try again

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

SubjectAuthor
* Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)vallor
+- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)RabidPedagog
+* Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)DFS
|`* Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)candycanearter07
| +- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)Joel
| +- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)RabidPedagog
| `* Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)DFS
|  +* Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)candycanearter07
|  |`* Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)Joel
|  | +- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)candycanearter07
|  | `* Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)DFS
|  |  +* Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)Physfitfreak
|  |  |`- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)DFS
|  |  +* Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)Joel
|  |  |`* Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)DFS
|  |  | `- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)Joel
|  |  +* Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)Stéphane CARPENTIER
|  |  |+- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)Joel
|  |  |`- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)DFS
|  |  `- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)candycanearter07
|  `* Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)RabidPedagog
|   +- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)Joel
|   `- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)%
+* Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)Joel
|`- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)Joel
`- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)Stéphane CARPENTIER

Pages:12
Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<bdtksihnmpkhtjd2ao916cgikkucvppq1f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9869&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9869

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 14:53:16 -0500
 by: Joel - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 19:53 UTC

Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote:
>vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:
>
>>So we're back to people[*] criticizing the _real_ "windows
>>subsystem for Linux" -- WINE
>
>Wine runs Windows apps as if they're Linux apps. That's why I use it,
>it's not a gimmick or bloated, it's brilliant and shows the value of
>Linux as a desktop OS.
>
>> -- based on its performance from
>>10(?) years ago.
>
>I used CrossOver on a Mac in 2010, standard Wine today is far more
>complete.
>
>>Today, WINE runs a lot, and does it very well -- and for
>>bleeding-edge performance, there's proton.
>
>I generally use native Unix-like apps, but Wine being a component of
>the system is greatly useful.

https://i.imgur.com/4nYGfqv.png

This example isn't what I mostly rely on Wine for. mIRC and this very
app, Forte Agent, are what I use Wine primarily to support under
Linux, but you see in this screenshot that a native X app, Audacious,
is what I'm using to listen to the song, not using Wine for Winamp,
but only for something without a native replacement. While it's true
that GUI IRC and NNTP clients exist for Unix-like, I consider them
inferior to running mIRC and Agent under Wine.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)