"BTW, does Jesus know you flame?" -- Diane Holt, dianeh@binky.UUCP, to Ed Carp

computers / comp.misc / Re: Wired media keyboard

SubjectAuthor
* Wired media keyboardChris J Dixon
+* Re: Wired media keyboardJohn Rumm
|`* Re: Wired media keyboardSteveW
| `- Re: Wired media keyboardJohn Rumm
+* Re: Wired media keyboardJeff Layman
|+- Re: Wired media keyboardjon
|`* Re: Wired media keyboardDan Espen
| `* Re: Wired media keyboardJeff Layman
|  `- Re: Wired media keyboardDan Espen
+- Re: Wired media keyboardThe Natural Philosopher
`* Re: Wired media keyboardColin Bignell
 +* Re: Wired media keyboardRod Speed
 |`- Re: Wired media keyboardColin Bignell
 +* Re: Wired media keyboardDan Espen
 |`* Re: Wired media keyboardColin Bignell
 | +- Re: Wired media keyboardDan Espen
 | `* Re: Wired media keyboardRod Speed
 |  `* Re: Wired media keyboardBob Eager
 |   +* Re: Wired media keyboardRod Speed
 |   |`* Re: Nym-shifting Trolling Senile PIG from Oz!Jan van den Broek
 |   | `* Re: Nym-shifting Trolling Senile PIG from Oz!Jan van den Broek
 |   |  +- Re: Nym-shifting Trolling Senile PIG from Oz!Jan van den Broek
 |   |  `* Re: Nym-shifting Trolling Senile PIG from Oz!Scott Dorsey
 |   |   +- Re: Nym-shifting Trolling Senile PIG from Oz!Rod Speed
 |   |   `* Re: Nym-shifting Trolling Senile PIG from Oz!Tim+
 |   |    `- Re: Nym-shifting Trolling Senile PIG from Oz!Rod Speed
 |   `- Re: Wired media keyboardSteveW
 `* Re: Wired media keyboardJohn Rumm
  `* Re: Wired media keyboardScott Dorsey
   `* Re: Wired media keyboardRod Speed
    `* Re: Wired media keyboardScott Dorsey
     +- Re: Wired media keyboardDan Espen
     `* Re: Wired media keyboardRod Speed
      +* Re: Wired media keyboardDan Espen
      |+* Re: Wired media keyboardSteveW
      ||`- Re: Wired media keyboardRod Speed
      |`- Re: Wired media keyboardRod Speed
      `* Re: Wired media keyboardScott Dorsey
       `- Re: Wired media keyboardRod Speed

Pages:12
Re: Nym-shifting Trolling Senile PIG from Oz!

<tdro1n$h45$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1814&group=comp.misc#1814

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,comp.misc
Subject: Re: Nym-shifting Trolling Senile PIG from Oz!
Date: 20 Aug 2022 22:43:03 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 22:43 UTC

Peeler <trolltrap@valid.invalid> wrote:
>On Sat, 20 Aug 2022 19:16:50 -0000 (UTC), Jan van den Broek wrote:
>>> I never killfile anyone.
>>
>> That is your choice.
>
>That's right!
>
>> But what is it that you want you achieve? Getting
>> Rod to stop posting? Your choice of words isn't going to get him on
>> your side.
>
>Think about it! <BG>

I'm thinking about it, and all I can think is that you want to annoy
all of us. Because you don't seem to be annoying Rod.
--scott

Re: Wired media keyboard

<op.1q736jadbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1815&group=comp.misc#1815

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,comp.misc
Subject: Re: Wired media keyboard
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 09:43:21 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 23:43 UTC

On Sun, 21 Aug 2022 08:42:04 +1000, Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:

> John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've never seen the point of illuminated keyboards.
>>
>> The only place I would say they can be handy is on laptops. If you are
>> taking notes in a lecture room or conference setting.
>
> They are very handy if you're typing occasional characters in a dark
> control room. If you have your fingers on the home row, a keyboard
> with dots on it can tell you that you're centered right and then you
> can find everything in the dark. But if you're just occasionally
> punching in a letter or number here and there instead of carefully
> touch-typing, the dots are no help.

That's not accurate. I compute from a deep armchair with
my feet up with the keyboard off to the left of the airmchair
under the two monitors, one of which swings over my legs.
It is quite dark there at night so the backlight keys are very handy.

Re: Nym-shifting Trolling Senile PIG from Oz!

<op.1q739jxcbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1816&group=comp.misc#1816

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,comp.misc
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 09:45:09 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 23:45 UTC

On Sun, 21 Aug 2022 08:43:03 +1000, Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:

> Peeler <trolltrap@valid.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> That is your choice.
>>
>> That's right!
>>
>>> But what is it that you want you achieve? Getting
>>> Rod to stop posting? Your choice of words isn't going to get him on
>>> your side.
>>
>> Think about it! <BG>
>
> I'm thinking about it, and all I can think is that you want to annoy
> all of us. Because you don't seem to be annoying Rod.

Correct. He does it to a number of others in another group too.

Never ever posts anything else.

Rather pathetic that that is all it ever does.

Re: Nym-shifting Trolling Senile PIG from Oz!

<1600775302.682762657.540404.tim.downie-gmail.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1817&group=comp.misc#1817

From: tim.downie@gmail.com (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,comp.misc
Date: 21 Aug 2022 08:18:41 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 08:18 UTC

Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
> Peeler <trolltrap@valid.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> That is your choice.
>>
>> That's right!
>>
>>> But what is it that you want you achieve? Getting
>>> Rod to stop posting? Your choice of words isn't going to get him on
>>> your side.
>>
>> Think about it! <BG>
>
> I'm thinking about it, and all I can think is that you want to annoy
> all of us. Because you don't seem to be annoying Rod.
> --scott

Have you considered that Peeler and Rod might be the same person?

Just killfile them both.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Nym-shifting Trolling Senile PIG from Oz!

<op.1q8uu3vmbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1818&group=comp.misc#1818

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,comp.misc
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 19:19:41 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 09:19 UTC

On Sun, 21 Aug 2022 18:18:41 +1000, Tim+ <tim.downie@gmail.com> wrote:

> Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
>> Peeler <trolltrap@valid.invalid> wrote:

>>> That's right!

>>> Think about it! <BG>
>>
>> I'm thinking about it, and all I can think is that you want to annoy
>> all of us. Because you don't seem to be annoying Rod.

> Have you considered that Peeler and Rod might be the same person?

Even someone as stupid as you should be able to prove that we aren't.

Obviously not.

Re: Wired media keyboard

<tdt8dv$a6f$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1819&group=comp.misc#1819

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,comp.misc
Date: 21 Aug 2022 12:28:47 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 12:28 UTC

In article <op.1q736jadbyq249@pvr2.lan>,
Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The only place I would say they can be handy is on laptops. If you are
>>> taking notes in a lecture room or conference setting.
>>
>> They are very handy if you're typing occasional characters in a dark
>> control room. If you have your fingers on the home row, a keyboard
>> with dots on it can tell you that you're centered right and then you
>> can find everything in the dark. But if you're just occasionally
>> punching in a letter or number here and there instead of carefully
>> touch-typing, the dots are no help.
>
>That's not accurate. I compute from a deep armchair with
>my feet up with the keyboard off to the left of the airmchair
>under the two monitors, one of which swings over my legs.
>It is quite dark there at night so the backlight keys are very handy.

How does that contradict one word I said?
--scott

Re: Wired media keyboard

<tdtd4t$2bpgv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1821&group=comp.misc#1821

From: dan1espen@gmail.com (Dan Espen)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,comp.misc
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 09:49:16 -0400
 by: Dan Espen - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 13:49 UTC

kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) writes:

> In article <op.1q736jadbyq249@pvr2.lan>,
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> They are very handy if you're typing occasional characters in a dark
>>> control room. If you have your fingers on the home row, a keyboard
>>> with dots on it can tell you that you're centered right and then you
>>> can find everything in the dark. But if you're just occasionally
>>> punching in a letter or number here and there instead of carefully
>>> touch-typing, the dots are no help.
>>
>>That's not accurate. I compute from a deep armchair with
>>my feet up with the keyboard off to the left of the airmchair
>>under the two monitors, one of which swings over my legs.
>>It is quite dark there at night so the backlight keys are very handy.
>
> How does that contradict one word I said?

It doesn't.

It's Rod syndrome.

--
Dan Espen

Re: Wired media keyboard

<op.1q9c2loebyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1822&group=comp.misc#1822

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,comp.misc
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 01:52:59 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 15:52 UTC

Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>> Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote

>>> They are very handy if you're typing occasional characters in a dark
>>> control room. If you have your fingers on the home row, a keyboard
>>> with dots on it can tell you that you're centered right and then you
>>> can find everything in the dark. But if you're just occasionally
>>> punching in a letter or number here and there instead of carefully
>>> touch-typing, the dots are no help.

>> That's not accurate. I compute from a deep armchair with
>> my feet up with the keyboard off to the left of the airmchair
>> under the two monitors, one of which swings over my legs.
>> It is quite dark there at night so the backlight keys are very handy.

> How does that contradict one word I said?

Your last 'the dots are no help' is just plain wrong in that situation.

Re: Wired media keyboard

<tdtm4c$2cl3i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1823&group=comp.misc#1823

From: dan1espen@gmail.com (Dan Espen)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,comp.misc
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 12:22:35 -0400
 by: Dan Espen - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 16:22 UTC

"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> writes:

> Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote

>>> That's not accurate. I compute from a deep armchair with
>>> my feet up with the keyboard off to the left of the airmchair
>>> under the two monitors, one of which swings over my legs.
>>> It is quite dark there at night so the backlight keys are very handy.
>
>> How does that contradict one word I said?
>
> Your last 'the dots are no help' is just plain wrong in that situation.

I think the poster used the term "occasional characters" to indicate he
was talking about keys that he couldn't touch type.

--
Dan Espen

Re: Wired media keyboard

<tdtmnr$2cmp5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1824&group=comp.misc#1824

From: steve@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,comp.misc
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 17:33:00 +0100
 by: SteveW - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 16:33 UTC

On 21/08/2022 17:22, Dan Espen wrote:
> "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote

>>> How does that contradict one word I said?
>>
>> Your last 'the dots are no help' is just plain wrong in that situation.
>
> I think the poster used the term "occasional characters" to indicate he
> was talking about keys that he couldn't touch type.

I think he was saying that he doesn't have to type. The reference to a
control room suggests to me a system where yes/no responses are
required, the starting of operations and the muting/accepting/cancelling
of alarms. So likely just requiring a single or a couple of presses
every so often, when the hands will not be pre-positioned for touch
typing and it will be easiest to look at the keyboard for a moment to
hit the appropriate key.

Re: Wired media keyboard

<op.1q9g6hrtbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1825&group=comp.misc#1825

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,comp.misc
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 03:21:43 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 17:21 UTC

Dan Espen <dan1espen@gmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>> Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote

>>> How does that contradict one word I said?

>> Your last 'the dots are no help' is just plain wrong in that situation.

> I think the poster used the term "occasional characters" to indicate he
> was talking about keys that he couldn't touch type.

So was I with the occasional stuff I need to type with the keyboard
still sitting under the screens in the dark, particularly at night.
By definition when you aren't touch typing, you need to see which
key is which and so need to be able to see the key labels.

I never need to see the key labels when the keyboard is on
my lap because I have always been able to touch type since
I was in high school.

Re: Wired media keyboard

<op.1q9iydtgbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1826&group=comp.misc#1826

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,comp.misc
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 04:00:03 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 21 Aug 2022 18:00 UTC

On Mon, 22 Aug 2022 02:33:00 +1000, SteveW <steve@walker-family.me.uk>
wrote:

> On 21/08/2022 17:22, Dan Espen wrote:
>> "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote

>>> Your last 'the dots are no help' is just plain wrong in that situation.
>> I think the poster used the term "occasional characters" to indicate he
>> was talking about keys that he couldn't touch type.

> I think he was saying that he doesn't have to type.

Correct.

> The reference to a control room

That wasn't from me.

> suggests to me a system where yes/no responses are required,

Actually individual single letter keystrokes used to do stuff like
pause or skip forward the PVR when playing recorded stuff.

I use the PC as the PVR and use the keyboard to pause
and skip over ads etc when playing recorded stuff.

> the starting of operations and the muting/accepting/cancelling of
> alarms. So likely just requiring a single or a couple of presses every
> so often, when the hands will not be pre-positioned for touch typing and
> it will be easiest to look at the keyboard for a moment to hit the
> appropriate key.

Correct.

Re: Wired media keyboard

<te03uj$s25$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1827&group=comp.misc#1827

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,comp.misc
Date: 22 Aug 2022 14:30:43 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 14:30 UTC

Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote

>>> That's not accurate. I compute from a deep armchair with
>>> my feet up with the keyboard off to the left of the airmchair
>>> under the two monitors, one of which swings over my legs.
>>> It is quite dark there at night so the backlight keys are very handy.
>
>> How does that contradict one word I said?
>
>Your last 'the dots are no help' is just plain wrong in that situation.

How do the dots on a non-illuminated keyboard help when your fingers are
not on the home row?
--scott

Re: Wired media keyboard

<op.1rbmrbgpbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1828&group=comp.misc#1828

From: rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,comp.misc
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 07:17:25 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 22 Aug 2022 21:17 UTC

Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote

>>> How does that contradict one word I said?

>> Your last 'the dots are no help' is just plain wrong in that situation.

> How do the dots on a non-illuminated keyboard help when your fingers are
> not on the home row?

You find the dots and then move from there to the key you want to press.

I play FreeCell Pro when watching recorded video and have my
own micro spreadsheet which I keep track of potential moves in
which uses just numbers, for the column number and the result
of doing what that column allows. I type the numbers in entirely
by feel with the keyboard off to my left under the screens. I key
the correct column number into the spreadsheet using the dot
on the 5 keytop in the numeric pad for the 5,6,8 and 9 keys.
I use the left hand edge of the keypad for 4 and 7 and the large
0 for the 1,2 and 3 keys and the right hand edge for the - and +
keys which I also add to the spreadsheet.