7 May, 2024: fms is rebuilding. Don't expect much in that section for quite a few days, maybe longer.

computers / alt.os.linux.mint / Thunderbird v115

SubjectAuthor
* Thunderbird v115Jeff Layman
+* Re: Thunderbird v115Big Al
|+* Re: Thunderbird v115Nic
||+- Re: Thunderbird v115Paul
||`* Re: Thunderbird v115Big Al
|| +- Re: Thunderbird v115Paul
|| `* Re: Thunderbird v115Nic
||  `* Re: Thunderbird v115Big Al
||   +- Re: Thunderbird v115Nic
||   `* Re: Thunderbird v115dbnnet
||    `* Re: Thunderbird v115Big Al
||     `* Re: Thunderbird v115dbnnet
||      `* Re: Thunderbird v115dbnnet
||       `* Re: Thunderbird v115Big Al
||        `- Re: Thunderbird v115dbnnet
|`* Re: Thunderbird v115Mike Scott
| `* Re: Thunderbird v115Big Al
|  +* Re: Thunderbird v115Gordon
|  |`- Re: Thunderbird v115Big Al
|  `* Re: Thunderbird v115Mike Scott
|   +* Re: Thunderbird v115Big Al
|   |`* Re: Thunderbird v115RonB
|   | `* Re: Thunderbird v115Big Al
|   |  `* Re: Thunderbird v115RonB
|   |   `- Re: Thunderbird v115Big Al
|   `- Re: Thunderbird v115RonB
`- Re: Thunderbird v115RonB

Pages:12
Thunderbird v115

<ufh9ev$3jeuk$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6897&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6897

From: Jeff@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Thunderbird v115
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 15:45:51 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 14:45 UTC

Just a heads-up that the update manager has just appeared with TB
115.3.1 included. So if you don't want it (at least for a while), you'd
better exclude it.

--

Jeff

Re: Thunderbird v115

<ufhqsv$3nar1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6898&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6898

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Subject: Re: Thunderbird v115
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 15:43:26 -0400
 by: Big Al - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 19:43 UTC

On 10/3/23 10:45, this is what Jeff Layman wrote:
> Just a heads-up that the update manager has just appeared with TB 115.3.1 included. So if you don't want it (at least
> for a while), you'd better exclude it.

Did 3 hours ago, exclude that is.
Even though I've got it working okay on windows. I want to boot a linux VM and see how it works there first.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Thunderbird v115

<sk_SM.270315$vMO8.207457@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6899&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6899

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic@none.net (Nic)
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 15:55:04 -0400
 by: Nic - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 19:55 UTC

On 10/3/23 3:43 PM, Big Al wrote:
> On 10/3/23 10:45, this is what Jeff Layman wrote:
>> Just a heads-up that the update manager has just appeared with TB
>> 115.3.1 included. So if you don't want it (at least for a while),
>> you'd better exclude it.
>>
> Did 3 hours ago, exclude that is.
> Even though I've got it working okay on windows.  I want to boot a
> linux VM and see how it works there first.
Could you explain what kind of VM  you use, is it the Oracle Virtual
Box, or some other VM that can be installed in Linux Mint. The windows
devotees flock and gather around Sandboxie, was wondering if it is the
same kind of thing.

Re: Thunderbird v115

<ufi1b6$3ojac$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6900&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6900

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 17:33:24 -0400
 by: Paul - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 21:33 UTC

On 10/3/2023 3:55 PM, Nic wrote:
> On 10/3/23 3:43 PM, Big Al wrote:
>> On 10/3/23 10:45, this is what Jeff Layman wrote:
>>> Just a heads-up that the update manager has just appeared with TB 115.3.1 included. So if you don't want it (at least for a while), you'd better exclude it.
>>>
>> Did 3 hours ago, exclude that is.
>> Even though I've got it working okay on windows.  I want to boot a linux VM and see how it works there first.
> Could you explain what kind of VM  you use, is it the Oracle Virtual Box, or some other VM that can be installed in Linux Mint. The windows devotees flock and gather around Sandboxie, was wondering if it is the same kind of thing.

They do ?

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/8cyxMq1m/vbox-on-win11.gif

We don't user Hyper-V, because the interface... is patronizing.
There are some other products that patronize in the same way,
so this isn't limited to Microsoft particularly.

Back when Connectix made Virtual PC, that's what we used,
then Microsoft bought it, it was OK for a release or two and
was then ruined. And Hyper-V came soon after.

And before Virtual PC, there was SoftWindows, which I had at work
on a Sparc. I had Connectix Virtual PC on my Mac G4. I had Virtual PC on
my PCs. And now, VirtualBox is everywhere here. Even if it is slowly
degrading in terms of runtime quality. I have other environments, and
VirtualBox is merely the "daily driver" host.

Windows has Bash Shell and WSLg and I regularly run Linux Firefox
on my Windows 11 desktop. that counts as virtualization too, except
the display is rootless and individual programs just render on the
screen (via Terminal Services stack, a very tall stack at that). The
graphics go through a living hell, to get to the screen :-)

The only thing that isn't working here, is Nested Virtualization.
I've tested a couple times, but it is not working. That would in
principle, allow a VM window within a VM window within a VM window,
just like we used to do in the old days. (You used to be able to
do that at one time! I'm sure you've seen that at some point.)
That's because the hosting back then, was "emulation" and graphics
were quite quite slow and lacking of any acceleration whatsoever.
Some screens rendered so slowly, you could count the pixels updating.

It's funny, I don't remember any Sandboxie in that sequence.

Paul

Re: Thunderbird v115

<ufi58p$3pcic$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6901&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6901

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 18:40:23 -0400
 by: Big Al - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 22:40 UTC

On 10/3/23 15:55, this is what Nic wrote:
> On 10/3/23 3:43 PM, Big Al wrote:
>> On 10/3/23 10:45, this is what Jeff Layman wrote:
>>> Just a heads-up that the update manager has just appeared with TB 115.3.1 included. So if you don't want it (at least
>>> for a while), you'd better exclude it.
>>>
>> Did 3 hours ago, exclude that is.
>> Even though I've got it working okay on windows.  I want to boot a linux VM and see how it works there first.
> Could you explain what kind of VM  you use, is it the Oracle Virtual Box, or some other VM that can be installed in
> Linux Mint. The windows devotees flock and gather around Sandboxie, was wondering if it is the same kind of thing.
Same thing paul posted.
Oracle Virtual Box 6.1 on Linux. I run windows10 windows11 and Linux Mint 21.2 and LMDE 6
I have a rather large Nvme SSD and outside the fact it is wear, the VM drives are on the Nvme so I get better speed than
my rusty spinners.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Thunderbird v115

<ufigb4$3v49g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6902&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6902

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 21:49:23 -0400
 by: Paul - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 01:49 UTC

On 10/3/2023 6:40 PM, Big Al wrote:
> On 10/3/23 15:55, this is what Nic wrote:
>>>>
>>> Did 3 hours ago, exclude that is.
>>> Even though I've got it working okay on windows.  I want to boot a linux VM and see how it works there first.
>> Could you explain what kind of VM  you use, is it the Oracle Virtual Box, or some other VM that can be installed in Linux Mint. The windows devotees flock and gather around Sandboxie, was wondering if it is the same kind of thing.
> Same thing paul posted.
> Oracle Virtual Box 6.1 on Linux.   I run windows10 windows11 and Linux Mint 21.2 and LMDE 6
> I have a rather large Nvme SSD and outside the fact it is wear, the VM drives are on the Nvme so I get better speed than my rusty spinners.

My VMs run on a RAMDisk, although they don't really need to.
(If there is paravirtualization going on, it isn't all that fast anyway.)

I write back the contain to primary storage, if the session is worth
preserving. The container is compressed, so it takes less space.

To start a machine, I uncompress the container, and maybe 30 seconds
later, it's unpacked and ready to run.

I've even used a Linux Host (VBox) and used TMPFS for /tmp and
put the container in there. You can do exactly the same thing
when running a Linux Host and Windows Guest, as you can on
a Windows Host with Linux Guest.

*******

It looks like I spoke too soon. I just ran a bench, and for a change
it is inspirational. It used to be, the Linux Host was always the
best at this. I must be doing something wrong :-)

[Picture]

https://i.postimg.cc/d0x4GXxJ/W11-Host-UB2304-Guest-gnomedisks-benchmark.gif

Paul

Re: Thunderbird v115

<ufj4jh$27ki$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6903&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6903

From: usenet.16@scottsonline.org.uk.invalid (Mike Scott)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 08:35:13 +0100
 by: Mike Scott - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 07:35 UTC

On 03/10/2023 20:43, Big Al wrote:
> On 10/3/23 10:45, this is what Jeff Layman wrote:
>> Just a heads-up that the update manager has just appeared with TB
>> 115.3.1 included. So if you don't want it (at least for a while),
>> you'd better exclude it.
>>
> Did 3 hours ago, exclude that is.
> Even though I've got it working okay on windows.  I want to boot a linux
> VM and see how it works there first.

I'm not sure I see an issue with the new version.

However, I did flag it in synaptic as locked - but update manager duly
ignored that and upgraded TB along with other components. Seems an oddity.

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, England

Re: Thunderbird v115

<%DbTM.73285$2XR1.14064@fx43.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6904&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6904

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic@none.net (Nic)
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 07:03:23 -0400
 by: Nic - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 11:03 UTC

On 10/3/23 6:40 PM, Big Al wrote:
> On 10/3/23 15:55, this is what Nic wrote:
>>>>
>>> Did 3 hours ago, exclude that is.
>>> Even though I've got it working okay on windows.  I want to boot a
>>> linux VM and see how it works there first.
>> Could you explain what kind of VM  you use, is it the Oracle Virtual
>> Box, or some other VM that can be installed in Linux Mint. The
>> windows devotees flock and gather around Sandboxie, was wondering if
>> it is the same kind of thing.
> Same thing paul posted.
> Oracle Virtual Box 6.1 on Linux.   I run windows10 windows11 and Linux
> Mint 21.2 and LMDE 6
> I have a rather large Nvme SSD and outside the fact it is wear, the VM
> drives are on the Nvme so I get better speed than my rusty spinners.
Thanks for the clarification. I hope you will post your experiences with
TB 115.3.1 in in the OVM in LM before it gets installed with no roll
back to the primary system/host.

Re: Thunderbird v115

<ufjkku$5907$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6905&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6905

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 08:09:02 -0400
 by: Big Al - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 12:09 UTC

On 10/4/23 07:03, this is what Nic wrote:
> On 10/3/23 6:40 PM, Big Al wrote:

>>> Could you explain what kind of VM  you use, is it the Oracle Virtual Box, or some other VM that can be installed in
>>> Linux Mint. The windows devotees flock and gather around Sandboxie, was wondering if it is the same kind of thing.
>> Same thing paul posted.
>> Oracle Virtual Box 6.1 on Linux.   I run windows10 windows11 and Linux Mint 21.2 and LMDE 6
>> I have a rather large Nvme SSD and outside the fact it is wear, the VM drives are on the Nvme so I get better speed
>> than my rusty spinners.
> Thanks for the clarification. I hope you will post your experiences with TB 115.3.1 in in the OVM in LM before it gets
> installed with no roll back to the primary system/host.

I've been playing with 115.3.1 now for a few hours in Linux and in my opinion it's quite different from Windows.
Windows seemed to come out all large and bulky looking, like made for a phone. This upgrade on Linux looks very usable.
I moved my userChrome.css aside so I'd see it in it's native form and other than the slightly small fonts and icons,
it's not bad. At least not as bad as I remember Windows. Everything in the folder pane fits vertically, I don't have
to scrunch it down like I did in Windows.

I do notice a huge issue for me, when I reply to a post, the cursor starts in the contacts side bar search box, not at
the bottom / top of the compose part of the window. If I turn off the side bar I don't have that issue. Truthfully I
don't really use that side bar so I just turned it off, so that problem solved.

Well I'll put back some of my css and get a bit more font size and see how good it gets. All in all I'm not displeased
with it. Being an upgrade rather than new install/profile, not sure if that would made a diff? Not going to try.
--
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 5.6.8
Al

Re: Thunderbird v115

<nOcTM.403390$ZXz4.278749@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6906&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6906

Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
From: Nic@none.net (Nic)
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 08:22:43 -0400
 by: Nic - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 12:22 UTC

On 10/4/23 8:09 AM, Big Al wrote:
> On 10/4/23 07:03, this is what Nic wrote:

>>> Same thing paul posted.
>>> Oracle Virtual Box 6.1 on Linux.   I run windows10 windows11 and
>>> Linux Mint 21.2 and LMDE 6
>>> I have a rather large Nvme SSD and outside the fact it is wear, the
>>> VM drives are on the Nvme so I get better speed than my rusty spinners.
>> Thanks for the clarification. I hope you will post your experiences
>> with TB 115.3.1 in in the OVM in LM before it gets installed with no
>> roll back to the primary system/host.
>
> I've been playing with 115.3.1 now for a few hours in Linux and in my
> opinion it's quite different from Windows. Windows seemed to come out
> all large and bulky looking, like made for a phone.  This upgrade on
> Linux looks very usable.  I moved my userChrome.css aside so I'd see
> it in it's native form and other than the slightly small fonts and
> icons, it's not bad.  At least not as bad as I remember Windows.
> Everything in the folder pane fits vertically, I don't have to scrunch
> it down like I did in Windows.
>
> I do notice a huge issue for me, when I reply to a post, the cursor
> starts in the contacts side bar search box, not at the bottom / top of
> the compose part of the window.  If I turn off the side bar I don't
> have that issue.  Truthfully I don't really use that side bar so I
> just turned it off, so that problem solved.
>
> Well I'll put back some of my css and get a bit more font size and see
> how good it gets.  All in all I'm not displeased with it. Being an
> upgrade rather than new install/profile, not sure if that would made a
> diff?  Not going to try.
Thanks, for the good news.

Re: Thunderbird v115

<20231004-142958.377.0@dbnnet.news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6907&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6907

From: dbnnet@invalid.com (dbnnet)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 16:29:58 +0200
 by: dbnnet - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 14:29 UTC

In article <ufjkku$5907$1@dont-email.me>, Bears@invalid.com says...
>On 10/4/23 07:03, this is what Nic wrote:

>>> Same thing paul posted.
>>> Oracle Virtual Box 6.1 on Linux.   I run windows10 windows11 and Linux Mint 21.2 and LMDE 6
>>> I have a rather large Nvme SSD and outside the fact it is wear, the VM drives are on the Nvme so I get better speed
>>> than my rusty spinners.
>> Thanks for the clarification. I hope you will post your experiences with TB 115.3.1 in in the OVM in LM before it gets
>> installed with no roll back to the primary system/host.
>
>I've been playing with 115.3.1 now for a few hours in Linux and in my opinion it's quite different from Windows.
>Windows seemed to come out all large and bulky looking, like made for a phone. This upgrade on Linux looks very usable.
> I moved my userChrome.css aside so I'd see it in it's native form and other than the slightly small fonts and icons,
>it's not bad. At least not as bad as I remember Windows. Everything in the folder pane fits vertically, I don't have
>to scrunch it down like I did in Windows.
>
>I do notice a huge issue for me, when I reply to a post, the cursor starts in the contacts side bar search box, not at
>the bottom / top of the compose part of the window. If I turn off the side bar I don't have that issue. Truthfully I
>don't really use that side bar so I just turned it off, so that problem solved.
>
>Well I'll put back some of my css and get a bit more font size and see how good it gets. All in all I'm not displeased
>with it. Being an upgrade rather than new install/profile, not sure if that would made a diff? Not going to try.

Al, I see you have used userChrome.css with TB on Linux Mint.
(I have used it successfully on my Windows Laptop without any issues.)
On Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon, I have created a chrome directory as follows:
<user name> / <.thunderbird> / <profile name> / <chrome>. (I had to create the chrome directory)
I have placed my userChrome.css file in the above directory.
But to no avail. Clearly is not working. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
(Have posted the above in the Thrunderbird Group too)!
Thanks

Re: Thunderbird v115

<ufk0pj$bvip$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6908&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6908

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 11:36:19 -0400
 by: Big Al - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 15:36 UTC

On 10/4/23 10:29, this is what dbnnet wrote:
> In article <ufjkku$5907$1@dont-email.me>, Bears@invalid.com says...

>>> Thanks for the clarification. I hope you will post your experiences with TB 115.3.1 in in the OVM in LM before it gets
>>> installed with no roll back to the primary system/host.
>>
>> I've been playing with 115.3.1 now for a few hours in Linux and in my opinion it's quite different from Windows.
>> Windows seemed to come out all large and bulky looking, like made for a phone. This upgrade on Linux looks very usable.
>> I moved my userChrome.css aside so I'd see it in it's native form and other than the slightly small fonts and icons,
>> it's not bad. At least not as bad as I remember Windows. Everything in the folder pane fits vertically, I don't have
>> to scrunch it down like I did in Windows.
>>
>> I do notice a huge issue for me, when I reply to a post, the cursor starts in the contacts side bar search box, not at
>> the bottom / top of the compose part of the window. If I turn off the side bar I don't have that issue. Truthfully I
>> don't really use that side bar so I just turned it off, so that problem solved.
>>
>> Well I'll put back some of my css and get a bit more font size and see how good it gets. All in all I'm not displeased
>> with it. Being an upgrade rather than new install/profile, not sure if that would made a diff? Not going to try.
>

> Al, I see you have used userChrome.css with TB on Linux Mint.
> (I have used it successfully on my Windows Laptop without any issues.)
> On Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon, I have created a chrome directory as follows:
> <user name> / <.thunderbird> / <profile name> / <chrome>. (I had to create the chrome directory)
> I have placed my userChrome.css file in the above directory.
> But to no avail. Clearly is not working. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
> (Have posted the above in the Thrunderbird Group too)!
> Thanks

You need to enable it.
Open settings -> general go to the bottom and click config-editor
type legacy. look for toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets and set it true.
See if that doesn't help.

My css from windows with TB 115 was way too small. I had to spend about 2 hours bumping up a lot of row heights and
fonts to make it look good. But I've got it much like the old 102 version. Not 100%, but then I've spent quite a few
months tweaking 102, I expect to do the same to 115+.
--
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 5.6.8
Al

Re: Thunderbird v115

<20231004-160440.287.0@dbnnet.news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6910&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6910

From: dbnnet@invalid.com (dbnnet)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 18:04:40 +0200
 by: dbnnet - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 16:04 UTC

In article <ufk0pj$bvip$1@dont-email.me>, Bears@invalid.com says...
>On 10/4/23 10:29, this is what dbnnet wrote:
115.3.1 included. So if you don't want it (at

linux VM and see how it works there first.
Box, or some other VM that can be installed in
was wondering if it is the same kind of thing.
Mint 21.2 and LMDE 6
drives are on the Nvme so I get better speed
with TB 115.3.1 in in the OVM in LM before it gets

>>> I've been playing with 115.3.1 now for a few hours in Linux and in my
opinion it's quite different from Windows.
>>> Windows seemed to come out all large and bulky looking, like made for a
phone. This upgrade on Linux looks very usable.
>>> I moved my userChrome.css aside so I'd see it in it's native form and
other than the slightly small fonts and icons,
>>> it's not bad. At least not as bad as I remember Windows. Everything in
the folder pane fits vertically, I don't have
>>> to scrunch it down like I did in Windows.
>>>
>>> I do notice a huge issue for me, when I reply to a post, the cursor
starts in the contacts side bar search box, not at
>>> the bottom / top of the compose part of the window. If I turn off the
side bar I don't have that issue. Truthfully I
>>> don't really use that side bar so I just turned it off, so that problem
solved.

>>> Well I'll put back some of my css and get a bit more font size and see
how good it gets. All in all I'm not displeased
>>> with it. Being an upgrade rather than new install/profile, not sure if
that would made a diff? Not going to try.

>> Al, I see you have used userChrome.css with TB on Linux Mint.
>> (I have used it successfully on my Windows Laptop without any issues.)
>> On Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon, I have created a chrome directory as
follows:
>> <user name> / <.thunderbird> / <profile name> / <chrome>. (I had to
create the chrome directory)
>> I have placed my userChrome.css file in the above directory.
>> But to no avail. Clearly is not working. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
>> (Have posted the above in the Thrunderbird Group too)!
>> Thanks
>>
>You need to enable it.
>Open settings -> general go to the bottom and click config-editor
>type legacy. look for toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets
and set it true.
>See if that doesn't help.
>
>My css from windows with TB 115 was way too small. I had to spend about 2
hours bumping up a lot of row heights and
>fonts to make it look good. But I've got it much like the old 102 version.
Not 100%, but then I've spent quite a few
>months tweaking 102, I expect to do the same to 115+.

Thanks - Forgot all about the Config toolkit.legacyUser :0
Most appreciated!

Re: Thunderbird v115

<20231004-165603.53.0@dbnnet.news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6911&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6911

From: dbnnet@invalid.com (dbnnet)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 18:56:03 +0200
 by: dbnnet - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 16:56 UTC

In article <20231004-160440.287.0@dbnnet.news.eternal-september.org>,
dbnnet@invalid.com says...
>In article <ufk0pj$bvip$1@dont-email.me>, Bears@invalid.com says...
>>On 10/4/23 10:29, this is what dbnnet wrote:
>>> In article <ufjkku$5907$1@dont-email.me>, Bears@invalid.com says...
>115.3.1 included. So if you don't want it (at

>linux VM and see how it works there first.
>Box, or some other VM that can be installed in
>was wondering if it is the same kind of thing.
Linux
>Mint 21.2 and LMDE 6
VM
>drives are on the Nvme so I get better speed
>with TB 115.3.1 in in the OVM in LM before it gets

>opinion it's quite different from Windows.
>phone. This upgrade on Linux looks very usable.
>other than the slightly small fonts and icons,
>the folder pane fits vertically, I don't have

>starts in the contacts side bar search box, not at
>side bar I don't have that issue. Truthfully I
>solved.

>how good it gets. All in all I'm not displeased
>that would made a diff? Not going to try.
>>>

>>> Al, I see you have used userChrome.css with TB on Linux Mint.
>>> (I have used it successfully on my Windows Laptop without any issues.)
>>> On Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon, I have created a chrome directory as
>follows:
>>> <user name> / <.thunderbird> / <profile name> / <chrome>. (I had to
>create the chrome directory)
>>> I have placed my userChrome.css file in the above directory.
>>> But to no avail. Clearly is not working. Any idea what I am doing wrong?
>>> (Have posted the above in the Thrunderbird Group too)!
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>You need to enable it.
>>Open settings -> general go to the bottom and click config-editor
>>type legacy. look for toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets
>and set it true.
>>See if that doesn't help.
>>
>>My css from windows with TB 115 was way too small. I had to spend about 2
>hours bumping up a lot of row heights and
>>fonts to make it look good. But I've got it much like the old 102
version.
> Not 100%, but then I've spent quite a few
>>months tweaking 102, I expect to do the same to 115+.
>
>Thanks - Forgot all about the Config toolkit.legacyUser :0
>Most appreciated!

Have now placed: @namespace html "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";
at the top of my css file as I understand it is reccomended.
I have tested it on Windows 10 & Linux and does not cause any issues on
either.

Re: Thunderbird v115

<ufk7fp$dpe3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6912&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6912

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:30:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:30 UTC

On 2023-10-03, Jeff Layman <Jeff@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Just a heads-up that the update manager has just appeared with TB
> 115.3.1 included. So if you don't want it (at least for a while), you'd
> better exclude it.

I tried it on a laptop and didn't like the interface, so I have excluded it
on my main computer. (At this point temporarily.)

Thanks for the heads up.

--
"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."
-- Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

Re: Thunderbird v115

<ufkko1$guud$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6913&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6913

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:16:49 -0400
 by: Big Al - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 21:16 UTC

On 10/4/23 12:56, this is what dbnnet wrote:
> In article <20231004-160440.287.0@dbnnet.news.eternal-september.org>,
> dbnnet@invalid.com says...
>> 115.3.1 included. So if you don't want it (at

>> linux VM and see how it works there first.
>> Box, or some other VM that can be installed in
>> was wondering if it is the same kind of thing.
> Linux
>> Mint 21.2 and LMDE 6
> VM
>> drives are on the Nvme so I get better speed
>> with TB 115.3.1 in in the OVM in LM before it gets

>> opinion it's quite different from Windows.
>> phone. This upgrade on Linux looks very usable.
>> other than the slightly small fonts and icons,
> in
>> the folder pane fits vertically, I don't have

>> starts in the contacts side bar search box, not at
>> side bar I don't have that issue. Truthfully I
>> solved.

>> how good it gets. All in all I'm not displeased
>> that would made a diff? Not going to try.

>> follows:
>> create the chrome directory)
>>>>
>>> You need to enable it.
>>> Open settings -> general go to the bottom and click config-editor
>>> type legacy. look for toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets
>> and set it true.
>>> See if that doesn't help.
>>>
>>> My css from windows with TB 115 was way too small. I had to spend about 2
>> hours bumping up a lot of row heights and
>>> fonts to make it look good. But I've got it much like the old 102
> version.
>> Not 100%, but then I've spent quite a few
>>> months tweaking 102, I expect to do the same to 115+.
>>
>> Thanks - Forgot all about the Config toolkit.legacyUser :0
>> Most appreciated!
>>

> Have now placed: @namespace html "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";
> at the top of my css file as I understand it is reccomended.
> I have tested it on Windows 10 & Linux and does not cause any issues on
> either.

I don't have that namespace thing in my css.
I tried these and had issues so commented them out. All seems to work okay so far without them.

/*@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"); /**/
/*@namespace html url("http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml");/**/

--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Thunderbird v115

<ufkkrn$guud$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6914&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6914

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:18:47 -0400
 by: Big Al - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 21:18 UTC

On 10/4/23 03:35, this is what Mike Scott wrote:
> On 03/10/2023 20:43, Big Al wrote:
>> On 10/3/23 10:45, this is what Jeff Layman wrote:
>>> Just a heads-up that the update manager has just appeared with TB 115.3.1 included. So if you don't want it (at least
>>> for a while), you'd better exclude it.
>>>
>> Did 3 hours ago, exclude that is.
>> Even though I've got it working okay on windows.  I want to boot a linux VM and see how it works there first.
>
> I'm not sure I see an issue with the new version.
>
> However, I did flag it in synaptic as locked - but update manager duly ignored that and upgraded TB along with other
> components. Seems an oddity.

You say you flagged it, is that the right wording? Because what I did was "ignore future updates"
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Thunderbird v115

<ko6kqvF8jmpU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6915&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6915

From: Gordon@leaf.net.nz (Gordon)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: 5 Oct 2023 02:20:15 GMT
 by: Gordon - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 02:20 UTC

On 2023-10-04, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 10/4/23 03:35, this is what Mike Scott wrote:
>>>>
>>> Did 3 hours ago, exclude that is.
>>> Even though I've got it working okay on windows.  I want to boot a linux VM and see how it works there first.
>>
>> I'm not sure I see an issue with the new version.
>>
>> However, I did flag it in synaptic as locked - but update manager duly ignored that and upgraded TB along with other
>> components. Seems an oddity.
>>

> You say you flagged it, is that the right wording? Because what I did was "ignore future updates"

Yes, flagged it means to flag it way, get it out of the way. Look like means
also arrested which works in this case.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/flagged

Re: Thunderbird v115

<20231005-044554.675.0@dbnnet.news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6916&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6916

From: dbnnet@invalid.com (dbnnet)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 06:45:54 +0200
 by: dbnnet - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 04:45 UTC

>I don't have that namespace thing in my css.
>I tried these and had issues so commented them out. All seems to work okay
so >far without them.

It certainly does not make any difference in my case too.
I may well also comment them out unless I can find some solid
evidence that they are really needed.

Re: Thunderbird v115

<ufluhp$s72t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6917&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6917

From: usenet.16@scottsonline.org.uk.invalid (Mike Scott)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 10:10:16 +0100
 by: Mike Scott - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 09:10 UTC

On 04/10/2023 22:18, Big Al wrote:
> On 10/4/23 03:35, this is what Mike Scott wrote:
>>>>
>>> Did 3 hours ago, exclude that is.
>>> Even though I've got it working okay on windows.  I want to boot a
>>> linux VM and see how it works there first.
>>
>> I'm not sure I see an issue with the new version.
>>
>> However, I did flag it in synaptic as locked - but update manager duly
>> ignored that and upgraded TB along with other components. Seems an
>> oddity.
>>

> You say you flagged it, is that the right wording?  Because what I did
> was "ignore future updates"

Synaptic:
package | lock version

Came up in red

Still marked in red as 'locked version' after the upgrade, just with the
new version.

All that said, I just got on with things: turns out its data file format
must have changed (and so I can't just downgrade), because I have them
shared across multiple machines, and the un-upgraded ones complained
suitably. It seems to work OK though, and I can't see too much to worry
about.

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, England

Re: Thunderbird v115

<ufmb1d$uo1d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6918&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6918

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 08:43:25 -0400
 by: Big Al - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 12:43 UTC

On 10/5/23 05:10, this is what Mike Scott wrote:
> On 04/10/2023 22:18, Big Al wrote:

>>> I'm not sure I see an issue with the new version.
>>>
>>> However, I did flag it in synaptic as locked - but update manager duly ignored that and upgraded TB along with other
>>> components. Seems an oddity.
>>>

>> You say you flagged it, is that the right wording?  Because what I did was "ignore future updates"
>
> Synaptic:
> package | lock version
>
> Came up in red
>
> Still marked in red as 'locked version' after the upgrade, just with the new version.
>
> All that said, I just got on with things: turns out its data file format must have changed (and so I can't just
> downgrade), because I have them shared across multiple machines, and the un-upgraded ones complained suitably. It seems
> to work OK though, and I can't see too much to worry about.

Yes, on the surface it's not bad, minor issues but nothing that hinders operations. I've been able to almost css code
most of my issues away.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Thunderbird v115

<ufmblm$urnh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6919&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6919

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 08:54:14 -0400
 by: Big Al - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 12:54 UTC

On 10/4/23 22:20, this is what Gordon wrote:
> On 2023-10-04, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:

>>> I'm not sure I see an issue with the new version.
>>>
>>> However, I did flag it in synaptic as locked - but update manager duly ignored that and upgraded TB along with other
>>> components. Seems an oddity.
>>>

>> You say you flagged it, is that the right wording? Because what I did was "ignore future updates"
>
> Yes, flagged it means to flag it way, get it out of the way. Look like means
> also arrested which works in this case.
>
> https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/flagged
You're not Mike Scott so don't put words in his mouth. Besides 'flagged' does not imply 'flag away'. I can flag
something as important, or unnecessary, or questionable.

In synaptic, there is no wording 'flag'. There is a 'lock version' check box. That's what I'm questioning.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al

Re: Thunderbird v115

<ufmsji$12a35$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6920&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6920

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:43:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:43 UTC

On 2023-10-05, Mike Scott <usenet.16@scottsonline.org.uk.invalid> wrote:
> On 04/10/2023 22:18, Big Al wrote:

>>> I'm not sure I see an issue with the new version.
>>>
>>> However, I did flag it in synaptic as locked - but update manager duly
>>> ignored that and upgraded TB along with other components. Seems an
>>> oddity.
>>>

>> You say you flagged it, is that the right wording?  Because what I did
>> was "ignore future updates"
>
> Synaptic:
> package | lock version
>
> Came up in red
>
> Still marked in red as 'locked version' after the upgrade, just with the
> new version.
>
> All that said, I just got on with things: turns out its data file format
> must have changed (and so I can't just downgrade), because I have them
> shared across multiple machines, and the un-upgraded ones complained
> suitably. It seems to work OK though, and I can't see too much to worry
> about.

If this happens again, in Update Manager right click on the package you
don't want to update and you'll get the choices to either not update to this
version or to not update to any future version.

On my Debian 12 machine (no Linux Mint Update Manager) I found you can type
the following command to keep the update from happening...

sudo apt-mark hold thunderbird (or whatever package you don't to update)

If you want to see what packages you've held you can type...

sudo apt-mark showhold

If you decide you want to update after all...

sudo apt-mark unhold thunderbird (packageName)

I assume these commands would also work in Linux Mint.

--
"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."
-- Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

Re: Thunderbird v115

<ufmso9$12a35$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6921&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6921

From: ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com (RonB)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:45:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RonB - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:45 UTC

On 2023-10-05, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:
> On 10/5/23 05:10, this is what Mike Scott wrote:

>>> You say you flagged it, is that the right wording?  Because what I did was "ignore future updates"
>>
>> Synaptic:
>> package | lock version
>>
>> Came up in red
>>
>> Still marked in red as 'locked version' after the upgrade, just with the new version.
>>
>> All that said, I just got on with things: turns out its data file format must have changed (and so I can't just
>> downgrade), because I have them shared across multiple machines, and the un-upgraded ones complained suitably. It seems
>> to work OK though, and I can't see too much to worry about.
>>

> Yes, on the surface it's not bad, minor issues but nothing that hinders operations. I've been able to almost css code
> most of my issues away.

I like to move the email window up to where there's about three lines
avialable for received mail lines. You can't move it up that far with
Thunderbird 115. But I'll probably end up updating anyhow. Just not right
away.

--
"Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good."
-- Archbishop Charles J. Chaput

Re: Thunderbird v115

<ufntef$1c160$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=6922&group=alt.os.linux.mint#6922

From: Bears@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mint
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 23:03:42 -0400
 by: Big Al - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 03:03 UTC

On 10/5/23 13:45, this is what RonB wrote:
> On 2023-10-05, Big Al <Bears@invalid.com> wrote:

>>> Synaptic:
>>> package | lock version
>>>
>>> Came up in red
>>>
>>> Still marked in red as 'locked version' after the upgrade, just with the new version.
>>>
>>> All that said, I just got on with things: turns out its data file format must have changed (and so I can't just
>>> downgrade), because I have them shared across multiple machines, and the un-upgraded ones complained suitably. It seems
>>> to work OK though, and I can't see too much to worry about.
>>>

>> Yes, on the surface it's not bad, minor issues but nothing that hinders operations. I've been able to almost css code
>> most of my issues away.
>
> I like to move the email window up to where there's about three lines
> avialable for received mail lines. You can't move it up that far with
> Thunderbird 115. But I'll probably end up updating anyhow. Just not right
> away.

I finally updated. I was tired switching systems to work of cleaning 115 up.
I'm not one to hold back updates anyway.
--
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Al