"History is a tool used by politicians to justify their intentions." -- Ted Koppel

computers / comp.os.linux.misc / Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

SubjectAuthor
* Distro tries to set up own partitionvjp2.at
+- Re: Distro tries to set up own partitionvjp2.at
+* Re: Distro tries to set up own partitionBobbie Sellers
|`* Re: Distro tries to set up own partition24E.X756
| +* Re: Distro tries to set up own partitionCarlos E.R.
| |`* Re: Distro tries to set up own partitionvjp2.at
| | +- Re: Distro tries to set up own partition27E.G756
| | `* Re: Distro tries to set up own partitionCarlos E.R.
| |  `* Re: Distro tries to set up own partition27E.G756
| |   +* Re: Distro tries to set up own partitionjeshgrca
| |   |`* Re: Distro tries to set up own partitionCarlos E.R.
| |   | `- Re: Distro tries to set up own partitionjeshgrca
| |   +- Re: Distro tries to set up own partitionBobbie Sellers
| |   `* Re: Distro tries to set up own partitionRich
| |    `* Re: Distro tries to set up own partition27E.G756
| |     `* Re: Distro tries to set up own partitionRich
| |      +* Re: Distro tries to set up own partition27E.G756
| |      |`* Re: Distro tries to set up own partitionRich
| |      | `* Re: Distro tries to set up own partition27E.G756
| |      |  `* Re: Distro tries to set up own partitionRich
| |      |   `- Re: Distro tries to set up own partition27E.G756
| |      `* Re: Distro tries to set up own partitionThe Natural Philosopher
| |       `* Re: Distro tries to set up own partition27E.G756
| |        `* Re: Distro tries to set up own partitionRich
| |         `- Re: Distro tries to set up own partition27E.G756
| `* Re: Distro tries to set up own partitionDan Espen
|  `* Re: Distro tries to set up own partition27E.G756
|   `* Re: Distro tries to set up own partitionDan Espen
|    `- Re: Distro tries to set up own partition27E.G756
+* Re: Distro tries to set up own partitionNuno Silva
|`* Re: Distro tries to set up own partitionvjp2.at
| `- Re: Distro tries to set up own partition27E.G756
`* Re: Distro tries to set up own partitionvjp2.at
 `- Re: Distro tries to set up own partitionBobbie Sellers

Pages:12
Distro tries to set up own partition

<tviblo$t6a$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12054&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12054

From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Distro tries to set up own partition
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 20:09:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 20:09 UTC

CAE Linux Lite works on the machine I couldn't load Quantian on,
however it ignores my sda5 10MB linux partition and tries to use my sda7 data
partiton, dividing it into a linux sda7 and data sda8.

SHould I totally delete my extended (linux, swap, data) partiton, tkae the
opportunity to slightly enlarge windows and then let it shape the remaining
disk to its pleasure?

--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

<tvic0s$eim$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12055&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12055

From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Distro tries to set up own partition
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 20:15:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 20:15 UTC

Also it views my MSDOS partition sda1 as if it was the XP partition (which is xda2)

--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

<tvieb7$1a3vm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12056&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12056

From: bliss@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 13:55:01 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 20:55 UTC

On 3/23/23 13:09, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
> CAE Linux Lite works on the machine I couldn't load Quantian on,
> however it ignores my sda5 10MB linux partition and tries to use my sda7 data
> partiton, dividing it into a linux sda7 and data sda8.

10 MB is too small. 10 GB might be to small. Why don't you go to the
site and see what is recommended.

Also how are you trying to install and why are you using that method?

Did you remember to runch

On 3/23/23 13:15, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
> Also it views my MSDOS partition sda1 as if it was the XP partition
(which is xda2)

Really what does a Live Linux distribution using modern tools like
GPartEd tell you about your equipment. If you have enough
CPU speed and enough memory you should be running everything MS-DOS
Windows, in a GNU/Linux emulation software like VirtualBox and their
are specific DOS emulators. Maybe you could do that with CAE Linux.
I never neard of it before I looked it up I could reply to you.
Probably a good choice. See if it will play nice with VB or one of
the other emulations wares.

Good luck!
bliss

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

<zfudnWcr3L1qnYD5nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12058&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12058

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: 24E.X756@noq21u.net (24E.X756)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 21:46:30 -0400
 by: 24E.X756 - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 01:46 UTC

On 3/23/23 4:55 PM, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
> On 3/23/23 13:09, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
>> CAE Linux Lite works on the machine I couldn't load Quantian on,
>> however it ignores my sda5 10MB linux partition and tries to use my
>> sda7 data
>> partiton, dividing it into a linux sda7 and data sda8.
>

> 10 MB is too small.  10 GB might be to small.  Why don't you go to the
> site and see what is recommended.
>
> Also how are you trying to install and why are you using that method?
>
> Did you remember to runch
>

>> SHould I totally delete my extended (linux, swap, data) partiton, tkae
>> the
>> opportunity to slightly enlarge windows and then let it shape the
>> remaining
>> disk to its pleasure?
>>

> On 3/23/23 13:15, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
> > Also it views my MSDOS partition sda1 as if it was the XP partition
> (which is xda2)
>
>     Really what does a Live Linux distribution using modern tools like
> GPartEd tell you about your equipment.  If you have enough
> CPU speed and enough memory you should be running everything MS-DOS
> Windows, in a GNU/Linux emulation software like VirtualBox and their
> are specific DOS emulators.  Maybe you could do that with CAE Linux.
> I never neard of it before I looked it up I could reply to you.
> Probably a good choice.  See if it will play nice with VB or one of
> the other emulations wares.

Hmmmm ... what if he makes like a 10gb empty space on his
disk and then uses gparted to copy the CD and paste it
into the empty space ? Then run update-grub and see what
it comes up with ????

'dd' could do the copy too - but you have to be REALLY
sure about the exact dest point on the hdd.

I still think VirtualBox is by far his best option. It
WILL run an iso image.

Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

<tvjk1h$1ikrr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12060&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12060

From: nunojsilva@invalid.invalid (Nuno Silva)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 07:38:25 +0000
 by: Nuno Silva - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 07:38 UTC

(Are my posts getting through to panix.com?)

On 2023-03-23, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:

> CAE Linux Lite works on the machine I couldn't load Quantian on,

https://www.caelinux.com/CMS3/index.php/download has something from
2020. Wikipedia (and Quantian's site?) says Quantian's newest release is
from 2006: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantian
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html

This does not mean Quantian can't work, but might imply there are at
least differences in how to get it to work. It is also possible that
some hardware is not supported in Quantian's Linux (kernel) version.

--
Nuno Silva

Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

<0v00fjxalp.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12061&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12061

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 08:44:00 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 07:44 UTC

On 2023-03-24 02:46, 24E.X756 wrote:
> On 3/23/23 4:55 PM, Bobbie Sellers wrote:
>> On 3/23/23 13:09, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
>>> CAE Linux Lite works on the machine I couldn't load Quantian on,
>>> however it ignores my sda5 10MB linux partition and tries to use my
>>> sda7 data
>>> partiton, dividing it into a linux sda7 and data sda8.
>>

>> 10 MB is too small.  10 GB might be to small.  Why don't you go to the
>> site and see what is recommended.
>>
>> Also how are you trying to install and why are you using that method?
>>
>> Did you remember to runch
>>

>>> SHould I totally delete my extended (linux, swap, data) partiton,
>>> tkae the
>>> opportunity to slightly enlarge windows and then let it shape the
>>> remaining
>>> disk to its pleasure?
>>>

>> On 3/23/23 13:15, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
>>  > Also it views my MSDOS partition sda1 as if it was the XP partition
>> (which is xda2)
>>
>>      Really what does a Live Linux distribution using modern tools
>> like GPartEd tell you about your equipment.  If you have enough
>> CPU speed and enough memory you should be running everything MS-DOS
>> Windows, in a GNU/Linux emulation software like VirtualBox and their
>> are specific DOS emulators.  Maybe you could do that with CAE Linux.
>> I never neard of it before I looked it up I could reply to you.
>> Probably a good choice.  See if it will play nice with VB or one of
>> the other emulations wares.
>
>   Hmmmm ... what if he makes like a 10gb empty space on his
>   disk and then uses gparted to copy the CD and paste it
>   into the empty space ? Then run update-grub and see what
>   it comes up with ????
>
>   'dd' could do the copy too - but you have to be REALLY
>   sure about the exact dest point on the hdd.

The procedure would be:

- Create a partition (empty) in that 10g empty space

- dd the iso into the partition

dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dev/sdXy bs=1MiB

Not sure it can be booted.

>   I still think VirtualBox is by far his best option. It
>   WILL run an iso image.

Yep.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

<tvkf63$1nbre$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12072&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12072

From: dan1espen@gmail.com (Dan Espen)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 11:21:39 -0400
 by: Dan Espen - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 15:21 UTC

"24E.X756" <24E.X756@noq21u.net> writes:

> I still think VirtualBox is by far his best option. It
> WILL run an iso image.

I found KVM/QEMU to be totally superior to VB.
It seemed like at every turn VB wanted me to pay for some feature.
The feature I wanted to use was in KVM/QEMU and it worked better than VB.

--
Dan Espen

Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

<tvl0vl$gm4$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12076&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12076

From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 20:25:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 20:25 UTC

*+-This does not mean Quantian can't work, but might imply there are at
*+-least differences in how to get it to work. It is also possible that
*+-some hardware is not supported in Quantian's Linux (kernel) version.

It could mean the Quantian ISO on archivos on sourceforge is bad

But I can't find another one to try

WHat I will try is Linpus from Archive.org, just to prove the bad-iso vs
bad-distro theory

I appreciate the mention of the Virtual Box approach, just that I haven't
been able to properly think about it yet

--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

<tvl13e$gm4$2@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12077&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12077

From: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 20:27:26 -0000 (UTC)
 by: vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com - Fri, 24 Mar 2023 20:27 UTC

I welcome and appreciate these comments, but am not sure I fully understand
them yet:

*+->
*+-> ?? 'dd' could do the copy too - but you have to be REALLY
*+-> ?? sure about the exact dest point on the hdd.

*+-The procedure would be:

*+- - Create a partition (empty) in that 10g empty space

*+- - dd the iso into the partition

*+-dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dev/sdXy bs=1MiB

*+-Not sure it can be booted.

*+-> ?? I still think VirtualBox is by far his best option. It
*+-> ?? WILL run an iso image.

--
Vasos Panagiotopoulos panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

<iL-cnVn--Zax8oP5nZ2dnZfqn_GdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12083&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12083

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!usenet.blueworldhosting.com!diablo1.usenet.blueworldhosting.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr2.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.18.MISMATCH!border-1.nntp.ord.giganews.com!border-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-1.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.earthlink.com!news.earthlink.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: 27E.G756@noq24u.net (27E.G756)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2023 23:48:59 -0400
 by: 27E.G756 - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 03:48 UTC

On 3/24/23 4:27 PM, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
> I welcome and appreciate these comments, but am not sure I fully understand
> them yet:
>
> *+->
> *+-> ?? 'dd' could do the copy too - but you have to be REALLY
> *+-> ?? sure about the exact dest point on the hdd.
>
> *+-The procedure would be:
>
> *+- - Create a partition (empty) in that 10g empty space
>
> *+- - dd the iso into the partition
>
> *+-dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dev/sdXy bs=1MiB
>
> *+-Not sure it can be booted.
>

> *+-> ?? I still think VirtualBox is by far his best option. It
> *+-> ?? WILL run an iso image.

"sudo apt-get install virtualbox"

Or if you have synaptic installed you can search
for virtualbox and probably see a few more options.

You WILL want the "extension pack". You can also go
direct to the Oracle VB download site to get THE
latest version, but the slightly older ones are
perfectly good.

Run the Virtualbox GUI. From the menu pick the
'new virtual machine' option. You will be asked
to pick an image - in your case you'd need to
navigate to the Knoppix ISO (likely on a CD).
Pick "Linux 32bit" as the type (if it's old
it's almost surely 32 bit). You will have to
manually pick it.

Then you set up the virtual disk. The easy option
is one that grows as needed (to a point) and set
it for about twice the 'suggested' size. There
are options for picking the max memory that the
machine can use and how many CPU cores. For
an old Knoppix one core should be good enough.

Anyway, there are extensive instructions online.
It's not 'hard' - actually the least clear part
these days is in how to pick the damned image
file ....

The big advantage of VBox is that it'll get around
most of those weird boot-up issues you get with an
actual partition. Install the extension pack and
you can give the virtual machine better access to
the outside world, even create a shared folder so
your main distro can send/receive files with
the virtual machine.

There is a competing system called KVM ... it is
a tad more complex to install. It has a few
advantages for an 'industrial environment' but
is also more difficult to tweak. The VBox GUI
is more 'user friendly'.

DO go into your BIOS menu and search around to see
if your chip has virtual machine capabilities. Half
the time they're enabled by default, the other half
of the time ... and not all CPUs have it. You can
still run Virtualbox without an enhanced chip but
it'll be a 'software emulation' and slower.

Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

<YQOdnVBW9tMQ64P5nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12085&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12085

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: 27E.G756@noq24u.net (27E.G756)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 00:20:13 -0400
 by: 27E.G756 - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 04:20 UTC

On 3/24/23 11:21 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
> "24E.X756" <24E.X756@noq21u.net> writes:
>
>> I still think VirtualBox is by far his best option. It
>> WILL run an iso image.
>
> I found KVM/QEMU to be totally superior to VB.
> It seemed like at every turn VB wanted me to pay for some feature.
> The feature I wanted to use was in KVM/QEMU and it worked better than VB.

Nothing I've ever done with it has required paying a penny.

KVM is good - but some aspects are less user-friendly. It'll
likely want to install a custom kernel (which may or may NOT
work correctly) and enlarging virtual disk space and a bunch
of little options require editing the rather dense config
file for the VM. I've used both, they both deliver, but
the poster seems unfamiliar with virtual machines, so ...

I have a bunch of VMs on VBox - everything from CP/M-86
and Win-1.1 (horrible !) to DOS and a number of useful
(or interesting) Linux distros. I even scored some of
the Good Old multipass compilers for DOS - 'C' and Pascal -
and they all work properly on the VBox VMs.

Still trying to get Plan-9 into a VM ... but some of
what's in the install menus sounds kinda scary ...
it expects to own the whole physical HDD and does
not seem entirely happy with the virtual versions.
I'll get it eventually when I have time.

I posted a kind of walk-through for the OP on how to
use VBox. Maybe he can fill in the gaps himself. He
is clearly NOT having any success installing that
old Knoppix distro on a physical disk partition and
I'm afraid he's gonna nuke his whole system trying.
VBox/KVM are a lot safer and ultimately easier.

Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

<29ecnZ-cT7Df4IP5nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12086&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12086

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: 27E.G756@noq24u.net (27E.G756)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 00:48:51 -0400
 by: 27E.G756 - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 04:48 UTC

On 3/24/23 4:25 PM, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
> *+-This does not mean Quantian can't work, but might imply there are at
> *+-least differences in how to get it to work. It is also possible that
> *+-some hardware is not supported in Quantian's Linux (kernel) version.
>
> It could mean the Quantian ISO on archivos on sourceforge is bad
>
> But I can't find another one to try
>
> WHat I will try is Linpus from Archive.org, just to prove the bad-iso vs
> bad-distro theory
>

> I appreciate the mention of the Virtual Box approach, just that I haven't
> been able to properly think about it yet

Bad downloadables DO happen ... so DO try to find
an alternative.

You're making me nervous though - I'm afraid you're
gonna nuke your whole system trying to force Knoppix
in there. A few of the suggestions myself and others
have made can be catastrophic if not done *perfectly*.

I posted a kind of guide to using VirtualBox. It is
not complete, but I hope you can see the basic steps
required to set up a VM for your Knoppix. This is
the SAFE approach and, to a degree, is more likely
to work for an old distro AND gives better access
to current system hardware and such.

I've been able to run CP/M-86 on VBox (it was the
"other disk" that came with the original IBM-PCs)
and there were no hardware/driver issues for simply
making it run. Printers and such can kinda bridge
thru VBox and you can get at least very basic operation.
Good luck finding a driver for CP/M-86 for anything
but a TTY printer :-)

Oh, and there ARE some Turbo Pascal's that'll run
in CP/M-86 ...... v1,2 and I think 3. DOS was kind
of a rip-off of CP/M and they are similar enough
under the hood so the TP compilers don't have to
work very hard.

If VBox decides to just directly run the Knoppix
ISO image then note the image needs to be
*somewhere* VBox can get at it. This can be as
a file on your HDD, in your current distro, if
necessary. Otherwise you'd always need to
insert the CD. There is a very very minimal Linux
called Slitaz (made in Tasmania) that does not
want to install to an actual HDD partition - but
VBox can run the ISO directly and it comes up
perfectly well.

Note that your Knoppix is almost surely 32-bit, so
in VBox you'll be asked what kind of system - and
you need to manually pick the generic Linux 32-bit
option from the menu. The auto-detect is kinda stupid.

Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

<1j23fjx089.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12087&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12087

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 12:30:09 +0100
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 11:30 UTC

On 2023-03-24 21:27, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
> I welcome and appreciate these comments, but am not sure I fully understand
> them yet:
>
> *+->
> *+-> ?? 'dd' could do the copy too - but you have to be REALLY
> *+-> ?? sure about the exact dest point on the hdd.
>
> *+-The procedure would be:
>
> *+- - Create a partition (empty) in that 10g empty space
>
> *+- - dd the iso into the partition
>
> *+-dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dev/sdXy bs=1MiB
>
> *+-Not sure it can be booted.

If you don't understand this then I'm not going to explain. Too
dangerous, sorry.

Go the virtualbox route instead.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

<tvn520$2854p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12090&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12090

From: dan1espen@gmail.com (Dan Espen)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 11:47:12 -0400
 by: Dan Espen - Sat, 25 Mar 2023 15:47 UTC

"27E.G756" <27E.G756@noq24u.net> writes:

> On 3/24/23 11:21 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
>> "24E.X756" <24E.X756@noq21u.net> writes:
>>
>>> I still think VirtualBox is by far his best option. It
>>> WILL run an iso image.
>> I found KVM/QEMU to be totally superior to VB.
>> It seemed like at every turn VB wanted me to pay for some feature.
>> The feature I wanted to use was in KVM/QEMU and it worked better than VB.
>
> Nothing I've ever done with it has required paying a penny.
>
> KVM is good - but some aspects are less user-friendly. It'll
> likely want to install a custom kernel (which may or may NOT
> work correctly)

Under Fedora, I didn't have any "custom kernel" step.
I installed the package, it just worked.

I actually found KVM/QEMU more user friendly.

--
Dan Espen

Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

<etecndhvtMq3U4L5nZ2dnZfqn_ednZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12102&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12102

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: 27E.G756@noq24u.net (27E.G756)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 00:46:33 -0400
 by: 27E.G756 - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 04:46 UTC

On 3/25/23 11:47 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
> "27E.G756" <27E.G756@noq24u.net> writes:

>>> I found KVM/QEMU to be totally superior to VB.
>>> It seemed like at every turn VB wanted me to pay for some feature.
>>> The feature I wanted to use was in KVM/QEMU and it worked better than VB.
>>
>> Nothing I've ever done with it has required paying a penny.
>>
>> KVM is good - but some aspects are less user-friendly. It'll
>> likely want to install a custom kernel (which may or may NOT
>> work correctly)
>
> Under Fedora, I didn't have any "custom kernel" step.
> I installed the package, it just worked.
>
> I actually found KVM/QEMU more user friendly.

Experiences vary.

KVM kinda TRASHED a UServer 20.04 I had ... installed
an alternative kernel that WOULD NOT BOOT. At least I
knew how to boot the previous kernel and then delete
KVM. The OP might not. Not everyone in these groups
is very experienced - that's why they post and maybe
can't even clearly describe their issue.

OTOH I've had KVM - alt kernel or not - work perfectly
well on other distros.

As for "user friendly" ... um ... no ..... VBox IS
generally better that way IMHO. Of course it kinda
depends on what The User WANTS out of it.

For an "industrial"/"pro" server I'd rec KVM. But for
the "hobbyist" I'd rec VBox. Both will deliver, but
with different difficulties in different circumstances.
Of course there's always VMWare ($$$) ......

Anyhow, for the OP, I'd rec VBox. I think it'll do
what he wants with minimal pain and maximum gain.

Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

<_JidnVh5TPo6UoL5nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12103&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12103

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: 27E.G756@noq24u.net (27E.G756)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 00:52:54 -0400
 by: 27E.G756 - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 04:52 UTC

On 3/25/23 7:30 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
> On 2023-03-24 21:27, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
>> I welcome and appreciate these comments, but am not sure I fully
>> understand
>> them yet:
>>
>> *+->
>> *+->  ?? 'dd' could do the copy too - but you have to be REALLY
>> *+->  ?? sure about the exact dest point on the hdd.
>>
>> *+-The procedure would be:
>>
>> *+- - Create a partition (empty) in that 10g empty space
>>
>> *+- - dd the iso into the partition
>>
>> *+-dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dev/sdXy bs=1MiB
>>
>> *+-Not sure it can be booted.
>
> If you don't understand this then I'm not going to explain. Too
> dangerous, sorry.
>
> Go the virtualbox route instead.

Absolutely agreed. Our 'tricks' can TRASH his
whole system if not done *perfectly* ... and
he doesn't seem to be extremely experienced
with -IX systems.

VBox WILL do what he desires - pretty easily and
cleanly and at no risk. His old disrto will even
gain some perks by "filtering through" the VBox
system.

Hmmm ... you'd THINK a live distro with all those
math/stat extras would have been perpetuated by
somebody. "Scientific Linux" might have been it,
but that seems to have fallen a bit by the
proverbial wayside (as with all the RPM universe
after the IBM/RHEL thing).

Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

<87r0tb1vqn.fsf@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12106&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12106

From: jeshgrca@gmail.com (jeshgrca)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 08:35:12 -0500
sha1:dDqgBpSmwdZ+3mNdWEjOZHz41fw=
 by: jeshgrca - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 13:35 UTC

"27E.G756" <27E.G756@noq24u.net> writes:

> On 3/25/23 7:30 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2023-03-24 21:27, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
>>> I welcome and appreciate these comments, but am not sure I fully
>>> understand
>>> them yet:
>>>
>>> *+->
>>> *+->  ?? 'dd' could do the copy too - but you have to be REALLY
>>> *+->  ?? sure about the exact dest point on the hdd.
>>>
>>> *+-The procedure would be:
>>>
>>> *+- - Create a partition (empty) in that 10g empty space
>>>
>>> *+- - dd the iso into the partition
>>>
>>> *+-dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dev/sdXy bs=1MiB
>>>
>>> *+-Not sure it can be booted.
>> If you don't understand this then I'm not going to explain. Too
>> dangerous, sorry.
>> Go the virtualbox route instead.
>
> Absolutely agreed. Our 'tricks' can TRASH his
> whole system if not done *perfectly* ... and
> he doesn't seem to be extremely experienced
> with -IX systems.
>
> VBox WILL do what he desires - pretty easily and
> cleanly and at no risk. His old disrto will even
> gain some perks by "filtering through" the VBox
> system.
>
> Hmmm ... you'd THINK a live distro with all those
> math/stat extras would have been perpetuated by
> somebody. "Scientific Linux" might have been it,
> but that seems to have fallen a bit by the
> proverbial wayside (as with all the RPM universe
> after the IBM/RHEL thing).

openSUSE is an RPM-based distro whose downstream (SLE) is officially
supported by IBM on their systems, and it works perfectly well for me...
--
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
- Attributed to Albert Einstein

Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

<tvpmno$2o5tm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12107&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12107

From: bliss@mouse-potato.com (Bobbie Sellers)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 08:01:12 -0700
 by: Bobbie Sellers - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 15:01 UTC

On 3/25/23 21:52, 27E.G756 wrote:
> On 3/25/23 7:30 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2023-03-24 21:27, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
>>> I welcome and appreciate these comments, but am not sure I fully
>>> understand
>>> them yet:
>>>
>>> *+->
>>> *+->  ?? 'dd' could do the copy too - but you have to be REALLY
>>> *+->  ?? sure about the exact dest point on the hdd.
>>>
>>> *+-The procedure would be:
>>>
>>> *+- - Create a partition (empty) in that 10g empty space
>>>
>>> *+- - dd the iso into the partition
>>>
>>> *+-dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dev/sdXy bs=1MiB
>>>
>>> *+-Not sure it can be booted.
>>
>> If you don't understand this then I'm not going to explain. Too
>> dangerous, sorry.
>>
>> Go the virtualbox route instead.
>
>   Absolutely agreed. Our 'tricks' can TRASH his
>   whole system if not done *perfectly* ... and
>   he doesn't seem to be extremely experienced
>   with -IX systems.
>
>   VBox WILL do what he desires - pretty easily and
>   cleanly and at no risk. His old disrto will even
>   gain some perks by "filtering through" the VBox
>   system.
>
>   Hmmm ... you'd THINK a live distro with all those
>   math/stat extras would have been perpetuated by
>   somebody. "Scientific Linux" might have been it,
>   but that seems to have fallen a bit by the
>   proverbial wayside (as with all the RPM universe
>   after the IBM/RHEL thing).

CAELinux 2020 with motto "Open Source Powered Engineering"

<https://www.caelinux.com/CMS3/index.php/download/62-caelinux-2020>

bliss

--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com

Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

<tvpql2$2ota3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12108&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12108

From: rich@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 16:08:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 16:08 UTC

27E.G756 <27E.G756@noq24u.net> wrote:
> On 3/25/23 7:30 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:
>> On 2023-03-24 21:27, vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote:
>>> I welcome and appreciate these comments, but am not sure I fully
>>> understand them yet:
>>>
>>> *+->
>>> *+->  ?? 'dd' could do the copy too - but you have to be REALLY
>>> *+->  ?? sure about the exact dest point on the hdd.
>>>
>>> *+-The procedure would be:
>>>
>>> *+- - Create a partition (empty) in that 10g empty space
>>>
>>> *+- - dd the iso into the partition
>>>
>>> *+-dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/dev/sdXy bs=1MiB
>>>
>>> *+-Not sure it can be booted.
>>
>> If you don't understand this then I'm not going to explain. Too
>> dangerous, sorry.
>>
>> Go the virtualbox route instead.
>
> Absolutely agreed. Our 'tricks' can TRASH his
> whole system if not done *perfectly*

Yup, and then the OP will just return with another vague posting.

> ... and he doesn't seem to be extremely experienced with -IX
> systems.

The OP very much reminds me of a poster who goes by a different handle
who posts in a different group where each post begins with a vague
statement of a chosen solution for a "problem" and asking for help with
transitioning their chosen solution to completion.

Of course, omitted is any detail of the initial problem that is trying
to be solved, as well is omitted any and all useful factual details of
system, setup, or environment.

Then, much like here, after 85+ posts, diverging in multiple different
directions, that other poster will finally be cajoled into revealing a
critical bit of the actual problem and/or a critical fact re. their
system, setup, or environment which shows that all 85+ posts, in seven
different directions, were all just wasted time, and had that poster
just mentioned the real problem they were trying to solve, the solution
could have been offered quickly, and on point.

I.e. (made up below, but this is the general idea), they will start by
indicating that on random days their computer will mysteriously
shutdown, and they have decided they have a flaky DIMM stick, and begin
by asking how to narrow down which DIMM sick, out of the eight they
have installed, is the culprit by using Linux log files and/or smm
query tools.

Then, 85+ messages later, on plural divergent topics on how to
accomplish this solution, it will finally be revealed, by that poster,
that their computer is plugged into an outlet on a circuit that also
powers a window AC unit and that also powers a plug in the bedroom
where their wife uses her hair dryer, and lo and behold, the random
shutdowns all correspond to days when both the AC unit is operational
and the wife also turns on her hair dryer at the same time, tripping
the circuit breaker into overload and shutting down power to the
circuit, and subsequently, the computer (and that they have no UPS for
the computer).

This OP's message style, engagement style, and utter lack of much
detail very much remind me of that poster from the other group. And
that poster has been accused of intentionally trolling more than a few
times due to their continual use of this seeming "hide the ball" tactic
in their initial posts.

Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

<0n96fjxe58.ln2@Telcontar.valinor>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12109&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12109

From: robin_listas@es.invalid (Carlos E.R.)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 18:50:08 +0200
 by: Carlos E.R. - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 16:50 UTC

On 2023-03-26 15:35, jeshgrca wrote:
> "27E.G756" <27E.G756@noq24u.net> writes:

>>> If you don't understand this then I'm not going to explain. Too
>>> dangerous, sorry.
>>> Go the virtualbox route instead.
>>
>> Absolutely agreed. Our 'tricks' can TRASH his
>> whole system if not done *perfectly* ... and
>> he doesn't seem to be extremely experienced
>> with -IX systems.
>>
>> VBox WILL do what he desires - pretty easily and
>> cleanly and at no risk. His old disrto will even
>> gain some perks by "filtering through" the VBox
>> system.
>>
>> Hmmm ... you'd THINK a live distro with all those
>> math/stat extras would have been perpetuated by
>> somebody. "Scientific Linux" might have been it,
>> but that seems to have fallen a bit by the
>> proverbial wayside (as with all the RPM universe
>> after the IBM/RHEL thing).
>>

> openSUSE is an RPM-based distro whose downstream (SLE) is officially
> supported by IBM on their systems, and it works perfectly well for me...

It is actually the other way round: SLE is upstream of openSUSE Leap.
openSUSE Leap and SLE are binary compatible. With extra packages, like
Plasma, coming directly from the community instead.

--
Cheers, Carlos.

Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

<87mt3z1gco.fsf@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12111&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12111

From: jeshgrca@gmail.com (jeshgrca)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 14:07:35 -0500
sha1:zrzEOmajjdwMFWCuVsWERMWbqYs=
 by: jeshgrca - Sun, 26 Mar 2023 19:07 UTC

"Carlos E.R." <robin_listas@es.invalid> writes:

> On 2023-03-26 15:35, jeshgrca wrote:

>>> Absolutely agreed. Our 'tricks' can TRASH his
>>> whole system if not done *perfectly* ... and
>>> he doesn't seem to be extremely experienced
>>> with -IX systems.
>>>
>>> VBox WILL do what he desires - pretty easily and
>>> cleanly and at no risk. His old disrto will even
>>> gain some perks by "filtering through" the VBox
>>> system.
>>>
>>> Hmmm ... you'd THINK a live distro with all those
>>> math/stat extras would have been perpetuated by
>>> somebody. "Scientific Linux" might have been it,
>>> but that seems to have fallen a bit by the
>>> proverbial wayside (as with all the RPM universe
>>> after the IBM/RHEL thing).
>>>
>> openSUSE is an RPM-based distro whose downstream (SLE) is
>> officially
>> supported by IBM on their systems, and it works perfectly well for me...
>
> It is actually the other way round: SLE is upstream of openSUSE
> Leap. openSUSE Leap and SLE are binary compatible. With extra
> packages, like Plasma, coming directly from the community instead.

I apologize for being unclear; I use Tumbleweed, not Leap. Tumbleweed,
from my understanding, is only downstream to Factory.
--
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
- Attributed to Albert Einstein

Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

<FO-dnY2AbtqZfb35nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12112&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12112

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: 27E.G756@noq24u.net (27E.G756)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 20:14:56 -0400
 by: 27E.G756 - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 00:14 UTC

On 3/26/23 12:08 PM, Rich wrote:
> 27E.G756 <27E.G756@noq24u.net> wrote:

>>> If you don't understand this then I'm not going to explain. Too
>>> dangerous, sorry.
>>>
>>> Go the virtualbox route instead.
>>
>> Absolutely agreed. Our 'tricks' can TRASH his
>> whole system if not done *perfectly*
>
> Yup, and then the OP will just return with another vague posting.
>
>> ... and he doesn't seem to be extremely experienced with -IX
>> systems.
>
> The OP very much reminds me of a poster who goes by a different handle
> who posts in a different group where each post begins with a vague
> statement of a chosen solution for a "problem" and asking for help with
> transitioning their chosen solution to completion.
>
> Of course, omitted is any detail of the initial problem that is trying
> to be solved, as well is omitted any and all useful factual details of
> system, setup, or environment.
>
> Then, much like here, after 85+ posts, diverging in multiple different
> directions, that other poster will finally be cajoled into revealing a
> critical bit of the actual problem and/or a critical fact re. their
> system, setup, or environment which shows that all 85+ posts, in seven
> different directions, were all just wasted time, and had that poster
> just mentioned the real problem they were trying to solve, the solution
> could have been offered quickly, and on point.
>
> I.e. (made up below, but this is the general idea), they will start by
> indicating that on random days their computer will mysteriously
> shutdown, and they have decided they have a flaky DIMM stick, and begin
> by asking how to narrow down which DIMM sick, out of the eight they
> have installed, is the culprit by using Linux log files and/or smm
> query tools.
>
> Then, 85+ messages later, on plural divergent topics on how to
> accomplish this solution, it will finally be revealed, by that poster,
> that their computer is plugged into an outlet on a circuit that also
> powers a window AC unit and that also powers a plug in the bedroom
> where their wife uses her hair dryer, and lo and behold, the random
> shutdowns all correspond to days when both the AC unit is operational
> and the wife also turns on her hair dryer at the same time, tripping
> the circuit breaker into overload and shutting down power to the
> circuit, and subsequently, the computer (and that they have no UPS for
> the computer).
>
> This OP's message style, engagement style, and utter lack of much
> detail very much remind me of that poster from the other group. And
> that poster has been accused of intentionally trolling more than a few
> times due to their continual use of this seeming "hide the ball" tactic
> in their initial posts.

Why do you assume a Vast Evil Plan ???

These groups aren't just for people with decades
of Unix/Linux under their belts - unless you want
to create a "comp.os.linux.misc.oldguysonly" group :-)

I think the OP is mostly a Winders guy who had an
old bootable enhanced Knoppix he liked and now wants
to make a permanent install. Alas he barely knows
what he's doing with Linux. A few of us will try
to steer him in the right direction - which, for
him, is gonna be VirtualBox.

Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

<tvqr81$2u8lq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12115&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12115

From: rich@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 01:24:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Rich - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 01:24 UTC

27E.G756 <27E.G756@noq24u.net> wrote:

> Why do you assume a Vast Evil Plan ???

Why do you put words in my mouth. I never said I assumed a Vast Evil
Plan. I did say that that other poster from that other group had been
accused of trolling (i.e., others in that group made such accusations).

> These groups aren't just for people with decades of Unix/Linux
> under their belts - unless you want to create a
> "comp.os.linux.misc.oldguysonly" group :-)

True. But when the initial question's vagueness approaches "it does
not work", time and again, there is a frustration that builds up from
trying to cajole basic information necessary to even begin to answer
the question. I.e., "what is 'it' and how exactly does 'it' not
work?".

> I think the OP is mostly a Winders guy who had an old bootable
> enhanced Knoppix he liked and now wants to make a permanent
> install. Alas he barely knows what he's doing with Linux. A few
> of us will try to steer him in the right direction - which, for
> him, is gonna be VirtualBox.

Yes, for what he appears to be attempting, under the reasonable
assumption that he is just a windows guy with almost no experience
installing anything anywhere, VirtualBox is indeed his best bet.

As well, with each post, the /similarity/ to that other poster increses
by some marginal amount.

Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

<CvmdnTWobedFk7z5nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12118&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12118

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: 27E.G756@noq24u.net (27E.G756)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2023 23:34:32 -0400
 by: 27E.G756 - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 03:34 UTC

On 3/26/23 9:24 PM, Rich wrote:
> 27E.G756 <27E.G756@noq24u.net> wrote:
>>
>> Why do you assume a Vast Evil Plan ???
>
> Why do you put words in my mouth.

You were the one with all the words - a detailed
lay-out of the supposed Evil Scheme.

I think we're just dealing with a relatively clueless
Winders guy fooling around with Linux. He's "vague"
because HE DOESN'T KNOW.

So, we'll TELL him - best as possible.

I think we've offered enough options by now, so if
he posts basically the same thing again I won't
bother answering.

Re: Distro tries to set up own partition

<tvrerq$341dv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=12119&group=comp.os.linux.misc#12119

From: rich@example.invalid (Rich)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 06:59:06 -0000 (UTC)
References: <tviblo$t6a$1@reader2.panix.com> <tvieb7$1a3vm$1@dont-email.me> <zfudnWcr3L1qnYD5nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@earthlink.com> <0v00fjxalp.ln2@Telcontar.valinor> <tvl13e$gm4$2@reader2.panix.com> <1j23fjx089.ln2@Telcontar.valinor> <_JidnVh5TPo6UoL5nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@earthlink.com> <tvpql2$2ota3$1@dont-email.me> <FO-dnY2AbtqZfb35nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@earthlink.com> <tvqr81$2u8lq$1@dont-email.me> <CvmdnTWobedFk7z5nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@earthlink.com>
 by: Rich - Mon, 27 Mar 2023 06:59 UTC

27E.G756 <27E.G756@noq24u.net> wrote:
> On 3/26/23 9:24 PM, Rich wrote:
>> 27E.G756 <27E.G756@noq24u.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Why do you assume a Vast Evil Plan ???
>>
>> Why do you put words in my mouth.
>
> You were the one with all the words - a detailed
> lay-out of the supposed Evil Scheme.

Nope, you imagined an "Evil Scheme" all on your own.

I merely described the similarity of OP to another poster, and then
pointed out that the other poster had been accused of trolling. Any
imaginary "Evil Scheme" was all in your head.

> I think we're just dealing with a relatively clueless Winders guy
> fooling around with Linux. He's "vague" because HE DOESN'T KNOW.

Giving him benefit of the doubt, yes, this is currently the most likely
possibility.

> I think we've offered enough options by now, so if he posts
> basically the same thing again I won't bother answering.

We shall see if something similar gets posted in a few days.

computers / comp.os.linux.misc / Re: Distro tries to set up own partition