"It's like deja vu all over again." -- Yogi Berra

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

SubjectAuthor
* I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'svallor
`* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'sDFS
 `* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'svallor
  +* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'sChris Ahlstrom
  |`* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'sDFS
  | `* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'scandycanearter07
  |  +* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'sDFS
  |  |`- Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'scandycanearter07
  |  +* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'sChris Ahlstrom
  |  |`- Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'sDFS
  |  `* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'srbowman
  |   +* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'scandycanearter07
  |   |+* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'srbowman
  |   ||`* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'scandycanearter07
  |   || `* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'srbowman
  |   ||  `* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'scandycanearter07
  |   ||   `* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'srbowman
  |   ||    `* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'scandycanearter07
  |   ||     `* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'srbowman
  |   ||      `* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'scandycanearter07
  |   ||       `* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'srbowman
  |   ||        `- Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'scandycanearter07
  |   |`- Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'sDFS
  |   `* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'sDFS
  |    `- Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'srbowman
  `* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'sDFS
   `* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'svallor
    `* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'sDFS
     `* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'svallor
      `* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'sDFS
       +- Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'svallor
       `* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'srbowman
        +* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'sChris Ahlstrom
        |`* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'srbowman
        | `- Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'sChris Ahlstrom
        `* Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'schrisv
         `- Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE'sPhysfitfreak

Pages:12
I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<utuadd$1o43p$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12766&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12766

From: vallor@cultnix.org (vallor)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 11:09:33 -0000 (UTC)
XL'`91kd%N::LG:=*\35JS0prp\VJN^<s"b#bff@fA7]5lJA.jn,x_d%Md$,{.EZ
 by: vallor - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 11:09 UTC

I'm curious about how DFS is doing with his installation of
numerous desktop environments.

Will his package manager correctly track dependencies so
it doesn't remove something too early?

Do they all work?

And...is this all using WSL? How do DE's work with WSL?

I use xfce, which is fairly lightweight, but allows plenty
of customization.

For example, I set icon decorations for terminal windows using
emojis from the command prompt. I set different emojis for
different servers. "Home" is a penguin, as seen in this example:

https://imgur.com/a/m7lJ7bF

--
-v

Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<utujqh$1rf3k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12775&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12775

From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 09:50:10 -0400
 by: DFS - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 13:50 UTC

On 3/26/2024 7:09 AM, vallor wrote:

> I'm curious about how DFS is doing with his installation of
> numerous desktop environments.
>
> Will his package manager correctly track dependencies so
> it doesn't remove something too early?
>
> Do they all work?
>
> And...is this all using WSL? How do DE's work with WSL?
>
> I use xfce, which is fairly lightweight, but allows plenty
> of customization.
>
> For example, I set icon decorations for terminal windows using
> emojis from the command prompt. I set different emojis for
> different servers. "Home" is a penguin, as seen in this example:
>
> https://imgur.com/a/m7lJ7bF

I did that experiment long ago, starting from Manjaro/xfce on bare metal
(which I currently don't have, so you're in a better position than me
right now to do this experiment.)

What login manager are you running? SLIM has been deprecated, but it
was the default for Manjaro back then. Upon startup, it read the
available DE's from /usr/share/xsessions.

If you install fluxbox with your package manager, does it add an entry
to /usr/share/xsessions? If you logout, does your login manager now
show options for xfce and fluxbox?

Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<utuoqd$1sjoj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12782&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12782

From: vallor@cultnix.org (vallor)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 15:15:26 -0000 (UTC)
XL'`91kd%N::LG:=*\35JS0prp\VJN^<s"b#bff@fA7]5lJA.jn,x_d%Md$,{.EZ
 by: vallor - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 15:15 UTC

On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 09:50:10 -0400, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote in
<utujqh$1rf3k$1@dont-email.me>:

> On 3/26/2024 7:09 AM, vallor wrote:
>
>> I'm curious about how DFS is doing with his installation of
>> numerous desktop environments.
>>
>> Will his package manager correctly track dependencies so
>> it doesn't remove something too early?
>>
>> Do they all work?
>>
>> And...is this all using WSL? How do DE's work with WSL?
>>
>> I use xfce, which is fairly lightweight, but allows plenty
>> of customization.
>>
>> For example, I set icon decorations for terminal windows using
>> emojis from the command prompt. I set different emojis for
>> different servers. "Home" is a penguin, as seen in this example:
>>
>> https://imgur.com/a/m7lJ7bF
>

> I did that experiment long ago, starting from Manjaro/xfce on bare metal
> (which I currently don't have, so you're in a better position than me
> right now to do this experiment.)
>
> What login manager are you running?

lightdm.

> SLIM has been deprecated, but it
> was the default for Manjaro back then. Upon startup, it read the
> available DE's from /usr/share/xsessions.

I think they all do that. Lightdm does.

> If you install fluxbox with your package manager, does it add an entry
> to /usr/share/xsessions?

Yes.

> If you logout, does your login manager now
> show options for xfce and fluxbox?

Yes.

BTW, my commentary was on your post about repeating
the experiment, and your trolling cola mercilessly if
it failed. I'm paraphrasing -- you are in a better
position to pull up the post in question. But I don't
remember any clause about if you would let us know if
you _succeeded_... ;)

--
-v

Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<utusdv$1tdkp$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12787&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12787

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 12:17:03 -0400
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:17 UTC

vallor wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 09:50:10 -0400, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote in
> <utujqh$1rf3k$1@dont-email.me>:
>
>> What login manager are you running?
>
> lightdm.

I used to use that one.

>> SLIM has been deprecated, but it

I used to use that one.

>> was the default for Manjaro back then. Upon startup, it read the
>> available DE's from /usr/share/xsessions.
>
> I think they all do that. Lightdm does.

I am currently using SDDM on Ubuntu and Arch.

>> If you install fluxbox with your package manager, does it add an entry
>> to /usr/share/xsessions?
>
> Yes.

I like a lot more control over what goes on as Fluxbox starts up.
So I create /usr/share/xsessions/xsession.desktop (if it doesn't already
exist):

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Xsession
Exec=/etc/X11/Xsession

Already in there on this laptop are fluxbox.desktop, ubuntu.desktop, and
xfce.desktop.

>> If you logout, does your login manager now
>> show options for xfce and fluxbox?
>
> Yes.

When DFS logs out of Linux, he closes the VM and looks at a beeeeyooootiful
Windows desktop. With file extensions galore! :-D

--
Your manuscript is both good and original, but the part that is good is not
original and the part that is original is not good.

Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<utuucv$1u636$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12790&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12790

From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 12:50:37 -0400
 by: DFS - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:50 UTC

On 3/26/2024 11:15 AM, vallor wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 09:50:10 -0400, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote in
> <utujqh$1rf3k$1@dont-email.me>:
>
>> On 3/26/2024 7:09 AM, vallor wrote:
>>
>>> I'm curious about how DFS is doing with his installation of
>>> numerous desktop environments.
>>>
>>> Will his package manager correctly track dependencies so
>>> it doesn't remove something too early?
>>>
>>> Do they all work?
>>>
>>> And...is this all using WSL? How do DE's work with WSL?
>>>
>>> I use xfce, which is fairly lightweight, but allows plenty
>>> of customization.
>>>
>>> For example, I set icon decorations for terminal windows using
>>> emojis from the command prompt. I set different emojis for
>>> different servers. "Home" is a penguin, as seen in this example:
>>>
>>> https://imgur.com/a/m7lJ7bF
>>

>> I did that experiment long ago, starting from Manjaro/xfce on bare metal
>> (which I currently don't have, so you're in a better position than me
>> right now to do this experiment.)
>>
>> What login manager are you running?
>
> lightdm.
>
>> SLIM has been deprecated, but it
>> was the default for Manjaro back then. Upon startup, it read the
>> available DE's from /usr/share/xsessions.
>
> I think they all do that. Lightdm does.
>

>> If you install fluxbox with your package manager, does it add an entry
>> to /usr/share/xsessions?
>
> Yes.
>
>> If you logout, does your login manager now
>> show options for xfce and fluxbox?
>
> Yes.
>
> BTW, my commentary was on your post about repeating
> the experiment, and your trolling cola mercilessly if
> it failed. I'm paraphrasing -- you are in a better
> position to pull up the post in question. But I don't
> remember any clause about if you would let us know if
> you _succeeded_... ;)

heh! I'm fair (enough anyway), and of course I'll give credit if I'm
able to install all those different desktops, have them run cleanly,
then uninstall all but one and suffer no serious consequences.

Do I sense you're apprehensive about trying that experiment yourself?

Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<utvu35$2ebno$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12814&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12814

From: vallor@cultnix.org (vallor)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 01:51:33 -0000 (UTC)
XL'`91kd%N::LG:=*\35JS0prp\VJN^<s"b#bff@fA7]5lJA.jn,x_d%Md$,{.EZ
 by: vallor - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 01:51 UTC

On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 12:50:37 -0400, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote in
<utuucv$1u636$1@dont-email.me>:

> On 3/26/2024 11:15 AM, vallor wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 09:50:10 -0400, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote in
>> <utujqh$1rf3k$1@dont-email.me>:

>>> I did that experiment long ago, starting from Manjaro/xfce on bare metal
>>> (which I currently don't have, so you're in a better position than me
>>> right now to do this experiment.)
>>>
>>> What login manager are you running?
>>
>> lightdm.
>>
>>> SLIM has been deprecated, but it
>>> was the default for Manjaro back then. Upon startup, it read the
>>> available DE's from /usr/share/xsessions.
>>
>> I think they all do that. Lightdm does.
>>

>>> If you install fluxbox with your package manager, does it add an entry
>>> to /usr/share/xsessions?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> If you logout, does your login manager now
>>> show options for xfce and fluxbox?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> BTW, my commentary was on your post about repeating
>> the experiment, and your trolling cola mercilessly if
>> it failed. I'm paraphrasing -- you are in a better
>> position to pull up the post in question. But I don't
>> remember any clause about if you would let us know if
>> you _succeeded_... ;)
>
> heh! I'm fair (enough anyway), and of course I'll give credit if I'm
> able to install all those different desktops, have them run cleanly,
> then uninstall all but one and suffer no serious consequences.
>
> Do I sense you're apprehensive about trying that experiment yourself?

No, you sense that I'm not about to be goaded into performing
your experiment for you.

I did say, though, that I might do it anyway. But I asked
a question, which you perhaps overlooked: "don't you think DE's
have learned to stay out of each other's way after all these years?"

--
-v

Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<uu02ee$2k06p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12815&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12815

From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 23:05:49 -0400
 by: DFS - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 03:05 UTC

On 3/26/2024 9:51 PM, vallor wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 12:50:37 -0400, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote in
> <utuucv$1u636$1@dont-email.me>:
>
>> On 3/26/2024 11:15 AM, vallor wrote:

>>> lightdm.

>>> I think they all do that. Lightdm does.

>>> Yes.

>>> Yes.
>>>
>>> BTW, my commentary was on your post about repeating
>>> the experiment, and your trolling cola mercilessly if
>>> it failed. I'm paraphrasing -- you are in a better
>>> position to pull up the post in question. But I don't
>>> remember any clause about if you would let us know if
>>> you _succeeded_... ;)
>>
>> heh! I'm fair (enough anyway), and of course I'll give credit if I'm
>> able to install all those different desktops, have them run cleanly,
>> then uninstall all but one and suffer no serious consequences.
>>
>> Do I sense you're apprehensive about trying that experiment yourself?
>
> No, you sense that I'm not about to be goaded into performing
> your experiment for you.

paranoid!

> I did say, though, that I might do it anyway.

I don't know why I didn't finish the task 7 years ago, or make a post
about it.

Most likely at some point the uninstalls resulted in a borked or
unbootable (for me) system and I got sick of futzing with it.

But it's a worthwhile experiment to do again, which will probably
uncover some package mgmt issues the DE devs might be interested in.

> But I asked
> a question, which you perhaps overlooked: "don't you think DE's
> have learned to stay out of each other's way after all these years?"

I would be surprised if the install/run/uninstall of 8-10 DEs executes
flawlessly. It would be quite a feat. 7 years ago installing all those
DEs resulted in a myriad of duplicate entries in the Manjaro xfce start
menu.

The DE devs are still unpaid hobbyists for the most part, and I don't
think they're really willing to put in the excessive work to manage such
a rare scenario. That's asking a lot. Just being able to easily
install and run a wide variety of desktops is a nice gift.

Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<uu0831$2ebno$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12823&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12823

From: vallor@cultnix.org (vallor)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 04:42:09 -0000 (UTC)
XL'`91kd%N::LG:=*\35JS0prp\VJN^<s"b#bff@fA7]5lJA.jn,x_d%Md$,{.EZ
 by: vallor - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 04:42 UTC

On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 23:05:49 -0400, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote in
<uu02ee$2k06p$1@dont-email.me>:

> On 3/26/2024 9:51 PM, vallor wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 12:50:37 -0400, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote in
>> <utuucv$1u636$1@dont-email.me>:

>>> heh! I'm fair (enough anyway), and of course I'll give credit if I'm
>>> able to install all those different desktops, have them run cleanly,
>>> then uninstall all but one and suffer no serious consequences.
>>>
>>> Do I sense you're apprehensive about trying that experiment yourself?
>>
>> No, you sense that I'm not about to be goaded into performing
>> your experiment for you.
>
> paranoid!

Hah! Busted.

>> I did say, though, that I might do it anyway.
>
> I don't know why I didn't finish the task 7 years ago, or make a post
> about it.
>
> Most likely at some point the uninstalls resulted in a borked or
> unbootable (for me) system and I got sick of futzing with it.
>
> But it's a worthwhile experiment to do again, which will probably
> uncover some package mgmt issues the DE devs might be interested in.
>

>> But I asked
>> a question, which you perhaps overlooked: "don't you think DE's
>> have learned to stay out of each other's way after all these years?"
>
> I would be surprised if the install/run/uninstall of 8-10 DEs executes
> flawlessly. It would be quite a feat. 7 years ago installing all those
> DEs resulted in a myriad of duplicate entries in the Manjaro xfce start
> menu.

Led Zeppelin did a song called "Ramble On!" once...

What informs your low opinion? For example, How much time have
you spent perusing https://freedesktop.org ?

> The DE devs are still unpaid hobbyists for the most part, and I don't
> think they're really willing to put in the excessive work to manage such
> a rare scenario. That's asking a lot. Just being able to easily
> install and run a wide variety of desktops is a nice gift.

--
-v

Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<uu1cs3$2tf4m$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12831&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12831

From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:09:58 -0400
 by: DFS - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 15:09 UTC

On 3/27/2024 12:42 AM, vallor wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 23:05:49 -0400, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote in
> <uu02ee$2k06p$1@dont-email.me>:
>
>> On 3/26/2024 9:51 PM, vallor wrote:

>>> No, you sense that I'm not about to be goaded into performing
>>> your experiment for you.
>>
>> paranoid!
>
> Hah! Busted.

When I'm actually goading you, you'll [probably] know it.

Have you tried Entenmann's choc cupcakes?

https://www.entenmanns.com/en/products/chocolate-crème-filled-cupcakes

How many boxes can you down in a sitting?

>>> I did say, though, that I might do it anyway.
>>
>> I don't know why I didn't finish the task 7 years ago, or make a post
>> about it.
>>
>> Most likely at some point the uninstalls resulted in a borked or
>> unbootable (for me) system and I got sick of futzing with it.
>>
>> But it's a worthwhile experiment to do again, which will probably
>> uncover some package mgmt issues the DE devs might be interested in.
>>

>>> But I asked
>>> a question, which you perhaps overlooked: "don't you think DE's
>>> have learned to stay out of each other's way after all these years?"
>>
>> I would be surprised if the install/run/uninstall of 8-10 DEs executes
>> flawlessly. It would be quite a feat. 7 years ago installing all those
>> DEs resulted in a myriad of duplicate entries in the Manjaro xfce start
>> menu.
>
> Led Zeppelin did a song called "Ramble On!" once...

They also did 'Custard Pie'...

> What informs your low opinion?

Nearly 2 decades of experiencing hobbyware issues, such as "Installing
183 of 150"

Do I smell a wager coming on?

> For example, How much time have you spent perusing https://freedesktop.org ?

Here and there. Are they responsible for https://imgur.com/a/v1Mx5rF,
which has been happening for as long as I've tried Linux.

>> The DE devs are still unpaid hobbyists for the most part, and I don't
>> think they're really willing to put in the excessive work to manage such
>> a rare scenario. That's asking a lot. Just being able to easily
>> install and run a wide variety of desktops is a nice gift.

I mean it. I used to like tinkering with Linux desktops. Now I just
run console code at the Linux command line.

Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<uu1dk5$2tqdo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12833&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12833

From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:22:46 -0400
 by: DFS - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 15:22 UTC

On 3/26/2024 12:17 PM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> When DFS logs out of Linux, he closes the VM and looks at a beeeeyooootiful
> Windows desktop.

Yes!

But the very first thing that happens after logging out of the WSL vm is
I'm returned to the drab (by default) Windows Terminal. I need to spice
that thing up.

> With file extensions galore! :-D

Is it an .mp4? An .mpg? A .wmv? I gots to know.

https://imgur.com/a/jQv0eHw

Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<uu1ekq$2u1mm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12834&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12834

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 15:40:10 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 15:40 UTC

DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote at 15:22 this Wednesday (GMT):
> On 3/26/2024 12:17 PM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>

>> When DFS logs out of Linux, he closes the VM and looks at a beeeeyooootiful
>> Windows desktop.
>

> Yes!
>
> But the very first thing that happens after logging out of the WSL vm is
> I'm returned to the drab (by default) Windows Terminal. I need to spice
> that thing up.

Admittedly, the "modern" "metro" Windows Terminal app does look nice.

>> With file extensions galore! :-D
>
> Is it an .mp4? An .mpg? A .wmv? I gots to know.
>
> https://imgur.com/a/jQv0eHw

lol

Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<uu1m7i$2vjep$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12844&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12844

From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 13:49:38 -0400
 by: DFS - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 17:49 UTC

On 3/27/2024 11:40 AM, candycanearter07 wrote:
> DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote at 15:22 this Wednesday (GMT):
>> On 3/26/2024 12:17 PM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>>

>>> When DFS logs out of Linux, he closes the VM and looks at a beeeeyooootiful
>>> Windows desktop.
>>

>> Yes!
>>
>> But the very first thing that happens after logging out of the WSL vm is
>> I'm returned to the drab (by default) Windows Terminal. I need to spice
>> that thing up.
>>
> Admittedly, the "modern" "metro" Windows Terminal app does look nice.

The default look is blah.

But you can do lots of customizations to Windows Terminal (similar to
the customizations you've always been able to do in many of the Linux
terminal apps).

Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<uu1us1$31vr9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12847&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12847

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 16:17:04 -0400
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 20:17 UTC

candycanearter07 wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote at 15:22 this Wednesday (GMT):
>> On 3/26/2024 12:17 PM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>>
>>> When DFS logs out of Linux, he closes the VM and looks at a beeeeyooootiful
>>> Windows desktop.
>>
>> Yes!
>>
>> But the very first thing that happens after logging out of the WSL vm is
>> I'm returned to the drab (by default) Windows Terminal. I need to spice
>> that thing up.
>>
> Admittedly, the "modern" "metro" Windows Terminal app does look nice.
>>
>>> With file extensions galore! :-D
>>
>> Is it an .mp4? An .mpg? A .wmv? I gots to know.
>>
>> https://imgur.com/a/jQv0eHw
>
> lol

Did the dipshit try "file". Or was he too busy licking himself?

--
Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted;
persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting

Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<uu20pv$32fj9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12850&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12850

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 20:50:08 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 20:50 UTC

DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote at 17:49 this Wednesday (GMT):
> On 3/27/2024 11:40 AM, candycanearter07 wrote:
>> DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote at 15:22 this Wednesday (GMT):

>>> Yes!
>>>
>>> But the very first thing that happens after logging out of the WSL vm is
>>> I'm returned to the drab (by default) Windows Terminal. I need to spice
>>> that thing up.
>>>
>> Admittedly, the "modern" "metro" Windows Terminal app does look nice.
>

> The default look is blah.
>
> But you can do lots of customizations to Windows Terminal (similar to
> the customizations you've always been able to do in many of the Linux
> terminal apps).

Yeah, it is suprising how nice the customization is.

Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<uu26ka$33n15$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12855&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12855

From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 18:29:31 -0400
 by: DFS - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 22:29 UTC

On 3/27/2024 4:17 PM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> candycanearter07 wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote at 15:22 this Wednesday (GMT):

>>> Yes!
>>>
>>> But the very first thing that happens after logging out of the WSL vm is
>>> I'm returned to the drab (by default) Windows Terminal. I need to spice
>>> that thing up.
>>>
>> Admittedly, the "modern" "metro" Windows Terminal app does look nice.

>>> Is it an .mp4? An .mpg? A .wmv? I gots to know.
>>>
>>> https://imgur.com/a/jQv0eHw
>>
>> lol
>
> Did the dipshit try "file". Or was he too busy licking himself?

autistic are ya?

Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<uu2j15$2pjbi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12860&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12860

From: vallor@cultnix.org (vallor)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 02:01:09 -0000 (UTC)
XL'`91kd%N::LG:=*\35JS0prp\VJN^<s"b#bff@fA7]5lJA.jn,x_d%Md$,{.EZ
 by: vallor - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 02:01 UTC

On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:09:58 -0400, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote in
<uu1cs3$2tf4m$2@dont-email.me>:

> On 3/27/2024 12:42 AM, vallor wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 23:05:49 -0400, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote in
>> <uu02ee$2k06p$1@dont-email.me>:

>>> paranoid!
>>
>> Hah! Busted.
>

> When I'm actually goading you, you'll [probably] know it.
>

> Have you tried Entenmann's choc cupcakes?

No. Sounds gross.

> How many boxes can you down in a sitting?

That's pretty gross, and would only be thought up
by a clown like you that ate himself into diabetes, "Bull".

>>> I don't know why I didn't finish the task 7 years ago, or make a post
>>> about it.
>>>
>>> Most likely at some point the uninstalls resulted in a borked or
>>> unbootable (for me) system and I got sick of futzing with it.
>>>
>>> But it's a worthwhile experiment to do again, which will probably
>>> uncover some package mgmt issues the DE devs might be interested in.

>>> I would be surprised if the install/run/uninstall of 8-10 DEs executes
>>> flawlessly. It would be quite a feat. 7 years ago installing all those
>>> DEs resulted in a myriad of duplicate entries in the Manjaro xfce start
>>> menu.
>>
>> Led Zeppelin did a song called "Ramble On!" once...
>
> They also did 'Custard Pie'...

What made you think of that, Porko?

Look, I would rather talk about Linux than your dietary
habits, so if you insist on projecting your culinary fantasies, I'm
going to stop talking to you.

>> What informs your low opinion?
>
> Nearly 2 decades of experiencing hobbyware issues, such as "Installing
> 183 of 150"
>
> Do I smell a wager coming on?

No.

>> For example, How much time have you spent perusing https://freedesktop.org ?
>
> Here and there. Are they responsible for https://imgur.com/a/v1Mx5rF,
> which has been happening for as long as I've tried Linux.

You have to work with the package manager to avoid that sort
of thing.

apt is conservative, and will tend to hold on to packages.
If you want those menu files removed, you're probably going to have
to run apt in cleanup mode at the very least.

(To be fair, I don't know the exact reason for your multiple menu
entries, but it is almost certainly multiple copies of .desktop files
in your menu directory from multiple package dependencies pulled-in
from installation of the DE's.)

>>> The DE devs are still unpaid hobbyists for the most part, and I don't
>>> think they're really willing to put in the excessive work to manage such
>>> a rare scenario. That's asking a lot. Just being able to easily
>>> install and run a wide variety of desktops is a nice gift.
>
> I mean it. I used to like tinkering with Linux desktops. Now I just
> run console code at the Linux command line.

I thought you installed gedit?

--
-v

Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<l6k5bfFhatiU11@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12864&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12864

From: bowman@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 28 Mar 2024 03:09:35 GMT
 by: rbowman - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 03:09 UTC

On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:09:58 -0400, DFS wrote:

> Have you tried Entenmann's choc cupcakes?
>
> https://www.entenmanns.com/en/products/chocolate-crème-filled-cupcakes

Entemann's isn't bad but it can't compare to Freihofer's chocolate chip
cookies or in this season Freihofer's hot cross buns. Neither make it west
of the Mississippi afaik so I'm spared the temptation.

Both now are owned by Bimbo Bakeries. How the hell did that company avoid
being canceled by the bimbos?

Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<l6k5itFhatiU12@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12865&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12865

From: bowman@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 28 Mar 2024 03:13:33 GMT
 by: rbowman - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 03:13 UTC

On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 15:40:10 -0000 (UTC), candycanearter07 wrote:

> Admittedly, the "modern" "metro" Windows Terminal app does look nice.

After all these years... I do like the way I can select Kali from the
dropdown and have a Linux console at my fingertips or <Ctrl> cmd and get
an Administrator concole that spawns new Adminisrtator consoles.

Windows Terminal, virtual desktops, you're getting there Windows.

Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<uu3kin$3htbr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12870&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12870

From: OFeem1987@teleworm.us (Chris Ahlstrom)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 07:33:43 -0400
 by: Chris Ahlstrom - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 11:33 UTC

rbowman wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:09:58 -0400, DFS wrote:
>

>> Have you tried Entenmann's choc cupcakes?
>>
>> https://www.entenmanns.com/en/products/chocolate-crème-filled-cupcakes
>
> Entemann's isn't bad but it can't compare to Freihofer's chocolate chip
> cookies or in this season Freihofer's hot cross buns. Neither make it west
> of the Mississippi afaik so I'm spared the temptation.
>
> Both now are owned by Bimbo Bakeries. How the hell did that company avoid
> being canceled by the bimbos?

It's a multinational Mexican co.

--
Q: Why haven't you graduated yet?
A: Well, Dad, I could have finished years ago, but I wanted

Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<00na0jpderngsvdoct5c2h83ot8i8r420f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12872&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12872

From: chrisv@nospam.invalid (chrisv)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 07:05:41 -0500
 by: chrisv - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 12:05 UTC

rbowman wrote:

>Entemann's isn't bad but it can't compare to Freihofer's chocolate chip
>cookies or in this season Freihofer's hot cross buns. Neither make it west
>of the Mississippi afaik so I'm spared the temptation.
>
>Both now are owned by Bimbo Bakeries. How the hell did that company avoid
>being canceled by the bimbos?

Maybe it's one of those words that used to be an insult, but is now
embraced. Like "queer".

--
"My whole claim is that JPGs can and often do have EXIF data (but need
not to). [Peter K] claims I am wrong." - some thing, lying

Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<uu3vg9$3kpc9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12881&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12881

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 14:40:09 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 14:40 UTC

rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote at 03:13 this Thursday (GMT):
> On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 15:40:10 -0000 (UTC), candycanearter07 wrote:
>
>> Admittedly, the "modern" "metro" Windows Terminal app does look nice.
>
> After all these years... I do like the way I can select Kali from the
> dropdown and have a Linux console at my fingertips or <Ctrl> cmd and get
> an Administrator concole that spawns new Adminisrtator consoles.
>
> Windows Terminal, virtual desktops, you're getting there Windows.

2 steps forward, but the ads still kill it for me. I'm sick of AI
marketing everywhere.

Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<uu4ie3$1v50b$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12887&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12887

From: Physfitfreak@gmail.com (Physfitfreak)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 15:03:16 -0500
 by: Physfitfreak - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 20:03 UTC

On 3/28/2024 7:05 AM, chrisv wrote:
> rbowman wrote:
>
>> Entemann's isn't bad but it can't compare to Freihofer's chocolate chip
>> cookies or in this season Freihofer's hot cross buns. Neither make it west
>> of the Mississippi afaik so I'm spared the temptation.
>>
>> Both now are owned by Bimbo Bakeries. How the hell did that company avoid
>> being canceled by the bimbos?
>
> Maybe it's one of those words that used to be an insult, but is now
> embraced. Like "queer".

I don't know what generation you are, but I remember calling gays
"Greek" also :)

Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<l6m2tkFqn2rU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12893&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12893

From: bowman@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 28 Mar 2024 20:40:20 GMT
 by: rbowman - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 20:40 UTC

On Thu, 28 Mar 2024 14:40:09 -0000 (UTC), candycanearter07 wrote:

> 2 steps forward, but the ads still kill it for me. I'm sick of AI
> marketing everywhere.

I use Brave which has its own search engine and half-assed AI summary.
I've noticed that many searches come back with ads. Bad example but 'cat
food' comes back with 'Shopping', Amazon hits, clickbait sites 'The Best
Cat Food of 2024' and so forth unless you narrow it with 'cat food wiki'
that at least gets some information on what you feed an obligate
carnivore.

Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<l6m3b8Fqn2rU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12894&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12894

From: bowman@montana.com (rbowman)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 28 Mar 2024 20:47:36 GMT
 by: rbowman - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 20:47 UTC

On Thu, 28 Mar 2024 07:33:43 -0400, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> rbowman wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:09:58 -0400, DFS wrote:
>>

>>> Have you tried Entenmann's choc cupcakes?
>>>
>>> https://www.entenmanns.com/en/products/chocolate-crème-filled-cupcakes
>>
>> Entemann's isn't bad but it can't compare to Freihofer's chocolate chip
>> cookies or in this season Freihofer's hot cross buns. Neither make it
>> west of the Mississippi afaik so I'm spared the temptation.
>>
>> Both now are owned by Bimbo Bakeries. How the hell did that company
>> avoid being canceled by the bimbos?
>
> It's a multinational Mexican co.

So it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bimbo_Bakeries_USA

"The name "Bimbo" was first coined in 1945 when the company switched from
Super Pan S.A.[clarification needed] A blend of the words "bingo" and
"Bambi",[9] the name's innocent, childlike associations fit the image that
the company wished to build. The English word "bimbo", with its negative
connotations, has no corollary in Spanish."

Car manufacturers have also picked inappropriate names for models
targeting a non-English market. The perils of being a multinational.

Re: I'm curious about DFS's experiment with DE's

<uu5bej$2kpd$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12915&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#12915

From: candycanearter07@candycanearter07.nomail.afraid (candycanearter07)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 03:10:11 -0000 (UTC)
b+ V4R8q|QiU/R8\|G\WpC`-s?=)\fbtNc&=/a3a)r7xbRI]Vl)r<%PTriJ3pGpl_/B6!8pe\btzx
`~R! r3.0#lHRE+^Gro0[cjsban'vZ#j7,?I/tHk{s=TFJ:H?~=]`O*~3ZX`qik`b:.gVIc-[$t/e
ZrQsWJ >|l^I_[pbsIqwoz.WGA]<D
 by: candycanearter07 - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 03:10 UTC

rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote at 20:40 this Thursday (GMT):
> On Thu, 28 Mar 2024 14:40:09 -0000 (UTC), candycanearter07 wrote:
>
>> 2 steps forward, but the ads still kill it for me. I'm sick of AI
>> marketing everywhere.
>
> I use Brave which has its own search engine and half-assed AI summary.
> I've noticed that many searches come back with ads. Bad example but 'cat
> food' comes back with 'Shopping', Amazon hits, clickbait sites 'The Best
> Cat Food of 2024' and so forth unless you narrow it with 'cat food wiki'
> that at least gets some information on what you feed an obligate
> carnivore.

Didn't brave have some big controversy?