The steady state of disks is full. -- Ken Thompson

computers / alt.windows7.general / Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?

SubjectAuthor
* Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?Ant
+* Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?Sailfish
|+* Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?Paul
||`* Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?Sailfish
|| `* Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?Paul
||  `- Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?Sailfish
|+* Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?Ant
||`* Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?Sailfish
|| `- Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?Ant
|`* Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?Bob F
| `* Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?Ant
|  `* Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?J. P. Gilliver (John)
|   `* Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?Mark Lloyd
|    `* Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?J. P. Gilliver (John)
|     `- Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?Mark Lloyd
+* Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?Paul
|`* Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?Sailfish
| `* Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?Paul
|  `* Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?Sailfish
|   `* Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?Sailfish
|    `- Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?Paul
+* Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?JJ
|`* Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?Paul
| +* Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?Sailfish
| |`- Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?Paul
| `* Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?JJ
|  `* Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?Sailfish
|   `- Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?JJ
`- Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?Bill Bradshaw

Pages:12
Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?

<NE1DKvh5g9ygFw6c@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1442&group=alt.windows7.general#1442

Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 00:18:17 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
Subject: Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Thu, 17 Jun 2021 23:18 UTC

On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 at 15:28:00, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote (my
>Bob F <bobnospam@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 5/11/2021 10:00 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> > Ant graced us with on 5/11/2021 9:27 PM:

>> > Mine is relatively new (4.5 yearsold), a Dell 8900 XPS and Win 7 Pro &
>> > Ultimate work fine. However, I can't confirm anything later than that.
>> >

>> This PC is running win7 on a GA-Z270XP-SLI running an I7-8700K with some
>> tape mods to it's connections, and a modded BIOS. There are hacks
>> available to keep getting updates.
>
>That sounds complex and difficult.

What updates are available - is this something like the POS hack for XP,
or are you getting 10 updates and somehow using them?

I've left my 7 (32-bit HP) as is, and I get the monthly MSRT. I don't
think anything else since the end of support, and the subsequent "oops"
update.

Just seen a Dyslexic Yorkshireman wearing a cat flap!

Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?

<%a5zI.39990$v01.24844@fx07.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1449&group=alt.windows7.general#1449

Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
From: not@mail.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 13:00:25 -0500
 by: Mark Lloyd - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 18:00 UTC

On 6/17/21 6:18 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

[snip]

> What updates are available - is this something like the POS hack for XP,
> or are you getting 10 updates and somehow using them?
>
> I've left my 7 (32-bit HP) as is, and I get the monthly MSRT. I don't
> think anything else since the end of support, and the subsequent "oops"
> update.

There was the update that provided Edge.

I have a Win7 installation on a virtual machine. That computer died, and
I transferred the disk to a newer machine (new host OS installation),
and it started giving "unsupported hardware" messages. I just disabled
automatic updates.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The truths which God revealed have been overthrown by the truths which
man has discovered." [Lemuel K. Washburn, _Is The Bible Worth Reading
And Other Essays_, 1911]

Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?

<5F8eaxpaTOzgFwky@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1451&group=alt.windows7.general#1451

Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 19:24:26 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver (John))
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
 by: J. P. Gilliver (John - Fri, 18 Jun 2021 18:24 UTC

On Fri, 18 Jun 2021 at 13:00:25, Mark Lloyd <not@mail.invalid> wrote (my
>On 6/17/21 6:18 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>> What updates are available - is this something like the POS hack for
>>XP, or are you getting 10 updates and somehow using them?
>> I've left my 7 (32-bit HP) as is, and I get the monthly MSRT. I
>>don't think anything else since the end of support, and the
>>subsequent "oops" update.
>
>There was the update that provided Edge.

Oh yes, I forgot about that one.

>I have a Win7 installation on a virtual machine. That computer died,
>and I transferred the disk to a newer machine (new host OS

Interesting. When you say you transferred the disk, do you just mean the
file that represented the virtual machine, or physically moved a drive?

>installation), and it started giving "unsupported hardware" messages. I
>just disabled automatic updates.

Interesting: I assume you mean the unsupported hardware messages stopped
when you disabled automatic updates. Which sounds like the checks - be
they for supported hardware or a valid Windows - are related to the
update server, which seems odd for either sort. Or?

Practicall every British actor with a bus pass is in there ...
Barry Norman (on "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" [2011]), RT 2015/12/12-18

Re: Who is using 64-bit W7 on newer physical PC hardwares?

<_VnzI.62120$431.20413@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=1463&group=alt.windows7.general#1463

Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general
From: not@mail.invalid (Mark Lloyd)
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 10:19:20 -0500
 by: Mark Lloyd - Sat, 19 Jun 2021 15:19 UTC

On 6/18/21 1:24 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

[snip]

>> I have a Win7 installation on a virtual machine. That computer died,
>> and I transferred the disk to a newer machine (new host OS
>
> Interesting. When you say you transferred the disk, do you just mean the
> file that represented the virtual machine, or physically moved a drive?

"disk" is getting to be an obsolete word, it was NVMe, which I was using
to make VMs run faster. I physically moved the drive. I've done this
before. Moved the drive to another PC to get the VM working quickly
after the hardware failed.

An unexpected problem with this move: I had to turn on a hard-to-find
setting (IIRC, called SVM) in setup to get 64-bit VMs to work.

>> installation), and it started giving "unsupported hardware" messages.
>> I just disabled automatic updates.
>>
> Interesting: I assume you mean the unsupported hardware messages stopped
> when you disabled automatic updates.

They did. It seems to be running fine, and I have no idea if there will
ever be any more updates.

BTW, I don't have much use for Edge. The important part seems just like
Chromium. You just get different integrated spyware (MS instead of Google).

> Which sounds like the checks - be
> they for supported hardware or a valid Windows - are related to the
> update server, which seems odd for either sort. Or?

Maybe they're doing this to get out of the need to test any updates on
the new hardware.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our
inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the
state of facts and evidence." -- John Adams