Swap read error. You lose your mind.

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

SubjectAuthor
* Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)vallor
+- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)RabidPedagog
+* Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)DFS
|`* Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)candycanearter07
| +- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)Joel
| +- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)RabidPedagog
| `* Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)DFS
|  +* Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)candycanearter07
|  |`* Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)Joel
|  | +- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)candycanearter07
|  | `* Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)DFS
|  |  +* Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)Physfitfreak
|  |  |`- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)DFS
|  |  +* Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)Joel
|  |  |`* Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)DFS
|  |  | `- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)Joel
|  |  +* Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)Stéphane CARPENTIER
|  |  |+- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)Joel
|  |  |`- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)DFS
|  |  `- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)candycanearter07
|  `* Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)RabidPedagog
|   +- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)Joel
|   `- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)%
+* Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)Joel
|`- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)Joel
`- Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)Stéphane CARPENTIER

Pages:12
Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<upt1an$r9cq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9244&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9244

From: vallor@cultnix.org (vallor)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 10:23:19 -0000 (UTC)
XL'`91kd%N::LG:=*\35JS0prp\VJN^<s"b#bff@fA7]5lJA.jn,x_d%Md$,{.EZ
 by: vallor - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 10:23 UTC

So we're back to people[*] criticizing the _real_ "windows
subsystem for Linux" -- WINE -- based on its performance from
10(?) years ago.

Today, WINE runs a lot, and does it very well -- and for
bleeding-edge performance, there's proton.

If Linux can run Starfield, Elite Dangerous Odyssey, or other
such games on proton, why wouldn't it run (say) Word or Excel
with the same middleware?

Remember, running such high-performance software on proton _can_
be just as fast -- if not faster -- than on Windows. Why? It
maps DirectX calls Vulkan calls with DXVK, which goes _scat_.

So, whither Word or Excel?

I have no need for them, but others might. What would happen if
either ended up in the Steam store, for example? (MSFT wouldn't
dare, of course.)

But there's no need for that, because there's microsoft365.com now.

* * *

This matter of criticizing old Linux is very much like claiming
Linux hasn't grown. But, 'struth: Linux is everywhere now,
except perhaps the desktop...and even there, the "new" "Windows
subsystem for Linux" is Linux running _within_ Windows, which is
a very popular desktop. (Or so we're told -- over and over
again: Indeed, it is the Budweiser of operating systems.)

So get your fainting couches ready, Windows weenies, because
Microsoft is also using Linux -- and not NT -- for their
datacenter infrastructures. Azure switches and servers run their
own Linux distribution.

So, yes, Virginia, there is a "Microsoft Linux" -- and if your
shop uses a Windows VDI on Azure, guess what is hypervising your
Windows, hmm?

(When running Windows on my desktop, I would add Cygwin. I don't
run Windows now, but if I need to in the future, it's nice to
know such things exist to make it a friendlier system...more on
that later.)

[*] DFS and someone else, if I'm not mistaken

--
-v

Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<d7qwN.114270$46Te.37551@fx38.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9246&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9246

Subject: Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 08:04:09 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 13:04 UTC

On 2024-02-06 5:23 a.m., vallor wrote:
> So we're back to people[*] criticizing the _real_ "windows
> subsystem for Linux" -- WINE -- based on its performance from
> 10(?) years ago.
>
> Today, WINE runs a lot, and does it very well -- and for
> bleeding-edge performance, there's proton.

I would say that through Lutris, Wine actually does as good a job or
even better than Proton does. I find it to be a lot less of a "hit or
miss" situation than Proton.

> If Linux can run Starfield, Elite Dangerous Odyssey, or other
> such games on proton, why wouldn't it run (say) Word or Excel
> with the same middleware?

It probably won't work because those programs require activation and
actively seek out libraries which require some sort of Microsoft stamp.
If they had neither, they would work without any issue. Since the
product keys are also tied to your Microsoft account nowadays, I would
imagine that the software constantly seeks functions specific to Windows
10 and 11 to operate normally. Microsoft clearly has no interest in
allowing their bread and butter to work properly in Linux.

Edge is available to Linux users, but that is only because their browser
is no better than Chrome and Brave and has little market share. If the
product were superior to everything else and people wanted it and no
substitute, Microsoft would make sure not to make it available to Linux
so as to force users to use Windows.

> Remember, running such high-performance software on proton _can_
> be just as fast -- if not faster -- than on Windows. Why? It
> maps DirectX calls Vulkan calls with DXVK, which goes _scat_.

It only seems to be as fast or faster if people use AMD GPUs since these
have free drivers that can easily be made to work right with the rest of
the operating system. With NVIDIA, there doesn't seem to be ad
advantage. If anything, you'll lose a few frames per second especially
if you go over 1080p.

> So, whither Word or Excel?
>
> I have no need for them, but others might. What would happen if
> either ended up in the Steam store, for example? (MSFT wouldn't
> dare, of course.)
>
> But there's no need for that, because there's microsoft365.com now.

For compatibility, absolutely. However, the suite you find online is
bare compared to the desktop software.

> * * *
>
> This matter of criticizing old Linux is very much like claiming
> Linux hasn't grown. But, 'struth: Linux is everywhere now,
> except perhaps the desktop...and even there, the "new" "Windows
> subsystem for Linux" is Linux running _within_ Windows, which is
> a very popular desktop. (Or so we're told -- over and over
> again: Indeed, it is the Budweiser of operating systems.)
>
> So get your fainting couches ready, Windows weenies, because
> Microsoft is also using Linux -- and not NT -- for their
> datacenter infrastructures. Azure switches and servers run their
> own Linux distribution.
>
> So, yes, Virginia, there is a "Microsoft Linux" -- and if your
> shop uses a Windows VDI on Azure, guess what is hypervising your
> Windows, hmm?
>
> (When running Windows on my desktop, I would add Cygwin. I don't
> run Windows now, but if I need to in the future, it's nice to
> know such things exist to make it a friendlier system...more on
> that later.)
>
> [*] DFS and someone else, if I'm not mistaken

It's mostly DFS. Everyone else seems to have moved over to Linux for a
variety of reasons. Flaming homosexual Joel did so because he's a poor
cocksucker and hold onto his hardware for much longer with Linux whereas
I moved over because I was disgusted by Windows' update system, the OS'
insistence on self-destruction and found out that the corporation
supports child mutilation and committing crimes against White people. I
simply can't bring myself to support pedophiles in any shape or manner.

--
RabidPedagog
Catholic paleoconservative

Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<9grwN.44028$9cLc.19866@fx02.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9249&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9249

From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 09:21:59 -0500
 by: DFS - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 14:21 UTC

On 2/6/2024 5:23 AM, vallor wrote:

> So we're back to people[*] criticizing the _real_ "windows
> subsystem for Linux" -- WINE -- based on its performance from
> 10(?) years ago.
>
> Today, WINE runs a lot, and does it very well

For tiny, tiny values of "a lot" and "very well".

https://appdb.winehq.org Browse Apps

The fact that they have 5 rating tiers is a big red flag. What's the
point if it doesn't run all features about as well as on Windows?

And their search feature is all fucked up.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?bIsQueue=false&bIsRejected=false&sClass=application&sTitle=Browse+Applications&iItemsPerPage=25&iPage=1&sOrderBy=appName&bAscending=true

It returns no hits for keywords contains Microsoft Office, but it
returns 40 hits for keywords contains Office, and one of those 40 is,
you guessed it, Microsoft Office.

The last version of Excel they have an entry for is 2016 (32-bit), and
the testing done is extremely, extremely basic.

> -- and for
> bleeding-edge performance, there's proton.
>
> If Linux can run Starfield, Elite Dangerous Odyssey, or other
> such games on proton, why wouldn't it run (say) Word or Excel
> with the same middleware?

Last time I wasted my life with Wine (Oct 2020) it was a fiasco, and I
won't do it again for a long time.

<fQWjH.350439$%p.217548@fx33.iad>

It did run Excel 2003 and Notepad++, but completely failed to run Access
and Outlook 2003.

> This matter of criticizing old Linux is very much like claiming
> Linux hasn't grown.

Criticizing Wine isn't a critique of Linux.

If nothing else, Wine gets credit for 30 years of devotion, but users
are far better off dual-booting.

> [*] DFS and someone else, if I'm not mistaken

It looks like Wine (Proton) runs games better than anything else, but I
won't waste my time trying it again for a few more years.

Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<8li4silq9c499d52ihpiklq5sud9j3um28@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9250&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9250

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 10:12:07 -0500
 by: Joel - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 15:12 UTC

vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote:

>So we're back to people[*] criticizing the _real_ "windows
>subsystem for Linux" -- WINE

Wine runs Windows apps as if they're Linux apps. That's why I use it,
it's not a gimmick or bloated, it's brilliant and shows the value of
Linux as a desktop OS.

> -- based on its performance from
>10(?) years ago.

I used CrossOver on a Mac in 2010, standard Wine today is far more
complete.

>Today, WINE runs a lot, and does it very well -- and for
>bleeding-edge performance, there's proton.

I generally use native Unix-like apps, but Wine being a component of
the system is greatly useful.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<uptot0$vhv4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9256&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9256

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 11:05:36 -0600
 by: candycanearter07 - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 17:05 UTC

On 2/6/24 08:21, DFS wrote:
> On 2/6/2024 5:23 AM, vallor wrote:
>
>> So we're back to people[*] criticizing the _real_ "windows
>> subsystem for Linux" -- WINE -- based on its performance from
>> 10(?) years ago.
>>
>> Today, WINE runs a lot, and does it very well
>
> For tiny, tiny values of "a lot" and "very well".
>
> https://appdb.winehq.org  Browse Apps
>
> The fact that they have 5 rating tiers is a big red flag.  What's the
> point if it doesn't run all features about as well as on Windows?
>
> And their search feature is all fucked up.
>
> https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?bIsQueue=false&bIsRejected=false&sClass=application&sTitle=Browse+Applications&iItemsPerPage=25&iPage=1&sOrderBy=appName&bAscending=true
>
> It returns no hits for keywords contains Microsoft Office, but it
> returns 40 hits for keywords contains Office, and one of those 40 is,
> you guessed it, Microsoft Office.
>
> The last version of Excel they have an entry for is 2016 (32-bit), and
> the testing done is extremely, extremely basic.
>

>> -- and for
>> bleeding-edge performance, there's proton.
>>
>> If Linux can run Starfield, Elite Dangerous Odyssey, or other
>> such games on proton, why wouldn't it run (say) Word or Excel
>> with the same middleware?
>

> Last time I wasted my life with Wine (Oct 2020) it was a fiasco, and I
> won't do it again for a long time.
>
> <fQWjH.350439$%p.217548@fx33.iad>
>
> It did run Excel 2003 and Notepad++, but completely failed to run Access
> and Outlook 2003.
>

>> This matter of criticizing old Linux is very much like claiming
>> Linux hasn't grown.
>
> Criticizing Wine isn't a critique of Linux.
>
> If nothing else, Wine gets credit for 30 years of devotion, but users
> are far better off dual-booting.
>

>> [*] DFS and someone else, if I'm not mistaken
>
> It looks like Wine (Proton) runs games better than anything else, but I
> won't waste my time trying it again for a few more years.

You could use LibreOffice.

Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<92q4sip2tvjh43ntgrpq3it6rvqfmnh60t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9259&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9259

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 12:12:36 -0500
 by: Joel - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 17:12 UTC

candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:

>You [DFS] could use LibreOffice [instead of the ball and chain that is M$ Office].

I used LO and previously OO under Winblows, going back 20 years, when
I wasn't using it under Linux.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<MStwN.305714$7sbb.276935@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9261&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9261

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 12:19:40 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 17:19 UTC

On 2024-02-06 12:05 p.m., candycanearter07 wrote:
> On 2/6/24 08:21, DFS wrote:
>> On 2/6/2024 5:23 AM, vallor wrote:
>>
>>> So we're back to people[*] criticizing the _real_ "windows
>>> subsystem for Linux" -- WINE -- based on its performance from
>>> 10(?) years ago.
>>>
>>> Today, WINE runs a lot, and does it very well
>>
>> For tiny, tiny values of "a lot" and "very well".
>>
>> https://appdb.winehq.org  Browse Apps
>>
>> The fact that they have 5 rating tiers is a big red flag.  What's the
>> point if it doesn't run all features about as well as on Windows?
>>
>> And their search feature is all fucked up.
>>
>> https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?bIsQueue=false&bIsRejected=false&sClass=application&sTitle=Browse+Applications&iItemsPerPage=25&iPage=1&sOrderBy=appName&bAscending=true
>>
>> It returns no hits for keywords contains Microsoft Office, but it
>> returns 40 hits for keywords contains Office, and one of those 40 is,
>> you guessed it, Microsoft Office.
>>
>> The last version of Excel they have an entry for is 2016 (32-bit), and
>> the testing done is extremely, extremely basic.
>>

>>> -- and for
>>> bleeding-edge performance, there's proton.
>>>
>>> If Linux can run Starfield, Elite Dangerous Odyssey, or other
>>> such games on proton, why wouldn't it run (say) Word or Excel
>>> with the same middleware?
>>

>> Last time I wasted my life with Wine (Oct 2020) it was a fiasco, and I
>> won't do it again for a long time.
>>
>> <fQWjH.350439$%p.217548@fx33.iad>
>>
>> It did run Excel 2003 and Notepad++, but completely failed to run
>> Access and Outlook 2003.
>>

>>> This matter of criticizing old Linux is very much like claiming
>>> Linux hasn't grown.
>>
>> Criticizing Wine isn't a critique of Linux.
>>
>> If nothing else, Wine gets credit for 30 years of devotion, but users
>> are far better off dual-booting.
>>

>>> [*] DFS and someone else, if I'm not mistaken
>>
>> It looks like Wine (Proton) runs games better than anything else, but
>> I won't waste my time trying it again for a few more years.
>
> You could use LibreOffice.

Using LibreOffice, for DFS, is like eating shit instead of chocolate
cake. He has very specific needs which can only be satisfied by hiring
pedophiles to program a commercial office suite.
--
RabidPedagog
Catholic paleoconservative
Linux Mint patron

Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<43OwN.438212$83n7.259345@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9285&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9285

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 11:18:11 -0500
 by: DFS - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 16:18 UTC

On 2/6/2024 12:05 PM, candycanearter07 wrote:
> On 2/6/24 08:21, DFS wrote:

> You could use LibreOffice.

I could castrate myself, too.

Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<uq0ajh$1g2qb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9286&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9286

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 10:20:01 -0600
 by: candycanearter07 - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 16:20 UTC

On 2/7/24 10:18, DFS wrote:
> On 2/6/2024 12:05 PM, candycanearter07 wrote:
>> On 2/6/24 08:21, DFS wrote:
>

>> You could use LibreOffice.
>

> I could castrate myself, too.

ok

Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<QGOwN.304441$Wp_8.142959@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9287&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9287

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 12:00:32 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 17:00 UTC

On 2024-02-07 11:18 a.m., DFS wrote:
> On 2/6/2024 12:05 PM, candycanearter07 wrote:
>> On 2/6/24 08:21, DFS wrote:
>

>> You could use LibreOffice.
>
> I could castrate myself, too.

At the very least, you'd end up being more feminine than Joel's
"girlfriend."

--
RabidPedagog
Catholic paleoconservative
Linux Mint patron

Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<sde7sipfft649kg8932vnlgqohg3tssubl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9289&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9289

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2024 12:11:48 -0500
 by: Joel - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 17:11 UTC

candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:
>On 2/7/24 10:18, DFS wrote:
>> On 2/6/2024 12:05 PM, candycanearter07 wrote:
>>
>>> You could use LibreOffice.
>>
>> I could castrate myself, too.
>
>ok

You are the most calm mannered person in COLA, which is cool.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<rfe7si16308r8c43rrdsmqp23n1s87csft@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9290&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9290

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2024 12:13:00 -0500
 by: Joel - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 17:13 UTC

RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> wrote:
>On 2024-02-07 11:18 a.m., DFS wrote:
>> On 2/6/2024 12:05 PM, candycanearter07 wrote:
>>
>>> You could use LibreOffice.
>>
>> I could castrate myself, too.
>
>At the very least, you'd end up being more feminine than Joel's
>"girlfriend."

Like you know her, dumbshit. She has testes, a Y chromosome, but is
very much a woman.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<17b1a41a397385ed$56962$2997033$e6ddec62@news.thecubenet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9291&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9291

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: precent@yahoo.net (%)
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 12:16:06 -0500
 by: % - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 17:16 UTC

RabidPedagog wrote:
> On 2024-02-07 11:18 a.m., DFS wrote:
>> On 2/6/2024 12:05 PM, candycanearter07 wrote:
>>> On 2/6/24 08:21, DFS wrote:
>>

>>> You could use LibreOffice.
>>
>> I could castrate myself, too.
>
> At the very least, you'd end up being more feminine than Joel's
> "girlfriend."

https://postimg.cc/xJq6zyzC

Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<uq0hpt$1hfs5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9295&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9295

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2024 12:22:53 -0600
 by: candycanearter07 - Wed, 7 Feb 2024 18:22 UTC

On 2/7/24 11:11, Joel wrote:
> candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:

>>> I could castrate myself, too.
>>
>> ok
>

> You are the most calm mannered person in COLA, which is cool.

thanks

Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<1fqxN.99614$STLe.66953@fx34.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9430&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9430

From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 09:01:33 -0500
 by: DFS - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 14:01 UTC

On 2/7/2024 12:11 PM, Joel wrote:
> candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:

>>> I could castrate myself, too.
>>
>> ok
>

> You are the most calm mannered person in COLA, which is cool.

calm is boring. Who wants a group where everyone is calm and nice and
agreeable?

cola should be, and often is, contentious and interesting and somewhat
exciting.

Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<uq5lto$1i2pj$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9441&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9441

From: Physfitfreak@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 11:03:52 -0600
 by: Physfitfreak - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 17:03 UTC

On 2/9/2024 8:01 AM, DFS wrote:
> On 2/7/2024 12:11 PM, Joel wrote:
>> candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:

>>> ok
>>

>> You are the most calm mannered person in COLA, which is cool.
>

> calm is boring.  Who wants a group where everyone is calm and nice and
> agreeable?
>
> cola should be, and often is, contentious and interesting and somewhat
> exciting.

Good. You early human are coming to terms with your own species.

Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<c4ncsi56h1eju9dmv2na3ev1imgfbp4dai@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9442&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9442

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2024 12:12:08 -0500
 by: Joel - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 17:12 UTC

DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:
>On 2/7/2024 12:11 PM, Joel wrote:
>> candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:

>>> ok
>>
>> You are the most calm mannered person in COLA, which is cool.
>
>calm is boring. Who wants a group where everyone is calm and nice and
>agreeable?
>
>cola should be, and often is, contentious and interesting and somewhat
>exciting.

Maybe that's why I didn't wait for Win13 to switch to Linux. Not only
am I not delaying the inevitable, but I wanted to have something to
talk about with you.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<65c69c42$0$29733$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9460&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9460

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 09 Feb 2024 21:42:26 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 21:42 UTC

Le 06-02-2024, vallor <vallor@cultnix.org> a écrit :

> [*] DFS and someone else, if I'm not mistaken

You are mistaken. Go get a brain. I have nothing against wine, it's just
useless but if you want to use it, just go for it. What I said is wine
is the worst possible argument when someone says nothing good runs on
Linux.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<65c69e7a$0$29733$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9461&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9461

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 09 Feb 2024 21:51:54 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 21:51 UTC

Le 09-02-2024, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> a écrit :

> calm is boring. Who wants a group where everyone is calm and nice and
> agreeable?

That's what I say about LP/NV/DG/FR/LM/whatever: is very funny.

> cola should be, and often is, contentious and interesting and somewhat
> exciting.

OK, I don't believe I've ever been able to have an interesting
discussion with him. But I have a lot of fun from time to time.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<htIxN.314996$Wp_8.28353@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9501&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9501

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 05:45:36 -0500
 by: DFS - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 10:45 UTC

On 2/9/2024 12:03 PM, Physfitfreak wrote:
> On 2/9/2024 8:01 AM, DFS wrote:

>>> You are the most calm mannered person in COLA, which is cool.
>>

>> calm is boring.  Who wants a group where everyone is calm and nice and
>> agreeable?
>>
>> cola should be, and often is, contentious and interesting and somewhat
>> exciting.
>>

> Good. You early human are coming to terms with your own species.

Pipe down, you lesser-evolved sand primate.

Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<97lesi11oee36rm2ileg2uutdefn3de177@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9502&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9502

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 05:52:02 -0500
 by: Joel - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 10:52 UTC

Stéphane CARPENTIER <sc@fiat-linux.fr> wrote:
>Le 09-02-2024, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> a écrit :
>>
>> calm is boring. Who wants a group where everyone is calm and nice and
>> agreeable?
>
>That's what I say about LP/NV/DG/FR/LM/whatever: is very funny.

He's not the worst guy.

>> cola should be, and often is, contentious and interesting and somewhat
>> exciting.
>
>OK, I don't believe I've ever been able to have an interesting
>discussion with him. But I have a lot of fun from time to time.

I'm not interesting to you because I'm not in your field. That
doesn't make my interest in Linux any less valid.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<slKxN.313963$7sbb.243241@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9520&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9520

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 07:53:47 -0500
 by: DFS - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 12:53 UTC

On 2/9/2024 12:12 PM, Joel wrote:
> DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:

>>> You are the most calm mannered person in COLA, which is cool.
>>
>> calm is boring. Who wants a group where everyone is calm and nice and
>> agreeable?
>>
>> cola should be, and often is, contentious and interesting and somewhat
>> exciting.
>

> Maybe that's why I didn't wait for Win13 to switch to Linux. Not only
> am I not delaying the inevitable, but I wanted to have something to
> talk about with you.

Create a conflict where there was none? That's the cola spirit I like.

Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<4YLxN.425045$p%Mb.301872@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9550&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9550

From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 09:43:16 -0500
 by: DFS - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 14:43 UTC

On 2/9/2024 4:51 PM, Stéphane CARPENTIER wrote:
> Le 09-02-2024, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> a écrit :
>>
>> calm is boring. Who wants a group where everyone is calm and nice and
>> agreeable?
>
> That's what I say about LP/NV/DG/FR/LM/whatever: is very funny.
>
>> cola should be, and often is, contentious and interesting and somewhat
>> exciting.

cola can be a blast! And I admit it's good to have a few shitheels
(despicable creatures) around, like Feeb and shitv.

> OK, I don't believe I've ever been able to have an interesting
> discussion with him. But I have a lot of fun from time to time.

You can't have a reasonable discussion with Feeb, unless you suck up to
him like SandChimp (PhysFitFreak) does.

Feeb is always looking to lie-brag about himself and his one way of
doing things. It gets old.

Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<laaisitl7qkv1moie2g58b1ljkjt8s0tam@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9749&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9749

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 15:10:02 -0500
 by: Joel - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 20:10 UTC

DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:

>>> calm is boring. Who wants a group where everyone is calm and nice and
>>> agreeable?
>>>
>>> cola should be, and often is, contentious and interesting and somewhat
>>> exciting.
>>
>> Maybe that's why I didn't wait for Win13 to switch to Linux. Not only
>> am I not delaying the inevitable, but I wanted to have something to
>> talk about with you.
>
>Create a conflict where there was none? That's the cola spirit I like.

I advocated Linux from Windows, too, but it's more effective if I'm
using it myself.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: Stop yer WHINING about WINE (and proton, on Linux)

<uqdfo9$1jhv2$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9845&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9845

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 10:07:37 -0600
 by: candycanearter07 - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 16:07 UTC

On 2/9/24 08:01, DFS wrote:
> On 2/7/2024 12:11 PM, Joel wrote:
>> candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:

>>> ok
>>

>> You are the most calm mannered person in COLA, which is cool.
>

> calm is boring.  Who wants a group where everyone is calm and nice and
> agreeable?
>
> cola should be, and often is, contentious and interesting and somewhat
> exciting.

Yeah, and I like reading thru it sometimes. But, there's still some calm
conversations here which I prefer to participate in.