"Open Channel D..." -- Napoleon Solo, The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

devel / comp.sys.acorn.apps / POPstar

SubjectAuthor
* POPstarDave Plowman (News)
+* Re: POPstarChris Hughes
|+* Re: POPstarDoug Webb
||+- Re: POPstarDave Plowman (News)
||+* Re: POPstarTheo
|||`- Re: POPstarDave Plowman (News)
||`* Re: POPstarChris Hughes
|| +- Re: POPstarDoug Webb
|| `* Re: POPstarDave Plowman (News)
||  +* Re: POPstarDoug Webb
||  |`* Re: POPstarChris Hughes
||  | `* Re: POPstarDoug Webb
||  |  +* Re: POPstarDoug Webb
||  |  |+* Re: POPstarChris Hughes
||  |  ||`- Re: POPstarDoug Webb
||  |  |`* Re: POPstarDave Plowman (News)
||  |  | `- Re: POPstarChris Hughes
||  |  `* Re: POPstardruck
||  |   `- Re: POPstarDoug Webb
||  `- Re: POPstarDave Plowman (News)
|`- Re: POPstarSteve Fryatt
`* Re: POPstarKevin Wells
 `* Re: POPstarDave Plowman (News)
  `* Re: POPstarSteve Fryatt
   +- Re: POPstarDoug Webb
   `* Re: POPstarDave Plowman (News)
    `* Re: POPstarDavid Higton
     `* Re: POPstarDave Plowman (News)
      +* Re: POPstarChris Hughes
      |`* Re: POPstarDave Plowman (News)
      | `* Re: POPstarChris Hughes
      |  `* Re: POPstarTheo
      |   `* Re: POPstarDave Plowman (News)
      |    `* Re: POPstarTheo
      |     `- Re: POPstarDave Plowman (News)
      `- Re: POPstarFrank

Pages:12
POPstar

<5969d6cbecdave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=631&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#631

From: dave@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: POPstar
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 16:48:59 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Fri, 10 Sep 2021 15:48 UTC

Have my own domain hosted by 123-reg. Only used for email. Also a BTmail
account.

123 reg have abolished pophost. On their website, they did an 'upgrade'
to imap.

And of course POPstar no longer downloads my emails from that domain - but
does still work with BT.

In users, I've changed <pophost.123-reg.co.uk> to <imap.123-reg.co.uk:995>
which is about as far as I got by reading the blurb on the 123 site.

But then it doesn't work with Thunderbird either.

--
*When the going gets tough, use duct tape

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: POPstar

<199e4b6a59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=632&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#632

From: news13@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Subject: Re: POPstar
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 14:04:59 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 13:04 UTC

In message <5969d6cbecdave@davenoise.co.uk>
"Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> Have my own domain hosted by 123-reg. Only used for email. Also a BTmail
> account.

> 123 reg have abolished pophost. On their website, they did an 'upgrade'
> to imap.

> And of course POPstar no longer downloads my emails from that domain - but
> does still work with BT.

> In users, I've changed <pophost.123-reg.co.uk> to <imap.123-reg.co.uk:995>
> which is about as far as I got by reading the blurb on the 123 site.

> But then it doesn't work with Thunderbird either.

123.reg website says the setting should be.

For the 'Incoming mail' section, enter imap.123-reg.co.uk as the incoming
mail server and use 993 for the Port. For the encryption method, select
SSL/TLS.

For the 'Outgoing mail' section, enter smtp.123-reg.co.uk as the outgoing
mail server and use 465 for the Port. For the encryption method, select
SSL/TLS.

I found the information via the following URL:

https://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/email/how-do-i-set-up-an-email-client-with-123-mail/

all one line!

They have a specific section on Thunderbird on that page as well.

Hope this helps.

Remember IMAP means your emails that are sent to you are stored on their
servers.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: POPstar

<bd734f6a59.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=633&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#633

From: doug.j.webb@btinternet.com (Doug Webb)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 14:46:52 +0100
 by: Doug Webb - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 13:46 UTC

In message <199e4b6a59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <5969d6cbecdave@davenoise.co.uk>
> "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>> Have my own domain hosted by 123-reg. Only used for email. Also a BTmail
>> account.

>> 123 reg have abolished pophost. On their website, they did an 'upgrade'
>> to imap.

>> And of course POPstar no longer downloads my emails from that domain - but
>> does still work with BT.

[snip]

> For the 'Incoming mail' section, enter imap.123-reg.co.uk as the incoming
> mail server and use 993 for the Port. For the encryption method, select
> SSL/TLS.

> For the 'Outgoing mail' section, enter smtp.123-reg.co.uk as the outgoing
> mail server and use 465 for the Port. For the encryption method, select
> SSL/TLS.

> I found the information via the following URL:

> https://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/email/how-do-i-set-up-an-email-client-wi
> th-123-mail/

> all one line!

> They have a specific section on Thunderbird on that page as well.

I think the issue here is that Dave is using Popstar as the transport
mechanism for email for the RISCOS side and that is not IMAP compliant.

He needs to either have a a IMAP complaint RISCOS client, MessengerPro
does this, or as suggested use Thunderbird on Windows/Linux.

There was a RISCOS Thunderbird release but it is old so may have security
or operability issues now and it was only ever a alpha status release.

One other way that may be possible is he could forward his 123-reg hosted
email to BT and download them there via POP/POPStar as that still works
with Popstar from what Dave say.

Doug

--
Experience the future using ARM Technology - ARMBook,BeagleBoard -xM,
PandaBoard,Raspberry Pi,iMX6/ARMX6,IGEPv5 & Titanium powered by RISC OS

Re: POPstar

<596a512f16dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=634&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#634

From: dave@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 15:05:48 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 14:05 UTC

In article <bd734f6a59.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>,
Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@btinternet.com> wrote:
> In message <199e4b6a59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> > In message <5969d6cbecdave@davenoise.co.uk>
> > "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Have my own domain hosted by 123-reg. Only used for email. Also a
> >> BTmail account.

> >> 123 reg have abolished pophost. On their website, they did an
> >> 'upgrade' to imap.

> >> And of course POPstar no longer downloads my emails from that domain
> >> - but does still work with BT.

> [snip]

> > For the 'Incoming mail' section, enter imap.123-reg.co.uk as the
> > incoming mail server and use 993 for the Port. For the encryption
> > method, select SSL/TLS.

> > For the 'Outgoing mail' section, enter smtp.123-reg.co.uk as the
> > outgoing mail server and use 465 for the Port. For the encryption
> > method, select SSL/TLS.

> > I found the information via the following URL:

> > https://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/email/how-do-i-set-up-an-email-client-wi
> > th-123-mail/

> > all one line!

> > They have a specific section on Thunderbird on that page as well.

> I think the issue here is that Dave is using Popstar as the transport
> mechanism for email for the RISCOS side and that is not IMAP compliant.

> He needs to either have a a IMAP complaint RISCOS client, MessengerPro
> does this, or as suggested use Thunderbird on Windows/Linux.

> There was a RISCOS Thunderbird release but it is old so may have
> security or operability issues now and it was only ever a alpha status
> release.

> One other way that may be possible is he could forward his 123-reg
> hosted email to BT and download them there via POP/POPStar as that
> still works with Popstar from what Dave say.

Thanks. I do use Thunderbird on the various PCs, and that stopped working
with 123-reg too. And changing it to IMAP didn't sort things. All my
various email addresses for my own domains were set in 123-Reg to forward
to *******@pophost.123-reg.co.uk and that was what I downloaded. Changed
that to my BT email address and I can now receive from the other
addresses. Talked to 123-Reg on the phone and they've raised it as a fault.

--
*Why isn't there mouse-flavoured cat food?

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: POPstar

<Oeh*l4Yty@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=635&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#635

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: 11 Sep 2021 15:07:40 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 14:07 UTC

Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@btinternet.com> wrote:
> I think the issue here is that Dave is using Popstar as the transport
> mechanism for email for the RISCOS side and that is not IMAP compliant.
>
> He needs to either have a a IMAP complaint RISCOS client, MessengerPro
> does this, or as suggested use Thunderbird on Windows/Linux.

pop.123-reg.co.uk does exist and appears to be listening for POP mail on
both port 110 and 995. Try that?

Although that may be the service they are planning to turn off, I don't
know.

Over in uk.d-i-y, where Dave also asked this question, a 123-reg user
mentioned 'pophost' was an older server which may be the thing they're
turning off, rather than all POP. It appears pophost.123-reg.co.uk and
pop.123-reg.co.uk resolve to different IP addresses, so are different
servers.

Theo

Re: POPstar

<ef83536a59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=636&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#636

From: news13@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 15:31:15 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 14:31 UTC

In message <bd734f6a59.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>
Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@btinternet.com> wrote:

> In message <199e4b6a59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

>> In message <5969d6cbecdave@davenoise.co.uk>
>> "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Have my own domain hosted by 123-reg. Only used for email. Also a BTmail
>>> account.

>>> 123 reg have abolished pophost. On their website, they did an 'upgrade'
>>> to imap.

>>> And of course POPstar no longer downloads my emails from that domain - but
>>> does still work with BT.

> [snip]

>> For the 'Incoming mail' section, enter imap.123-reg.co.uk as the incoming
>> mail server and use 993 for the Port. For the encryption method, select
>> SSL/TLS.

>> For the 'Outgoing mail' section, enter smtp.123-reg.co.uk as the outgoing
>> mail server and use 465 for the Port. For the encryption method, select
>> SSL/TLS.

>> I found the information via the following URL:

>> https://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/email/how-do-i-set-up-an-email-client-wi
>> th-123-mail/

>> all one line!

>> They have a specific section on Thunderbird on that page as well.

> I think the issue here is that Dave is using Popstar as the transport
> mechanism for email for the RISCOS side and that is not IMAP compliant.

Actually he would need NetFetch/Hermes as his email transport, its Hermes
which is up to date and would replace PopStar and handles IMAP and up to
date SSL connections.

> He needs to either have a a IMAP complaint RISCOS client, MessengerPro
> does this, or as suggested use Thunderbird on Windows/Linux.

NetFetch/Hermes for the email transport and Messenger Pro or Pluto as the
client would be answer.

> There was a RISCOS Thunderbird release but it is old so may have security
> or operability issues now and it was only ever a alpha status release.

IIRC its was rather broken

> One other way that may be possible is he could forward his 123-reg hosted
> email to BT and download them there via POP/POPStar as that still works
> with Popstar from what Dave say.

That might work. But he would need to ensure IIRC that his domain is in
accept list as 'safe' to go to and from his BT mail servers.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: POPstar

<mpro.qz9ynh02t8k1n03h2.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=637&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#637

From: news@stevefryatt.org.uk (Steve Fryatt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 15:52:35 +0100
 by: Steve Fryatt - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 14:52 UTC

On 11 Sep, Chris Hughes wrote in message
<199e4b6a59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>:

> Remember IMAP means your emails that are sent to you are stored on their
> servers.

No it doesn't. It can do, but IMAP can also be used in a POP-like way where
mails are downloaded and deleted from the server (just as POP can often be
used in a slightly broken "IMAP-like" way where mails are downloaded and
left on the server).

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Re: POPstar

<85305c6a59.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=638&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#638

From: doug.j.webb@btinternet.com (Doug Webb)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 17:05:59 +0100
 by: Doug Webb - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 16:05 UTC

In message <ef83536a59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

>> I think the issue here is that Dave is using Popstar as the transport
>> mechanism for email for the RISCOS side and that is not IMAP compliant.

> Actually he would need NetFetch/Hermes as his email transport, its Hermes
> which is up to date and would replace PopStar and handles IMAP and up to
> date SSL connections.

>> He needs to either have a a IMAP complaint RISCOS client, MessengerPro
>> does this, or as suggested use Thunderbird on Windows/Linux.

> NetFetch/Hermes for the email transport and Messenger Pro or Pluto as the
> client would be answer.

I have tried a new account set up in Hermes for emailbox fetching and it
is clear that when you add one it says type POP and also asks you for the
POP3 mail server address.

I thought the only IMAP client was RemoteNB which is part of MessengerPro
server.

Are you saying you just ignore all that it says in the entry box sections
about POP and put in the server details and the IMAP port i.e 143/993

Happy to be corrected as usual and if Hermes can do IMAP then all the
better :-)

Doug

--
Experience the future using ARM Technology - ARMBook,BeagleBoard -xM,
PandaBoard,Raspberry Pi,iMX6/ARMX6,IGEPv5 & Titanium powered by RISC OS
5.28.

Re: POPstar

<596ac23f1cdave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=639&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#639

From: dave@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 11:40:43 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 10:40 UTC

In article <Oeh*l4Yty@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@btinternet.com> wrote:
> > I think the issue here is that Dave is using Popstar as the transport
> > mechanism for email for the RISCOS side and that is not IMAP compliant.
> >
> > He needs to either have a a IMAP complaint RISCOS client, MessengerPro
> > does this, or as suggested use Thunderbird on Windows/Linux.

> pop.123-reg.co.uk does exist and appears to be listening for POP mail on
> both port 110 and 995. Try that?

> Although that may be the service they are planning to turn off, I don't
> know.

> Over in uk.d-i-y, where Dave also asked this question, a 123-reg user
> mentioned 'pophost' was an older server which may be the thing they're
> turning off, rather than all POP. It appears pophost.123-reg.co.uk and
> pop.123-reg.co.uk resolve to different IP addresses, so are different
> servers.

Remember I'm using both POPstar on here and Thunderbird on the PCs. Both
have the same problems.

123-reg was set up to forward all my emails to this pophost that I gave
earlier, and it would seem to be this I can't access. Changing that to my
BT email address and I now get all new mails sent via 123-reg. But can't
of course see those stored on that pophost server - not a disaster as only
a few days worth. (POPstar is set to remove emails from the server when it
downloads them - I only ever view them on the PCs)

--
*When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: POPstar

<596ac2714edave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=640&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#640

From: dave@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 11:42:52 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 10:42 UTC

In article <ef83536a59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> NetFetch/Hermes for the email transport and Messenger Pro or Pluto as
> the client would be answer.

Thanks, Chris. I'll get them.

--
*I pretend to work. - they pretend to pay me.

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: POPstar

<62dbc56a59.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=641&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#641

From: doug.j.webb@btinternet.com (Doug Webb)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 12:20:09 +0100
 by: Doug Webb - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 11:20 UTC

In message <596ac2714edave@davenoise.co.uk>
"Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <ef83536a59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
>> NetFetch/Hermes for the email transport and Messenger Pro or Pluto as
>> the client would be answer.

> Thanks, Chris. I'll get them.

Dave,

I would check with RComp first about IMAP use in NetFetch/Hermes as
according to their webpage it states only this for NetFetch/Hermes:

Important Hermes features include:

� Simple, clear user interface shows you what's going on, and visually
shows you percentage completed bars for the current email and the whole
fetching/sending job, without wasting screen space.
� Fetch POP email from many different mail servers, all at the same time.
You don't need to wait for one fetch to finish before checking another.
� Send mail via SMTP at the same time as fetching - your internet
connection can fetch and send data at the same time, so your computer
(with Hermes) can too!
� Supports many security standards - POP3s (POP mail fetching over SSL),
SMTP over SSL, APOP, authenticated SMTP (as used by BTinternet, for
example) and more.
� Support for both SSL and TLS-based secure email, tested on a wide range
of servers both in the UK and abroad.
� Multiple SMTP server support allows you to automatically direct outgoing
emails via different SMTP servers depending on which of your email
addresses sends the mail in question. This has become important to ensure
your emails aren't treated as spam.

So no mention of IMAP but their MessengerPro page says this:

The main features are:

� Supports all the Internet mail and news standards
� "Industry Standard" - Messenger Pro has Good NetKeeping Seal of Approval

� Broadband and network (POP / SMTP / IMAP / NNTP) mail/news support
� SSL/TLS encryption supported on all major protocols

So as I believe it is MessengerPro that does IMAP but not Netfetch/Hermes.

Doug
--
Experience the future using ARM Technology - ARMBook,BeagleBoard -xM,
PandaBoard,Raspberry Pi,iMX6/ARMX6,IGEPv5 & Titanium powered by RISC OS
5.28.

Re: POPstar

<bbe8c66a59.Kevin@Kevsoft>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=643&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#643

From: kev@kevsoft.co.uk (Kevin Wells)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 12:31:39 +0100
 by: Kevin Wells - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 11:31 UTC

In message <5969d6cbecdave@davenoise.co.uk>
"Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>Have my own domain hosted by 123-reg. Only used for email. Also a BTmail
>account.
>
>123 reg have abolished pophost. On their website, they did an 'upgrade'
>to imap.
>
>And of course POPstar no longer downloads my emails from that domain - but
>does still work with BT.
>
>In users, I've changed <pophost.123-reg.co.uk> to <imap.123-reg.co.uk:995>
>which is about as far as I got by reading the blurb on the 123 site.

My settings with Hermes for 132 reg is

POP3 mail server:

pop.123-reg.co.uk

Port:

110

>But then it doesn't work with Thunderbird either.

--
Kev Wells
http://kevsoft.co.uk/ https://ko-fi.com/kevsoft

Re: POPstar

<93d6d16a59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=646&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#646

From: news13@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 14:31:01 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 13:31 UTC

In message <62dbc56a59.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>
Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@btinternet.com> wrote:

> In message <596ac2714edave@davenoise.co.uk>
> "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>> In article <ef83536a59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
>> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
>>> NetFetch/Hermes for the email transport and Messenger Pro or Pluto as
>>> the client would be answer.

>> Thanks, Chris. I'll get them.

> Dave,

> I would check with RComp first about IMAP use in NetFetch/Hermes as
> according to their webpage it states only this for NetFetch/Hermes:

IMAP is a protocol. Hermes/Netfetch, provide the mail transport functions
to communicate with mail servers.

> So no mention of IMAP but their MessengerPro page says this:

Messenger Pro has a built in IMAP server facility correct but its for your
internal network as far as I am awhere.

I use it to access all my emails on my various other computers around the
place, Regardless of if it is a Windows/Linux/Mac/tablet, I can access all
the emails they have come into the server version of messenger pro in this
case my ARMX6.

> So as I believe it is MessengerPro that does IMAP but not Netfetch/Hermes.

Windows programs like Thunderbird, Outlook and say Windows Mail, combine
the mail transport and email client functions into the one program.
Whereas on RISCOS they are basically two programmes. Hermes/Popstar and
your email client Messenger Pro/Pluto

--
Chris Hughes

Re: POPstar

<596ad55264dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=647&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#647

From: dave@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 15:09:05 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 14:09 UTC

In article <596ac2714edave@davenoise.co.uk>,
Dave Plowman (News) <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <ef83536a59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>,
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
> > NetFetch/Hermes for the email transport and Messenger Pro or Pluto as
> > the client would be answer.

> Thanks, Chris. I'll get them.

Easier said than done. Tried to purchase NetFetch from the R-Comp site
(using Firefox on the PC) and it wouldn't accept the order.

--
*A snooze button is a poor substitute for no alarm clock at all *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: POPstar

<596ad59f38dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=648&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#648

From: dave@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 15:12:23 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 14:12 UTC

In article <bbe8c66a59.Kevin@Kevsoft>,
Kevin Wells <kev@kevsoft.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <5969d6cbecdave@davenoise.co.uk>
> "Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> >Have my own domain hosted by 123-reg. Only used for email. Also a BTmail
> >account.
> >
> >123 reg have abolished pophost. On their website, they did an 'upgrade'
> >to imap.
> >
> >And of course POPstar no longer downloads my emails from that domain - but
> >does still work with BT.
> >
> >In users, I've changed <pophost.123-reg.co.uk> to <imap.123-reg.co.uk:995>
> >which is about as far as I got by reading the blurb on the 123 site.

> My settings with Hermes for 132 reg is

> POP3 mail server:

> pop.123-reg.co.uk

> Port:

> 110

Think you'll find pop.123-reg.co.uk is being phased out. Hence my problem.

> >But then it doesn't work with Thunderbird either.

--
*Why isn't there mouse-flavoured cat food?

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: POPstar

<mpro.qzbsur03mxpp802yx.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=649&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#649

From: news@stevefryatt.org.uk (Steve Fryatt)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 15:42:32 +0100
 by: Steve Fryatt - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 14:42 UTC

On 12 Sep, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
<596ad59f38dave@davenoise.co.uk>:

> Think you'll find pop.123-reg.co.uk is being phased out. Hence my problem.

Various posters have now said that pophost.123-reg.co.uk is the one being
phased out, while pop.123-reg.co.uk isn't? It's worth checking to confirm,
as staying with POP on a different server is the easy option.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/

Re: POPstar

<0483e26a59.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=650&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#650

From: doug.j.webb@btinternet.com (Doug Webb)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 17:33:09 +0100
 by: Doug Webb - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 16:33 UTC

In message <93d6d16a59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

>> I would check with RComp first about IMAP use in NetFetch/Hermes as
>> according to their webpage it states only this for NetFetch/Hermes:

> IMAP is a protocol. Hermes/Netfetch, provide the mail transport functions
> to communicate with mail servers.

Hermes/Netfetch does not do IMAP it only does POP3/SMTP as far as I know.

>> So no mention of IMAP but their MessengerPro page says this:

> Messenger Pro has a built in IMAP server facility correct but its for your
> internal network as far as I am awhere.

You can use it to attach to your email server where ever that is on your
Lan/WAN/Internet etc.

In effect it is no different to POP in that you still connect to a email
server but in a different way and using a more modern set of protocols and
gives the ability to synchronise etc.

It is better for use when you have multiple products phones/tablets/pc etc
that people have and use on the move.

> Windows programs like Thunderbird, Outlook and say Windows Mail, combine
> the mail transport and email client functions into the one program.
> Whereas on RISCOS they are basically two programmes. Hermes/Popstar and
> your email client Messenger Pro/Pluto

You keep saying this Chris and you are right to a certain extent.

NetFetch/Hermes provide a POP/SMTP set of transports but not a IMAP/SMTP
set.

--
Experience the future using ARM Technology - ARMBook,BeagleBoard -xM,
PandaBoard,Raspberry Pi,iMX6/ARMX6,IGEPv5 & Titanium powered by RISC OS
5.28.

Re: POPstar

<1b22e36a59.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=651&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#651

From: doug.j.webb@btinternet.com (Doug Webb)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 17:39:56 +0100
 by: Doug Webb - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 16:39 UTC

In message <mpro.qzbsur03mxpp802yx.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>
Steve Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:

> On 12 Sep, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
> <596ad59f38dave@davenoise.co.uk>:

>> Think you'll find pop.123-reg.co.uk is being phased out. Hence my problem.

> Various posters have now said that pophost.123-reg.co.uk is the one being
> phased out, while pop.123-reg.co.uk isn't? It's worth checking to confirm,
> as staying with POP on a different server is the easy option.

Agree, Dave should check with 123-reg and confirm both pophost and pop
servers are going or if one is staying as it makes it easy then.

Also he just needs to see if he needs to do ssl(port995) or StartTLS
(Port110) etc.

Also he may need the newer AcornSSL module and associated components.

--
Experience the future using ARM Technology - ARMBook,BeagleBoard -xM,
PandaBoard,Raspberry Pi,iMX6/ARMX6,IGEPv5 & Titanium powered by RISC OS
5.28.

Re: POPstar

<cec2e36a59.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=652&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#652

From: doug.j.webb@btinternet.com (Doug Webb)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 17:46:47 +0100
 by: Doug Webb - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 16:46 UTC

In message <0483e26a59.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>
Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@btinternet.com> wrote:

> In message <93d6d16a59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

>> Windows programs like Thunderbird, Outlook and say Windows Mail, combine
>> the mail transport and email client functions into the one program.
>> Whereas on RISCOS they are basically two programmes. Hermes/Popstar and
>> your email client Messenger Pro/Pluto

> You keep saying this Chris and you are right to a certain extent.

> NetFetch/Hermes provide a POP/SMTP set of transports but not a IMAP/SMTP
> set.

I'm going to correct myself and add to the confusion as later versions of
MesengerPro include Hermetic which allow a more limited capability to use
Pop/SMTP without Netfetch/Hermes.

In effect Netfetch/Hermes is a more capable setup for Pop/SMTP and of
course you can use it with any email programs like MessengerPro/Pluto etc.

As I said Dave may be best calling RComp and discussing his options after
he has confirmed with 123-reg if it is pophost or pop versions of their
email servers that are being withdrawn or both.

--
Experience the future using ARM Technology - ARMBook,BeagleBoard -xM,
PandaBoard,Raspberry Pi,iMX6/ARMX6,IGEPv5 & Titanium powered by RISC OS
5.28.

Re: POPstar

<2fa4ec6a59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=653&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#653

From: news13@noonehere.co.uk (Chris Hughes)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 19:23:47 +0100
 by: Chris Hughes - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 18:23 UTC

In message <cec2e36a59.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>
Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@btinternet.com> wrote:

> In message <0483e26a59.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>
> Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@btinternet.com> wrote:

>> In message <93d6d16a59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>
>> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Windows programs like Thunderbird, Outlook and say Windows Mail, combine
>>> the mail transport and email client functions into the one program.
>>> Whereas on RISCOS they are basically two programmes. Hermes/Popstar and
>>> your email client Messenger Pro/Pluto

>> You keep saying this Chris and you are right to a certain extent.

>> NetFetch/Hermes provide a POP/SMTP set of transports but not a IMAP/SMTP
>> set.

The use of the word POP in this case in Hermes is just telling you to put
the incoming address, in this case its imap.123-reg.co.uk, it does not
have to say POP in the address.

> I'm going to correct myself and add to the confusion as later versions of
> MesengerPro include Hermetic which allow a more limited capability to use
> Pop/SMTP without Netfetch/Hermes.

> In effect Netfetch/Hermes is a more capable setup for Pop/SMTP and of
> course you can use it with any email programs like MessengerPro/Pluto etc.

Doug, up thread I have already provided the necessary details to be
entered into Hermes for it to work, taken directly from the 123.reg
website advising what logon/netowrk details you need.

I will quote it again. The same info works with Thunderbird

Quote:
123.reg website says the settings should be.

For the 'Incoming mail' section, enter imap.123-reg.co.uk as the incoming
mail server and use 993 for the Port. For the encryption method, select
SSL/TLS.

For the 'Outgoing mail' section, enter smtp.123-reg.co.uk as the outgoing
mail server and use 465 for the Port. For the encryption method, select
SSL/TLS.

I found the information via the following URL:

https://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/email/how-do-i-set-up-an-email-client-with-123-mail/

all one line!

They have a specific section on Thunderbird on that page as well.

End Quote:

> As I said Dave may be best calling RComp and discussing his options after
> he has confirmed with 123-reg if it is pophost or pop versions of their
> email servers that are being withdrawn or both.

--
Chris Hughes

Re: POPstar

<4704f36a59.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=654&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#654

From: doug.j.webb@btinternet.com (Doug Webb)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 20:33:25 +0100
 by: Doug Webb - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 19:33 UTC

In message <2fa4ec6a59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>
Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:

> Doug, up thread I have already provided the necessary details to be
> entered into Hermes for it to work, taken directly from the 123.reg
> website advising what logon/netowrk details you need.

> I will quote it again. The same info works with Thunderbird

> Quote:
> 123.reg website says the settings should be.

> For the 'Incoming mail' section, enter imap.123-reg.co.uk as the incoming
> mail server and use 993 for the Port. For the encryption method, select
> SSL/TLS.

> For the 'Outgoing mail' section, enter smtp.123-reg.co.uk as the outgoing
> mail server and use 465 for the Port. For the encryption method, select
> SSL/TLS.

> I found the information via the following URL:

> https://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/email/how-do-i-set-up-an-email-client-wi
> th-123-mail/

> all one line!

> They have a specific section on Thunderbird on that page as well.

That will work only if Hermes has a IMAP client and supports the IMAP
protocol which is where I beg to differ with you.

The SMTP part for outgoing will work in Hermes just not the IMAP for
incoming.

So I think I will leave it there Chris as I don't think I am going to be
of any further help as I believe that Hermes doesn't do IMAP protocol and
you assert it does and even tests I have made to Outlook email addresses
using Hermes and Port 993, which essentially the same as 123-reg setup you
are suggesting doesn't work with Hermes here.

Hermes will only work with Port 995 or 110 which is Pop3s/POP3 protocol
ports.

RemoteNB within MessengerPro will work with Port 993/IMAP and indeed I
have tested that to Outlook email and it works.

The setup on 123-reg will work with Thunderbird as that does IMAP as well
as Pop3s/Pop3.

As I said below best for Dave to confirm with RComp before he spends money
or as others have suggested discuss with 123-reg if indeed ALL Pop3 access
is being turned off.

>> As I said Dave may be best calling RComp and discussing his options after
>> he has confirmed with 123-reg if it is pophost or pop versions of their
>> email servers that are being withdrawn or both.

As ever I am open to being educated and its been good to discuss this with
everyone :-)

--
Experience the future using ARM Technology - ARMBook,BeagleBoard -xM,
PandaBoard,Raspberry Pi,iMX6/ARMX6,IGEPv5 & Titanium powered by RISC OS
5.28.

Re: POPstar

<596b555c9adave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=658&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#658

From: dave@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 14:27:37 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 13:27 UTC

In article <mpro.qzbsur03mxpp802yx.news@stevefryatt.org.uk>,
Steve Fryatt <news@stevefryatt.org.uk> wrote:
> On 12 Sep, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
> <596ad59f38dave@davenoise.co.uk>:

> > Think you'll find pop.123-reg.co.uk is being phased out. Hence my problem.

> Various posters have now said that pophost.123-reg.co.uk is the one being
> phased out, while pop.123-reg.co.uk isn't? It's worth checking to confirm,
> as staying with POP on a different server is the easy option.

Using the migrate button on my page on the 123-reg site, only thing it
changed was to add imap.123-reg.co.uk above pop.123-reg.co.uk as incoming
servers.

It didn't alter the forward box that everything went to from
*******@pophost.123-reg.co.uk and if that is the problem, why not? And why
didn't the helpline (or blurb) head this up as the problem, rather than
going on about changing to the imap incoming server?

BTW, if the pophost is being phased out, what would the new one be called?

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things?

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: POPstar

<3791746b59.DaveMeUK@BeagleBoard-xM>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=660&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#660

From: dave@davehigton.me.uk (David Higton)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 20:08:28 +0100
 by: David Higton - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 19:08 UTC

In message <596b555c9adave@davenoise.co.uk>
"Dave Plowman (News)" <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> BTW, if the pophost is being phased out, what would the new one be called?

pop.123-reg.co.uk

David

Re: POPstar

<shpu3v$bsd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=661&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#661

From: news@druck.org.uk (druck)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 11:38:55 +0100
 by: druck - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 10:38 UTC

On 12/09/2021 17:33, Doug Webb wrote:
> In message <93d6d16a59.chris@mytarbis.plus.com>
> Chris Hughes <news13@noonehere.co.uk> wrote:
>> Messenger Pro has a built in IMAP server facility correct but its for your
>> internal network as far as I am awhere.
>
> You can use it to attach to your email server where ever that is on your
> Lan/WAN/Internet etc.
>
> In effect it is no different to POP in that you still connect to a email
> server but in a different way and using a more modern set of protocols and
> gives the ability to synchronise etc.

It is a bit different to POP; with POP you download the email from the
server to your device, where it is then stored and available even when
offline. With IMAP the email usually remains stored on the server, not
locally, and you need to be online to read it.

Just remember if storing on someone else's server, it may not be backed
up, and there may be a limited amount of space, which can be used up if
you get a lot of large attachments.

> It is better for use when you have multiple products phones/tablets/pc etc
> that people have and use on the move.

It can be easier with multiple devices, as every device can access all
the email on the server, and once its read on one device, its marked
read on all.

You can use POP with multiple devices, you normally set all but one of
your devices to leave email on the sever after downloading it, so the
other devices can also get it. On the computer which you want to store
the email, set it to delete from the server. The two disadvantages of
this are; when the computer set to delete downloads emails, other
devices may not have fetched them all first. The other is when you read
an email on one device, it still unread on all the others - although I
find it useful that an email I quickly glance at on the phone, is still
unread on the laptop where I am more likely to reply to it.

Note to self: It's now 6 years since I wanted to set one of my Raspberry
Pi's as IMAP server, and I still haven't gone live with it!

---druck

Re: POPstar

<1c66d96b59.dougjwebb@btinternet.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=662&group=comp.sys.acorn.apps#662

From: doug.j.webb@btinternet.com (Doug Webb)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.acorn.apps
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 14:29:49 +0100
 by: Doug Webb - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 13:29 UTC

In message <shpu3v$bsd$1@dont-email.me>
druck <news@druck.org.uk> wrote:

>> You can use it to attach to your email server where ever that is on your
>> Lan/WAN/Internet etc.
>>
>> In effect it is no different to POP in that you still connect to a email
>> server but in a different way and using a more modern set of protocols and
>> gives the ability to synchronise etc.

> It is a bit different to POP; with POP you download the email from the
> server to your device, where it is then stored and available even when
> offline. With IMAP the email usually remains stored on the server, not
> locally, and you need to be online to read it.

Dave, Thanks for the fuller explanation and yes I knew that but was just
trying to keep things as simple as possible and perhaps ended up being to
simplistic.

On your last point you can have downloaded local copies with IMAP
depending on your client, though its not set as standard/default, just as
you say you can have the emails stored on line still with POP.

> Just remember if storing on someone else's server, it may not be backed
> up, and there may be a limited amount of space, which can be used up if
> you get a lot of large attachments.

A very valid point, as usual be aware and backup and backup again.