May Euell Gibbons eat your only copy of the manual!

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / Linux Growth in Brazil

SubjectAuthor
* Linux Growth in BrazilRonB
+* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilRabidPedagog
|`* Re: Linux Growth in Brazilsoup
| `* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilRabidPedagog
|  `* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilRonB
|   +* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilRabidPedagog
|   |`- Re: Linux Growth in Brazilsoup
|   `- Re: Linux Growth in Brazilsoup
+* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilDFS
|`* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilRabidPedagog
| +- Re: Linux Growth in Brazilchrisv
| +* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilDFS
| |`* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilRabidPedagog
| | `- Re: Linux Growth in Brazilrbowman
| `* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilRonB
|  +* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilDFS
|  |`* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilStéphane CARPENTIER
|  | `* Re: Linux Growth in Brazilchrisv
|  |  `* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilStéphane CARPENTIER
|  |   `- Re: Linux Growth in Brazilchrisv
|  `* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilRabidPedagog
|   `* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilRonB
|    +- Re: Linux Growth in BrazilDFS
|    +* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilRabidPedagog
|    |+- Re: Linux Growth in BrazilRonB
|    |`* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilDFS
|    | `- Re: Linux Growth in BrazilRabidPedagog
|    `* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilStéphane CARPENTIER
|     +* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilRonB
|     |`* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilStéphane CARPENTIER
|     | +* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilRonB
|     | |`* Re: Linux Growth in Brazilchrisv
|     | | `- Re: Linux Growth in BrazilRonB
|     | `* Re: Linux Growth in Brazilchrisv
|     |  `* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilStéphane CARPENTIER
|     |   `* Re: Linux Growth in Brazilchrisv
|     |    +- Re: Linux Growth in BrazilStéphane CARPENTIER
|     |    +- Re: Linux Growth in Brazilchrisv
|     |    `- Re: Linux Growth in BrazilRabidPedagog
|     `* Re: Linux Growth in Brazilchrisv
|      `* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilStéphane CARPENTIER
|       +* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilDFS
|       |`- Re: Linux Growth in BrazilStéphane CARPENTIER
|       `* Re: Linux Growth in Brazilchrisv
|        `* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilStéphane CARPENTIER
|         `- Re: Linux Growth in Brazilchrisv
+* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilChris Ahlstrom
|`- Re: Linux Growth in BrazilRonB
`* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilTyrone
 +* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilRonB
 |`* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilTyrone
 | `- Re: Linux Growth in BrazilRonB
 `* Re: Linux Growth in Brazilchrisv
  `* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilTyrone
   +* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilRonB
   |`* Re: Linux Growth in Brazilrbowman
   | `* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilRonB
   |  `* Re: Linux Growth in Brazilrbowman
   |   +- Re: Linux Growth in BrazilRonB
   |   `* Re: Linux Growth in BrazilChris Ahlstrom
   |    `- Re: Linux Growth in Brazilcandycanearter07
   +- Re: Linux Growth in Brazilrbowman
   `- Re: Linux Growth in Brazilchrisv

Pages:123
Linux Growth in Brazil

<upn91e$3hoq6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9148&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9148

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Linux Growth in Brazil
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 05:58:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 05:58 UTC

Saw this on a Reddit post. Windows bloatware and system requirements may
kill Microsoft in the "global south." (Some editing for grammar and
spelling.)

I live in Brazil, and I've been noticing a fast growth in use of Linux in
my circles and also online in the last year or so. I know this means
nothing statistically, and I cant say its for sure what is happening all
around, but I think the conditions we are facing today are pushing many
people to Linux here. Our access on computers is much different than you
guys on the north. They are expensive, most people cant afford one, and
when they do, they buy it for using forever. They don't have the money to
buy another one when Microsoft decides to update windows and make it
unusable on their devices, or when it gets too bloated and need more
resources. The average laptop here has 4gb of ram and Intel Celerons,
Windows 10 and 11 does not run smoothly (and Windows 11 won't run at all
with that ultra specific hardware requirements). Many people are
downgrading for Windows 7 because of this, even with no security updates,
because it runs better on these devices. But many people are giving Linux
a try for the same reason. I see many people say "This still is not the
year for Linux". Maybe it isn't. But it is the year of the beginning of
downfall of Windows here on the periphery of capitalism at least. Also,
the Linux desktop experience evolved A LOT in recent years, we have many
resources and facitilations that did not exist before, and we have many
user friendly Desktop Environments that make people who come from Windows
comfortable. I think the Linux community have been doing a great job
improving Linux and this is showing for new users.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1aidfbc/linux_is_growing_fast_here_in_the_global_south/

--
"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."
-- Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

Re: Linux Growth in Brazil

<M8LvN.433977$83n7.146092@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9158&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9158

Subject: Re: Linux Growth in Brazil
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 07:10:20 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 12:10 UTC

On 2024-02-04 00:58, RonB wrote:
> Saw this on a Reddit post. Windows bloatware and system requirements may
> kill Microsoft in the "global south." (Some editing for grammar and
> spelling.)
>
> I live in Brazil, and I've been noticing a fast growth in use of Linux in
> my circles and also online in the last year or so. I know this means
> nothing statistically, and I cant say its for sure what is happening all
> around, but I think the conditions we are facing today are pushing many
> people to Linux here. Our access on computers is much different than you
> guys on the north. They are expensive, most people cant afford one, and
> when they do, they buy it for using forever.

Considering this is the same country which used a Sega Master System
(possibly called the Mark 3 there) until the 2000s, I shouldn't be
surprised.

> They don't have the money to
> buy another one when Microsoft decides to update windows and make it
> unusable on their devices, or when it gets too bloated and need more
> resources. The average laptop here has 4gb of ram and Intel Celerons,
> Windows 10 and 11 does not run smoothly (and Windows 11 won't run at all
> with that ultra specific hardware requirements). Many people are
> downgrading for Windows 7 because of this, even with no security updates,
> because it runs better on these devices. But many people are giving Linux
> a try for the same reason. I see many people say "This still is not the
> year for Linux". Maybe it isn't. But it is the year of the beginning of
> downfall of Windows here on the periphery of capitalism at least. Also,
> the Linux desktop experience evolved A LOT in recent years, we have many
> resources and facitilations that did not exist before, and we have many
> user friendly Desktop Environments that make people who come from Windows
> comfortable. I think the Linux community have been doing a great job
> improving Linux and this is showing for new users.
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1aidfbc/linux_is_growing_fast_here_in_the_global_south/

Essentially, this is why open-source thrives. For people who don't mind
spending $3,000 or more on a base computer and the same amount yearly to
upgrade it, Windows is fine. However, that is a good chunk of money for
young families or people whose jobs don't compensate them as fairly as
they do in North America. Good on Linux for being a solution to an
increasing problem.

--
RabidPedagog
Catholic paleoconservative

Re: Linux Growth in Brazil

<yrNvN.84529$CYpe.24919@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9162&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9162

From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 09:46:57 -0500
 by: DFS - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 14:46 UTC

On 2/4/2024 12:58 AM, RonB wrote:

> Saw this on a Reddit post. Windows bloatware and system requirements may
> kill Microsoft in the "global south."

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1aidfbc/linux_is_growing_fast_here_in_the_global_south/

Keep hope alive!

> "But it is the year of the beginning of
> downfall of Windows here on the periphery of capitalism at least."

3 decades of Linux wackos claiming Windows is doomed by Linux? Get a
new schtick.

Meanwhile:
https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/brazil

Windows 90% OSX 4% Linux 3% Unknown 3%

********** **** *** ***
**********
**********
**********
**********
**********
**********
**********
**********

Re: Linux Growth in Brazil

<cNNvN.86842$m4d.62581@fx43.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9167&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9167

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 10:10:00 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 15:10 UTC

On 2024-02-04 09:46, DFS wrote:
> On 2/4/2024 12:58 AM, RonB wrote:
>
>> Saw this on a Reddit post. Windows bloatware and system requirements may
>> kill Microsoft in the "global south."
>

> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1aidfbc/linux_is_growing_fast_here_in_the_global_south/
> >

> Keep hope alive!
>

>>    "But it is the year of the beginning of
>>    downfall of Windows here on the periphery of capitalism at least."
>
> 3 decades of Linux wackos claiming Windows is doomed by Linux?  Get a
> new schtick.
>

> Meanwhile:
> https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/brazil
>
> Windows 90%   OSX 4%  Linux 3%  Unknown 3%
>
> **********    ****      ***       ***
> **********
> **********
> **********
> **********
> **********
> **********
> **********
> **********

Oh no! The OS we've chosen to use isn't the one millions of others have
chosen to use.

Similarly, I'm sure that men who chose to marry redheads with piercing
blue eyes and an athletic body are sad to learn that they should have
gone for out-of-shape brunettes with brown eyes.

--
RabidPedagog
Catholic paleoconservative
Linux Mint patron

Re: Linux Growth in Brazil

<upod6j$3nepe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9172&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9172

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 11:15:15 -0500
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 16:15 UTC

RonB wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> Saw this on a Reddit post. Windows bloatware and system requirements may
> kill Microsoft in the "global south." (Some editing for grammar and
> spelling.)
>
> I live in Brazil, and I've been noticing a fast growth in use of Linux in
> my circles and also online in the last year or so. I know this means
> nothing statistically, and I cant say its for sure what is happening all
> around, but I think the conditions we are facing today are pushing many
> people to Linux here. Our access on computers is much different than you
> guys on the north. They are expensive, most people cant afford one, and
> when they do, they buy it for using forever. They don't have the money to
> buy another one when Microsoft decides to update windows and make it
> unusable on their devices, or when it gets too bloated and need more
> resources. The average laptop here has 4gb of ram and Intel Celerons,
> Windows 10 and 11 does not run smoothly (and Windows 11 won't run at all
> with that ultra specific hardware requirements). Many people are
> downgrading for Windows 7 because of this, even with no security updates,
> because it runs better on these devices. But many people are giving Linux
> a try for the same reason. I see many people say "This still is not the
> year for Linux". Maybe it isn't. But it is the year of the beginning of
> downfall of Windows here on the periphery of capitalism at least. Also,
> the Linux desktop experience evolved A LOT in recent years, we have many
> resources and facitilations that did not exist before, and we have many
> user friendly Desktop Environments that make people who come from Windows
> comfortable. I think the Linux community have been doing a great job
> improving Linux and this is showing for new users.
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1aidfbc/linux_is_growing_fast_here_in_the_global_south/

Brazil should expect many many visits from Microsoft sales executives :-D

--
Q: Why did the germ cross the microscope?
A: To get to the other slide.

Re: Linux Growth in Brazil

<p0evri11h2psvr34fe9k3glpdeust60qu2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9173&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9173

From: chrisv@nospam.invalid (chrisv)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 10:17:20 -0600
 by: chrisv - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 16:17 UTC

RabidPedagog wrote:

>The OS we've chosen to use isn't the one millions of others have
>chosen to use.
>
>Similarly, I'm sure that men who chose to marry redheads with piercing
>blue eyes and an athletic body are sad to learn that they should have
>gone for out-of-shape brunettes with brown eyes.

Some dumb fsck thinks that "smart people" stay in the herd.

--
'2018: "dullards either stay with the Windows herd, or go with the
designed-for-morons Mac." - [chrisv], labeling his daughter a

Re: Linux Growth in Brazil

<RNOvN.209678$vFZa.76613@fx13.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9174&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9174

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 11:19:00 -0500
 by: DFS - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 16:19 UTC

On 2/4/2024 10:10 AM, RabidPedagog wrote:
> On 2024-02-04 09:46, DFS wrote:
>> On 2/4/2024 12:58 AM, RonB wrote:
>>
>>> Saw this on a Reddit post. Windows bloatware and system requirements may
>>> kill Microsoft in the "global south."
>>
>>  >
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1aidfbc/linux_is_growing_fast_here_in_the_global_south/
>>  >
>>

>> Keep hope alive!
>>

>>>    "But it is the year of the beginning of
>>>    downfall of Windows here on the periphery of capitalism at least."
>>
>> 3 decades of Linux wackos claiming Windows is doomed by Linux?  Get a
>> new schtick.
>>

>> Meanwhile:
>> https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/brazil
>>
>> Windows 90%   OSX 4%  Linux 3%  Unknown 3%
>>
>> **********    ****      ***       ***
>> **********
>> **********
>> **********
>> **********
>> **********
>> **********
>> **********
>> **********
>
> Oh no! The OS we've chosen to use isn't the one millions of others have
> chosen to use.

The OS you've chosen to use temporarily. Tomorrow never knows.

> Similarly, I'm sure that men who chose to marry redheads with piercing
> blue eyes and an athletic body are sad to learn that they should have
> gone for out-of-shape brunettes with brown eyes.

I was pumping my gas once and a cute redhead with green eyes approached
me asking for directions. It was the first time I saw green eyes in
real life, and hers were absolutely gorgeous, about like these:

https://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/eye-color-green.htm

I had a girlfriend at the time, or I would've made a play for her.

Re: Linux Growth in Brazil

<tc6cna9HSM7iXCL4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9178&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9178

From: none@none.none (Tyrone)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 16:55:27 +0000
 by: Tyrone - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 16:55 UTC

On Feb 4, 2024 at 12:58:06 AM EST, "RonB" <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:

> Saw this on a Reddit post. Windows bloatware and system requirements may
> kill Microsoft in the "global south." (Some editing for grammar and
> spelling.)

Every year for the last 25 years has been "The Year Of Linux". The result is
that Linux is now 4% of desktop users instead of less than 1%.

Linux is just too difficult for ordinary USERS to put up with. Granted,
Windows is not much easier, but it is much more familiar and so USERS are much
more likely to know someone who can help when things get scary.

The real story in desktop use has been Macs. 25 years ago it was Windows 95%,
Macs 3% and everything else "Other" at 2%. Now it is Windows 73%, Macs 16% and
Linux 4%.
Meanwhile "Unknown" is over 5%. It will be interesting to see what THAT turns
out to be. Looks to me like it is some version of Windows that is not being
counted correctly. "Unknown" jumped to around 12% or so in April and May last
year, while Windows had a similar drop.

<https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/worldwide>

Re: Linux Growth in Brazil

<upofsk$3o1ih$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9179&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9179

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:01:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:01 UTC

On 2024-02-04, RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> wrote:
> On 2024-02-04 09:46, DFS wrote:
>> On 2/4/2024 12:58 AM, RonB wrote:
>>
>>> Saw this on a Reddit post. Windows bloatware and system requirements may
>>> kill Microsoft in the "global south."
>>

>> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1aidfbc/linux_is_growing_fast_here_in_the_global_south/
>> >

>> Keep hope alive!
>>

>>>    "But it is the year of the beginning of
>>>    downfall of Windows here on the periphery of capitalism at least."
>>
>> 3 decades of Linux wackos claiming Windows is doomed by Linux?  Get a
>> new schtick.
>>

>> Meanwhile:
>> https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/brazil
>>
>> Windows 90%   OSX 4%  Linux 3%  Unknown 3%
>>
>> **********    ****      ***       ***
>> **********
>> **********
>> **********
>> **********
>> **********
>> **********
>> **********
>> **********
>
> Oh no! The OS we've chosen to use isn't the one millions of others have
> chosen to use.
>
> Similarly, I'm sure that men who chose to marry redheads with piercing
> blue eyes and an athletic body are sad to learn that they should have
> gone for out-of-shape brunettes with brown eyes.

DuFuS always puts words into your mouth. Straw man tactics. No one said
Windows was "doomed." This post said that people in Brazil (and the Global
South) couldn't afford the computers that are needed to run the bloated
Windows 10 and Windows 11 — so one of the ways they are keeping their older
(4 GB Celeron) computers running is by using Linux. The writer also said
that many are also installing Windows 7 (without security support) for this
same reason.

If only DuFuS could read with comprehension and actually comment on what was
written instead of going instantly into his boiler plate rant with his
chickenshit hyperbolic tactics and lying insinuations.

Gee I wonder why DuFuS is a permanent denizen of my killfile?

--
"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."
-- Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

Re: Linux Growth in Brazil

<upog1b$3o1ih$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9180&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9180

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:03:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:03 UTC

On 2024-02-04, Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us> wrote:
> RonB wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> Saw this on a Reddit post. Windows bloatware and system requirements may
>> kill Microsoft in the "global south." (Some editing for grammar and
>> spelling.)
>>
>> I live in Brazil, and I've been noticing a fast growth in use of Linux in
>> my circles and also online in the last year or so. I know this means
>> nothing statistically, and I cant say its for sure what is happening all
>> around, but I think the conditions we are facing today are pushing many
>> people to Linux here. Our access on computers is much different than you
>> guys on the north. They are expensive, most people cant afford one, and
>> when they do, they buy it for using forever. They don't have the money to
>> buy another one when Microsoft decides to update windows and make it
>> unusable on their devices, or when it gets too bloated and need more
>> resources. The average laptop here has 4gb of ram and Intel Celerons,
>> Windows 10 and 11 does not run smoothly (and Windows 11 won't run at all
>> with that ultra specific hardware requirements). Many people are
>> downgrading for Windows 7 because of this, even with no security updates,
>> because it runs better on these devices. But many people are giving Linux
>> a try for the same reason. I see many people say "This still is not the
>> year for Linux". Maybe it isn't. But it is the year of the beginning of
>> downfall of Windows here on the periphery of capitalism at least. Also,
>> the Linux desktop experience evolved A LOT in recent years, we have many
>> resources and facitilations that did not exist before, and we have many
>> user friendly Desktop Environments that make people who come from Windows
>> comfortable. I think the Linux community have been doing a great job
>> improving Linux and this is showing for new users.
>>
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1aidfbc/linux_is_growing_fast_here_in_the_global_south/
>
> Brazil should expect many many visits from Microsoft sales executives :-D

Maybe they should consider a Windows Lite version that didn't need all the
bloat necessary for calling home and AI BS. They could call it Microsoft
Linux.

--
"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."
-- Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

Re: Linux Growth in Brazil

<upoghv$3o1ih$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9181&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9181

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:12:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:12 UTC

On 2024-02-04, Tyrone <none@none.none> wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2024 at 12:58:06 AM EST, "RonB" <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Saw this on a Reddit post. Windows bloatware and system requirements may
>> kill Microsoft in the "global south." (Some editing for grammar and
>> spelling.)
>
> Every year for the last 25 years has been "The Year Of Linux". The result is
> that Linux is now 4% of desktop users instead of less than 1%.
>
> Linux is just too difficult for ordinary USERS to put up with. Granted,
> Windows is not much easier, but it is much more familiar and so USERS are much
> more likely to know someone who can help when things get scary.
>
> The real story in desktop use has been Macs. 25 years ago it was Windows 95%,
> Macs 3% and everything else "Other" at 2%. Now it is Windows 73%, Macs 16% and
> Linux 4%.

I'm guessing some of the "unknown" is Linux. I hadn't been keeping up with
market share for a couple years and was surprised to see that the Mac market
grew as much as it has.

Even at 4% (or whatever the real percent for Linux market share is) it's
still millions and millions of users — and that's just on the desktop.
Everywhere else it dominates.

> Meanwhile "Unknown" is over 5%. It will be interesting to see what THAT turns
> out to be. Looks to me like it is some version of Windows that is not being
> counted correctly. "Unknown" jumped to around 12% or so in April and May last
> year, while Windows had a similar drop.
>
><https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/worldwide>

I see ChromeOS is dropping. For a while there I thought it might take off.

--
"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."
-- Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

Re: Linux Growth in Brazil

<vuivritd66bdqr2m36173k277asa9gus8r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9182&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9182

From: chrisv@nospam.invalid (chrisv)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 11:44:27 -0600
 by: chrisv - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:44 UTC

Tyrone wrote:

>Every year for the last 25 years has been "The Year Of Linux".

Every year for the last 25 years some stupid troll has claimed that.

>Linux is just too difficult for ordinary USERS to put up with.

What, exactly, is more difficult about using Linux?

>Windows is not much easier, but it is much more familiar and so USERS are much
>more likely to know someone who can help when things get scary.

Yeah, and it has the cool apps.

--
"the temperature scales are really close to being linear" - some
dumb fsck, defending his "65C is 30 % hotter than 50C" fsckwittery

Re: Linux Growth in Brazil

<CZKcnSlt-accTyL4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9183&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9183

From: none@none.none (Tyrone)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 18:08:01 +0000
 by: Tyrone - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 18:08 UTC

On Feb 4, 2024 at 12:44:27 PM EST, "chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> Tyrone wrote:
>
>> Every year for the last 25 years has been "The Year Of Linux".
>
> Every year for the last 25 years some stupid troll has claimed that.

Every year for the last 25 years some stupid "Linux Advocate" has been
claiming "Linux use is growing".

>> Linux is just too difficult for ordinary USERS to put up with.
>
> What, exactly, is more difficult about using Linux?

Well first of all one needs to install it. USERS have no clue how do that.
Then you need to know about (and find) apps that will do what you need to do.
Again, USERS...

>> Windows is not much easier, but it is much more familiar and so USERS are much
>> more likely to know someone who can help when things get scary.
>
> Yeah, and it has the cool apps.

Which is all that really matters to USERS. We could all be running CP/M and
GEM if it had the cool apps. No USERS care about Operating Systems, or even
know what the term means.

So the idea of "Here, install this thing called Linux. BTW if you are not
careful it will erase eveything you have on your laptop. BTW2, it is very
different from what you have been using for years. BTW3, the software you have
been using for years is not available for it and BTW4, you won't be able to
ask your neighbor/friend/son/daughter/Dad/whoever for help when you need it.
But hey, it is free. And worth every penny." does not interest very many
people.

Re: Linux Growth in Brazil

<DoQvN.46601$mMj7.17601@fx01.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9184&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9184

From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 13:08:35 -0500
 by: DFS - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 18:08 UTC

On 2/4/2024 12:01 PM, RonB wrote:
> On 2024-02-04, RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> wrote:

>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1aidfbc/linux_is_growing_fast_here_in_the_global_south/
>>> >

>>> Keep hope alive!

>>> 3 decades of Linux wackos claiming Windows is doomed by Linux?  Get a
>>> new schtick.
>>>

>>> Meanwhile:
>>> https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/brazil
>>>
>>> Windows 90%   OSX 4%  Linux 3%  Unknown 3%
>>>
>>> **********    ****      ***       ***
>>> **********
>>> **********
>>> **********
>>> **********
>>> **********
>>> **********
>>> **********
>>> **********
>>
>> Oh no! The OS we've chosen to use isn't the one millions of others have
>> chosen to use.
>>
>> Similarly, I'm sure that men who chose to marry redheads with piercing
>> blue eyes and an athletic body are sad to learn that they should have
>> gone for out-of-shape brunettes with brown eyes.
>
> DuFuS always puts words into your mouth. Straw man tactics. No one said
> Windows was "doomed."

wtf? YOU posted a Linux wacko quote:

"But it is the year of the beginning of downfall of Windows here..."

That means doomed.

Just about every Linux idiot that's ever posted to cola - including you
- said it, or words to that effect, at one time or another.

Want a recent example? Sure thing: the 2nd sentence of this post you
said Microsoft may be killed in the 'global south'.

It's ridiculous. You MS-hating Linux loons just can't help
yourselves... for nearly 3 decades.

Windows usage may decline some (though it's taken 25 years to go from
97% to 90% desktop), but it's way too entrenched for GuhNoo/Linux
hobbyware to EVER replace it.

So you can rest assured Microsoft will be around long after your world
fades to black.

> If only DuFuS could read with comprehension and actually comment on what was
> written instead of going instantly into his boiler plate rant with his
> chickenshit hyperbolic tactics and lying insinuations.

My reply to your drooling and the "Windows is doomed" quote was entirely
rational and honest. Your reply here is full of lies, though.

> Gee I wonder why DuFuS is a permanent denizen of my killfile?

'Cause you don't like having your lies and idiocy called out.

Re: Linux Growth in Brazil

<HqacnfESZJZrTiL4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9186&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9186

From: none@none.none (Tyrone)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 18:14:14 +0000
 by: Tyrone - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 18:14 UTC

On Feb 4, 2024 at 12:12:31 PM EST, "RonB" <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:

> I see ChromeOS is dropping. For a while there I thought it might take off.

Yeah Chrome was up to around 8% in the last couple years. It is dropping now.
But it tends to go up and down with school use. It drops in summer and around
Christmas when schools are closed. It should come up a bit in next few months.

Re: Linux Growth in Brazil

<uponpt$3pg3f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9187&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9187

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 19:16:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 19:16 UTC

On 2024-02-04, Tyrone <none@none.none> wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2024 at 12:44:27 PM EST, "chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Tyrone wrote:
>>
>>> Every year for the last 25 years has been "The Year Of Linux".
>>
>> Every year for the last 25 years some stupid troll has claimed that.
>
> Every year for the last 25 years some stupid "Linux Advocate" has been
> claiming "Linux use is growing".

Actually every year it is growing. But it's usually the FUDsters who claim
the Linux Advocates say "the year of Linux." Everywhere but the desktop it
already dominates.

>>> Linux is just too difficult for ordinary USERS to put up with.
>>
>> What, exactly, is more difficult about using Linux?
>
> Well first of all one needs to install it. USERS have no clue how do that.
> Then you need to know about (and find) apps that will do what you need to do.
> Again, USERS...

Installing may be a problem for most people. Finding apps isn't. Just run
Software Manager in Linux Mint (most distributions have something like it).
Simple select and click to install.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6c/Linux_Mint_18.3_Cinnamon_Software_Manager.png/1200px-Linux_Mint_18.3_Cinnamon_Software_Manager.png

If you can't handle that, maybe computing (any kind of computing) isn't for
you.

>>> Windows is not much easier, but it is much more familiar and so USERS are much
>>> more likely to know someone who can help when things get scary.
>>
>> Yeah, and it has the cool apps.

Like... what? Games? Adobe Photoshop? AutoCAD? Bloatware like Microsoft
Office?

> Which is all that really matters to USERS. We could all be running CP/M and
> GEM if it had the cool apps. No USERS care about Operating Systems, or even
> know what the term means.
>
> So the idea of "Here, install this thing called Linux. BTW if you are not
> careful it will erase eveything you have on your laptop. BTW2, it is very
> different from what you have been using for years. BTW3, the software you have
> been using for years is not available for it and BTW4, you won't be able to
> ask your neighbor/friend/son/daughter/Dad/whoever for help when you need it.
> But hey, it is free. And worth every penny." does not interest very many
> people.

What FUD. How often do people erase their whole laptop using Linux? I would
say it's more common for people to lose their whole laptop to a Windows
BSOD (which I *have* seen).

BTW2 - Not really, if you use Cinnamon it's a lot like Windows. And, as most
Windows users don't know what's going on behind the scenes either, ditto
with new or casual Linux users. Have you tried Linux Mint Cinnamon?

BTW3 - Depends on what you've been using for years. For me it was no problem
as I didn't use Microsoft Office anyhow. (Nor do I use niche products like
Adobe Photoshop or AutoCAD.) If you want to play PC games the easiest path
is Windows (Mac OS fails here as well, probably worse than Linux does.)

BTW4 - Probably not, but there's lots of help on the Internet. (Though a lot
of people don't know how to use the Internet for Windows issues either.)

Not only is Linux free, it brings older computers back to life (or keeps
them alive). If you want the newest version of Windows or Mac OS, be ready
to shell out a substantial amount of money every few years.

--
"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."
-- Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

Re: Linux Growth in Brazil

<uponvj$3pg3f$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9188&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9188

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 19:19:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 19:19 UTC

On 2024-02-04, Tyrone <none@none.none> wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2024 at 12:12:31 PM EST, "RonB" <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I see ChromeOS is dropping. For a while there I thought it might take off.
>
> Yeah Chrome was up to around 8% in the last couple years. It is dropping now.
> But it tends to go up and down with school use. It drops in summer and around
> Christmas when schools are closed. It should come up a bit in next few months.

According to your link it was currently at 1.7% — or was that 2.7%? Either
way, lower than I remember it was at a year or two ago.

--
"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."
-- Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

Re: Linux Growth in Brazil

<l2a8dlFf3qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9191&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9191

From: bowman@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 4 Feb 2024 19:55:34 GMT
 by: rbowman - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 19:55 UTC

On Sun, 04 Feb 2024 18:08:01 +0000, Tyrone wrote:

> Then you need to know about (and find) apps that will do what you need
> to do.
> Again, USERS...

How does that differ from Windows? Even DFS is able to find Notepad++ and
install it. I could argue Linux is easier than

https://apps.microsoft.com/home?hl=en-US&gl=US

Lemme see... I want a calorie counter. I'll fire up the Ubuntu package
manager. I bet it might be in the 'Health and Fitness' category. Ah,
there's one, Diet Clock. Let's see what it's about.

": REAL TIME CALORIE COUNTING Diet Clock is a new way for you to control
your calorie intake. It displays your calorie usage in real time, and at a
glance Diet Clock will show you how much to eat every day.

Diet Clock is very easy to understand - It works like a calorie
chronometer.

• Calories from food will be added to the total.

• Calories burned (including your exercise) will be subtracted from the
total.

So all you have to do is keep the counter as close to zero as possible -
by logging what you eat."

The description goes on but you get the idea. At least Ubuntu isn't
hawking paid apps.

Re: Linux Growth in Brazil

<mpqvridvoij0qu29o6roj8p22cdv6v1n4g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9193&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9193

From: chrisv@nospam.invalid (chrisv)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 13:59:48 -0600
 by: chrisv - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 19:59 UTC

Tyrone wrote:

>>> Every year for the last 25 years has been "The Year Of Linux".
>>
>> Every year for the last 25 years some stupid troll has claimed that.
>
>Every year for the last 25 years some stupid "Linux Advocate" has been
>claiming "Linux use is growing".

What's stupid about that common sense, correct statement, "Tyrone"?

>>> Linux is just too difficult for ordinary USERS to put up with.
>>
>> What, exactly, is more difficult about using Linux?
>
>Well first of all one needs to install it. USERS have no clue how do that.

Lame attack, "Tyrone".

>Then you need to know about (and find) apps that will do what you need to do.

Centralized and very easy. Arguably easier than Windows.

--
"MS is installed for a reason : people wanted it." - "True Linux
advocate" Hadron Quark

Re: Linux Growth in Brazil

<l2a9umFf3qU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9195&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9195

From: bowman@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 4 Feb 2024 20:21:42 GMT
 by: rbowman - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 20:21 UTC

On Sun, 4 Feb 2024 19:16:13 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:

> BTW2 - Not really, if you use Cinnamon it's a lot like Windows. And, as
> most Windows users don't know what's going on behind the scenes either,
> ditto with new or casual Linux users. Have you tried Linux Mint
> Cinnamon?

If you sat a user down at the KDE desktop in Fedora they might mistake it
for Windows. It has a Start Menu with a 'Favorites' that you can pin any
app to by right clicking or you can put it on the task bar. I like it
better than the Ubuntu 'Show Applications' button.

Re: Linux Growth in Brazil

<65c006a9$0$29771$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9201&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9201

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: sc@fiat-linux.fr (Stéphane CARPENTIER)
Date: 04 Feb 2024 21:50:33 GMT
 by: Stéphane CARPENTIER - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 21:50 UTC

Le 04-02-2024, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> a écrit :
> "But it is the year of the beginning of downfall of Windows here..."
>
> That means doomed.
>
> Just about every Linux idiot that's ever posted to cola - including you
> - said it, or words to that effect, at one time or another.

I don't believe I said that. Maybe as a joke, and the context would
show, but even as a joke I don't believe I ever said something like
that.

> Want a recent example? Sure thing: the 2nd sentence of this post you
> said Microsoft may be killed in the 'global south'.

On the desktop I mean, of course, on the server side, on embedded or on
smartphone, Windows doesn't really compete anymore (a little bit on
servers, but with Kubernetes and the cloud, I don't know how long
they'll keep on). But on the desktop side, I never said Windows lost the
war nor did I say Windows will soon disappear.

>> If only DuFuS could read with comprehension and actually comment on what was
>> written instead of going instantly into his boiler plate rant with his
>> chickenshit hyperbolic tactics and lying insinuations.
>
> My reply to your drooling and the "Windows is doomed" quote was entirely
> rational and honest. Your reply here is full of lies, though.

But this answer, saying every Linux idiot said it at one time, was not.
I'm pretty sure I never said it.

--
Si vous avez du temps à perdre :
https://scarpet42.gitlab.io

Re: Linux Growth in Brazil

<qk50si90pm6ps0cbmpnfqaoquc4ju89g7e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9204&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9204

From: chrisv@nospam.invalid (chrisv)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 17:02:10 -0600
 by: chrisv - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 23:02 UTC

> some dumb fsck wrote:
>>
>> "But it is the year of the beginning of downfall of Windows here..."
>>
>> That means doomed.

No it doesn't, lying idiot.

Bringing some *balance* to the market doesn't mean the former monopoly
is "doomed".

>> Just about every Linux idiot that's ever posted to cola - including you
>> - said it, or words to that effect, at one time or another.

Just more DumFSck lies.

--
"Proof positive.... DFS lies." - Chris Ahlstrom

Re: Linux Growth in Brazil

<uppc94$3uf7n$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9206&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9206

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 01:05:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 01:05 UTC

On 2024-02-04, rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Feb 2024 19:16:13 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:
>
>> BTW2 - Not really, if you use Cinnamon it's a lot like Windows. And, as
>> most Windows users don't know what's going on behind the scenes either,
>> ditto with new or casual Linux users. Have you tried Linux Mint
>> Cinnamon?
>
> If you sat a user down at the KDE desktop in Fedora they might mistake it
> for Windows. It has a Start Menu with a 'Favorites' that you can pin any
> app to by right clicking or you can put it on the task bar. I like it
> better than the Ubuntu 'Show Applications' button.

Cinnamon is a lot like KDE. So is Mate. My brother had a friend who had to
get some stuff done while he was in town, so he used my brother's Linux
computer running Mate. He used the computer for about an hour and a half,
then asked my brother, "What do you think about Linux?" Response, "You've
been using Linux for the last hour and a half." "This isn't Windows?"

Linux is definitely different under the surface but (unless you choose
differently) the desktop experience can almost be the same. That's one
reason why I (personally) don't like Gnome, I like the panel/task bar,
pinning my applications to it and a Menu system with favorites. I was never
attracted to "doing it differently" for the sake of doing it differently.

--
"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."
-- Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

Re: Linux Growth in Brazil

<yLWvN.300528$7sbb.174007@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9207&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9207

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 20:22:38 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 01:22 UTC

On 2024-02-04 11:19, DFS wrote:
> On 2/4/2024 10:10 AM, RabidPedagog wrote:

>>>  >
>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1aidfbc/linux_is_growing_fast_here_in_the_global_south/
>>>  >
>>>

>>> Keep hope alive!

>>> 3 decades of Linux wackos claiming Windows is doomed by Linux?  Get a
>>> new schtick.
>>>

>>> Meanwhile:
>>> https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/brazil
>>>
>>> Windows 90%   OSX 4%  Linux 3%  Unknown 3%
>>>
>>> **********    ****      ***       ***
>>> **********
>>> **********
>>> **********
>>> **********
>>> **********
>>> **********
>>> **********
>>> **********
>>
>> Oh no! The OS we've chosen to use isn't the one millions of others
>> have chosen to use.
>
> The OS you've chosen to use temporarily.  Tomorrow never knows.

My mother-in-law asked me to fix her Windows 10 computer today. It
turned out that she was lacking a set of updates. Many installs and
reboots later, Windows Update decided to stop working entirely. If you
restart or shutdown, it shows the little icon suggesting that it will
install updates when you click on either option. However, no updates
install and after restart, the icon is still there and Windows Update
refuses to work. SFC didn't fix it, DISM didn't fix it and neither did
the update troubleshooter. To say the least, this request reminded me
part of _why_ I don't want to use the pedophile operating system you are
enamored with.

>> Similarly, I'm sure that men who chose to marry redheads with piercing
>> blue eyes and an athletic body are sad to learn that they should have
>> gone for out-of-shape brunettes with brown eyes.
>
> I was pumping my gas once and a cute redhead with green eyes approached
> me asking for directions.  It was the first time I saw green eyes in
> real life, and hers were absolutely gorgeous, about like these:
>
> https://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/eye-color-green.htm
>
> I had a girlfriend at the time, or I would've made a play for her.

I was mad for a redhead with piercing blue eyes in high school. I
eventually told her when I bumped into her at university. Little did I
know that she was either bipolar or borderline because she ended up
committing suicide before graduation.

--
RabidPedagog
Catholic paleoconservative
Linux Mint patron

Re: Linux Growth in Brazil

<5OWvN.300529$7sbb.283323@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=9208&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#9208

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 20:25:21 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 01:25 UTC

On 2024-02-04 12:01, RonB wrote:
> On 2024-02-04, RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> wrote:

>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/1aidfbc/linux_is_growing_fast_here_in_the_global_south/
>>> >

>>> Keep hope alive!

>>> 3 decades of Linux wackos claiming Windows is doomed by Linux?  Get a
>>> new schtick.
>>>

>>> Meanwhile:
>>> https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/brazil
>>>
>>> Windows 90%   OSX 4%  Linux 3%  Unknown 3%
>>>
>>> **********    ****      ***       ***
>>> **********
>>> **********
>>> **********
>>> **********
>>> **********
>>> **********
>>> **********
>>> **********
>>
>> Oh no! The OS we've chosen to use isn't the one millions of others have
>> chosen to use.
>>
>> Similarly, I'm sure that men who chose to marry redheads with piercing
>> blue eyes and an athletic body are sad to learn that they should have
>> gone for out-of-shape brunettes with brown eyes.
>
> DuFuS always puts words into your mouth. Straw man tactics. No one said
> Windows was "doomed." This post said that people in Brazil (and the Global
> South) couldn't afford the computers that are needed to run the bloated
> Windows 10 and Windows 11 — so one of the ways they are keeping their older
> (4 GB Celeron) computers running is by using Linux. The writer also said
> that many are also installing Windows 7 (without security support) for this
> same reason.
>
> If only DuFuS could read with comprehension and actually comment on what was
> written instead of going instantly into his boiler plate rant with his
> chickenshit hyperbolic tactics and lying insinuations.
>
> Gee I wonder why DuFuS is a permanent denizen of my killfile?

Meh, I like his posts so I wouldn't be able to killfile him.