"Plastic gun. Ingenious. More coffee, please." -- The Phantom comics

computers / alt.fan.usenet / Re: What is Usenet?

SubjectAuthor
* Online talk: "Federation and moderation: Usenet as the originalUsenet Big-8 Management Board
+* Re: Online talk: "Federation and moderation: Usenet as the originalG.K.
|+* Re: Online talk: "Federation and moderation: Usenet as the originalTristan Miller
||`* Re: Online talk: "Federation and moderation: Usenet as the original decentralizeTheo
|| +- Re: Online talk: "Federation and moderation: Usenet as the original decentralizeStefan Ram
|| `- Re: Online talk: "Federation and moderation: Usenet as the originalTristan Miller
|`- Re: Online talk: "Federation and moderation: Usenet as the originalChristian Mumford
+* Re: Online talk: "Federation and moderation: Usenet as the originalGrant Taylor
|`* Re: Online talk: "Federation and moderation: Usenet as the originalTristan Miller
| `- Re: Online talk: "Federation and moderation: Usenet as the originalGrant Taylor
+* Re: Online talk: "Federation and moderation: Usenet as the originalAdam H. Kerman
|`* Re: Online talk: "Federation and moderation: Usenet as the originalTristan Miller
| `* Re: Online talk: "Federation and moderation: Usenet as the originalAdam H. Kerman
|  `* What is Usenet? (Was: Re: Online talk: "Federation and moderation: Usenet as theSn!pe
|   +* Re: What is Usenet?DrunkenThon
|   |`* Re: What is Usenet?Sn!pe
|   | +* Re: What is Usenet?DrunkenThon
|   | |`* Re: What is Usenet?Sn!pe
|   | | `* Re: What is Usenet?DrunkenThon
|   | |  `* Re: What is Usenet?Scott Dorsey
|   | |   `- Re: What is Usenet?Sn!pe
|   | `* Re: What is Usenet?Adam H. Kerman
|   |  `- Re: What is Usenet?Sn!pe
|   `* Re: What is Usenet? (Was: Re: Online talk: "Federation andSteve Bonine
|    `- Re: What is Usenet?Sn!pe
`* Re: Online talk: "Federation and moderation: Usenet as the originalTristan Miller
 `- Re: Online talk: "Federation and moderation: Usenet as the originalTavis Ormandy

Pages:12
Re: What is Usenet?

<uileij$iut$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=384&group=alt.fan.usenet#384

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: news.groups,alt.fan.usenet
Subject: Re: What is Usenet?
Date: 10 Nov 2023 14:26:27 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 14:26 UTC

DrunkenThon <drunkenthon@gmail.com> wrote:

>Oh, I see. But that wacky guy was my silly analogy to spam, of course. ;)

Larry Doering posted the following to talk.bizarre in the mid-nineties:

] THINK of the computer highway AS a highway.
]
] There it is again. Some clueless FOOL talking about the "Information
] Superhighway." They don't know JACK about the Net. It's NOTHING
] like a Superhighway. That's a BAD metaphor.
]
] Yeah, but suppose the metaphor ran in the OTHER direction. Suppose
] the HIGHWAYS were like the NET. All right! Severe craziness. A
] highway HUNDREDS of lanes wide. Most with potholes. Privately
] operated bridges and overpasses. No highway patrol. A couple of
] rent-a-cops on bicycles with broken whistles. 500 member VIGILANTE
] POSSES with nuclear weapons. 237 ON RAMPS at every intersection. NO
] SIGNS. Wanna get to Ensenada? Holler out the window at a passing
] truck to ask directions. AD HOC traffic laws. Some lanes would VOTE
] to make use by a single-occupant-vehicle a CAPITAL OFFENSE on Monday
] through Friday between 7:00 and 9:00. Other lanes would just SHOOT
] you without a trial for talking on a car phone.
]
] AOL would be a giant diesel-smoking BUS with hundreds of EBOLA
] victims and a TOILET spewing out on the road behind it. Throwing
] DEAD WOMBATS and rotten cabbage at the other cars most of which
] have been ASSEMBLED AT HOME from kits. Some are 2.5 horsepower
] LAWNMOWER ENGINES with a top speed of nine miles an hour. Others
] burn NITROGLYCERINE and IDLE at 120.
]
] No license tags. World War II BOMBER NOSE ART instead. Terrifying
] paintings of huge teeth or VAMPIRE EAGLES. Bumper mounted MACHINE
] GUNS. Flip somebody the finger on this highway and get a WHITE
] PHOSPHORUS GRENADE up your tailpipe. Flatbed trucks with ANTI-
] AIRCRAFT MISSILE BATTERIES to shoot down the KRUD Traffic Watch
] helicopter. A little kid on a tricycle with a squirtgun filled with
] HYDROCHLORIC ACID.
]
] NO OFFRAMPS.
]
] Now THAT'S the way to run an Interstate Highway system.

I hope this is helpful. Much of this applies to Usenet.
--scott

Re: What is Usenet?

<1qjzj7c.17exnid1xyfucbN%snipeco.2@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=385&group=alt.fan.usenet#385

From: snipeco.2@gmail.com (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: news.groups,alt.fan.usenet
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 15:05:21 +0000
 by: Sn!pe - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 15:05 UTC

Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:

[...]

> ] NO OFFRAMPS.
> ]
> ] Now THAT'S the way to run an Interstate Highway system.
>

> I hope this is helpful. Much of this applies to Usenet.
> --scott

Excellent, archived. Thank you, Scott.

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator.
My pet rock Gordon just is.

Google Groups articles not seen unless poster is whitelisted.

computers / alt.fan.usenet / Re: What is Usenet?