet � Vertrauen � Home of Synchronet � [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net

Re: Which VPN?

<64B17017.1382.dove-hlp@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=54&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#54

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Shanen
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 10:56:07 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: MRO - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 15:56 UTC

Re: Re: Which VPN?
By: Shanen to HusTler on Wed Jul 12 2023 10:27 pm

> When it comes to downloading, I use IRC (just take a look at Wikipedia's
> XDCC article). Low retention, but you can request stuff and usually get
> awesome download speeds. Remember: copying is not stealing :)

yeah it is.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Which VPN?

<64B172C2.420.dove-hwswhelp@tacopronto.bbs.io>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=55&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#55

From: phigan@VERT/TACOPRON (Phigan)
To: Arelor
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 09:07:30 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Phigan - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 16:07 UTC

Re: Which VPN?
By: Arelor to Phigan on Thu Jul 13 2023 12:37 pm

> From a network administration perspective, bittorrent is evil incarnate. A
> bittorrent client generates multiple connections which take a lot of
> bandwidth.That is a higher strain for networking equipment than just

It's actually the broadcast traffic that makes the big difference. Regular
routed TCP traffic is fine, that is what the neworking equipment was made to
handle, but torrents attempt to be decentralized so make a lot of broadcast
noise to find other torrent clients nearby. I suppose if you had enough of them
on one "local" network it might generate enough to crash crappy equipment :).

In the US and A, most of the bigger ISPs seem to go the "we'll take care of it"
approach to the DMCA requests, which is preferable to the alternative.

---
■ Synchronet ■ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io

Which VPN?

<64B1737D.421.dove-hwswhelp@tacopronto.bbs.io>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=56&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#56

From: phigan@VERT/TACOPRON (Phigan)
To: Arelor
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 09:10:37 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Phigan - Fri, 14 Jul 2023 16:10 UTC

Re: Which VPN?
By: Arelor to Phigan on Thu Jul 13 2023 12:38 pm

> > Personally, I recommend against using torrents at all. All the stuff is o
> Torrent over I2P works fine.

"See, Marge, I told you I could deepfry my shirt."

"I didn't say you couldn't, I said you SHOULDN'T."

---
■ Synchronet ■ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io

Which VPN?

<64B1F9E5.2164.dove-hwswhelp@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=58&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#58

From: arelor@VERT/PALANTIR (Arelor)
To: MRO
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 20:44:05 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Arelor - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 01:44 UTC

Re: Which VPN?
By: MRO to Arelor on Thu Jul 13 2023 05:08 pm

> well your network administrator needs to go take some classes.
> that should not happen. and the default settings of torrent clients wont re >

Yes, it should not happen, but back then the client computer was rejecting ICMPsource quench pakets and was making way more connections than default. The
router had a weak CPU even back in the day and I think the traffic control
system for QoS was using an stochastick Queue somewhere in the Queue tree.
Those Queues respond very, very badly to surges of traffic that generate
multiple connections at once because they try to provide networking resources
equaly to every individual connection.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Which VPN?

<64B1FBA0.2165.dove-hwswhelp@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=59&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#59

From: arelor@VERT/PALANTIR (Arelor)
To: Nightfox
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2023 20:51:28 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Arelor - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 01:51 UTC

Re: Which VPN?
By: Nightfox to Arelor on Thu Jul 13 2023 04:55 pm

> Isn't part of the point of BitTorrent to help you get the most speed by conn >
> Ar> ISP hate torrent because ISP oversell more bandwidth than they have and > Ar> smallammount of torrenters places a lot of stress on them.
>
> I haven't heard this, but I'd think that rather than ISPs complaining about >
> Ar> And they don t care if you are sued or whatever because most likely you > Ar> are going to have to hire an ISP anyway.
>
> What do you mean by "hire" here?

Precisely, BitTorrent is about maximizing your capability of getting files, notabout being nice to the network infrastructure.

Infrastructure overselling is ubicuous in lots of fields. For example, water
supplies in a condo are not prepared to satisty the sum of the nominal target
preasures of every tap in the building. If you open all the taps in a condo at
once you will find you don't get much water out of each. The reason is that
whoever designs the water distribution system oversells water supply capacity
and assumes only a percentage of users will open their taps at a given moment
of the day.

This also applies to power distribution.

And yes, if you misscalculate and oversell so much that your system crumbles
under the load, it is your fault for doing a bad estimation and you should fix
it. Still, a user leaving all his taps open to the max all day would be
nevertheless a bad neighbor.

Hiring an ISP here would mean getting an Internet Subscription.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Which VPN?

<64B30494.7240.dove_dove-hlp@digitaldistortionbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=64&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#64

From: nightfox@VERT/DIGDIST (Nightfox)
To: Arelor
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 13:41:56 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Nightfox - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 20:41 UTC

Re: Which VPN?
By: Arelor to Nightfox on Fri Jul 14 2023 08:51 pm

> Ar>> likely you are going to have to hire an ISP anyway.

>> What do you mean by "hire" here?

Ar> Hiring an ISP here would mean getting an Internet Subscription.

Ah. Generally I don't hear people say they "hire" an ISP.

Nightfox

---
■ Synchronet ■ Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Which VPN?

<64B31E5A.2171.dove-hwswhelp@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=65&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#65

From: arelor@VERT/PALANTIR (Arelor)
To: Nightfox
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 17:31:54 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Arelor - Sat, 15 Jul 2023 22:31 UTC

Re: Which VPN?
By: Nightfox to Arelor on Sat Jul 15 2023 01:41 pm

> Ah. Generally I don't hear people say they "hire" an ISP.

In Spain you "hire" an ISP. What you don't do is get an "ADSL Subscription"
from an ISP. XD

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Which VPN?

<64B33569.1962.dove-hwswhelp@roughneckbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=66&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#66

From: tracker1@VERT/TRN (Tracker1)
To: Arelor
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 00:10:17 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Tracker1 - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 00:10 UTC

Re: Which VPN?
By: Arelor to Phigan on Thu Jul 13 2023 12:37:20

Ar> From a network administration perspective, bittorrent is evil incarnate. A
Ar> bittorrent client generates multiple connections which take a lot of
Ar> bandwidth.That is a higher strain for networking equipment than just
Ar> downloading a file

More than the bulk of people using Netflix or YouTube? I mean, yeah it's async service at the user level, but the connections at the ISP are generally duplex connections. My understanding is that streaming video is the *VAST* majority of network traffic. Torrents are a bit more bursty, but that can be throttled via QOS. Not to mention that torrents are often better compressed content than streaming video, for compatibility with legacy streaming devices.

--
Michael J. Ryan
+o roughneckbbs.com

---
■ Synchronet ■ Roughneck BBS - roughneckbbs.com

Which VPN?

<64B3B961.2173.dove-hwswhelp@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=67&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#67

From: arelor@VERT/PALANTIR (Arelor)
To: Tracker1
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 04:33:21 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Arelor - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 09:33 UTC

Re: Which VPN?
By: Tracker1 to Arelor on Sun Jul 16 2023 12:10 am

> More than the bulk of people using Netflix or YouTube? I mean, yeah it's as > . Torrents are a bit more bursty, but that can be throttled via QOS. Not t >

When you stream a video from a server, you make a limited and contained number
of connections to that server.

A Bittorrent client tends to generate a connection to every peer it can find,
and generates periodic broadcast traffic. Those are lots of intermitent
connections that come and go. A stream from Netflix that uses all of your
bandwidth uses less new connections than a torrent download that uses all your
bandwidth. Every connection has to go into the packet filter before the routinggear can place it on fastrack (if using paket filters) and then certain QoS
disciplines tend to starve when required to work with multiple simultaneous
connections.

My home uplink is quite limited and the difference shows. Youtubing max speed
generates less impact on the rest of the LAN users than torrenting. None of
them maks the network unusable for the other users, but you do notice when
somebody is trying to torrent anything.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Which VPN?

<64B3D77C.1392.dove-hlp@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=68&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#68

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Arelor
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 06:41:48 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: MRO - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 11:41 UTC

Re: Which VPN?
By: Arelor to Tracker1 on Sun Jul 16 2023 04:33 am

> A Bittorrent client tends to generate a connection to every peer it can
> find, and generates periodic broadcast traffic. Those are lots of
> intermitent connections that come and go. A stream from Netflix that uses

there are set limits to this in every client to optomize the download and seeding.
it does not max out a computer or networks abilities.

> My home uplink is quite limited and the difference shows. Youtubing max
> speed generates less impact on the rest of the LAN users than torrenting.
> None of them maks the network unusable for the other users, but you do
> notice when somebody is trying to torrent anything.

that's probably because of the outgoing connections. and your connection
and network probably sucks.
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::

Which VPN?

<64B482A6.2175.dove-hwswhelp@palantirbbs.ddns.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=69&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#69

From: arelor@VERT/PALANTIR (Arelor)
To: MRO
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 18:52:06 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Arelor - Sun, 16 Jul 2023 23:52 UTC

Re: Which VPN?
By: MRO to Arelor on Sun Jul 16 2023 06:41 am

> that's probably because of the outgoing connections. and your connection
> and network probably sucks.

Yes, my home connection sucks. This is public knowledge.

Some people changes their torrent client settings to non-nice mode, which is
where problems lay.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

---
■ Synchronet ■ Palantir BBS * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL

Which VPN?

<6552F890.2038.dove-hwswhelp@deckersheaven.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=181&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#181

From: xanth@VERT/DECKHVN2 (Xanth)
To: HusTler
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 23:33:20 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Xanth - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 04:33 UTC

You need to decide on your own. Read this top to bottom then compare to what
you've learned recently then pay anonymously.
https://torrentfreak.com/best-vpn-anonymous-no-logging/
-Xanth

---
■ Synchronet ■ Decker's Heaven -//- bbs.deckersheaven.com

Which VPN?

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=871&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#871

From: hustler@VERT/PLANETCA (HusTler)
To: All
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 07:24:00 +0000
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: HusTler - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 07:24 UTC

Hi all. Which VPN service do you use?

Which VPN?

<64A19815.323.dove-hwswhelp@tacopronto.bbs.io>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=872&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#872

From: phigan@VERT/TACOPRON (Phigan)
To: HusTler
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 08:30:29 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Phigan - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 15:30 UTC

Re: Which VPN?
By: HusTler to All on Sun Jul 02 2023 07:24 am

> Hi all. Which VPN service do you use?

What's your use case?

---
■ Synchronet ■ TIRED of waiting 2 hours for a taco? GO TO TACOPRONTO.bbs.io

Which VPN?

<64A1D997.5046.dove.hardware@realitycheckbbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=873&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#873

From: hustler@VERT/REALITY (Hustler)
To: Phigan
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 13:09:59 -0700
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: Hustler - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 20:09 UTC

Re: Which VPN?
By: Phigan to HusTler on Sun Jul 02 2023 08:30 am

> > Hi all. Which VPN service do you use?

> What's your use case?

I know nothing about VPN other then there are a ton of them to choose from. How do I know who is good and who is bad? I thought I'd ask the BBS world about it and maybe get some ideas. Seems to me it's hit or miss. Seems like pay now and let's see how it goes.

|12HusTler

....Have you ever asked a question you weren't supposed to ask?
---
■ Synchronet ■ .: realitycheckbbs.org :: scientia potentia est :.

Which VPN?

<64A1EE91.1319.dove-hlp@bbses.info>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/dovenet/article-flat.php?id=874&group=DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help#874

From: mro@VERT/BBSESINF (MRO)
To: Hustler
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 16:39:29 -0500
Newsgroups: DOVE-Net.Hardware_Software_Help
 by: MRO - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 21:39 UTC

Re: Which VPN?
By: Hustler to Phigan on Sun Jul 02 2023 01:09 pm

> Re: Which VPN?
> By: Phigan to HusTler on Sun Jul 02 2023 08:30 am
>
> > > Hi all. Which VPN service do you use?
>
> > What's your use case?
>
> I know nothing about VPN other then there are a ton of them to choose from.
> How do I know who is good and who is bad? I thought I'd ask the BBS world
> about it and maybe get some ideas. Seems to me it's hit or miss. Seems like
> pay now and let's see how it goes.

just use the free opera vpn for your web. then you can pay for full vpn if you like it
---
■ Synchronet ■ ::: BBSES.info - free BBS services :::