Scientists are people who build the Brooklyn Bridge and then buy it. -- William Buckley

devel / comp.infosystems.gemini / Small web protocols / alternative protocols

SubjectAuthor
* Small web protocols / alternative protocolsnews
+* Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsArkholt
|+* Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsyeti
||+* Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsnews
|||`* Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsgaussianblue
||| +- Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsyeti
||| `- Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsyeti
||`* Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsComputer Nerd Kev
|| `* Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsyeti
||  +- Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsoldernow
||  `- Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsyeti
|+* Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsChris Narkiewicz
||`* Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsD
|| +* Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsoldernow
|| |+- Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsD
|| |`* Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsChris Narkiewicz
|| | `- Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsoldernow
|| `* Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsnews
||  `* Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsD
||   +* Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsStefan Claas
||   |`- Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsD
||   `- Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsnews
|`* Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsnews
| `* Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsyeti
|  +- Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsyeti
|  `- Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsyeti
`- Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocolsyeti

Pages:12
Small web protocols / alternative protocols

<1710522724.bystand@zzo38computer.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=547&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#547

From: news@zzo38computer.org.invalid
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Subject: Small web protocols / alternative protocols
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 16:47:13 -0700
 by: news@zzo38computer.org.invalid - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 23:47 UTC

Here is a list of some other protocols and file formats. It is like the
"SMALL INTERNET PROTOCOL ROUNDUP" document posted to the mailing list for
Gemini previously, but with many differences.

This document is public domain. You are free to copy this document and to
make changes, e.g. to add things which are missing, change things that are
incorrect, make your own comments about any parts of it, etc.

**** Gopher
Specification: RFC 1436
Scheme: gopher
Port number: 70
File format: Gopher menu, Plain text
TLS: None (but see below)
Request encoding: ASCII
Client implementations: (many)
Server implementations: (many)

The old one. It uses a menu format, which lacks any support for relative
links; only absolute links are possible. It also does not use MIME types;
you have to use a fixed set of item types, some of which are uncommon, but
some new ones have been added since the original specification (such as "i"
for text lines that do not link to anything).

It also does not use URLs; to link to something that is not one of the
Gopher item types, usually a HTML link (type "h") is used with the target
selector string that starts with "URL:" and then the client should
recognize that as a URL link (if the client does not recognize it, the
server should serve a HTML page that links and redirects to the specified
URL, but some servers don't do that).

The Gopher protocol lacks any kind of response headers, so you cannot
specify a "file not found" error or anything else like that. The file
type must be known by the client ahead of time, usually by the item type
specified in the menu.)

Gopher has the "+" item type for an alternate service link (e.g. mirrors
and load balancing), although I read somewhere that it does not seem to
be used by any server nor by any client, as far as I know.

Gopher and Gopher+ are the only protocols in this list that do not
support virtual hosting.

**** Gopher+
Specification: gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/0/gopher/tech/gopherplus.txt
Scheme: gopher
Port number: 70
File format: Gopher menu, Plain text
TLS: None
Request encoding: ASCII
Client implementations: (not widely implemented)
Server implementations: (not widely implemented)

Adds several features to Gopher, such as:

- Response header (either the length of the file, a code to specify that
the length is unspecified (as in the original Gopher) or an error code).
(It still does not specify the file type.)

- Both temporary and permanent errors, and redirects.

- Item attributes, such as modification date, email address of owner of
file, abstract text, list of MIME types which it is available in (together
with file sizes), languages, geographic coordinates, time zone, etc.

- Forms.

**** Gopher with TLS
Specification: (?)
Scheme: gophers
Port number: 70
File format: Gopher menu, Plain text
TLS: Yes
Request encoding: ASCII
Client implementations: hurl
Server implementations: (?)

Use of Gopher protocol with TLS. I think that it isn't very good, because
Gopher does not have relative links, and the menu format of Gopher does
not allow to specify the use of TLS or not, making it difficult to know if
you should use TLS with a specific server.

(Presumably, virtual hosting is possible by the use of SNI.)

**** Gemini
Specification: gemini://geminiprotocol.net/docs/specification.gmi
Scheme: gemini
Port number: 1965
File format: Gemini
TLS: Mandatory
Request encoding: UTF-8
Client implementations: (many)
Server implementations: (many)

A protocol and file format which has been worked on for a while, and some
minor changes to specifications have been made. (There have also been many
suggestions, most of which have been rejected. Scorpion (see below) does
some of the things that were suggested, but deliberately not all of them;
most of them have been rejected for Scorpion as well. If you merely want
non-TLS, you might also consider Spartan.)

The file format is limited: only normal paragraphs, block quotes, list
items (nesting is not possible), preformatted blocks, and links. The MIME
type specifies the character encoding (it recommends use of UTF-8, but
allows any character encoding, as long as it is consistent within one
file) and the language that it is written in (although mixed languages in
one file is not implemented).

Some Gemini files have SGR codes, which are not a part of the
specification. Some clients implement SGR codes, but some don't.

There is a response status line, which specifies a temporary or permanent
error and the specific error, or can be an input request (meaning that the
client must repeat the request with a user-specified query string), or a
redirect, or specifying requiring a client certificate.

The response header can specify the MIME type of the file, but the file
size is not specified.

It recommends use of TOFU (rather than certificate authorities) to verify
server certificates.

**** Mercury
Specification: gemini://gemini.circumlunar.space/users/solderpunk/gemlog/the-mercury-protocol.gmi
Scheme: mercury
Port number: (Unspecified)
File format: Links and plain text only
TLS: None
Request encoding: UTF-8 (?)
Client implementations: (?)
Server implementations: (?)

The specification is incomplete, but it is intended to be like Gemini but
simpler. The only character encoding is UTF-8, most status codes are
removed, and the language code used in Gemini is also removed.

**** Spartan
Specification: gemini://spartan.mozz.us
Scheme: spartan
Port number: 300
File format: Gemini
TLS: None
Request encoding: ASCII
Client implementations: spartan_client.py
Server implementations: spartan_server.py

A protocol similar than Gemini, but without TLS, and has some other
differences as well. The number of status codes is much less.

The file format is the same as Gemini but with an additional link type
added for a link requesting input (similar than Gopher item type "7",
but different in some ways). (However, the same MIME type is used.)

The request is the host name and the file path, and the upload size
(zero if no upload). There is no way to distinguish the query string
from upload data, and no way to distinguish a GET request from an empty
upload. Although the user name and password are allowed in the URL, there
is no way to use the user name and password (why?).

**** Titan
Specification: (?)
Scheme: titan
Port number: 1965
File format: (N/A)
TLS: Mandatory
Request encoding: UTF-8
Client implementations: Lagrange
Server implementations: (?)

An upload protocol for use with Gemini. The security token, file size,
and MIME type are added on the end of the URL.

**** Scorpion
Specification: scorpion://zzo38computer.org/specification.txt
Scheme: scorpion, scorpions
Port number: 1517
File format: Scorpion
TLS: Optional
Request encoding: ASCII
Client implementations: astroget
Server implementations: scorpiond

Another protocol and file format. The protocol is similar than Gemini
in some ways, but there is a request method, although not request headers.

Scorpion has most status codes of Gemini, but omits the 11 status code,
and changes some of them (e.g. 20 now specifies the file size (which is
optional; you can use ? if it is unknown) as well as the MIME type, and
can optionally use ULFI instead of MIME). There are also some additional
features such as range requests, uploads, etc. The username and password
in the URL are allowed, unlike Gemini (client certificates are also
possible, if you are using TLS).

Scorpion has its own file format, which is a binary format, although some
of its features are vaguely like Gemini (others are different; e.g. mixed
character encodings are possible within one file, unlike Gemini). Like
Spartan and Gopher, there is a link type for requesting input from the
user, although the 10 status code from Gemini is also available.

The specification document also defines some X.509 extensions, which can be
used with other protocols as well. The "hashed:" scheme is also defined in
this document, which is also independent of the protocol.

**** Text
Specification: https://textprotocol.org/
Scheme: text
Port number: 1961 (plain), 1965 (TLS), 1968 (Noise)
File format: Plain text, with links as in Gemini
TLS: Optional
Request encoding: UTF-8 (NFC)
Client implementations: PUBLIC
Server implementations: PUBLICTEXT

Seems to use a similar file format than Mercury. There is only three
status codes (OK, redirect, and error) and there is no input requests.
It seems to use DNS Service Discovery though, and it supports Noise as
well as TLS, although all of the encryption types seem to use the same
scheme ("text"), so you cannot distinguish them by the scheme. The
specification also says that C escape codes can be used.

Note that the port number with TLS is the same as the port number of
Gemini. This is mostly not a problem; the only problem that I can see
with this is that the error code 40 means a temporary error in Gemini
but means any error in Text Protocol, which can potentially cause a
problem when it is treated as a Gemini-based proxy server.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocols

<ut3h6r$2pgob$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=549&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#549

From: arkholt@gmail.com (Arkholt)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Subject: Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocols
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 07:19:55 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:mAGvvLrToLIzEWYKs2CNQAmLZYA=
 by: Arkholt - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 07:19 UTC

<874jd6y0dr.fsf@tilde.institute>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=550&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#550

From: yeti@tilde.institute (yeti)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 10:28:56 +0042
5-s.cF/5tMdha-:]4eBHC9vBXnz4_aNe@d4oijVyix?>pC=tzuQhoD2A8P02+\xO4gNfRBE
`B<kE3T-Gps_d0_6`+0W3E9{D
 by: yeti - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 09:46 UTC

Arkholt <arkholt@gmail.com> writes:

> I would recommend adding Nex (Nightfall Express) to the list:
> https://nightfall.city/nex/info/

And Guppy.
https://github.com/dimkr/guppy-protocol

Aaaand...

Would a transport oldtimer without forced marriage to a markup type
count too? Then I suggest adding FSP (like of FTP over UDP) to the
list. Elinks supports FSP URLs, but apart one local server I
occasionally use to test Elinks against I don't even know/use others.

It would be nice to change this, even if only for nostalgic reasons.

FSP had a history for file transfers, but Gemini and HTML over FSP
works, probably other stuff will too as long as the browser supports the
format.

FSP's home
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fsp

Wikipedia: File Service Protocol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Service_Protocol

File Service Protocol (FSP) Frequently Asked Questions (1of2)
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/fsp-faq/part1

File Service Protocol (FSP) Frequently Asked Questions (2of2)
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/fsp-faq/part2

Newsgroup alt.comp.fsp exists, but that's all to say about it currently.

--
I do not bite, I just want to play.

Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocols

<87jzm26ixq.fsf@ross154.client.etacassiopeiae.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=551&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#551

From: hello@ezaquarii.com (Chris Narkiewicz)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 20:05:53 +0000
sha1:Oky2DJPW6u55h3LJUQ4xN8A2Ro4=
 by: Chris Narkiewicz - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 20:05 UTC

Apart from Gemini, is any of those protocols actually in any use outside
epsilon proximity to zero?

Gemini is fun, but I'm under impression that we observe a proliferation
of dead protocols.

Best regards,
Chris Narkiewicz

Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocols

<baf41084-dd28-5bdf-6d2a-2dd0d23febf2@example.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=552&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#552

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 21:55:29 +0100
 by: D - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 20:55 UTC

On Sat, 16 Mar 2024, Chris Narkiewicz wrote:

> Apart from Gemini, is any of those protocols actually in any use outside
> epsilon proximity to zero?
>
> Gemini is fun, but I'm under impression that we observe a proliferation
> of dead protocols.
>
> Best regards,
> Chris Narkiewicz

I don't know the definition of small web protocols, but my greatest hits
that I still use is imap/smtp, nntp and very rarely irc.

I'd love to shift over to gopher, but there's not a lot of stuff I cannot
get in other places there, so it mostly seems a place for long form random
blog posts.

Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocols

<1710621539.bystand@zzo38computer.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=555&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#555

From: news@zzo38computer.org.invalid
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 14:08:48 -0700
 by: news@zzo38computer.org.invalid - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 21:08 UTC

Arkholt <arkholt@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would recommend adding Nex (Nightfall Express) to the list:
> https://nightfall.city/nex/info/

I did intend to add Nex, but I was unable to find the information, so
thank you for providing the link. I was unaware that "Nex" is short for
"Nightfall Express", so now I know.

Perhaps I will make a copy of this document elsewhere and then I
can add these changes together with any other suggested changes.
(Other people can then also mirror it if wanted.) (I did not do that
yet, but I intend to do so later today.)

I also added it to astroget, now. (That was easy. You are free to
complain in case you think I implemented it wrong, though.)

--
Don't laugh at the moon when it is day time in France.

Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocols

<slrnuvc4lj.rje.oldernow@oldernow.jethrick.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=556&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#556

From: oldernow@dev.null (oldernow)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 21:44:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: oldernow - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 21:44 UTC

On 2024-03-16, D <nospam@example.net> wrote:

> I'd love to shift over to gopher, but there's not a lot
> of stuff I cannot get in other places there, so it mostly
> seems a place for long form random blog posts.

I still seem find more long form writing of interest in phlogs than
gemlogs. I imagine that's for it being so much more well established?

--
oldernow
xyz001 at nym.hush.com

Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocols

<1710631200.bystand@zzo38computer.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=557&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#557

From: news@zzo38computer.org.invalid
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 16:29:08 -0700
 by: news@zzo38computer.org.invalid - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 23:29 UTC

yeti <yeti@tilde.institute> wrote:
> Arkholt <arkholt@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I would recommend adding Nex (Nightfall Express) to the list:
> > https://nightfall.city/nex/info/
>
> And Guppy.
> https://github.com/dimkr/guppy-protocol

OK, I added it too, now.

> Would a transport oldtimer without forced marriage to a markup type
> count too? Then I suggest adding FSP (like of FTP over UDP) to the
> list. Elinks supports FSP URLs, but apart one local server I
> occasionally use to test Elinks against I don't even know/use others.

It is unclear to me if it should be or not, but I added it anyways.

The new version of the list is at:
scorpion://zzo38computer.org/smallweb.txt
(Use port 1517. Send R and then a space and then the full URL and then
CRLF. Discard the first line of the response.)

I made some other changes too, including adding simple explanations for
some of the protocols (this is not the full specifications, but is a simple
explanation which may be good enough to access a few files).

I may continue to update this as appropriate. Other people are free to make
their own mirrors, with or without changes (including corrections of
anything that is wrong with it), and I will add it to the list of mirrors
at the bottom of the document (and then that may also be added to the list
of mirrors at the bottom of other versions of that document, too).

Additional commentary may also be added (anyone who has something to write,
should do so).

--
Don't laugh at the moon when it is day time in France.

Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocols

<65f64101@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=558&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#558

From: not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: 17 Mar 2024 11:01:53 +1000
 by: Computer Nerd Kev - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 01:01 UTC

yeti <yeti@tilde.institute> wrote:

> Would a transport oldtimer without forced marriage to a markup type
> count too? Then I suggest adding FSP (like of FTP over UDP) to the
> list.

What about FTP itself? I love a good anonymous FTP site, especially
instead of trying to recursively download parts of a website
without programs accidentally attempting to download the entire
internet. There's also FTPS for encryption-obsessives.

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocols

<1710635809.bystand@zzo38computer.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=559&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#559

From: news@zzo38computer.org.invalid
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 18:37:02 -0700
 by: news@zzo38computer.org.invalid - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 01:37 UTC

D <nospam@example.net> wrote:
> I don't know the definition of small web protocols, but my greatest hits
> that I still use is imap/smtp, nntp and very rarely irc.

I don't really know what is the definition either (I just guessed when I
was making a list).

I commonly use SMTP, NNTP, and IRC. (I run my own mail server, so I do not
need IMAP.) I am also on ifMUD, which I use a plain TCP connection with
line mode.

(I have also used plain TCP connection when playing a RPG over internet
with only one player and the GM, using nc, ts, and tee, to make the
connection and to make log files.)

I do not commonly use FTP, but have occasionally done sometimes.

> I'd love to shift over to gopher, but there's not a lot of stuff I cannot
> get in other places there, so it mostly seems a place for long form random
> blog posts.

It is also possible to post a file on multiple services, if this is
desirable, although there are a few considerations of doing this, too.
(It would work best for plain ASCII text files, probably)

But, if you prefer to post your files on only gopher, then I think that
also works; you can easily link between them anyways (although in Gopher
you must use the "hURL" trick because it doesn't have a "proper" way to
do it), and many Gemini clients also implement Gopher too.

--
Don't laugh at the moon when it is day time in France.

Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocols

<87il1lwo8v.fsf@tilde.institute>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=560&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#560

From: yeti@tilde.institute (yeti)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 03:48:40 +0042
5-s.cF/5tMdha-:]4eBHC9vBXnz4_aNe@d4oijVyix?>pC=tzuQhoD2A8P02+\xO4gNfRBE
`B<kE3T-Gps_d0_6`+0W3E9{D
 by: yeti - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 03:06 UTC

not@telling.you.invalid (Computer Nerd Kev) writes:

> What about FTP itself? I love a good anonymous FTP site, especially
> instead of trying to recursively download parts of a website
> without programs accidentally attempting to download the entire
> internet. There's also FTPS for encryption-obsessives.

Good old not broken browsers supported FTP and we did not think much
about occasionally finding html being addressed via FTP URLs in the
young web. FTP just was there, people knew to use it and lots already
had some FTP space via work and/or the university long before they got
"webspace".

I'd add it for nostalgia.

A FTP server is simple enough to be written (good enough, not feature
complete) in some hands full of code in e.g. Lua to get a FTP server on
a NodeMCU board. I haven't tried it in MicroPython, but I wouldn't be
surprised if someone did it.

I'm not especially a Smolnet fan I just want back the diversity of the
old internet days. Mono-cultures kill evolution.

--
I do not bite, I just want to play.

Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocols

<l5npffF6d9pU1@mid.dfncis.de>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=561&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#561

From: gaussianblue@asymptote.invalid (gaussianblue)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: 17 Mar 2024 08:55:11 GMT
 by: gaussianblue - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 08:55 UTC

news@zzo38computer.org.invalid writes:

----snip

>I may continue to update this as appropriate. Other people are free to make
>their own mirrors, with or without changes (including corrections of
>anything that is wrong with it), and I will add it to the list of mirrors
>at the bottom of the document (and then that may also be added to the list
>of mirrors at the bottom of other versions of that document, too).

For a program that automatically mirrors a static file I can think of
retroshare. Is there any program or protocol for automatically mirroring
something dynamic like this small web protocol list, a source code tree?

>Additional commentary may also be added (anyone who has something to write,
>should do so).

Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocols

<a570b657-ba42-cfc3-9761-556438f765f7@example.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=562&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#562

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 10:42:50 +0100
 by: D - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 09:42 UTC

On Sat, 16 Mar 2024, oldernow wrote:

> On 2024-03-16, D <nospam@example.net> wrote:
>
>> I'd love to shift over to gopher, but there's not a lot
>> of stuff I cannot get in other places there, so it mostly
>> seems a place for long form random blog posts.
>
> I still seem find more long form writing of interest in phlogs than
> gemlogs. I imagine that's for it being so much more well established?

Probably. I also think some high profile programmers left gemini (or
stopped publishing there) and that might have been the cause for more
leaving.

Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocols

<eb544742-8be9-eeab-8793-1c3eead680ba@example.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=563&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#563

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 10:44:57 +0100
 by: D - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 09:44 UTC

On Sat, 16 Mar 2024, news@zzo38computer.org.invalid wrote:

> D <nospam@example.net> wrote:
>> I don't know the definition of small web protocols, but my greatest hits
>> that I still use is imap/smtp, nntp and very rarely irc.
>
> I don't really know what is the definition either (I just guessed when I
> was making a list).
>
> I commonly use SMTP, NNTP, and IRC. (I run my own mail server, so I do not
> need IMAP.) I am also on ifMUD, which I use a plain TCP connection with
> line mode.
>
> (I have also used plain TCP connection when playing a RPG over internet
> with only one player and the GM, using nc, ts, and tee, to make the
> connection and to make log files.)
>
> I do not commonly use FTP, but have occasionally done sometimes.
>
>> I'd love to shift over to gopher, but there's not a lot of stuff I cannot
>> get in other places there, so it mostly seems a place for long form random
>> blog posts.
>
> It is also possible to post a file on multiple services, if this is
> desirable, although there are a few considerations of doing this, too.
> (It would work best for plain ASCII text files, probably)
>
> But, if you prefer to post your files on only gopher, then I think that
> also works; you can easily link between them anyways (although in Gopher
> you must use the "hURL" trick because it doesn't have a "proper" way to
> do it), and many Gemini clients also implement Gopher too.

I like the idea of seeing goher and gemini as complements and not
competitors. Is gemini backwards compatible with gopher by design, or is
the idea to "pull away" from gopher eventually?

Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocols

<87edc9q6km.fsf@ross154.client.etacassiopeiae.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=564&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#564

From: hello@ezaquarii.com (Chris Narkiewicz)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 14:24:57 +0000
sha1:/LYS/Op9WsXXNevZ5I4agucDlGM=
 by: Chris Narkiewicz - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 14:24 UTC

> I still seem find more long form writing of interest in phlog

What is phlog?

Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocols

<slrnuvdvia.rje.oldernow@oldernow.jethrick.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=565&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#565

From: oldernow@dev.null (oldernow)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 14:29:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: oldernow - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 14:29 UTC

On 2024-03-17, Chris Narkiewicz <hello@ezaquarii.com> wrote:

> What is phlog?

I'm pretty sure it's derived from (go)ph(er)log.

--
oldernow
xyz001 at nym.hush.com

Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocols

<ut71m0$26cak$1@i2pn2.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=566&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#566

From: pollux@tilde.club (Stefan Claas)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 16:19:28 +0100
 by: Stefan Claas - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 15:19 UTC

D wrote:

> I like the idea of seeing goher and gemini as complements and not
> competitors. Is gemini backwards compatible with gopher by design, or
> is the idea to "pull away" from gopher eventually?

Most Gemini clients, I assume, support the Gopher protocol, at least
the ones I use. So you can visit a gopher://URL from within a Gemini
client.

--
stefan

Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocols

<slrnuve5m5.rje.oldernow@oldernow.jethrick.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=567&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#567

From: oldernow@dev.null (oldernow)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 16:13:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: oldernow - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 16:13 UTC

On 2024-03-17, yeti <yeti@tilde.institute> wrote:

> I'm not especially a Smolnet fan I just want back the
> diversity of the old internet days. Mono-cultures kill
> evolution.

I like reading good writing on topics interesting to me that
lead to degrees of interaction. The protocol delivering such
seems irrelevant by comparison.

--
oldernow
xyz001 at nym.hush.com

Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocols

<56d5d13d-a38f-7cd7-b3c5-e951fe83d46b@example.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=568&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#568

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 18:24:23 +0100
 by: D - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 17:24 UTC

On Sun, 17 Mar 2024, Stefan Claas wrote:

> D wrote:
>
>> I like the idea of seeing goher and gemini as complements and not
>> competitors. Is gemini backwards compatible with gopher by design, or
>> is the idea to "pull away" from gopher eventually?
>
> Most Gemini clients, I assume, support the Gopher protocol, at least
> the ones I use. So you can visit a gopher://URL from within a Gemini
> client.
>
> --
> stefan

Good to hear!

Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocols

<87bk7cwwvr.fsf@tilde.institute>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=569&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#569

From: yeti@tilde.institute (yeti)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 18:54:24 +0042
 by: yeti - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 18:12 UTC

gaussianblue <gaussianblue@asymptote.invalid> writes:

> For a program that automatically mirrors a static file I can think of
> retroshare.

Never heared... *searching*

http://retroshare.cc/index.html

....aaaah... THAT one... probably a huge hammer for a tiny nail.

How about a no-blingbling route instead.

> Is there any program or protocol for automatically mirroring something
> dynamic like this small web protocol list,

NNTP?

There is comp.protocols.misc and it is in stasis. The text probably
would fit in there and maybe comp.protocols.misc would be a good place
to discuss the protocols that have no own newsgroup.

For the rest of the non-NNTP world a list of mirrors using a variety of
protocols may be good enough, hey would stumble over it via some *logs
in their preferred protocol dimension.

> a source code tree?

Some send diffs/patches via CVS or Git via mailinglists or plain email.

IMO additionally posting the diffs is not a bad idea in this context
too.

--
I do not bite, I just want to play.

Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocols

<1710714649.bystand@zzo38computer.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=570&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#570

From: news@zzo38computer.org.invalid
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 15:42:13 -0700
 by: news@zzo38computer.org.invalid - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 22:42 UTC

D <nospam@example.net> wrote:
> I like the idea of seeing goher and gemini as complements and not
> competitors. Is gemini backwards compatible with gopher by design, or is
> the idea to "pull away" from gopher eventually?

Gemini is a different protocol and not compatible with Gopher, although it
is possible for a browser to implement both protocols, and many do. They
are not mutually exclusive.

--
Don't laugh at the moon when it is day time in France.

Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocols

<874jd3x20j.fsf@tilde.institute>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=571&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#571

From: yeti@tilde.institute (yeti)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Supersedes: <87bk7cwwvr.fsf@tilde.institute>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 11:15:48 +0042
 by: yeti - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 10:33 UTC

gaussianblue <gaussianblue@asymptote.invalid> writes:

> For a program that automatically mirrors a static file I can think of
> retroshare.

Never heared... *searching*

http://retroshare.cc/index.html

....aaaah... THAT one... probably a huge hammer for a tiny nail.

How about a no-blingbling route instead.

> Is there any program or protocol for automatically mirroring something
> dynamic like this small web protocol list,

NNTP?

There is comp.protocols.misc and it is in stasis. The text probably
would fit in there and maybe comp.protocols.misc would be a good place
to discuss the protocols that have no own newsgroup.

For the rest of the non-NNTP world a list of mirrors using a variety of
protocols may be good enough, they would stumble over it via some *logs
in their preferred protocol dimension.

> a source code tree?

Some send diffs/patches via CVS or Git via mailinglists or plain email.

IMO additionally posting the diffs is not a bad idea in this context
too.

--
I do not bite, I just want to play.

Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocols

<87h6gtepp8.fsf@tilde.institute>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=575&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#575

From: yeti@tilde.institute (yeti)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 02:21:47 +0042
 by: yeti - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 01:39 UTC

news@zzo38computer.org.invalid writes:

> I did intend to add Nex, but I was unable to find the information, so
> thank you for providing the link. I was unaware that "Nex" is short
> for "Nightfall Express", so now I know.

Apropos information...

Port 1915(TCP) is used for uploads. Information is sparse.

http://portal.mozz.us/nex/nex.nightfall.city/classifieds/
http://portal.mozz.us/nex/nex.nightfall.city/classifieds/2024-03-26-021928.txt

Am I terribly under-caffeïnated did the spec really not mention that?

--
I do not bite, I just want to play.

Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocols

<87cyrhepll.fsf@tilde.institute>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=576&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#576

From: yeti@tilde.institute (yeti)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 02:23:58 +0042
5-s.cF/5tMdha-:]4eBHC9vBXnz4_aNe@d4oijVyix?>pC=tzuQhoD2A8P02+\xO4gNfRBE
`B<kE3T-Gps_d0_6`+0W3E9{D
 by: yeti - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 01:41 UTC

What about moving this not pure gemini discussion one level up to
comp.infosystems or even comp.protocols.misc?

--
I do not bite, I just want to play.

Re: Small web protocols / alternative protocols

<878r25e9r3.fsf@tilde.institute>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=577&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#577

From: yeti@tilde.institute (yeti)