Mirrors should reflect a little before throwing back images. -- Jean Cocteau

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Fontsize in message body

SubjectAuthor
* Fontsize in message bodyJesper Kaas
+* Re: Fontsize in message bodyJesper Kaas
|`* Re: Fontsize in message bodyJesper
| +- Re: Fontsize in message bodyJesper Kaas
| `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyPaul
|  `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyJesper
|   `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyBig Al
|    `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyEd Cryer
|     +- Re: Fontsize in message bodyBig Al
|     `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyRalph Fox
|      +- Re: Fontsize in message bodyEd Cryer
|      `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyAndy Burns
|       `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyEd Cryer
|        `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyEd Cryer
|         +- Re: Fontsize in message bodyAndy Burns
|         `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyPaul
|          `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyEd Cryer
|           `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyPaul
|            `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyEd Cryer
|             `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyAndy Burns
|              `- Re: Fontsize in message bodyEd Cryer
+* Re: Fontsize in message bodyRalph Fox
|`* Re: Fontsize in message bodyJesper
| +* Re: Fontsize in message bodyBig Al
| |`* Re: Fontsize in message bodyJesper Kaas
| | `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyJörg Lorenz
| |  `- Re: Fontsize in message bodyJesper
| `* Re: Fontsize in message bodycroy
|  `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyJesper Kaas
|   +* Re: Fontsize in message bodyAndy Burns
|   |`- Re: Fontsize in message bodyJesper
|   `- Re: Fontsize in message bodyJörg Lorenz
`* Re: Fontsize in message bodyFrank Miller
 +* Re: Fontsize in message bodyJesper
 |+- Re: Fontsize in message bodyJesper
 |+* Re: Fontsize in message bodyAndy Burns
 ||`* Re: Fontsize in message bodyJesper
 || +* Re: Fontsize in message bodyJörg Lorenz
 || |`- Re: Fontsize in message bodyJesper
 || `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyAndy Burns
 ||  `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyJesper
 ||   `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyAndy Burns
 ||    `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyJesper
 ||     `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyAndy Burns
 ||      `- Re: Fontsize in message bodyJesper
 |`- Re: Fontsize in message bodyBig Al
 `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyJesper
  `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyAndy Burns
   `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyJesper
    `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyAndy Burns
     `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyBig Al
      `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyJesper
       +- Re: Fontsize in message bodyBig Al
       +- Re: Fontsize in message bodyAndy Burns
       `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyFrank Miller
        `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyJesper
         +- Re: Fontsize in message bodyFrank Miller
         +* Re: Fontsize in message bodyJesper
         |`* Re: Fontsize in message bodyFrank Miller
         | `* Re: Fontsize in message bodyJesper
         |  `- Re: Fontsize in message bodyFrank Miller
         `- Re: Fontsize in message bodyAndy Burns

Pages:123
Fontsize in message body

<r87etilkhloeo673rop6k8aaf8lre7no58@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3237&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3237

From: jesperk@neitakk.online.no (Jesper Kaas)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Fontsize in message body
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 11:24:24 +0100
 by: Jesper Kaas - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 10:24 UTC

Hi

Trying to get accustomized with Thunderbird. It looks good, but I have
a problem getting font size in message bodies correct.
1: I have played with the menu View->Fontsize. It does seem to have
any impact.
2: Next i have, after started a session with Thunderbird, pressed Ctrl
+ 3 times to get a suitable size.

Number 2 works for most messages, but some show up in a gigantic size.
An example is in the thread "Pi 5 and NVME SSD". As I am writing
this, the message 5 out of 8 (from Guido.Giorgi) has this gigantic
size. The rest are normal.
In Forte Agent all messages have the standard font size I have set
there,and Agent does not show that there is html involved in the
message (Agent gives a yellow message That you can click to show html
if found).
In Thunderbird I have html display turned on. Tried all three possible
settings. Only when turned off, some messages, maybe email, missed
something.

I am sure something has missed me in the search around in Thunderbird.

By the way: Can't find a shortcut to "Ignore thread".

--
Jesper Kaas - jesperk@neindanke.online.no

Re: Fontsize in message body

<ra8etidlf94g9lsiei778bvntoskg3fp4u@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3238&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3238

From: jesperk@neitakk.online.no (Jesper Kaas)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Subject: Re: Fontsize in message body
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 11:27:43 +0100
 by: Jesper Kaas - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 10:27 UTC

Sorry: Forgot to say that my example is in group comp.sys.raspberrypi

On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 11:24:24 +0100, Jesper Kaas
<jesperk@neitakk.online.no> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Trying to get accustomized with Thunderbird. It looks good, but I have
>a problem getting font size in message bodies correct.
>1: I have played with the menu View->Fontsize. It does seem to have
>any impact.
>2: Next i have, after started a session with Thunderbird, pressed Ctrl
>+ 3 times to get a suitable size.
>
>Number 2 works for most messages, but some show up in a gigantic size.
>An example is in the thread "Pi 5 and NVME SSD". As I am writing
>this, the message 5 out of 8 (from Guido.Giorgi) has this gigantic
>size. The rest are normal.
>In Forte Agent all messages have the standard font size I have set
>there,and Agent does not show that there is html involved in the
>message (Agent gives a yellow message That you can click to show html
>if found).
>In Thunderbird I have html display turned on. Tried all three possible
>settings. Only when turned off, some messages, maybe email, missed
>something.
>
>I am sure something has missed me in the search around in Thunderbird.
>
>By the way: Can't find a shortcut to "Ignore thread".
--
Jesper Kaas - jesperk@neindanke.online.no

Re: Fontsize in message body

<ur77tu$3qm1j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3239&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3239

From: Vitsky.kasperski@gmail.com (Jesper)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 11:33:34 +0100
 by: Jesper - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 10:33 UTC

And now I see that the first 2 messages that I wrote in Agent are shown
with gigantic font.
This message is written in Thunderbird. Wonder what this will look like :-)

On 22.02.2024 11:27, Jesper Kaas wrote:
> Sorry: Forgot to say that my example is in group comp.sys.raspberrypi
>

> On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 11:24:24 +0100, Jesper Kaas
> <jesperk@neitakk.online.no> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Trying to get accustomized with Thunderbird. It looks good, but I have
>> a problem getting font size in message bodies correct.
>> 1: I have played with the menu View->Fontsize. It does seem to have
>> any impact.
>> 2: Next i have, after started a session with Thunderbird, pressed Ctrl
>> + 3 times to get a suitable size.
>>
>> Number 2 works for most messages, but some show up in a gigantic size.
>> An example is in the thread "Pi 5 and NVME SSD". As I am writing
>> this, the message 5 out of 8 (from Guido.Giorgi) has this gigantic
>> size. The rest are normal.
>> In Forte Agent all messages have the standard font size I have set
>> there,and Agent does not show that there is html involved in the
>> message (Agent gives a yellow message That you can click to show html
>> if found).
>> In Thunderbird I have html display turned on. Tried all three possible
>> settings. Only when turned off, some messages, maybe email, missed
>> something.
>>
>> I am sure something has missed me in the search around in Thunderbird.
>>
>> By the way: Can't find a shortcut to "Ignore thread".

Jesper

Re: Fontsize in message body

<tdjetip8undldl0mjt1s7bcsd14g32d22p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3242&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3242

From: jesperk@neitakk.online.no (Jesper Kaas)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 14:38:34 +0100
 by: Jesper Kaas - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 13:38 UTC

I got a little closer. When content type is "text/plain;
charset=US-ASCII" the message is shown with giant font in my
Thunderbird 115.7.

--
Jesper Kaas - jesperk@neindanke.online.no

Re: Fontsize in message body

<ur7k14$3tcdc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3244&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3244

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 09:00:02 -0500
 by: Paul - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 14:00 UTC

On 2/22/2024 5:33 AM, Jesper wrote:
> And now I see that the first 2 messages that I wrote in Agent are shown with gigantic font.
> This message is written in Thunderbird. Wonder what this will look like :-)
>
> On 22.02.2024 11:27, Jesper Kaas wrote:
>> Sorry: Forgot to say that my example is in group comp.sys.raspberrypi
>>

>> On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 11:24:24 +0100, Jesper Kaas
>> <jesperk@neitakk.online.no> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Trying to get accustomized with Thunderbird. It looks good, but I have
>>> a problem getting font size in message bodies correct.
>>> 1: I have played with the menu View->Fontsize. It does seem to have
>>> any impact.
>>> 2: Next i have, after started a session with Thunderbird, pressed Ctrl
>>> + 3 times to get a suitable size.
>>>
>>> Number 2 works for most messages, but some show up in a gigantic size.
>>> An example is in the thread "Pi 5 and  NVME SSD". As I am writing
>>> this, the message 5 out of 8 (from Guido.Giorgi) has this gigantic
>>> size. The rest are normal.
>>> In Forte Agent all messages have the standard font size I have set
>>> there,and Agent does not show that there is html involved in the
>>> message (Agent gives a yellow message That you can click to show html
>>> if found).
>>> In Thunderbird I have html display turned on. Tried all three possible
>>> settings. Only when turned off, some messages, maybe email, missed
>>> something.
>>>
>>> I am sure something has missed me in the search around in Thunderbird.
>>>
>>> By the way: Can't find a shortcut to "Ignore thread".

It likely looks like every other message written in Thunderbird.

You would start by examining the content of your message. It is recorded here.
There is no font size setting in there. This is a text-mode message
because there are no MIME headers and no multiple sections to the message.

http://al.howardknight.net/?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3Cupstdu%24ql6s%241%40dont-email.me%3E

Now, this poster, is an example of someone who wants to be different, by
posting HTML in groups where it does not belong. Parts of his message
are not compliant, and a number of servers filter them off. Notice that
the font specification is not heavy-handed, and is scalable. The design allows
emphasizing text in the HTML version, but without overriding Thunderbird choices.
One difference might be, the HTML font chosen, is more likely to be a proportional
font than a fixed font. Because HTML is a programming language,
viewing this, or leaving the "View as HTML" enabled, means any executable
content in here could be an issue for you. The author of this message
has used tracking techniques in the past, to extract IP addresses from "visitors".

http://al.howardknight.net/?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3Cpi6j8m%241i5%241%40news.mixmin.net%3E

From: =?UTF-8?B?8J+YiSBHb29kIEd1eSDwn5iJ?=

--------------060104000700010607020706

--------------060104000700010607020706--

The newer Thunderbird 115.x has a card view for threads, where
what would normally be a fixed font representation of headers or
summaries, is replaced by HTML proportional fonts of odd sizes.

Some of the odd choices the tool makes when it is installed
(developer vanity settings), can be undone by the user and
returned to how they were, previously.

Here is a picture, showing some useful settings for Thunderbird and USENET.

[Picture] If the picture is distorted, click and select View Image,
or use "Download Original"

https://i.postimg.cc/fbMzdtk3/TBird115setup-USENET-style.gif

Paul

Re: Fontsize in message body

<ur7s9u$3v80o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3249&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3249

From: Vitsky.kasperski@gmail.com (Jesper)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 17:21:17 +0100
 by: Jesper - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 16:21 UTC

On 22.02.2024 15:00, Paul wrote:
> On 2/22/2024 5:33 AM, Jesper wrote:
>> And now I see that the first 2 messages that I wrote in Agent are shown with gigantic font.
>> This message is written in Thunderbird. Wonder what this will look like :-)
>>
>> On 22.02.2024 11:27, Jesper Kaas wrote:
>>> Sorry: Forgot to say that my example is in group comp.sys.raspberrypi

> It likely looks like every other message written in Thunderbird.
>
> You would start by examining the content of your message. It is recorded here.
> There is no font size setting in there. This is a text-mode message
> because there are no MIME headers and no multiple sections to the message.
>
> http://al.howardknight.net/?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3Cupstdu%24ql6s%241%40dont-email.me%3E
>
> Now, this poster, is an example of someone who wants to be different, by
> posting HTML in groups where it does not belong. Parts of his message
> are not compliant, and a number of servers filter them off. Notice that
> the font specification is not heavy-handed, and is scalable. The design allows
> emphasizing text in the HTML version, but without overriding Thunderbird choices.
> One difference might be, the HTML font chosen, is more likely to be a proportional
> font than a fixed font. Because HTML is a programming language,
> viewing this, or leaving the "View as HTML" enabled, means any executable
> content in here could be an issue for you. The author of this message
> has used tracking techniques in the past, to extract IP addresses from "visitors".
>
> http://al.howardknight.net/?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3Cpi6j8m%241i5%241%40news.mixmin.net%3E
>
> From: =?UTF-8?B?8J+YiSBHb29kIEd1eSDwn5iJ?=

> --------------060104000700010607020706

> --------------060104000700010607020706--
>
> The newer Thunderbird 115.x has a card view for threads, where
> what would normally be a fixed font representation of headers or
> summaries, is replaced by HTML proportional fonts of odd sizes.
>
> Some of the odd choices the tool makes when it is installed
> (developer vanity settings), can be undone by the user and
> returned to how they were, previously.

> Here is a picture, showing some useful settings for Thunderbird and USENET.
>
> [Picture] If the picture is distorted, click and select View Image,
> or use "Download Original"
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/fbMzdtk3/TBird115setup-USENET-style.gif
>
> Paul

This message is written in TB, and will probably come out with normal font.

Well, That Howard Knight page is new to me. I tried putting the message
ID for one of my messages written in Forte Agent through the Howard
Knight washing machine, and it came out with a normal font, not like
what is shown in my Thunderbird.

My settings in Thunderbird are like almost like the ones Paul shows in
the picture. Making the settings identical does not help with the fontsize
Jesper

Re: Fontsize in message body

<ur7v0c$3veoc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3254&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3254

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 12:07:23 -0500
 by: Big Al - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 17:07 UTC

On 2/22/24 11:21 AM, Jesper wrote:
> On 22.02.2024 15:00, Paul wrote:
>> On 2/22/2024 5:33 AM, Jesper wrote:
>>> And now I see that the first 2 messages that I wrote in Agent are shown with gigantic font.
>>> This message is written in Thunderbird. Wonder what this will look like :-)

>> It likely looks like every other message written in Thunderbird.
>>
>> You would start by examining the content of your message. It is recorded here.
>> There is no font size setting in there. This is a text-mode message
>> because there are no MIME headers and no multiple sections to the message.
>>
>> http://al.howardknight.net/?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3Cupstdu%24ql6s%241%40dont-email.me%3E
>>
>> Now, this poster, is an example of someone who wants to be different, by
>> posting HTML in groups where it does not belong. Parts of his message
>> are not compliant, and a number of servers filter them off. Notice that
>> the font specification is not heavy-handed, and is scalable. The design allows
>> emphasizing text in the HTML version, but without overriding Thunderbird choices.
>> One difference might be, the HTML font chosen, is more likely to be a proportional
>> font than a fixed font. Because HTML is a programming language,
>> viewing this, or leaving the "View as HTML" enabled, means any executable
>> content in here could be an issue for you. The author of this message
>> has used tracking techniques in the past, to extract IP addresses from "visitors".
>>
>> http://al.howardknight.net/?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3Cpi6j8m%241i5%241%40news.mixmin.net%3E
>>
>>     From: =?UTF-8?B?8J+YiSBHb29kIEd1eSDwn5iJ?=

>>     --------------060104000700010607020706

>>     --------------060104000700010607020706--
>>
>> The newer Thunderbird 115.x has a card view for threads, where
>> what would normally be a fixed font representation of headers or
>> summaries, is replaced by HTML proportional fonts of odd sizes.
>>
>> Some of the odd choices the tool makes when it is installed
>> (developer vanity settings), can be undone by the user and
>> returned to how they were, previously.

>> Here is a picture, showing some useful settings for Thunderbird and USENET.
>>
>>     [Picture]    If the picture is distorted, click and select View Image,
>>                  or use "Download Original"
>>
>>      https://i.postimg.cc/fbMzdtk3/TBird115setup-USENET-style.gif
>>
>>    Paul
>>

> This message is written in TB, and will probably come out with normal font.
>
> Well, That Howard Knight page is new to me. I tried putting the message ID for one of my messages
> written in Forte Agent through the Howard Knight washing machine, and it came out with a normal
> font, not like what is shown in my Thunderbird.
>
> My settings in Thunderbird are like almost like the ones Paul shows in the picture. Making the
> settings identical does not help with the fontsize
One suggestion: In TB settings, General, fonts, advanced. I (in the US English) set the 'Latin'
font size, and then 'Other Writing Systems' to the same setting. That seemed to fix a lot of my
issues. I use 26pt, the same as the font-size in the menu.
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4
Al

Re: Fontsize in message body

<u64fti9pqjnvkqt4mumsl2eo0jt560e24t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3263&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3263

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 07:47:39 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 18:47 UTC

On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 11:24:24 +0100, Jesper Kaas wrote:

> Hi
>
> Trying to get accustomized with Thunderbird. It looks good, but I have
> a problem getting font size in message bodies correct.
> 1: I have played with the menu View->Fontsize. It does seem to have
> any impact.
> 2: Next i have, after started a session with Thunderbird, pressed Ctrl
> + 3 times to get a suitable size.
>
> Number 2 works for most messages, but some show up in a gigantic size.
> An example is in the thread "Pi 5 and NVME SSD". As I am writing
> this, the message 5 out of 8 (from Guido.Giorgi) has this gigantic
> size. The rest are normal.
> In Forte Agent all messages have the standard font size I have set
> there,and Agent does not show that there is html involved in the
> message (Agent gives a yellow message That you can click to show html
> if found).
> In Thunderbird I have html display turned on. Tried all three possible
> settings. Only when turned off, some messages, maybe email, missed
> something.
>
> I am sure something has missed me in the search around in Thunderbird.

Click the 'hamburger' menu near the top right and go to Settings >> General.
Or use the menu bar (if the menu bar is hidden, press Alt to un-hide it)
and go to
[Windows] Tools >> Settings >> General
[Linux] Edit >> Settings >> General

Scroll down the 'General' settings page to find "Fonts & Colours".

There are *two* things to be done there:

1. Firstly, change the 'Default font' size setting.
That will change some but not all messages.

2. Secondly, click the 'Advanced' button to the right. You will get
a 'Fonts' pop-up.
In the "Fonts for" drop-down at the top, each of the options (script
families) has its own separate settings for fonts and font size.
Go through each of the options in the "Fonts for" drop-down and set
the two font sizes for that option. At an absolute bare minimum,
set the font sizes *both* for 'Latin' and for 'Other Writing Systems'.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

Take heed is a good read.

Re: Fontsize in message body

<ur9kqi$ednu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3296&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3296

From: Vitsky.kasperski@gmail.com (Jesper)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 09:25:53 +0100
 by: Jesper - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 08:25 UTC

On 22.02.2024 19:47, Ralph Fox wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 11:24:24 +0100, Jesper Kaas wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Trying to get accustomized with Thunderbird. It looks good, but I have
>> a problem getting font size in message bodies correct.
>> 1: I have played with the menu View->Fontsize. It does seem to have
>> any impact.
>> 2: Next i have, after started a session with Thunderbird, pressed Ctrl
>> + 3 times to get a suitable size.
>>
>> Number 2 works for most messages, but some show up in a gigantic size.
>> An example is in the thread "Pi 5 and NVME SSD". As I am writing
>> this, the message 5 out of 8 (from Guido.Giorgi) has this gigantic
>> size. The rest are normal.
>> In Forte Agent all messages have the standard font size I have set
>> there,and Agent does not show that there is html involved in the
>> message (Agent gives a yellow message That you can click to show html
>> if found).
>> In Thunderbird I have html display turned on. Tried all three possible
>> settings. Only when turned off, some messages, maybe email, missed
>> something.
>>
>> I am sure something has missed me in the search around in Thunderbird.
>

> Click the 'hamburger' menu near the top right and go to Settings >> General.
> Or use the menu bar (if the menu bar is hidden, press Alt to un-hide it)
> and go to
> [Windows] Tools >> Settings >> General
> [Linux] Edit >> Settings >> General
>
> Scroll down the 'General' settings page to find "Fonts & Colours".
>
> There are *two* things to be done there:
>
> 1. Firstly, change the 'Default font' size setting.
> That will change some but not all messages.
>
> 2. Secondly, click the 'Advanced' button to the right. You will get
> a 'Fonts' pop-up.
> In the "Fonts for" drop-down at the top, each of the options (script
> families) has its own separate settings for fonts and font size.
> Go through each of the options in the "Fonts for" drop-down and set
> the two font sizes for that option. At an absolute bare minimum,
> set the font sizes *both* for 'Latin' and for 'Other Writing Systems'.

A big thanks to Big Al and Ralph Fox. I changed settings for all
"script families" while I was at it, and have now fixed the changing
font-size problem.

I see much more spam in Thunderbird than in Forte Agent. TB marks it as
spam, but i have to manually run the tool to delete them or move them to
a junk folder. Is there a fix for that?
Best regards
-Jesper

Re: Fontsize in message body

<ura6d4$i6oe$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3303&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3303

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 08:25:56 -0500
 by: Big Al - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 13:25 UTC

On 2/23/24 03:25 AM, Jesper wrote:
> On 22.02.2024 19:47, Ralph Fox wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 11:24:24 +0100, Jesper Kaas wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Trying to get accustomized with Thunderbird. It looks good, but I have
>>> a problem getting font size in message bodies correct.
>>> 1: I have played with the menu View->Fontsize. It does seem to have
>>> any impact.
>>> 2: Next i have, after started a session with Thunderbird, pressed Ctrl
>>> + 3 times to get a suitable size.
>>>
>>> Number 2 works for most messages, but some show up in a gigantic size.
>>> An example is in the thread "Pi 5 and  NVME SSD". As I am writing
>>> this, the message 5 out of 8 (from Guido.Giorgi) has this gigantic
>>> size. The rest are normal.
>>> In Forte Agent all messages have the standard font size I have set
>>> there,and Agent does not show that there is html involved in the
>>> message (Agent gives a yellow message That you can click to show html
>>> if found).
>>> In Thunderbird I have html display turned on. Tried all three possible
>>> settings. Only when turned off, some messages, maybe email, missed
>>> something.
>>>
>>> I am sure something has missed me in the search around in Thunderbird.
>>

>> Click the 'hamburger' menu near the top right and go to Settings >> General.
>> Or use the menu bar (if the menu bar is hidden, press Alt to un-hide it)
>> and go to
>>    [Windows]   Tools >> Settings >> General
>>    [Linux]     Edit >> Settings >> General
>>
>> Scroll down the 'General' settings page to find "Fonts & Colours".
>>
>> There are *two* things to be done there:
>>
>>   1.  Firstly, change the 'Default font' size setting.
>>       That will change some but not all messages.
>>
>>   2.  Secondly, click the 'Advanced' button to the right.  You will get
>>       a 'Fonts' pop-up.
>>       In the "Fonts for" drop-down at the top, each of the options (script
>>       families) has its own separate settings for fonts and font size.
>>       Go through each of the options in the "Fonts for" drop-down and set
>>       the two font sizes for that option.   At an absolute bare minimum,
>>       set the font sizes *both* for 'Latin' and for 'Other Writing Systems'.
>>

>  A big thanks to Big Al and Ralph Fox. I changed settings for all "script families" while I was at
> it, and have now fixed the changing font-size problem.
>
> I see much more spam in Thunderbird than in Forte Agent. TB marks it as spam, but i have to manually
> run the tool to delete them or move them to a junk folder. Is there a fix for that?
You could make a filter.
In theory, if you mark them as spam then TB should 'learn' and do it automatically IIRC.
--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4
Al

Re: Fontsize in message body

<v1chtid6k8sh9l48a4gb5e089k6a28aadh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3307&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3307

From: jesperk@neitakk.online.no (Jesper Kaas)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 15:54:28 +0100
 by: Jesper Kaas - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 14:54 UTC

On Fri, 23 Feb 2024 08:25:56 -0500, Big Al <alan@invalid.com> wrote:

>On 2/23/24 03:25 AM, Jesper wrote:

>>> Click the 'hamburger' menu near the top right and go to Settings >> General.
>>> Or use the menu bar (if the menu bar is hidden, press Alt to un-hide it)
>>> and go to
>>>    [Windows]   Tools >> Settings >> General
>>>    [Linux]     Edit >> Settings >> General
>>>
>>> Scroll down the 'General' settings page to find "Fonts & Colours".
>>>
>>> There are *two* things to be done there:
>>>
>>>   1.  Firstly, change the 'Default font' size setting.
>>>       That will change some but not all messages.
>>>
>>>   2.  Secondly, click the 'Advanced' button to the right.  You will get
>>>       a 'Fonts' pop-up.
>>>       In the "Fonts for" drop-down at the top, each of the options (script
>>>       families) has its own separate settings for fonts and font size.
>>>       Go through each of the options in the "Fonts for" drop-down and set
>>>       the two font sizes for that option.   At an absolute bare minimum,
>>>       set the font sizes *both* for 'Latin' and for 'Other Writing Systems'.
>>>

>>  A big thanks to Big Al and Ralph Fox. I changed settings for all "script families" while I was at
>> it, and have now fixed the changing font-size problem.
>>
>> I see much more spam in Thunderbird than in Forte Agent. TB marks it as spam, but i have to manually
>> run the tool to delete them or move them to a junk folder. Is there a fix for that?
>You could make a filter.
>In theory, if you mark them as spam then TB should 'learn' and do it automatically IIRC.

Is that (learning what is junk and move it to junk-folder) if I in
"Settings->Privacy and Security>Junk" mark for "Enable adaptive junk
filter logging"?
Forte Agent has service called "Route By Identity". That learns when
you manually move messages to a folder. It works pretty good for email
spam.

Best regards
--
Jesper Kaas - jesperk@neindanke.online.no

Re: Fontsize in message body

<aqchtihdmb3dficrtlk6jts1k4qnqkeuas@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3308&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3308

From: croy@spam.invalid.net (croy)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 07:02:21 -0800
 by: croy - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 15:02 UTC

On Fri, 23 Feb 2024 09:25:53 +0100, Jesper <Vitsky.kasperski@gmail.com> wrote:

>I see much more spam in Thunderbird than in Forte Agent.

Huh??? How can that be?

--
croy

Re: Fontsize in message body

<d4ehti910jncp1rgn4oo4aaaq9qnce83lj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3309&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3309

From: jesperk@neitakk.online.no (Jesper Kaas)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 16:26:29 +0100
 by: Jesper Kaas - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 15:26 UTC

On Fri, 23 Feb 2024 07:02:21 -0800, croy <croy@spam.invalid.net>
wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Feb 2024 09:25:53 +0100, Jesper <Vitsky.kasperski@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I see much more spam in Thunderbird than in Forte Agent.
>
>Huh??? How can that be?

Because Agent moves what is considered spam (email-spam) to a
junk-folder. Thunderbird just marks it as spam and leaves it in the
Inbox.

Best regards
--
Jesper Kaas - jesperk@neindanke.online.no

Re: Fontsize in message body

<l3rs76Frln8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3310&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3310

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 15:34:00 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 15:34 UTC

Jesper Kaas wrote:

> Agent moves what is considered spam (email-spam) to a
> junk-folder. Thunderbird just marks it as spam and leaves it in the
> Inbox.

Depends on settings, TB can automatically move spam out of the inbox too.

Re: Fontsize in message body

<urafnh$k8ul$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3311&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3311

From: Vitsky.kasperski@gmail.com (Jesper)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 17:05:05 +0100
 by: Jesper - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 16:05 UTC

On 23.02.2024 16:34, Andy Burns wrote:
> Jesper Kaas wrote:
>
>> Agent moves what is considered spam (email-spam) to a
>> junk-folder. Thunderbird just marks it as spam and leaves it in the
>> Inbox.
>
> Depends on settings, TB can automatically move spam out of the inbox too.

Thanks. At last I found it under Account Settings->Junk: Mark for Enable
and mark for Move...

Jesper

Re: Fontsize in message body

<uragni$k11c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3312&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3312

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 17:22:09 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 16:22 UTC

On 23.02.24 15:54, Jesper Kaas wrote:
> Is that (learning what is junk and move it to junk-folder) if I in
> "Settings->Privacy and Security>Junk" mark for "Enable adaptive junk
> filter logging"?
> Forte Agent has service called "Route By Identity". That learns when
> you manually move messages to a folder. It works pretty good for email
> spam.

No. The TB spam-filter is much more sophisticated: It is a so called
Bayes-Filter which is based on statistical models.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naive_Bayes_spam_filtering

Jörg

--
"Ave Caesar! Morituri te salutant!"

Re: Fontsize in message body

<uragpg$k11c$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3313&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3313

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 17:23:12 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 16:23 UTC

On 23.02.24 16:26, Jesper Kaas wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Feb 2024 07:02:21 -0800, croy <croy@spam.invalid.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 23 Feb 2024 09:25:53 +0100, Jesper <Vitsky.kasperski@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I see much more spam in Thunderbird than in Forte Agent.
>>
>> Huh??? How can that be?
>
> Because Agent moves what is considered spam (email-spam) to a
> junk-folder. Thunderbird just marks it as spam and leaves it in the
> Inbox.

Depends how you set up TB and your account.

--
"Ave Caesar! Morituri te salutant!"

Re: Fontsize in message body

<uraolh$men5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3315&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3315

From: Vitsky.kasperski@gmail.com (Jesper)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 19:37:36 +0100
 by: Jesper - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 18:37 UTC

On 23.02.2024 17:22, Jörg Lorenz wrote:
> On 23.02.24 15:54, Jesper Kaas wrote:
>> Is that (learning what is junk and move it to junk-folder) if I in
>> "Settings->Privacy and Security>Junk" mark for "Enable adaptive junk
>> filter logging"?
>> Forte Agent has service called "Route By Identity". That learns when
>> you manually move messages to a folder. It works pretty good for email
>> spam.
>
> No. The TB spam-filter is much more sophisticated: It is a so called
> Bayes-Filter which is based on statistical models.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naive_Bayes_spam_filtering
>
> Jörg

Thanks for the article link. In fact, it is a Bayesian filter that Forte
Agent uses.
Jesper

Re: Fontsize in message body

<urapqa$mijp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3316&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3316

From: ed@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 18:56:42 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 18:56 UTC

Big Al wrote:
> [...]
>>>                  or use "Download Original"
>>>
>>>      https://i.postimg.cc/fbMzdtk3/TBird115setup-USENET-style.gif
>>>
>>>    Paul
>>>

>> This message is written in TB, and will probably come out with normal
>> font.
>>
>> Well, That Howard Knight page is new to me. I tried putting the
>> message ID for one of my messages written in Forte Agent through the
>> Howard Knight washing machine, and it came out with a normal font, not
>> like what is shown in my Thunderbird.
>>
>> My settings in Thunderbird are like almost like the ones Paul shows in
>> the picture. Making the settings identical does not help with the
>> fontsize
> One suggestion:  In TB settings, General, fonts, advanced.  I (in the US
> English) set the 'Latin' font size, and then 'Other Writing Systems' to
> the same setting.  That seemed to fix a lot of my issues.   I use 26pt,
Thanks for this. It's fixed one of my long-standing issues.
I was shocked to see all the random sizes given under Advanced; from the
original install.
It's quite a task stepping through them one by one, and changing them;
but well worth the effort.
Ed

Re: Fontsize in message body

<urat5l$neop$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3317&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3317

From: alan@invalid.com (Big Al)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 14:54:29 -0500
 by: Big Al - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 19:54 UTC

On 2/23/24 01:56 PM, Ed Cryer wrote:
> Big Al wrote:

>>> This message is written in TB, and will probably come out with normal font.
>>>
>>> Well, That Howard Knight page is new to me. I tried putting the message ID for one of my messages
>>> written in Forte Agent through the Howard Knight washing machine, and it came out with a normal
>>> font, not like what is shown in my Thunderbird.
>>>
>>> My settings in Thunderbird are like almost like the ones Paul shows in the picture. Making the
>>> settings identical does not help with the fontsize
>> One suggestion:  In TB settings, General, fonts, advanced.  I (in the US English) set the 'Latin'
>> font size, and then 'Other Writing Systems' to the same setting.  That seemed to fix a lot of my
>> issues.   I use 26pt, the same as the font-size in the menu.
>
> Thanks for this. It's fixed one of my long-standing issues.
>
> I was shocked to see all the random sizes given under Advanced; from the original install.
> It's quite a task stepping through them one by one, and changing them; but well worth the effort.
>
> Ed

I kinda went the sneaky way. Turn off TB. Edit the prefs.js and search for 'font'. You'll see a
whole strings with 'font.minimum-size.x-cyrillic", 26);' etc in it.
I just did a search and replace for 14); to 26); or whatever was there first.

I also cut and paste those font* lines into a user.js file. If you have a user.js file on a fresh
load, TB loads it as defaults. You can google user.js and find the info about it.

--
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4
Al

Re: Fontsize in message body

<9puhti1grm8qk9f74989qsjstggvlucpc9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3318&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3318

From: -rf-nz-@-.invalid (Ralph Fox)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 09:26:30 +1300
 by: Ralph Fox - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 20:26 UTC

On Fri, 23 Feb 2024 18:56:42 +0000, Ed Cryer wrote:

> I was shocked to see all the random sizes given under Advanced; from the
> original install.

There is a good reason for having differing sizes for different
script families. For example, Latin scripts (e.g. English) can be
read at 8 points, but Chinese characters cannot.

> It's quite a task stepping through them one by one, and changing them;
> but well worth the effort.

If you tell me you cannot read (say) Chinese, then you would
not need or want to change this one. Likewise for others.

--
Kind regards
Ralph Fox

The frog cannot out of her bog.

Re: Fontsize in message body

<65D9464D.7040200@backwurst.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3322&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3322

From: miller@posteo.ee (Frank Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 02:28:45 +0100
 by: Frank Miller - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 01:28 UTC

Jesper Kaas wrote:

> Trying to get accustomized with Thunderbird. It looks good, but I have
> a problem getting font size in message bodies correct.
> 1: I have played with the menu View->Fontsize. It does seem to have
> any impact.
> 2: Next i have, after started a session with Thunderbird, pressed Ctrl
> + 3 times to get a suitable size.
>
> Number 2 works for most messages, but some show up in a gigantic size.

You can try a "global big hammer" which could nail down the most font sizes,
including plain text and html in the body.
Add this to your userContent.css :

..moz-text-plain, .moz-text-flowed, .moz-text-html {
font-size: 26pt !important;
}

Alter the font size "26pt" to your likings; you have to restart Thunderbird
to see the effect.
I'm not sure if this still really works but it's worth a try.

Don't forget to set "toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets"
in the Config Editor to "true". Otherwise Thunderbird won't load the userContent.css
at all.

Re: Fontsize in message body

<urc8bf$13639$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3325&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3325

From: Vitsky.kasperski@gmail.com (Jesper)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 09:11:27 +0100
 by: Jesper - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 08:11 UTC

On 24.02.2024 02:28, Frank Miller wrote:
> Jesper Kaas wrote:
>
>> Trying to get accustomized with Thunderbird. It looks good, but I have
>> a problem getting font size in message bodies correct.
>> 1: I have played with the menu View->Fontsize. It does seem to have
>> any impact.
>> 2: Next i have, after started a session with Thunderbird, pressed Ctrl
>> + 3 times to get a suitable size.
>>
>> Number 2 works for most messages, but some show up in a gigantic size.
>
> You can try a "global big hammer" which could nail down the most font sizes,
> including plain text and html in the body.
> Add this to your userContent.css :
>
> .moz-text-plain, .moz-text-flowed, .moz-text-html {
> font-size: 26pt !important;
> }
>
> Alter the font size "26pt" to your likings; you have to restart Thunderbird
> to see the effect.
> I'm not sure if this still really works but it's worth a try.
>
> Don't forget to set "toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets"
> in the Config Editor to "true". Otherwise Thunderbird won't load the userContent.css
> at all.
The problem is solved by now, but I would like to try your approach.
But I can't find the file userContent.css anywhere in the Thunderbird
directory. Did a search for hidden, case insensitive, but no cigar.
Should i create the file userContent.css?
And the Config Editor you mention, were is that to be found?

Best regards
Jesper

Re: Fontsize in message body

<urc9ev$13iqi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3326&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3326

From: Vitsky.kasperski@gmail.com (Jesper)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 09:30:23 +0100
 by: Jesper - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 08:30 UTC

On 24.02.2024 09:11, Jesper wrote:
> On 24.02.2024 02:28, Frank Miller wrote:
>> Jesper Kaas wrote:
>>
>>> Trying to get accustomized with Thunderbird. It looks good, but I have
>>> a problem getting font size in message bodies correct.
>>> 1: I have played with the menu View->Fontsize. It does seem to have
>>> any impact.
>>> 2: Next i have, after started a session with Thunderbird, pressed Ctrl
>>> + 3 times to get a suitable size.
>>>
>>> Number 2 works for most messages, but some show up in a gigantic size.
>>
>> You can try a "global big hammer" which could nail down the most font
>> sizes,
>> including plain text and html in the body.
>> Add this to your userContent.css :
>>
>> .moz-text-plain, .moz-text-flowed, .moz-text-html {
>>     font-size: 26pt !important;
>> }
>>
>> Alter the font size "26pt" to your likings; you have to restart
>> Thunderbird
>> to see the effect.
>> I'm not sure if this still really works but it's worth a try.
>>
>> Don't forget to set "toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets"
>> in the Config Editor to "true". Otherwise Thunderbird won't load the
>> userContent.css
>> at all.
> The problem is solved by now, but I would like to try your approach.
> But I can't find the file userContent.css anywhere in the Thunderbird
> directory. Did a search for hidden, case insensitive, but no cigar.
> Should i create the file userContent.css?
> And the Config Editor you mention, were is that to be found?
>
> Best regards
Sorry, forgot to mention that I am in Linux (Debian, Raspberrypi OS)
Thunderbird 115.7.0 64 bit.
Jesper

Re: Fontsize in message body

<l3top2F80mvU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=3327&group=alt.comp.software.thunderbird#3327

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.thunderbird
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 08:47:30 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 08:47 UTC

Jesper wrote:

> the Config Editor you mention, were is that to be found?

Someone did drop you a hint on that ...

Tools / Settings / General

scroll to the very bottom

computers / alt.comp.software.thunderbird / Fontsize in message body