From: jsevans@mailfence.com (Jason Evans)
Subject: Containerized Server - Molly Brown
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 12:17:33 GMT
 by: Jason Evans - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 12:17 UTC

After several months of not keeping up with my Gemini capsule, I decided
to re-organize it and make it easier (for me, at least) to set it up and
migrate it when I need to.

I created a docker-compose script around the molly-brown server. I still
need to do some documentation on setting it up and running in Docker, but
if you're already familiar with running Docker containers, then it's all
there and it works.

https://github.com/tgeek77/molly-brown-docker

Re: Containerized Server - Molly Brown

<slrntu0dor.1p5ad.matt@imladris.colo.ub3rgeek.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=350&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#350

From: matt@going-flying.com (Matthew Ernisse)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Subject: Re: Containerized Server - Molly Brown
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 23:09:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Matthew Ernisse - Sun, 5 Feb 2023 23:09 UTC

On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 12:17:33 GMT, Jason Evans wrote:
> I created a docker-compose script around the molly-brown server. I still
> need to do some documentation on setting it up and running in Docker, but
> if you're already familiar with running Docker containers, then it's all
> there and it works.
>
> https://github.com/tgeek77/molly-brown-docker

If you are looking for prior art for any reason I've been running Molly
Brown in a container for around 2 and a half years now.

https://ssl.ub3rgeek.net/git/?p=containers.git;a=tree;f=mollybrown;hb=HEAD

I use Puppet and run the container with host networking for IPv6 support.
You could slim the final container down more by basing it on the go runtime
base image but I have several CGI scripts I want to support.

--
"The avalanche has started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote."
--Kosh

Re: Containerized Server - Molly Brown

<uhjojl$3fiel$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=435&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#435

From: usenet-reply@spam-me-not.net (Casey Richins)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 13:49:09 -0600
 by: Casey Richins - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 19:49 UTC

On 2/5/23 16:09, Matthew Ernisse wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jan 2023 12:17:33 GMT, Jason Evans wrote:
>> I created a docker-compose script around the molly-brown server. I still
>> need to do some documentation on setting it up and running in Docker, but
>> if you're already familiar with running Docker containers, then it's all
>> there and it works.
>>
>> https://github.com/tgeek77/molly-brown-docker
>
> If you are looking for prior art for any reason I've been running Molly
> Brown in a container for around 2 and a half years now.
>
> https://ssl.ub3rgeek.net/git/?p=containers.git;a=tree;f=mollybrown;hb=HEAD
>
> I use Puppet and run the container with host networking for IPv6 support.
> You could slim the final container down more by basing it on the go runtime
> base image but I have several CGI scripts I want to support.

In Feb. 2022 I made my debut post on Reddit about this very topic. I was
attempting to setup my own Gemini server but I wanted to ensure that it
would be as secure as I could make it but also ensure that getting
everything back online in the event of a compromise would be a very
quick process.

https://www.reddit.com/r/geminiprotocol/comments/szc54s/gemini_capsule_in_docker/

This subsequent reddit post was then posted on my capsule once complete.

gemini://caseyrichins.online/logs/2022-02-21_Gemini-in-docker.gmi

In June of 2023 I posted a follow-up post on using client certificates

gemini://caseyrichins.online/logs/2023-06-09_gemini-client-certificates.gmi

In the two years since I've posted that walk through on setting up a
molly brown server in docker, it seems to have served me quite well but
I often find myself wondering if the method in which I've chosen to have
the content hosted is part of the friction I experience in writing and
publishing new content.

All of my content, being text only, is hosted and confined within the
container that runs with a read only filesystem. Three are no external
mount points so every new post or edit requires the container to be
rebuilt, pushed and pulled to docker hub. I have attempted to try to
automate the process as much as possible I have yet to have proper
working automated work flow. Using portainer I was hoping that when a
new image was published in docker hub that portainer would pull and
restart the container with the new image upon receiving an event push
from docker hub but it doesn't seem to work as I had hoped.

This "friction" means that I can't focus on just writing because the
publishing process is manual. However, running everything in docker was
fantastic when it came to a recent migration to a new server. The only
thing I had to do was setup the docker node, get portainer running and
re-import the configuration before finally updating DNS to point to the
new server. Should the server ever go belly up, my down time should be
less than 30 minutes to restore my capsule to working order.

My content also has 3 "backup" locations in sense that everything is
committed to a private github repo, images are built and pushed to
docker hub and a local spideroak backup takes care of backing up the
build image and repo stored on my local system, making things very
resilient in making sure I always have a copy.

Maybe sometime before the end of the year I'll go back review and update
anything that may have changed in my process.

The one thing I love about Molly Brown server is the ability to use
client certificates to create private spaces, even a space for no one
else but me where I can host notes and ideas. I would love to discuss
this topic with others to see what I could be doing better to allow
myself to be able to "just write" or how I can reduce friction in my
process.

--
Email me:
python3 -c \