7 May, 2024: fms is rebuilding. Don't expect much in that section for quite a few days, maybe longer.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube

SubjectAuthor
* VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Edmund
+* Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Chris Elvidge
|`* Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Edmund
| +* Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Paul
| |+- Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Killadebug
| |`* Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Edmund
| | `* Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Paul
| |  `* Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Edmund
| |   `* Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Paul
| |    `- Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Joerg Walther
| `* Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Chris Elvidge
|  `* Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Edmund
|   +* Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Joerg Walther
|   |+* Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Edmund
|   ||`* Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Chris Elvidge
|   || `- Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Edmund
|   |`* Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Nic
|   | `* Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Joerg Walther
|   |  +* Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Nic
|   |  |+- Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Paul
|   |  |`- Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried YoutubeJack Strangio
|   |  `- Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Nic
|   `* Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Paul
|    `* Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Edmund
|     `* Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Paul
|      `* Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Edmund
|       `* Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Paul
|        `* Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Edmund
|         `- Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Paul
+- Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Dr. Noah Bodie
`- Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.Nic

Pages:12
Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.

<us2ifh$2l78s$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7795&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7795

From: nomail@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube
Downloader Plus.
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 20:18:33 +0100
 by: Edmund - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 19:18 UTC

On 3/3/24 19:46, Paul wrote:
> On 3/3/2024 8:06 AM, Edmund wrote:

>>> Done and dusted. 7:41AM. (See other post, did it the complicated way.)
>>>
>>> Like it says, ctrl-v and paste a URL into it.
>>
>> Paste a url into "IT"??? there is no "it".
>> Thats the whole problem  there is nothing to be found how to start the program.
>
> $ which ytdownloader

No idea what you are talking about

> /snap/bin/ytdownloader

I don't have such a directory

> $ ytdownloader

command not found

> The green bar in the GUI,

No command no program so also no GUI or green bar.

tells you to click the window (so the
> window has focus), then do ctrl-V to paste your URL of the
> thing you want to download.
>
> [Picture] Video of a robot making coffee using a Keurig
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/YS2qBbpf/ytdownloader-snap.gif

Unreadable! Maybe you know a secret command to start it.

--
-------------
FREE ASSANGE

Edmund

Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.

<Pw6FN.142320$46Te.36090@fx38.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7797&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7797

Downloader Plus.
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic@none.invalid (Nic)
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 17:07:43 -0500
 by: Nic - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 22:07 UTC

On 3/3/24 9:21 AM, Joerg Walther wrote:
> Nic wrote:
>
>>> It couldn't be easier: in a terminal write
>>> yt-dlp Youtube-URL
>> Will it covert to mp4?
> Given the right options, it will:
> https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp#readme
>
> -jw-

Please don't confuse my dislike for complexity with my impression of the
incredible program features. As long as one remembers to open a terminal
window in the directory you want the video to be saved. It supposedly
save's in a format it thinks is best available. With the example I tried
it  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQZ6vOQYdcs downloaded and saved in
..webm ...

Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.

<us4ngj$36s38$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7800&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7800

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Downloader Plus.
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 09:57:22 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 14:57 UTC

On 3/3/2024 2:18 PM, Edmund wrote:

>>     [Picture]  Video of a robot making coffee using a Keurig
>>
>>      https://i.postimg.cc/YS2qBbpf/ytdownloader-snap.gif
>
> Unreadable! Maybe you know a secret command to start it.

As a Linux user, I presume you know what this is.

sudo synaptic

Let's say that doesn't work. If this were Ubuntu, they don't
want us to use Synaptic, and the recipe there is:

sudo add-apt-repository universe
sudo add-apt-repository multiverse
sudo apt update # Reload repo package info
sudo apt install synaptic
sudo synaptic

On Mint that should not be necessary. Synaptic should already
be there.

Let's go to the Terminal. Say I check for the existence of "snap"

bullwinkle@LMDE6TST:~$ snap list
Command 'snap' not found, but can be installed with:
sudo apt install snapd
bullwinkle@LMDE6TST:~$

What would I do next. I'd install it. But let's go to synaptic
and install it there. In the Synaptic window, search for "snapd"
without the double quotes. The reason we do this, is to be doubly
sure this is what we want. And we can see the vanilla "snap" entry
is the wrong one. That's why we're installing snapd.

sudo synaptic

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/yx4qV6FC/install-snapd-to-get-snap-command.gif

Now, we can do the additional steps.

snap list # ecosystem not loaded yet, but it soon will be...

snap search ytdownloader

snap install ytdownloader

You can see it is warning me my path isn't updated. I will reboot as a precaution.
To give it every chance to pick up the pieces. It's even possible the executable
is in my path twice.

bullwinkle@LMDE6TST:~$ snap install ytdownloader
2024-03-04T09:34:42-05:00 INFO Waiting for automatic snapd restart...
Warning: /snap/bin was not found in your $PATH. If you've not restarted your session since you
installed snapd, try doing that. Please see https://forum.snapcraft.io/t/9469 for more
details.
ytdownloader 3.17.3 from Andrew (aandreww) installed

bullwinkle@LMDE6TST:~$

After the reboot, I test in Terminal:

bullwinkle@LMDE6TST:~$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games:/snap/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
^^^^^^^^^
bullwinkle@LMDE6TST:~$ ls -al /snap/bin
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Mar 4 09:38 ytdownloader -> /usr/bin/snap

But the loopback mount will also show a storage area.

bullwinkle@LMDE6TST:~$ cat /etc/mtab
/dev/loop6 /snap/ytdownloader/82 squashfs ro,nodev,relatime,errors=continue 0 0

bullwinkle@LMDE6TST:/snap/ytdownloader/current$ ls -1
chrome_100_percent.pak
ytdownloader <=== That's the actual program, which is also in your $PATH at this point.

bullwinkle@LMDE6TST:~$ which ytdownloader
/snap/bin/ytdownloader
bullwinkle@LMDE6TST:~$ ytdownloader <=== run it

Paul

Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.

<us4ofd$3727a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7801&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7801

From: nomail@hotmail.com (Edmund)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Downloader Plus.
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 16:13:08 +0100
 by: Edmund - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 15:13 UTC

On 3/4/24 15:57, Paul wrote:
> [...]
> details.
> ytdownloader 3.17.3 from Andrew (aandreww) installed
>
> bullwinkle@LMDE6TST:~$
>
> After the reboot, I test in Terminal:
>
> bullwinkle@LMDE6TST:~$ echo $PATH
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games:/snap/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
> ^^^^^^^^^
> bullwinkle@LMDE6TST:~$ ls -al /snap/bin
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Mar 4 09:38 ytdownloader -> /usr/bin/snap
>
> But the loopback mount will also show a storage area.
>
> bullwinkle@LMDE6TST:~$ cat /etc/mtab
> /dev/loop6 /snap/ytdownloader/82 squashfs ro,nodev,relatime,errors=continue 0 0
>
> bullwinkle@LMDE6TST:/snap/ytdownloader/current$ ls -1
> chrome_100_percent.pak
> ytdownloader <=== That's the actual program, which is also in your $PATH at this point.

I put my glasses on and found it.
Under "all applications"

It can be started via terminal with :

/usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=run.sh
io.github.aandrew_me.ytdn

Still dont know how to find it with a search tool/command

--
-------------
FREE ASSANGE
Amnesty for Assange
Amnesty for Snowden
Rehabilitation for hero’s

Edmund

Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube Downloader Plus.

<us57ca$3acul$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7804&group=alt.os.linux.mint#7804

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Downloader Plus.
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 14:28:10 -0500
 by: Paul - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 19:28 UTC

On 3/4/2024 10:13 AM, Edmund wrote:

> [...]
>>     lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   13 Mar  4 09:38 ytdownloader -> /usr/bin/snap
>>
>> But the loopback mount will also show a storage area.
>>
>>     bullwinkle@LMDE6TST:~$ cat /etc/mtab
>>     /dev/loop6 /snap/ytdownloader/82 squashfs ro,nodev,relatime,errors=continue 0 0
>>
>>     bullwinkle@LMDE6TST:/snap/ytdownloader/current$ ls -1
>>     chrome_100_percent.pak
>>     ytdownloader             <=== That's the actual program, which is also in your $PATH at this point.
>>
>>     bullwinkle@LMDE6TST:~$ which ytdownloader
>>     /snap/bin/ytdownloader
>>     bullwinkle@LMDE6TST:~$ ytdownloader         <=== run it
>>
>>    Paul
>
> I put my glasses on and found it.
> Under "all applications"
>
> It can be started via terminal with :
>
> /usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=run.sh io.github.aandrew_me.ytdn
>
> Still dont know how to find it with a search tool/command

I found the Flatpak search a bit weird.

I searched on "aandrew" and found it that way.
Using "ytdownloader" didn't work.

Paul

Re: VideoDownloader doesn't work anymore so I tried Youtube

<sA9sG4.2tD@yahoo.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8080&group=alt.os.linux.mint#8080

From: jackstrangio@yahoo.com (Jack Strangio)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 04:58:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jack Strangio - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 04:58 UTC

Nic <Nic@none.invalid> writes:

> >> Will it covert to mp4?
> > Given the right options, it will:
> > https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp#readme
> >
> > -jw-
> >
> way too complicated...is there a gui frontend?

I haven't looked recently, but 'ClipGrab' used to be a frontend.

Regards,

Jack
--
They call me 007 at work: