To Perl, or not to Perl, that is the kvetching. -- Larry Wall in <199801200310.TAA11670@wall.org>

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / Foray into FreeBSD

SubjectAuthor
* Foray into FreeBSDChris Ahlstrom
+* Re: Foray into FreeBSDFarley Flud
|`- Re: Foray into FreeBSDvallor
`* Re: Foray into FreeBSDRonB
 `* Re: Foray into FreeBSDChris Ahlstrom
  `* Re: Foray into FreeBSDRonB
   +* Re: Foray into FreeBSDRabidPedagog
   |+- Re: Foray into FreeBSDChris Ahlstrom
   |`* Re: Foray into FreeBSDLawrence D'Oliveiro
   | `* Re: Foray into FreeBSDChris Ahlstrom
   |  `- Re: Foray into FreeBSDLawrence D'Oliveiro
   `* Re: Foray into FreeBSDLawrence D'Oliveiro
    +* Re: Foray into FreeBSDRonB
    |`* Re: Foray into FreeBSDrbowman
    | +- Re: Foray into FreeBSDRabidPedagog
    | +* Re: Foray into FreeBSDRabidPedagog
    | |`- Re: Foray into FreeBSDJoel
    | +- Re: Foray into FreeBSDRonB
    | `- Re: Foray into FreeBSDChris Ahlstrom
    `* Re: Foray into FreeBSDchrisv
     `* Re: Foray into FreeBSDcandycanearter07
      +- Re: Foray into FreeBSDJoel
      `* Re: Foray into FreeBSDRabidPedagog
       `* Re: Foray into FreeBSDChris Ahlstrom
        +* Re: Foray into FreeBSDChris Ahlstrom
        |`- Re: Foray into FreeBSDDFS
        `* Re: Foray into FreeBSDchrisv
         +- Re: Foray into FreeBSDChris Ahlstrom
         `* Re: Foray into FreeBSDRabidPedagog
          +- Re: Foray into FreeBSDChris Ahlstrom
          `* Re: Foray into FreeBSDchrisv
           +* Re: Foray into FreeBSDFarley Flud
           |+- Re: Foray into FreeBSDDFS
           |`- Re: Foray into FreeBSDStéphane CARPENTIER
           `- Re: Foray into FreeBSDRabidPedagog

Pages:12
Foray into FreeBSD

<uns5e7$3j0gb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7625&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#7625

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Foray into FreeBSD
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 14:54:46 -0500
Njn mr93Xrerx}aQG-Ap5IHn"xe;`5:pp"$RH>Kx_ngWw%c\+6qSg!q"41n2[.N/;Pu6q8?+Poz~e
A9? $6_R7cm.l!s8]yfv7x+-FYQ|/k
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 19:54 UTC

Many years ago I borrowed a crap box from work and installed FreeBSD on it just
for fun. It was interesting, but I had to return it for DRMO.

Recently I got a bug report from someone trying to build my MIDI project in
FreeBSD, and getting errors from the clang compiler(s) (C and C++). So the
first thing I did was figure out how to build with clang on the old Linux
laptop and the newer one, and got rid of the errors and most of the warnings.

But it was pretty obvious I needed to use FreeBSD. I started with a VM running
in Qemu. That. Was. Painful. And. Slowwwww. Some weird issues involving Qt's
port to FreeBSD 14 also surfaced.

I grabbed a spare SSD and put it in a cheapo USB 3 box and installed FreeBSD
13. Much faster! I basically replicated my Linux setup so I could work
comfortably and enjoy SomaFM while doing it. Set up mutt and slrn, too :-D

Started with using automake/configure to build, but (only) the QT_CXXFLAGS and
QT_LIBS macros come up empty, haven't figured out why. Also the ALSA headers,
though installed, weren't detected. Luckily, I had built an alternate
qmake-based setup awhile back, and that worked.

The main sound engine for BSD is OSS; an ALSA audio wrapper and ALSA sequencer
server are provided. However, the USB MIDI devices don't show up in it. Damn.
Would like to figure that out at some point.

The JACK code for FreeBSD works well; I was able to install jack-keyboard and
qsynth and get tunes to play. However, a2jmidid does not work to export the
USB devices (Launchpad Mini, Korg nanoKEY2).

So I got work to do yet.

--
Be free and open and breezy! Enjoy! Things won't get any better so
get used to it.

Re: Foray into FreeBSD

<17a9b3a89f75355a$6723$2154774$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7635&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#7635

From: ff@linux.rocks (Farley Flud)
Subject: Re: Foray into FreeBSD
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 20:31:10 +0000
 by: Farley Flud - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 20:31 UTC

On Fri, 12 Jan 2024 14:54:46 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Many years ago I borrowed a crap box from work and installed FreeBSD on it just
> for fun.

I am always thinking of installing FreeBSDBSD but have not yet gotten around
to do it.

FreeBSD may be mandatory once the corporate interests reduce Linux to a
useless Windoze clone.

> The main sound engine for BSD is OSS;

OSS is also available for GNU/Linux and it is very good except for
sound card coverage, but it does handle the Intel HD quite well.

However, I could not compile the latest v4.2-build2020. It does
not work with the latest kernels and needs patching but the
developers are silent.

Re: Foray into FreeBSD

<uns813$3jc63$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7636&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#7636

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 20:38:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 20:38 UTC

On 2024-01-12, Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us> wrote:
> Many years ago I borrowed a crap box from work and installed FreeBSD on it just
> for fun. It was interesting, but I had to return it for DRMO.
>
> Recently I got a bug report from someone trying to build my MIDI project in
> FreeBSD, and getting errors from the clang compiler(s) (C and C++). So the
> first thing I did was figure out how to build with clang on the old Linux
> laptop and the newer one, and got rid of the errors and most of the warnings.
>
> But it was pretty obvious I needed to use FreeBSD. I started with a VM running
> in Qemu. That. Was. Painful. And. Slowwwww. Some weird issues involving Qt's
> port to FreeBSD 14 also surfaced.
>
> I grabbed a spare SSD and put it in a cheapo USB 3 box and installed FreeBSD
> 13. Much faster! I basically replicated my Linux setup so I could work
> comfortably and enjoy SomaFM while doing it. Set up mutt and slrn, too :-D
>
> Started with using automake/configure to build, but (only) the QT_CXXFLAGS and
> QT_LIBS macros come up empty, haven't figured out why. Also the ALSA headers,
> though installed, weren't detected. Luckily, I had built an alternate
> qmake-based setup awhile back, and that worked.
>
> The main sound engine for BSD is OSS; an ALSA audio wrapper and ALSA sequencer
> server are provided. However, the USB MIDI devices don't show up in it. Damn.
> Would like to figure that out at some point.
>
> The JACK code for FreeBSD works well; I was able to install jack-keyboard and
> qsynth and get tunes to play. However, a2jmidid does not work to export the
> USB devices (Launchpad Mini, Korg nanoKEY2).
>
> So I got work to do yet.

That's kind of a funny coincidence. I replaced an Optiplex 3020m motherboard
with an Optiplex 9020m motherboard (which has an extra M.2 SSD slot the
3020m only has a standard 2.5" Sata port). So I picked up a cheap 256gb M.2
Sata SSD used on eBay and tried to figure out what I wanted to put on it.
Not Windows. I never use it, so it be more wasted of space. So I installed
GhostBSD. I picked it because it was basically the "Linux Mint" of FreeBSDs
(or at least I thought it was).

It was actually really simple to install, and was fast once installed. I
installed Emacs, and Fountain-Mode, did some of my regular customizations
(it comes default with the Mate desktop, so I knew it pretty well). But I
couldn't install some stuff I consider necessary. Simplenote, Trelby and a
few others. There was supposed to be a way to make it work with Linux
applications, but it looked like work and I'm at the age where I just want
to use the computer. One thing that irritated me is that it would not see
when a headphone was plugged into the headphone jack. (Which on the 9020m is
the only sound jack, though it has an interior speaker.) So I would have to
go to Sound and tell it to output to the headphones every time (just once at
each boot).

I finally just decided to install the newest available version of Linux Mint
(21.2). That way I could start moving my files over from Linux Mint 20.3 a
bit at a time. So I dual boot two versions of Linux Mint on that computer.
(Actually the computer tri-boots as I have a small Windows 10 partition on
the SSD drive, which is there because the computer came with it.)

For my desktop purposes there's really no reason to use FreeBSD (or
GhostBSD). There are many more applications easily available in Linux and
installation is extremely easy.

--
"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."
-- Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

Re: Foray into FreeBSD

<unu03p$3u961$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7665&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#7665

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 07:36:09 -0500
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 12:36 UTC

RonB wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 2024-01-12, Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us> wrote:
>> Many years ago I borrowed a crap box from work and installed FreeBSD on it just
>> for fun. It was interesting, but I had to return it for DRMO.
>>
>> . . .
>
> That's kind of a funny coincidence. I replaced an Optiplex 3020m motherboard
> with an Optiplex 9020m motherboard (which has an extra M.2 SSD slot the
> 3020m only has a standard 2.5" Sata port). So I picked up a cheap 256gb M.2
> Sata SSD used on eBay and tried to figure out what I wanted to put on it.
> Not Windows. I never use it, so it be more wasted of space. So I installed
> GhostBSD. I picked it because it was basically the "Linux Mint" of FreeBSDs
> (or at least I thought it was).
>
> It was actually really simple to install, and was fast once installed. I
> installed Emacs, and Fountain-Mode, did some of my regular customizations
> (it comes default with the Mate desktop, so I knew it pretty well). But I
> couldn't install some stuff I consider necessary. Simplenote, Trelby and a
> few others. There was supposed to be a way to make it work with Linux
> applications, but it looked like work and I'm at the age where I just want
> to use the computer. One thing that irritated me is that it would not see
> when a headphone was plugged into the headphone jack. (Which on the 9020m is
> the only sound jack, though it has an interior speaker.) So I would have to
> go to Sound and tell it to output to the headphones every time (just once at
> each boot).
>
> I finally just decided to install the newest available version of Linux Mint
> (21.2). That way I could start moving my files over from Linux Mint 20.3 a
> bit at a time. So I dual boot two versions of Linux Mint on that computer.
> (Actually the computer tri-boots as I have a small Windows 10 partition on
> the SSD drive, which is there because the computer came with it.)
>
> For my desktop purposes there's really no reason to use FreeBSD (or
> GhostBSD). There are many more applications easily available in Linux and
> installation is extremely easy.

It's kind of funny to read the FreeBSD guys complain about Linux in a manner
similar to Linux guys complaining about Windows. :-D

Saw one thread where they were lauding OSS and dissing ALSA.

--
Something's rotten in the state of Denmark.
-- Shakespeare

Re: Foray into FreeBSD

<unu42r$3ustm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7669&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#7669

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 13:43:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 13:43 UTC

On 2024-01-13, Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us> wrote:
> RonB wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> On 2024-01-12, Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us> wrote:
>>> Many years ago I borrowed a crap box from work and installed FreeBSD on it just
>>> for fun. It was interesting, but I had to return it for DRMO.
>>>
>>> . . .
>>
>> That's kind of a funny coincidence. I replaced an Optiplex 3020m motherboard
>> with an Optiplex 9020m motherboard (which has an extra M.2 SSD slot the
>> 3020m only has a standard 2.5" Sata port). So I picked up a cheap 256gb M.2
>> Sata SSD used on eBay and tried to figure out what I wanted to put on it.
>> Not Windows. I never use it, so it be more wasted of space. So I installed
>> GhostBSD. I picked it because it was basically the "Linux Mint" of FreeBSDs
>> (or at least I thought it was).
>>
>> It was actually really simple to install, and was fast once installed. I
>> installed Emacs, and Fountain-Mode, did some of my regular customizations
>> (it comes default with the Mate desktop, so I knew it pretty well). But I
>> couldn't install some stuff I consider necessary. Simplenote, Trelby and a
>> few others. There was supposed to be a way to make it work with Linux
>> applications, but it looked like work and I'm at the age where I just want
>> to use the computer. One thing that irritated me is that it would not see
>> when a headphone was plugged into the headphone jack. (Which on the 9020m is
>> the only sound jack, though it has an interior speaker.) So I would have to
>> go to Sound and tell it to output to the headphones every time (just once at
>> each boot).
>>
>> I finally just decided to install the newest available version of Linux Mint
>> (21.2). That way I could start moving my files over from Linux Mint 20.3 a
>> bit at a time. So I dual boot two versions of Linux Mint on that computer.
>> (Actually the computer tri-boots as I have a small Windows 10 partition on
>> the SSD drive, which is there because the computer came with it.)
>>
>> For my desktop purposes there's really no reason to use FreeBSD (or
>> GhostBSD). There are many more applications easily available in Linux and
>> installation is extremely easy.
>
> It's kind of funny to read the FreeBSD guys complain about Linux in a manner
> similar to Linux guys complaining about Windows. :-D
>
> Saw one thread where they were lauding OSS and dissing ALSA.

I think I could make FreeBSD work for me if I had to, but Linux Mint is just
easier and it runs some applications that either aren't available on FreeBSD
or I would have to know something about compiling source code to get them to
work. If I was 15 years younger I would probably enjoy the challenge. Linux
Mint has made me lazy.

--
"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."
-- Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

Re: Foray into FreeBSD

<uVwoN.38424$Iswd.17668@fx05.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7672&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#7672

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 09:14:50 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 14:14 UTC

On 1/13/24 08:43, RonB wrote:
> On 2024-01-13, Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us> wrote:
>> RonB wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> That's kind of a funny coincidence. I replaced an Optiplex 3020m motherboard
>>> with an Optiplex 9020m motherboard (which has an extra M.2 SSD slot the
>>> 3020m only has a standard 2.5" Sata port). So I picked up a cheap 256gb M.2
>>> Sata SSD used on eBay and tried to figure out what I wanted to put on it.
>>> Not Windows. I never use it, so it be more wasted of space. So I installed
>>> GhostBSD. I picked it because it was basically the "Linux Mint" of FreeBSDs
>>> (or at least I thought it was).
>>>
>>> It was actually really simple to install, and was fast once installed. I
>>> installed Emacs, and Fountain-Mode, did some of my regular customizations
>>> (it comes default with the Mate desktop, so I knew it pretty well). But I
>>> couldn't install some stuff I consider necessary. Simplenote, Trelby and a
>>> few others. There was supposed to be a way to make it work with Linux
>>> applications, but it looked like work and I'm at the age where I just want
>>> to use the computer. One thing that irritated me is that it would not see
>>> when a headphone was plugged into the headphone jack. (Which on the 9020m is
>>> the only sound jack, though it has an interior speaker.) So I would have to
>>> go to Sound and tell it to output to the headphones every time (just once at
>>> each boot).
>>>
>>> I finally just decided to install the newest available version of Linux Mint
>>> (21.2). That way I could start moving my files over from Linux Mint 20.3 a
>>> bit at a time. So I dual boot two versions of Linux Mint on that computer.
>>> (Actually the computer tri-boots as I have a small Windows 10 partition on
>>> the SSD drive, which is there because the computer came with it.)
>>>
>>> For my desktop purposes there's really no reason to use FreeBSD (or
>>> GhostBSD). There are many more applications easily available in Linux and
>>> installation is extremely easy.
>>
>> It's kind of funny to read the FreeBSD guys complain about Linux in a manner
>> similar to Linux guys complaining about Windows. :-D
>>
>> Saw one thread where they were lauding OSS and dissing ALSA.
>
> I think I could make FreeBSD work for me if I had to, but Linux Mint is just
> easier and it runs some applications that either aren't available on FreeBSD
> or I would have to know something about compiling source code to get them to
> work. If I was 15 years younger I would probably enjoy the challenge. Linux
> Mint has made me lazy.

I've read up on this over the last few years and can honestly say that
there is no advantage whatsoever migrating over to any of the BSDs over
Linux.

--
RabidPedagog
Catholic paleoconservative

Re: Foray into FreeBSD

<unu8p9$3vjo7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7677&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#7677

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 10:04:09 -0500
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 15:04 UTC

RabidPedagog wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 1/13/24 08:43, RonB wrote:

>>> It's kind of funny to read the FreeBSD guys complain about Linux in a manner
>>> similar to Linux guys complaining about Windows. :-D
>>>
>>> Saw one thread where they were lauding OSS and dissing ALSA.
>>
>> I think I could make FreeBSD work for me if I had to, but Linux Mint is just
>> easier and it runs some applications that either aren't available on FreeBSD
>> or I would have to know something about compiling source code to get them to
>> work. If I was 15 years younger I would probably enjoy the challenge. Linux
>> Mint has made me lazy.
>
> I've read up on this over the last few years and can honestly say that
> there is no advantage whatsoever migrating over to any of the BSDs over
> Linux.

There might be a use on the server side. On the client side, well, if your
"customer" uses a BSD, might wanna support that.

--
Try to value useful qualities in one who loves you.

Re: Foray into FreeBSD

<uo10ji$gf8f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7756&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#7756

From: vallor@cultnix.org (vallor)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 16:02:59 -0000 (UTC)
XL'`91kd%N::LG:=*\35JS0prp\VJN^<s"b#bff@fA7]5lJA.jn,x_d%Md$,{.EZ
 by: vallor - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 16:02 UTC

On Fri, 12 Jan 2024 20:31:10 +0000, Farley Flud <ff@linux.rocks> wrote in
<17a9b3a89f75355a$6723$2154774$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>:

> On Fri, 12 Jan 2024 14:54:46 -0500, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> Many years ago I borrowed a crap box from work and installed FreeBSD on
>> it just for fun.
>>

> I am always thinking of installing FreeBSDBSD but have not yet gotten
> around to do it.
>
> FreeBSD may be mandatory once the corporate interests reduce Linux to a
> useless Windoze clone.
>

>> The main sound engine for BSD is OSS;
>>

> OSS is also available for GNU/Linux and it is very good except for sound
> card coverage, but it does handle the Intel HD quite well.
>
> However, I could not compile the latest v4.2-build2020. It does not
> work with the latest kernels and needs patching but the developers are
> silent.

...and "silent", no doubt, because they don't have working
OSS drivers.

("I don't care who you are, that thar's funny...")

--
-v

Re: Foray into FreeBSD

<uo4ntg$15774$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7919&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#7919

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 01:59:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lawrence D'Oliv - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 01:59 UTC

On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 13:43:55 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:

> Linux Mint has made me lazy.

There’s one measure of success, if ever there was one.

Re: Foray into FreeBSD

<uo4nue$15774$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7920&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#7920

From: ldo@nz.invalid (Lawrence D'Oliveiro)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 01:59:42 -0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 09:14:50 -0500, RabidPedagog wrote:

> there is no advantage whatsoever migrating over to any of the BSDs over
> Linux.

Greater diversity on Linux, greater fragmentation on BSD.

Re: Foray into FreeBSD

<uo5eli$1bsob$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7940&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#7940

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 08:27:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 08:27 UTC

On 2024-01-16, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 13:43:55 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:
>
>> Linux Mint has made me lazy.
>
> There’s one measure of success, if ever there was one.

It means I like to do things on my computer, not just perpetually maintain
it.

--
"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."
-- Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

Re: Foray into FreeBSD

<lrvcqidg0au6u3f61epg5jhli8t4i7g45n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7959&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#7959

From: chrisv@nospam.invalid (chrisv)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 07:10:11 -0600
 by: chrisv - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 13:10 UTC

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> RonB wrote:
>>
>> Linux Mint has made me lazy.
>
> There’s one measure of success, if ever there was one.

Was that sarcasm? From some perspectives, that is a measure of
success. We currently have at least one person in cola asserting that
normal people want their PC to be appliance-like.

--
"Then you say GNU/Linux is an OS, but ceases to be once
distributed..." - some thing, lying shamelessly (but no one can

Re: Foray into FreeBSD

<uo5vl3$1f0o2$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7963&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#7963

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 08:17:23 -0500
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 13:17 UTC

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 09:14:50 -0500, RabidPedagog wrote:
>
>> there is no advantage whatsoever migrating over to any of the BSDs over
>> Linux.
>
> Greater diversity on Linux, greater fragmentation on BSD.

Not so sure about that.

One thing I will note. When I install packages from FreeBSD Ports, I often see
something to this effect: "this package currently has no maintainer and
might go away... any volunteers?".

So I suspect the developer base for FreeBSD is quite a bit smaller than that of
Linux.

--
He that is giddy thinks the world turns round.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Taming of the Shrew"

Re: Foray into FreeBSD

<l0nvp1F838gU7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7985&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#7985

From: bowman@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 16 Jan 2024 18:21:22 GMT
 by: rbowman - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 18:21 UTC

On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 08:27:30 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:

> On 2024-01-16, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid> wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 13:43:55 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:
>>
>>> Linux Mint has made me lazy.
>>
>> There’s one measure of success, if ever there was one.
>
> It means I like to do things on my computer, not just perpetually
> maintain it.

I truly don't miss having to hunt down xorg.conf to change my mouse to
left handed or guess at the monitor parameters. The thrill wore off
building everything from tarballs a long time ago. Hacking out my own
kernel and configuring grub to use it sort of lost its magic. Yeah, I've
gotten lazy in my old age too.

Re: Foray into FreeBSD

<daBpN.193005$c3Ea.164465@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7995&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#7995

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 14:54:49 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 19:54 UTC

On 2024-01-16 1:21 p.m., rbowman wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 08:27:30 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:

>>> There’s one measure of success, if ever there was one.
>>
>> It means I like to do things on my computer, not just perpetually
>> maintain it.
>
> I truly don't miss having to hunt down xorg.conf to change my mouse to
> left handed or guess at the monitor parameters. The thrill wore off
> building everything from tarballs a long time ago. Hacking out my own
> kernel and configuring grub to use it sort of lost its magic. Yeah, I've
> gotten lazy in my old age too.

That was unbearable. At least you didn't have to do it again after it
was already done.

--
RabidPedagog
Catholic paleoconservative

Re: Foray into FreeBSD

<abBpN.193006$c3Ea.16441@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7996&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#7996

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 14:55:50 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 19:55 UTC

On 2024-01-16 1:21 p.m., rbowman wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 08:27:30 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:

>>> There’s one measure of success, if ever there was one.
>>
>> It means I like to do things on my computer, not just perpetually
>> maintain it.
>
> I truly don't miss having to hunt down xorg.conf to change my mouse to
> left handed or guess at the monitor parameters. The thrill wore off
> building everything from tarballs a long time ago. Hacking out my own
> kernel and configuring grub to use it sort of lost its magic. Yeah, I've
> gotten lazy in my old age too.

We all have, that's why Linux Mint is quite stellar in bringing a
usually complex system into convenience.

--
RabidPedagog
Catholic paleoconservative

Re: Foray into FreeBSD

<atndqidqs4livnohtq50pja7ctaup7pjju@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=7997&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#7997

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 14:58:34 -0500
 by: Joel - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 19:58 UTC

RabidPedagog <rabid@pedag.og> wrote:

>Linux Mint is quite stellar in bringing a
>usually complex system into convenience.

I'm more than satisfied with Mint Cinnamon, I couldn't come up with a
better OS. It's just going so well.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: Foray into FreeBSD

<uo6t96$1kc9l$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8016&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8016

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 21:43:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 21:43 UTC

On 2024-01-16, rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 08:27:30 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:

>>> There’s one measure of success, if ever there was one.
>>
>> It means I like to do things on my computer, not just perpetually
>> maintain it.
>
> I truly don't miss having to hunt down xorg.conf to change my mouse to
> left handed or guess at the monitor parameters. The thrill wore off
> building everything from tarballs a long time ago. Hacking out my own
> kernel and configuring grub to use it sort of lost its magic. Yeah, I've
> gotten lazy in my old age too.

Linux Mint does what I want it to do — although I still do some customizing.

--
"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."
-- Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

Re: Foray into FreeBSD

<uo75va$1lnlc$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8033&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8033

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 19:11:22 -0500
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 00:11 UTC

rbowman wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 08:27:30 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:

>>> There’s one measure of success, if ever there was one.
>>
>> It means I like to do things on my computer, not just perpetually
>> maintain it.
>
> I truly don't miss having to hunt down xorg.conf to change my mouse to
> left handed or guess at the monitor parameters. The thrill wore off
> building everything from tarballs a long time ago. Hacking out my own
> kernel and configuring grub to use it sort of lost its magic. Yeah, I've
> gotten lazy in my old age too.

I sometimes have to modify my .xbindkeysrc to account for differences in mpd
(I associate keys to calls to mpc to do things like stop/start playback and go
to the next tune in the playlist.) Same for my fluxbox keys file.

I set up keys that work pretty much with any keyboard, no matter how limited.
They all vary so much.

It's fairly easy to get most of my keystrokes to work on FreeBSD too. Just tar
up the .* files and extract them to the target /home directory.

--
If you learn one useless thing every day, in a single year you'll learn
365 useless things.

Re: Foray into FreeBSD

<uo9160$245kq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8090&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8090

From: no@thanks.net (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:01:52 -0600
 by: candycanearter07 - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:01 UTC

On 1/16/24 07:10, chrisv wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> RonB wrote:
>>>
>>> Linux Mint has made me lazy.
>>
>> There’s one measure of success, if ever there was one.
>
> Was that sarcasm? From some perspectives, that is a measure of
> success. We currently have at least one person in cola asserting that
> normal people want their PC to be appliance-like.

I agree honestly.

Re: Foray into FreeBSD

<th2gqi9o9el017d6vj7ans65fr1e75dret@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8092&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8092

From: joelcrump@gmail.com (Joel)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 12:15:10 -0500
 by: Joel - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:15 UTC

candycanearter07 <no@thanks.net> wrote:
>On 1/16/24 07:10, chrisv wrote:
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> There’s one measure of success, if ever there was one.
>>
>> Was that sarcasm? From some perspectives, that is a measure of
>> success. We currently have at least one person in cola asserting that
>> normal people want their PC to be appliance-like.
>
>I agree honestly.

I'm not sure Mint makes me lazy, not everything is just built in, you
still need a terminal window, you still need System Monitor, to do and
work with certain things. But it is "easy", as such, to install and
use, in the basic ways, I grant. But the interface, with Cinnamon, is
number one, every bit as good as Win11.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent. States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.

Re: Foray into FreeBSD

<zgUpN.218034$PuZ9.67382@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8093&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8093

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: rabid@pedag.og (RabidPedagog)
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 12:38:39 -0500
 by: RabidPedagog - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:38 UTC

On 2024-01-17 12:01 p.m., candycanearter07 wrote:
> On 1/16/24 07:10, chrisv wrote:
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> There’s one measure of success, if ever there was one.
>>
>> Was that sarcasm?  From some perspectives, that is a measure of
>> success.  We currently have at least one person in cola asserting that
>> normal people want their PC to be appliance-like.
>
> I agree honestly.

Unfortunately, and especially because I see how adolescents use their
computers, I am tempted to agree. Technical users are going to become
extinct with time.

--
RabidPedagog
Catholic paleoconservative

Re: Foray into FreeBSD

<uo9g9p$26s9n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8096&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8096

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 16:19:53 -0500
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 21:19 UTC

RabidPedagog wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 2024-01-17 12:01 p.m., candycanearter07 wrote:

>>> Was that sarcasm?  From some perspectives, that is a measure of
>>> success.  We currently have at least one person in cola asserting that
>>> normal people want their PC to be appliance-like.
>>
>> I agree honestly.
>
> Unfortunately, and especially because I see how adolescents use their
> computers, I am tempted to agree. Technical users are going to become
> extinct with time.

Nah, there will always be a need for technical users.

- Computer designers (hello Taiwan :-D)
- Programmers
- Engineers
- Sys Admins and Help Deskers
- Teachers of the above
- . . .

Plus there will always be people like us who love to dig into computers.

--
Whoever has lived long enough to find out what life is, knows how deep a debt
of gratitude we owe to Adam, the first great benefactor of our race. He

Re: Foray into FreeBSD

<uo9lmv$27n6g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8100&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8100

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:52:15 -0500
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 22:52 UTC

So I poweroff and unplug the bootable FreeBSD external drive. Power up.
Enter my login into the sddm prompt. Nothing, just a mouse.

I poke around and find that mounting the Linux home partition in FreeBSD had,
due to a mistake in my mounting script, set the ownership of the Linux home to
a user with ID 1001, not 1000, since FreeBSD starts the user IDs with 1001
instead of 1000.

A "chown -R" fixed things quick.

Live and learn.

--
Water, taken in moderation cannot hurt anybody.
-- Mark Twain

Re: Foray into FreeBSD

<ijsgqitfuomnu66qhtk90pa9fe9q0953v8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=8106&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#8106

From: chrisv@nospam.invalid (chrisv)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 18:37:23 -0600
 by: chrisv - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 00:37 UTC

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Slime wrote:
>>
>> Technical users are going to become extinct with time.
>
>Nah, there will always be a need for technical users.
>
> - Computer designers (hello Taiwan :-D)
> - Programmers
> - Engineers
> - Sys Admins and Help Deskers
> - Teachers of the above
> - . . .

Of course. *Someone* needs to know how things work.

--
"This is common in COLA... people see me as more knowledgeable than
they do most others... your actions show YOU do." - some thing,