Presidency: The greased pig in the field game of American politics. -- Ambrose Bierce

devel / comp.infosystems.gemini / Re: Old tablet repurpose

SubjectAuthor
* Old tablet repurposetpt
+* Re: Old tablet repurposeSebastian
|`* Re: Old tablet repurposetpt
| `* Re: Old tablet repurposeAndy Burns
|  `- Re: Old tablet repurposetpt
`* Re: Old tablet repurposeAndrew
 `* Re: Old tablet repurposetpt
  `* Re: Old tablet repurposeAndrew
   `- Re: Old tablet repurposetpt

1
Old tablet repurpose

<t77vp9$1si0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=263&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#263

From: Rajoduo@yahoo.com (tpt)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Subject: Old tablet repurpose
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2022 17:14:48 +0200
 by: tpt - Wed, 1 Jun 2022 15:14 UTC

Hello fellow Geminauts,

This is not directly related to Gemini protocol, I've seen this topic
pop-up here and there.

I have an old tablet which I'm looking to repurpose. It now runs (a
really old) Android and it can barely boot-up. Almost all useful
application are no longer supported, others are slow...

I want to repurpose it somehow (root it, install new OS, whatever) so
that I would be able to browse Gemini, Gopher, unbloated Web and read
documents.

Here are the specs if anyone is interested:
Lenovo TAB 2 A7-10F
Android 4.4.2
CPU 4 Core 1.3GHz
RAM 1GB
Storage 8GB

Anyone has any interesting ideas, suggestions or knows a similar project?

Thanks a bunch!

Cheers,
~tpt

Re: Old tablet repurpose

<t78v96$qsu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=264&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#264

From: sgafu97@DIESPAMMERSgmail.com (Sebastian)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Subject: Re: Old tablet repurpose
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 02:12:22 +0200
 by: Sebastian - Thu, 2 Jun 2022 00:12 UTC

Am 01.06.22 um 17:14 schrieb tpt:
> Hello fellow Geminauts,
>
> This is not directly related to Gemini protocol, I've seen this topic
> pop-up here and there.
>
> I have an old tablet which I'm looking to repurpose. It now runs (a
> really old) Android and it can barely boot-up. Almost all useful
> application are no longer supported, others are slow...
>
> I want to repurpose it somehow (root it, install new OS, whatever) so
> that I would be able to browse Gemini, Gopher, unbloated Web and read
> documents.
>
> Here are the specs if anyone is interested:
> Lenovo TAB 2 A7-10F
> Android 4.4.2
> CPU 4 Core 1.3GHz
> RAM 1GB
> Storage 8GB
>
> Anyone has any interesting ideas, suggestions or knows a similar project?
>
> Thanks a bunch!
>
> Cheers,
> ~tpt
Look if you can flash it with a Custom ROM and install F-Droid app store
afterwards, IIRC there are some apps in that store which support Gemini.
I also recommend NoScript and uBlock Origin in Firefox, ads, tracking
scripts and similar junk suck computing power.

Re: Old tablet repurpose

<95dfe2b7-ae27-21e0-eea5-162a91f87afa@yahoo.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=273&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#273

From: Rajoduo@yahoo.com (tpt)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 23:11:26 +0200
 by: tpt - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 21:11 UTC

On 02-Jun-22 02:12, Sebastian wrote:
> Am 01.06.22 um 17:14 schrieb tpt:
>> Hello fellow Geminauts,
>>
>> This is not directly related to Gemini protocol, I've seen this topic
>> pop-up here and there.
>>
>> I have an old tablet which I'm looking to repurpose. It now runs (a
>> really old) Android and it can barely boot-up. Almost all useful
>> application are no longer supported, others are slow...
>>
>> I want to repurpose it somehow (root it, install new OS, whatever) so
>> that I would be able to browse Gemini, Gopher, unbloated Web and read
>> documents.
>>
>> Here are the specs if anyone is interested:
>> Lenovo TAB 2 A7-10F
>> Android 4.4.2
>> CPU 4 Core 1.3GHz
>> RAM 1GB
>> Storage 8GB
>>
>> Anyone has any interesting ideas, suggestions or knows a similar project?
>>
>> Thanks a bunch!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> ~tpt
> Look if you can flash it with a Custom ROM and install F-Droid app store
> afterwards, IIRC there are some apps in that store which support Gemini.
> I also recommend NoScript and uBlock Origin in Firefox, ads, tracking
> scripts and similar junk suck computing power.

Thanks for replying!
I was not familiar with F-Droid so I will definitely go for that.
However, I'm having trouble finding any suitable custom ROM. Any idea
where to look?
Thanks again!

Re: Old tablet repurpose

<jgq16kFj3spU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=274&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#274

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 00:57:08 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 13 Jun 2022 23:57 UTC

On 13/06/2022 22:11, tpt wrote:

> On 02-Jun-22 02:12, Sebastian wrote:
>> Am 01.06.22 um 17:14 schrieb tpt:
>>> Hello fellow Geminauts,
>>>
>>> This is not directly related to Gemini protocol, I've seen this topic pop-up
>>> here and there.
>>>
>>> I have an old tablet which I'm looking to repurpose. It now runs (a really
>>> old) Android and it can barely boot-up. Almost all useful application are no
>>> longer supported, others are slow...
>>>
>>> I want to repurpose it somehow (root it, install new OS, whatever) so
>>> that I would be able to browse Gemini, Gopher, unbloated Web and read documents.
>>>
>>> Here are the specs if anyone is interested:
>>> Lenovo TAB 2 A7-10F
>>> Android 4.4.2
>>> CPU 4 Core 1.3GHz
>>> RAM 1GB
>>> Storage 8GB
>>>
>>> Anyone has any interesting ideas, suggestions or knows a similar project?
>>>
>>> Thanks a bunch!
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> ~tpt
>> Look if you can flash it with a Custom ROM and install F-Droid app store
>> afterwards, IIRC there are some apps in that store which support Gemini. I
>> also recommend NoScript and uBlock Origin in Firefox, ads, tracking scripts
>> and similar junk suck computing power.
>
> Thanks for replying!
> I was not familiar with F-Droid so I will definitely go for that.
> However, I'm having trouble finding any suitable custom ROM. Any idea where to
> look?

XDA would be my first place to look, but for a relatively old, weak device
you're not going to find much very modern, looks like Android 5.1 is about the
limit for it

<https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-5-1-1-cyanogenmod-12-1-for-lenovo-tab2-a7-10f-mt8127.3478841>

With the instructions on XDA don't necessarily expect much hand-holding, read
everything, check if it's applicable to your EXACT model, what's the worst you
can do, brick a barely useful tablet?

Re: Old tablet repurpose

<t8aseg$r7i$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=279&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#279

From: Rajoduo@yahoo.com (tpt)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 22:52:33 +0200
 by: tpt - Tue, 14 Jun 2022 20:52 UTC

On 14-Jun-22 01:57, Andy Burns wrote:
> On 13/06/2022 22:11, tpt wrote:

>>> Look if you can flash it with a Custom ROM and install F-Droid app
>>> store afterwards, IIRC there are some apps in that store which
>>> support Gemini. I also recommend NoScript and uBlock Origin in
>>> Firefox, ads, tracking scripts and similar junk suck computing power.
>>
>> Thanks for replying!
>> I was not familiar with F-Droid so I will definitely go for that.
>> However, I'm having trouble finding any suitable custom ROM. Any idea
>> where to look?
>
> XDA would be my first place to look, but for a relatively old, weak
> device you're not going to find much very modern, looks like Android 5.1
> is about the limit for it
>
> <https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-5-1-1-cyanogenmod-12-1-for-lenovo-tab2-a7-10f-mt8127.3478841>
>

> With the instructions on XDA don't necessarily expect much hand-holding,
> read everything, check if it's applicable to your EXACT model, what's
> the worst you can do, brick a barely useful tablet?

Thanks again! I've also never heard of XDA before. It will be fun to
experiment. I'm looking forward to breaking a barely useful tablet. :-D

Cheers

Re: Old tablet repurpose

<8442521c-239a-995c-197d-60d0b6f919ed@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=310&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#310

From: singletona082@gmail.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 15:46:00 -0500
 by: Andrew - Wed, 2 Nov 2022 20:46 UTC

Unsure if this will work for you (my kindle fire has, I think, android
7? it's the 2020 amazon fire I ran toolbox on to have a proper home
screen on,) but f-droid has a build of lagrange I have on there. Far
FAAAR snappier to use than the web.

https://www.reddit.com/r/geminiprotocol/comments/sbtvbf/lagrange_now_for_android_and_ios/

Lemme know if that does anything?

On 6/1/22 10:14 AM, tpt wrote:
> Hello fellow Geminauts,
>
> This is not directly related to Gemini protocol, I've seen this topic
> pop-up here and there.
>
> I have an old tablet which I'm looking to repurpose. It now runs (a
> really old) Android and it can barely boot-up. Almost all useful
> application are no longer supported, others are slow...
>
> I want to repurpose it somehow (root it, install new OS, whatever) so
> that I would be able to browse Gemini, Gopher, unbloated Web and read
> documents.
>
> Here are the specs if anyone is interested:
> Lenovo TAB 2 A7-10F
> Android 4.4.2
> CPU 4 Core 1.3GHz
> RAM 1GB
> Storage 8GB
>
> Anyone has any interesting ideas, suggestions or knows a similar project?
>
> Thanks a bunch!
>
> Cheers,
> ~tpt

Re: Old tablet repurpose

<tk7vvl$p3g$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=326&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#326

From: Rajoduo@yahoo.com (tpt)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 10:49:38 +0100
 by: tpt - Sun, 6 Nov 2022 09:49 UTC

On 02-Nov-22 21:46, Andrew wrote:
> Unsure if this will work for you (my kindle fire has, I think, android
> 7? it's the 2020 amazon fire I ran toolbox on to have a proper home
> screen on,) but f-droid has a build of lagrange I have on there. Far
> FAAAR snappier to use than the web.
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/geminiprotocol/comments/sbtvbf/lagrange_now_for_android_and_ios/
>
> Lemme know if that does anything?
>
> On 6/1/22 10:14 AM, tpt wrote:
>> Hello fellow Geminauts,
>>
>> This is not directly related to Gemini protocol, I've seen this topic
>> pop-up here and there.
>>
>> I have an old tablet which I'm looking to repurpose. It now runs (a
>> really old) Android and it can barely boot-up. Almost all useful
>> application are no longer supported, others are slow...
>>
>> I want to repurpose it somehow (root it, install new OS, whatever) so
>> that I would be able to browse Gemini, Gopher, unbloated Web and read
>> documents.
>>
>> Here are the specs if anyone is interested:
>> Lenovo TAB 2 A7-10F
>> Android 4.4.2
>> CPU 4 Core 1.3GHz
>> RAM 1GB
>> Storage 8GB
>>
>> Anyone has any interesting ideas, suggestions or knows a similar project?
>>
>> Thanks a bunch!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> ~tpt

Hey, thanks for the suggestion.
I got really stuck here, because none of the solutions I found (and were
posted here) are not working, or at least I'm doing something wrong, so
I put the project on hiatus for now. :-D But, I'm gathering info and the
willpower to try it again.
Cheers

Re: Old tablet repurpose

<tkattr$1rj1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=333&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#333

From: singletona082@gmail.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 06:32:58 -0600
 by: Andrew - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 12:32 UTC

On 11/6/22 3:49 AM, tpt wrote:
> Hey, thanks for the suggestion.
> I got really stuck here, because none of the solutions I found (and were
> posted here) are not working, or at least I'm doing something wrong, so
> I put the project on hiatus for now. :-D But, I'm gathering info and the
> willpower to try it again.
> Cheers

What kind of tablet is it? You should be able to use the table'ts
browser to go to f-droid's site to grab the API and manually install it.

Re: Old tablet repurpose

<tkh8ua$1qju$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=334&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#334

From: Rajoduo@yahoo.com (tpt)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 23:17:45 +0100
 by: tpt - Wed, 9 Nov 2022 22:17 UTC

On 07-Nov-22 13:32, Andrew wrote:
> On 11/6/22 3:49 AM, tpt wrote:
>> Hey, thanks for the suggestion.
>> I got really stuck here, because none of the solutions I found (and
>> were posted here) are not working, or at least I'm doing something
>> wrong, so I put the project on hiatus for now. :-D But, I'm gathering
>> info and the willpower to try it again.
>> Cheers
>
> What kind of tablet is it? You should be able to use the table'ts
> browser to go to f-droid's site to grab the API and manually install it.

From my original mail:
> Here are the specs if anyone is interested:
> Lenovo TAB 2 A7-10F
> Android 4.4.2
> CPU 4 Core 1.3GHz
> RAM 1GB
> Storage 8GB

I initially tried that and apparently running Android version was to
small even for that...