From: retroguy@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Ping SugarBug (rslight stuff)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 14:29:23 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 21:29 UTC

Am I correct that both issues today (14 Feb, 2024) have been resolved?

I don't want to ignore one if it's still an issue.

Re: Ping SugarBug (rslight stuff)

<uqjh7c$3vikd$1@novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=980&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#980

From: 3883@sugar.bug (SugarBug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Re: Ping SugarBug (rslight stuff)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 23:09:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: SugarBug - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 23:09 UTC

On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 14:29:23 -0700
Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.org> wrote:

> Am I correct that both issues today (14 Feb, 2024) have been resolved?
>
> I don't want to ignore one if it's still an issue.

Yes. Both are solved.

The problem with registration captcha was that without running cron after setup, captcha is not initialized. So on a fresh install it seems the cron must be run for the first time before the registration captcha will work. Basically I jumped the gun to test the registration before the cron had been run for the first time.

The problem with phpmailer was caused by exim config rejecting the fake, unrouteable address created by the config. My panel updated my exim config so that only a routeable address can be used (no 'no-reply' or other fake addresses that don't actually have a mailbox). This requires the use of only routable address data in the 'from' section in phpmailer.inc.php. Once I changed the config to construct a routeable address the registration mailer works fine.

Funny thing is, if I use null values in the phpmailer.inc.php file, exim will accept an emtpy address for outgoing mail. But exim will not accept a fake address. Also, when phpmailer gives the php exception, it is very cryptic and seems to have no relationship to the chat with the mail server. Thus I was looking for errors everywhere except the exim logs, ready to pull patches of beard out.

--
SugarBug <3883@sugar.bug>

Re: Ping SugarBug (rslight stuff)

<4e6b7f835ed6b574aeaa1af0bfb7ccbd@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=982&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#982

From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 23:30:53 +0000
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 23:30 UTC

SugarBug wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 14:29:23 -0700
> Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.org> wrote:

>> Am I correct that both issues today (14 Feb, 2024) have been resolved?
>>
>> I don't want to ignore one if it's still an issue.

> Yes. Both are solved.

> The problem with registration captcha was that without running cron after setup, captcha is not initialized. So on a fresh install it seems the cron must be run for the first time before the registration captcha will work. Basically I jumped the gun to test the registration before the cron had been run for the first time.

At first I didn't understand why that would happen, but I think I do now.

The directory where the captcha is temporarily stored does not exist until it is created in cron.php. Makes sense now :)

--
Retro Guy