Your good nature will bring unbounded happiness.

computers / alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent / New Reinstallation of Agent 6

SubjectAuthor
* New Reinstallation of Agent 6Ken Blake
+* Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Ken Blake
|`* Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Ken Blake
| `* Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Ralph Fox
|  `* Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Ken Blake
|   `* Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Manfred Polak
|    +- Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Ken Blake
|    `- Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Ken Blake
+* Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Ralph Fox
|`* Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Ken Blake
| +* Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Manfred Polak
| |+* Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Nobody
| ||`* Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Manfred Polak
| || `- Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Ken Blake
| |`* Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Ken Blake
| | `* Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Manfred Polak
| |  `- Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Ken Blake
| `* Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Ralph Fox
|  +- Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Ken Blake
|  `* Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Ken Blake
|   `* Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Ken Blake
|    `* Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Ralph Fox
|     `- Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Ken Blake
`* Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Arthur T.
 `* Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Ken Blake
  `* Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Ken Blake
   `* Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Ken Blake
    `- Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6Arthur T.

Pages:12
New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<eal4vh1v90ktrgdch6ihqno3alkq2d66km@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4796&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4796

From: ken@invalid.address.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: New Reinstallation of Agent 6
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:12:21 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 17:12 UTC

I recently did a clean reinstallation of Windows Professional, and
switched to using Thunderbird for Usenet. But I had a few problem with
it and didn't like some things there, so I decided to go back to
Agent 6.0 (just for Usenet, not e-mail).

It's installed now, and I'm using it to write this message, but there
are a few things I don't remember how to do

1. How can I have the major header fields displayed in each message? I
don't want to see them all.

2. When I download new messages, how can I get the headers *and*
bodies, not just headers?

3. Is there a way to have agent periodically download new messages
without my telling it to do it?

4. How can I edit the toolbar? I want to remove some of the icons
there I will never use, such as those for e-mail.

5. How can I switch between seeing only unread messages (which I want
to be the default) to seeing all messages (which I want tod do now and
then?

And one final question, one I've asked before, but I don't remember
the answer to: Should I consider buying Agent 8.0? Why? Since I don't
download binaries, would there be any advantage to me? It doesn't cost
a fortune, but I'd still rather not spend the $30 unless there's a
significant advantage to it for me.

Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<37m4vh54h7h2q608k878k78ljndfpn7mmi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4797&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4797

From: ken@invalid.address.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Subject: Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:16:00 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 17:16 UTC

On Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:12:21 -0700, Ken Blake
<ken@invalid.address.com> wrote:

>I recently did a clean reinstallation of Windows Professional, and
>switched to using Thunderbird for Usenet. But I had a few problem with
>it and didn't like some things there, so I decided to go back to
>Agent 6.0 (just for Usenet, not e-mail).
>
>It's installed now, and I'm using it to write this message, but there
>are a few things I don't remember how to do
>
>1. How can I have the major header fields displayed in each message? I
>don't want to see them all.
>
>2. When I download new messages, how can I get the headers *and*
>bodies, not just headers?
>
>3. Is there a way to have agent periodically download new messages
>without my telling it to do it?
>
>4. How can I edit the toolbar? I want to remove some of the icons
>there I will never use, such as those for e-mail.
>
>5. How can I switch between seeing only unread messages (which I want
>to be the default) to seeing all messages (which I want tod do now and
>then?
>
>And one final question, one I've asked before, but I don't remember
>the answer to: Should I consider buying Agent 8.0? Why? Since I don't
>download binaries, would there be any advantage to me? It doesn't cost
>a fortune, but I'd still rather not spend the $30 unless there's a
>significant advantage to it for me.

One other question: when I click the "Get New Headers in Desks," how
can I have it not display the dialog box asking me to confirm that's
what I want?

Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<mgm4vhtl3rj0h0ktk4ch7ivo6p96taskjn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4798&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4798

From: ken@invalid.address.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:20:45 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 17:20 UTC

On Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:16:00 -0700, Ken Blake
<ken@invalid.address.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:12:21 -0700, Ken Blake
><ken@invalid.address.com> wrote:
>
>>I recently did a clean reinstallation of Windows Professional, and
>>switched to using Thunderbird for Usenet. But I had a few problem with
>>it and didn't like some things there, so I decided to go back to
>>Agent 6.0 (just for Usenet, not e-mail).
>>
>>It's installed now, and I'm using it to write this message, but there
>>are a few things I don't remember how to do
>>
>>1. How can I have the major header fields displayed in each message? I
>>don't want to see them all.
>>
>>2. When I download new messages, how can I get the headers *and*
>>bodies, not just headers?
>>
>>3. Is there a way to have agent periodically download new messages
>>without my telling it to do it?
>>
>>4. How can I edit the toolbar? I want to remove some of the icons
>>there I will never use, such as those for e-mail.
>>
>>5. How can I switch between seeing only unread messages (which I want
>>to be the default) to seeing all messages (which I want tod do now and
>>then?
>>
>>And one final question, one I've asked before, but I don't remember
>>the answer to: Should I consider buying Agent 8.0? Why? Since I don't
>>download binaries, would there be any advantage to me? It doesn't cost
>>a fortune, but I'd still rather not spend the $30 unless there's a
>>significant advantage to it for me.
>

>One other question: when I click the "Get New Headers in Desks," how
>can I have it not display the dialog box asking me to confirm that's
>what I want?

And still another question: how can I have threading permanently
turned on for all newsgroups?

Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<esm4vh9enbtccjvbsph3hajrs9vmhaft3c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4799&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4799

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 06:43:14 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 17:43 UTC

<https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#4B2494B42214844788256C1E005A25EF>

<https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#38CBDBB51CE5920C88256C1E005A25E6>

<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/c/VLgODmu71pg>

> 4. How can I edit the toolbar? I want to remove some of the icons
> there I will never use, such as those for e-mail.

Help >> Index >> Toolbars, customizing

<https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#4C7CE13F88AE56CA8825703B005D1220>

<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/c/DFpNKv2ohfs>

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<cbq4vhtvcgh19kpv5t24f9ak97rdt1e6b7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4800&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4800

From: ken@invalid.address.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 11:51:20 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 18:51 UTC

On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 06:43:14 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:12:21 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> I recently did a clean reinstallation of Windows Professional, and
>> switched to using Thunderbird for Usenet. But I had a few problem with
>> it and didn't like some things there, so I decided to go back to
>> Agent 6.0 (just for Usenet, not e-mail).
>>
>> It's installed now, and I'm using it to write this message, but there
>> are a few things I don't remember how to do
>>
>> 1. How can I have the major header fields displayed in each message? I
>> don't want to see them all.
>
><https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#4B2494B42214844788256C1E005A25EF>

Yes, thanks; I had seen that before. But that diplays all the headers,
I was hopeng I could just display the major headers.

>> 2. When I download new messages, how can I get the headers *and*
>> bodies, not just headers?
>
><https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#38CBDBB51CE5920C88256C1E005A25E6>

Got it. Done.

>> 3. Is there a way to have agent periodically download new messages
>> without my telling it to do it?
>
><https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/c/VLgODmu71pg>

OK, I guess ir's the same answer now as ir wa sthen. Thanks.

>> 4. How can I edit the toolbar? I want to remove some of the icons
>> there I will never use, such as those for e-mail.
>
>Help >> Index >> Toolbars, customizing

Thanks. I had looked for it in Tools > Options but I had missed it.

>> 5. How can I switch between seeing only unread messages (which I want
>> to be the default) to seeing all messages (which I want tod do now and
>> then?
>
><https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#4C7CE13F88AE56CA8825703B005D1220

OK, I can switch between them in the menu bar. That page also says
"For convenience you can place the Message View commands on the
toolbar" and that's what I want, but it doesn't say how to do that.
Can you tell me how?

>> And one final question, one I've asked before, but I don't remember
>> the answer to: Should I consider buying Agent 8.0? Why? Since I don't
>> download binaries, would there be any advantage to me? It doesn't cost
>> a fortune, but I'd still rather not spend the $30 unless there's a
>> significant advantage to it for me.
>
><https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/c/DFpNKv2ohfs>

Yes, as I said, I knew I had asked before. The only reason I asked
again was in the hope that someone had more information about whether
it made sense for me to do it. I guess not, so I'll stick with my
decision not to do it.

Thanks again.

Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<20230220.000034.auof.9812@polak.dyn.dhs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4801&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4801

From: ma.po@gmx.com (Manfred Polak)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 00:00:34 +0100
 by: Manfred Polak - Sun, 19 Feb 2023 23:00 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 06:43:14 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:12:21 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
>>
>>> 1. How can I have the major header fields displayed in each message? I
>>> don't want to see them all.
>>
>><https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#4B2494B42214844788256C1E005A25EF>
>

>Yes, thanks; I had seen that before. But that diplays all the headers,
>I was hopeng I could just display the major headers.

agent.ini ->

[Article]
NewsBaseFields=
MailBaseFields=

For detailed information: Agent Help -> Reference -> AGENT.INI

Manfred

Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<d5l5vhdh174dt3oo86kgqik21rvgrcg39d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4802&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4802

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 18:05:05 -0800
 by: Nobody - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 02:05 UTC

On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 00:00:34 +0100, Manfred Polak <ma.po@gmx.com>
wrote:

>Ken Blake wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 06:43:14 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>>wrote:

>>><https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#4B2494B42214844788256C1E005A25EF>
>>

>>Yes, thanks; I had seen that before. But that diplays all the headers,
>>I was hopeng I could just display the major headers.
>
>agent.ini ->
>
>[Article]
>NewsBaseFields=
>MailBaseFields=
>
>For detailed information: Agent Help -> Reference -> AGENT.INI
>

>Manfred

Shirley, View > (uncheck) *Show All Header Fields* would be
eaiser/preferable?

Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<j9t5vhh2ufvao3bbnr6397qmhrs6gdig90@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4804&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4804

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 17:47:08 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 04:47 UTC

On Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:20:45 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:16:00 -0700, Ken Blake
> <ken@invalid.address.com> wrote:
>
>> One other question: when I click the "Get New Headers in Desks," how
>> can I have it not display the dialog box asking me to confirm that's
>> what I want?

If you do not want to confirm which desks [plural] you want new
headers in, then use the toolbar button "Get New Headers in Current
Desk" instead.

The trade-of is that you have to be in the desk where you want the
new headers, before you click the button. Otherwise current desk
may not be the desk you want.

> And still another question: how can I have threading permanently
> turned on for all newsgroups?

Select multiple newsgroups and use the "View >> Sort Messages By"
menu. Here, once I turn on threading for a newsgroup it does not
turn off by itself.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

"๐˜๐˜ง ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ช๐˜ค๐˜ฌ ๐˜ถ๐˜ฑ ๐˜ข ๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ท๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ๐˜จ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ฌ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฎ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ด, ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ญ๐˜ญ ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต
๐˜ฃ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฆ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ. ๐˜›๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ค๐˜ช๐˜ฑ๐˜ข๐˜ญ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ช๐˜ง๐˜ง๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ค๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ธ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ข ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ๐˜จ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ข ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ."
-- ๐–ฌ๐–บ๐—‹๐—„ ๐–ณ๐—๐–บ๐—‚๐—‡

Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<jqd6vht09p0t1ecftl21cat3uqv0acgmao@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4805&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4805

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 22:07:17 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 09:07 UTC

<http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_cbq4vhtv__help_-_index_-_toolbars_-_customizing.gif>

--
Kind regards
Ralph

ฮถฮทฯ„ฮตแฟ–ฯ„ฮต ฮบฮฑแฝถ ฮตแฝ‘ฯฮฎฯƒฮตฯ„ฮต

Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<20230220.131444.auof.9813@polak.dyn.dhs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4806&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4806

From: ma.po@gmx.com (Manfred Polak)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 13:14:40 +0100
 by: Manfred Polak - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 12:14 UTC

Nobody wrote:

> [...]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>>agent.ini ->
>>
>>[Article]
>>NewsBaseFields=
>>MailBaseFields=
>
>Shirley, View > (uncheck) *Show All Header Fields* would be
>eaiser/preferable?

Toggling this without the agent.ini edit shows either all or no header
fields. This is NOT what Ken wants.

Manfred

Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<dev6vhpi6vggfpsr9898hnda31irkcikvu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4807&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4807

From: ken@invalid.address.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 07:11:15 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 14:11 UTC

On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 17:47:08 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:20:45 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 19 Feb 2023 10:16:00 -0700, Ken Blake
>> <ken@invalid.address.com> wrote:
>>
>>> One other question: when I click the "Get New Headers in Desks," how
>>> can I have it not display the dialog box asking me to confirm that's
>>> what I want?
>
>If you do not want to confirm which desks [plural] you want new
>headers in, then use the toolbar button "Get New Headers in Current
>Desk" instead.

Done.Thanks again.

>The trade-of is that you have to be in the desk where you want the
>new headers, before you click the button. Otherwise current desk
>may not be the desk you want.
>

>> And still another question: how can I have threading permanently
>> turned on for all newsgroups?
>
>Select multiple newsgroups and use the "View >> Sort Messages By"
>menu.

OK, I got that far, then I selected Date>Thread with newest message
first, but threading is still not turned on. Is there something else I
need to do?

Here, once I turn on threading for a newsgroup it does not
>turn off by itself.

Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<efv6vh9rf24rlpq8ihmdt1u9t2po1np933@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4808&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4808

From: ken@invalid.address.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 07:19:07 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 14:19 UTC

On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 22:07:17 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Feb 2023 11:51:20 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 06:43:14 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> <https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#4C7CE13F88AE56CA8825703B005D1220>
>>
>> OK, I can switch between them in the menu bar. That page also says
>> "For convenience you can place the Message View commands on the
>> toolbar" and that's what I want, but it doesn't say how to do that.
>> Can you tell me how?
>
><http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_cbq4vhtv__help_-_index_-_toolbars_-_customizing.gif>

OK. No time now, I have to go out, but I'll try thi later. Thanks.

Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<20230220.154140.auof.9814@polak.dyn.dhs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4809&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4809

From: ma.po@gmx.com (Manfred Polak)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 15:41:40 +0100
 by: Manfred Polak - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 14:41 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 17:47:08 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>Select multiple newsgroups and use the "View >> Sort Messages By"
>>menu.
>
>OK, I got that far, then I selected Date>Thread with newest message
>first, but threading is still not turned on. Is there something else I
>need to do?

It should work, but if it still doen't, click on the pentangle with the
plus sign next to "Lines".

Manfred

Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<igd7vhdu7dq0oodfl36irnsthjd3cl6t3n@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4810&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4810

From: ken@invalid.address.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 11:04:47 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 18:04 UTC

On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 15:41:40 +0100, Manfred Polak <ma.po@gmx.com>
wrote:

>Ken Blake wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 17:47:08 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Select multiple newsgroups and use the "View >> Sort Messages By"
>>>menu.
>>
>>OK, I got that far, then I selected Date>Thread with newest message
>>first, but threading is still not turned on. Is there something else I
>>need to do?
>
>It should work, but if it still doen't, click on the pentangle with the
>plus sign next to "Lines".

I had tried that. It didn't help. I must be doing something else
wrong.

Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<rod7vh9mnee5j2174skt3pme014c5fgipi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4811&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4811

From: ken@invalid.address.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 11:11:37 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 18:11 UTC

wrote:

>Ken Blake wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 06:43:14 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>>wrote:

>>><https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#4B2494B42214844788256C1E005A25EF>
>>

>>Yes, thanks; I had seen that before. But that diplays all the headers,
>>I was hopeng I could just display the major headers.
>
>agent.ini ->
>
>[Article]
>NewsBaseFields=
>MailBaseFields=
>
>For detailed information: Agent Help -> Reference -> AGENT.INI

Thanks.

It read NewsBaseFields= so I changed it to

NewsBaseFields="Newsgroups,Reply-To,X-Newsreader,User-Agent,X-Mailer,X-Newsposter,Distribution,Followup-To"

but all it shows is Newsgroups,Reply-To,User-Agent

That's better, but I'd like a couple more fields.

Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<7vd7vhhd7enc0v9ocjr6gia63cjqof0mtc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4812&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4812

From: ken@invalid.address.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 11:12:57 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 18:12 UTC

On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 13:14:40 +0100, Manfred Polak <ma.po@gmx.com>
wrote:

>Nobody wrote:

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>>>agent.ini ->
>>>
>>>[Article]
>>>NewsBaseFields=
>>>MailBaseFields=
>>
>>Shirley, View > (uncheck) *Show All Header Fields* would be
>>eaiser/preferable?
>
>Toggling this without the agent.ini edit shows either all or no header
>fields. This is NOT what Ken wants.

Yes, that's what I had been showing, but I wanted to show less. Your
suggestion helped but now I want a little more.

Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<9ic7vh9hngu92lrj630jiqiscifu983gr7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4813&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4813

From: ken@invalid.address.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 11:18:33 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 18:18 UTC

wrote:

>Ken Blake wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 17:47:08 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Select multiple newsgroups and use the "View >> Sort Messages By"
>>>menu.
>>
>>OK, I got that far, then I selected Date>Thread with newest message
>>first, but threading is still not turned on. Is there something else I
>>need to do?
>
>It should work, but if it still doen't, click on the pentangle with the
>plus sign next to "Lines".

I had tried that. It didn't help.

Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<tuf7vh1draosk9catubl6vv6jfjiooha2t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4815&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4815

From: ken@invalid.address.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 11:49:13 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 18:49 UTC

wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Feb 2023 11:51:20 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 06:43:14 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> <https://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php#4C7CE13F88AE56CA8825703B005D1220>
>>
>> OK, I can switch between them in the menu bar. That page also says
>> "For convenience you can place the Message View commands on the
>> toolbar" and that's what I want, but it doesn't say how to do that.
>> Can you tell me how?
>
><http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_cbq4vhtv__help_-_index_-_toolbars_-_customizing.gif>

OK, thanks again. I've done that and it works.

But a very minor point/question. It's no big deal, bu tI'd like to
chance the text on the two icons I now show from "1" to "Unread" and
from "2" to "All." I suspect that there's no easy way to do that, but
I thought I would ask.

Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<66h7vhp9qdj88v0dhscg6mtpld7sg3451o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4816&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4816

From: ken@invalid.address.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 12:07:30 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 19:07 UTC

On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 11:49:13 -0700, Ken Blake
<ken@invalid.address.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 22:07:17 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 19 Feb 2023 11:51:20 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:

>>> OK, I can switch between them in the menu bar. That page also says
>>> "For convenience you can place the Message View commands on the
>>> toolbar" and that's what I want, but it doesn't say how to do that.
>>> Can you tell me how?
>>
>><http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=26_cbq4vhtv__help_-_index_-_toolbars_-_customizing.gif>
>

>OK, thanks again. I've done that and it works.
>

>But a very minor point/question. It's no big deal, bu tI'd like to
>chance the text on the two icons I now show from "1" to "Unread" and
>from "2" to "All." I suspect that there's no easy way to do that, but
>I thought I would ask.

A minor correction: that should be from "5" to "All."

Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<cej7vhhrsrvetkeo1aqpoalo6hp4djudo7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4817&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4817

From: arthur@munged.invalid (Arthur T.)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 14:49:00 -0500
 by: Arthur T. - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 19:49 UTC

In Message-ID:<eal4vh1v90ktrgdch6ihqno3alkq2d66km@4ax.com>,
Ken Blake <ken@invalid.address.com> wrote:

>I recently did a clean reinstallation of Windows Professional, and
>switched to using Thunderbird for Usenet. But I had a few problem with
>it and didn't like some things there, so I decided to go back to
>Agent 6.0 (just for Usenet, not e-mail).
>
>It's installed now, and I'm using it to write this message, but there
>are a few things I don't remember how to do

I'm a little late, but did you try copying Agent's data directory
(which includes the ini file) from the backup you made before the
destructive reinstall of Windows? That would bring you back to where
you were before, and all you'd have to do is disable all of the
e-mail settings.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<20230220.205551.auof.9818@polak.dyn.dhs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4818&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4818

From: ma.po@gmx.com (Manfred Polak)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 20:55:50 +0100
 by: Manfred Polak - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 19:55 UTC

Ken Blake wrote:

>It read NewsBaseFields= so I changed it to
>
>NewsBaseFields="Newsgroups,Reply-To,X-Newsreader,User-Agent,X-Mailer,X-Newsposter,Distribution,Followup-To"
>
>but all it shows is Newsgroups,Reply-To,User-Agent
>
>That's better, but I'd like a couple more fields.

The missing header fields are not mandatory. Are you shure they
are in the postings/mails you looked at?

Manfred

Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<4bq7vh16j6qrmg85huq803m4k26jquof5b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4819&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4819

From: ken@invalid.address.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 14:44:28 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 21:44 UTC

On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 14:49:00 -0500, Arthur T. <arthur@munged.invalid>
wrote:

>In Message-ID:<eal4vh1v90ktrgdch6ihqno3alkq2d66km@4ax.com>,
>Ken Blake <ken@invalid.address.com> wrote:
>
>>I recently did a clean reinstallation of Windows Professional, and
>>switched to using Thunderbird for Usenet. But I had a few problem with
>>it and didn't like some things there, so I decided to go back to
>>Agent 6.0 (just for Usenet, not e-mail).
>>
>>It's installed now, and I'm using it to write this message, but there
>>are a few things I don't remember how to do
>
>I'm a little late, but did you try copying Agent's data directory
>(which includes the ini file) from the backup you made before the
>destructive reinstall of Windows? That would bring you back to where
>you were before, and all you'd have to do is disable all of the
>e-mail settings.

That had been my plan, but at this point I can't remember whether or
not I remembered to do it. Perhaps I'll do that tomorrow.

Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<4fq7vh9kg3l2qbpee7uvje0e5tjjqi298f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4820&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4820

From: ken@invalid.address.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 14:46:05 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Mon, 20 Feb 2023 21:46 UTC

On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 20:55:50 +0100, Manfred Polak <ma.po@gmx.com>
wrote:

>Ken Blake wrote:
>
>>It read NewsBaseFields= so I changed it to
>>
>>NewsBaseFields="Newsgroups,Reply-To,X-Newsreader,User-Agent,X-Mailer,X-Newsposter,Distribution,Followup-To"
>>
>>but all it shows is Newsgroups,Reply-To,User-Agent
>>
>>That's better, but I'd like a couple more fields.
>
>The missing header fields are not mandatory. Are you shure they
>are in the postings/mails you looked at?

Just Usenet postings. I don't use Agent for e-mail.

Yes, I'm sure. I've checked lots of postings.

Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<ick8vh52m8q1l60s42i0crdvr5oqahctu1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4821&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4821

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 18:36:59 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 05:36 UTC

<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/c/MPUKm-72DQw/m/sZ48qW7AAwAJ>

--
Kind regards
Ralph

ๅญๆ›ฐใ€‚ไธๆ†คไธๅ•“ใ€ไธ ๆ‚ฑไธ็™ผใ€‚ๆ“งไธ€้š…ไธไปฅไธ‰้š…ๅใ€ๅ‰‡ไธๅพฉไนŸใ€‚
-- ่ซ–่ชž 7:8

Re: New Reinstallation of Agent 6

<pii9vh1jgttht19hv5bcu6ngsl324jij0e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=4824&group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent#4824

From: ken@invalid.address.com (Ken Blake)
Newsgroups: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2023 06:44:17 -0700
 by: Ken Blake - Tue, 21 Feb 2023 13:44 UTC

On Tue, 21 Feb 2023 18:36:59 +1300, Ralph Fox <-rf-nz-@-.invalid>
wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 12:07:30 -0700, Ken Blake wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 11:49:13 -0700, Ken Blake
>> <ken@invalid.address.com> wrote:
>>
>>> But a very minor point/question. It's no big deal, bu tI'd like to
>>> chance the text on the two icons I now show from "1" to "Unread" and
>>> from "2" to "All." I suspect that there's no easy way to do that, but
>>> I thought I would ask.
>>
>> A minor correction: that should be from "5" to "All."
>

><https://groups.google.com/g/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent/c/MPUKm-72DQw/m/sZ48qW7AAwAJ>

Thanks once more. As you've undoubtedly guessed, my 85-year-old brain
is not very good at remembering things.