"Everyone is entitled to an *informed* opinion." -- Harlan Ellison

computers / comp.os.linux.advocacy / Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bug

SubjectAuthor
* Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bugDFS
+* Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bJoel
|`* Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bDFS
| `* Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bJoel
|  +* Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel b%
|  |`* Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bJoel
|  | `* Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bDFS
|  |  +- Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bJoel
|  |  `* Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bRabidPedagog
|  |   `* Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bJoel
|  |    `* Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bpothead
|  |     +- Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bJoel
|  |     `* Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bRabidPedagog
|  |      `- Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bJoel
|  `* Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bDFS
|   `- Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bJoel
`* Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bRabidPedagog
 +* Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bOtto Schönhausen
 |+- Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bJoel
 |`* Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bRabidPedagog
 | `- Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bJoel
 `* Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bchrisv
  `* Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bRabidPedagog
   `* Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel brbowman
    `* Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bRabidPedagog
     `- Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bDFS

Pages:12
Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered a kernel bug

<yI1AN.89594$GX69.32547@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=10331&group=comp.os.linux.advocacy#10331

From: nospam@dfs.com (DFS)
Subject: Re: Only in Linux lala land: "misgendering" someone may be considered
a kernel bug
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2024 07:33:36 -0500
 by: DFS - Sat, 17 Feb 2024 12:33 UTC

On 2/16/2024 9:47 PM, RabidPedagog wrote:
> On 2024-02-16 7:48 p.m., rbowman wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Feb 2024 16:57:08 -0500, RabidPedagog wrote:
>>

>>> Here's them banning the word "blacklist:"
>>> <https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-team-approves-new-terminology-bans-
>> terms-like-blacklist-and-slave/>
>>
>> I don't have a link but there was a problem with master and slave too. I
>> refer to a database and its replica as parent and child. So far that
>> hasn't triggered anyone.
>
> The sensitivity these people exhibit is so sad that it feels as though
> they are allergic to humour too. The world these people want to build
> for us is one where every word and every gesture is open to scrutiny and
> where absolute silence is the only defense against severe consequences.
> If this is what the world wants then it is clearly very sick.

A bit of a repost, but pertinent:

At the Los Alamos National Laboratory, science now takes a back seat to
the really important stuff:

* how many non-White non-binary people work there (they call them URMs
and OPCs)?

* are the correct 'gender pronouns' used at all times?

* is everyone protected from microaggressions?

https://www.lanl.gov/careers/diversity-inclusion/index.php?source=globalheadernav

Employees are encouraged to divide themselves into Employee Resource Groups.

https://www.lanl.gov/careers/diversity-inclusion/erg/index.php

Members of the Active Bystander ERG monitor every word you say and
write, looking for instances of "incivility, disrespect, and
microaggressions".

The LGBTQ+ ERG holds a monthly meeting on how to be an ally to your
trans colleagues.

The Atomic Women ERG held meetings on "Pronouns 101 – how to use them
and why it matters." and a "Talk on Diversity Inclusion Efforts at LANL".

It IS a very sick world out there in some cases.