From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
Subject: BBC News
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 19:00:59 +0000
 by: rslight rss feeds - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 19:00 UTC

Man in court accused of plot to kidnap Holly Willoughby
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67027015?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 4:21 PM
A 36-year-old man is accused of soliciting to murder and incitement to kidnap.
--------------------
Labour 'blew the doors off' in by-election win - Starmer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-67029360?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 4:11 PM
Michael Shanks won the Rutherglen and Hamilton West by-election with double the votes of the SNP.
--------------------
HS2: What has been built so far?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67029579?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 2:43 PM
A visual guide to the progress made on one of the most expensive rail projects in the world.
--------------------
Dale Vince: Major Labour donor to stop funding Just Stop Oil
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67031062?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 5:23 PM
Businessman Dale Vince says the group's tactics have become "counterproductive" for the green cause.
--------------------
Sir Alex Ferguson's wife Lady Cathy dies aged 84
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67032729?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 4:28 PM
Lady Cathy Ferguson, the wife of former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson, dies aged 84.
--------------------
Watch: Moment Tupac's murder suspect gets arrested
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67032696?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 2:27 PM
Newly released bodycam footage shows the 60-year-old former gang leader getting handcuffed in Las Vegas.
--------------------
Rapper Drake taking break from music to focus on health
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67035523?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 6:02 PM
"I need to focus on my health first," the rapper said, adding that he suffers from stomach issues.
--------------------
'I no longer feel safe': Rape adviser quits role and UK
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67022205?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 2:03 PM
Emily Hunt says her own experiences of abuse and the UK courts have pushed her to leave for the US.
--------------------
UK weather: 26C for parts of UK - but heavy rain warning for Scotland
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67028073?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 3:53 PM
An amber rain warning is in place for Scotland, while warm weather is forecast in other parts of the UK.
--------------------
Metro Bank: What's going on and is my money safe?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67027436?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 2:59 PM
Bosses say there are no concerns about its finances after reports it was looking to raise millions.
--------------------
Taxpayers to pay £40bn due to threshold freeze, think tank says
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67031930?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 4:57 PM
New analysis suggests the Treasury will now net £40bn in income tax due to inflation.
--------------------
American tourist arrested for smashing Israel Museum statues
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67027881?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 2:34 PM
Images shared by Israeli police show the two ancient Roman sculptures lying broken on the floor.
--------------------
Ed Sheeran scores seventh straight number one album with Autumn Variations
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67032473?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 4:54 PM
Autumn Variations divided the critics but fans are all still firmly behind the singer-songwriter.
--------------------
Ukraine war: Blood stains visible in the soil as village of Hroza mourns
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67031817?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 4:03 PM
Interior Minister Ihor Klymenko says every family in Hroza has been affected by Thursday's missile strike.
--------------------
I was innocent - but it cost me £500,000 to prove it
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66928735?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 5:01 AM
People found not guilty of crimes say winning their freedom has left them financially devastated.
--------------------
How a chatbot encouraged a man who wanted to kill the Queen
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67012224?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 11:17 AM
The case of Jaswant Singh Chail raises questions about the safety of AI-powered chatbots.
--------------------
Quiz of the week: Which university is opening a world of magic?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-67020132?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 8:17 AM
How closely have you been paying attention to what's been going on over the past seven days?
--------------------
How is the ADHD medication shortage in the UK affecting people?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-67010493?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 10:05 AM
People with the condition say they face uncertain times as their supplies run out or run low.
--------------------
BBC witnesses Chinese ships blocking Philippines supply boats
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-67015857?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 5:01 AM
It resulted in an encounter that lasted several hours before the Philippine ships turned back.
--------------------
Haim look back at their first decade: 'No-one wanted to sign us!'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66993259?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 5, 2023, 11:50 PM
The Grammy nominees were hand-picked to support Taylor Swift, but things weren't always so easy.
--------------------
Narges Mohammadi: Iranian woman jailed for rights work wins Nobel Peace prize
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67026216?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 6:18 PM
Narges Mohammadi is currently serving a 10-year sentence in Iran's notorious Evin prison.
--------------------
What's 'long cold' - and how can you tell you have it?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-67016985?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 8:06 AM
Common 'long cold' symptoms people reported include a cough, stomach pain, and diarrhoea.
--------------------
Snapchat: Snap AI chatbot 'may risk children's privacy'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67027282?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 3:45 PM
The My AI feature could be shut down in the UK following an initial investigation by the data watchdog.
--------------------
Error to open pubs not schools, Covid inquiry told
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cw5w76p62eqo?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 2:09 PM
The ex-children's commissioner in England says most senior officials did not put children first.
--------------------
Plaid Cymru not just for Welsh speakers - Rhun ap Iorwerth
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-67012483?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 4:18 PM
Rhun ap Iorwerth says Plaid Cymru is for everyone in Wales, at his first conference as party leader.
--------------------
Give renters power to demand home insulation - Green Party
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67027074?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 4:57 PM
The Green co-leaders tell their conference the move would combat climate change and lower bills.
--------------------
House price falls expected into new year, Halifax says
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67028467?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 10:01 AM
The UK's biggest mortgage lender says prices are still falling, but the rate of reduction has slowed.
--------------------
France bedbug panic: Officials respond as Paris school infested
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67027138?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 11:05 AM
Government officials meet as teachers refuse to work following the latest reported infestation.
--------------------
NFL star Kelce says Swift coverage being overhyped
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67013451?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 5, 2023, 9:26 PM
The NFL's social media quickly seized on the player's alleged romance with singer Taylor Swift.
--------------------
Jason Derulo sued for sexual harassment by fellow singer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67026450?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 11:03 AM
Singer Emaza Gibson claims the star signed her to his label then demanded sex, which he denies.
--------------------
Australian man rowing across Pacific Ocean rescued after capsizing
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-67027878?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 10:38 AM
Tom Robinson, 24, had been hoping to become the youngest person to row across the ocean.
--------------------
Stoke Mandeville revealed as permanent home of Paralympic flame
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-67020029?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 6:28 AM
The flame will be lit at Stoke Mandeville from the Paris 2024 Paralympic Games onwards.
--------------------
Off-course turtle named after Scottish island taken 1,700 miles home
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-67021532?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 5:15 AM
A lost turtle found in Scotland and rehabilitated in Yorkshire is released back into the wild.
--------------------
Manchester Corinthians: Pioneering women's football club honoured
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-67017610?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 5:05 AM
Manchester Corinthians helped pave the way for the Lionesses by defying an FA ban on women's football.
--------------------
Max Verstappen on pole position for Sunday's Qatar Grand Prix as title looms
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/67033216?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 6:09 PM
Max Verstappen storms to pole position at the Qatar Grand Prix and needed only one run in the final qualifying session to do it.
--------------------
Paul Pogba: Juventus midfielder's B sample confirms positive drugs test
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67031763?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 6, 2023, 6:24 PM
Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba's failed drugs test is confirmed after his B sample also tests positive.
--------------------
The facts have changed, says Rishi Sunak, as he scraps HS2 leg
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67005544?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 4, 2023, 5:26 PM
In his first speech as leader to Tory conference, the PM also makes pledges on smoking ban and new post-16 qualifications.
--------------------
Faisal Islam: Why Rishi Sunak's big gamble may not pay off
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67003881?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 5, 2023, 7:37 AM
Rishi Sunak is taking an economic risk by spending money on everyday transport upgrades instead of a grand project.
--------------------
Would Labour tax meat? And other Conservative claims checked
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66993211?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 4, 2023, 3:57 PM
Checking Conservative conference claims on HS2, inflation, defence spending, fracking and more.
--------------------
Six speech takeaways: From banning smoking to hailing Thatcher
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66997108?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 4, 2023, 2:35 PM
Banning smoking, building roads and hailing Thatcher - Sunak's Tory conference speech broken down.
--------------------
What is happening to house prices, and could there be a crash?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-63147101?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 12:47 PM
How higher interest rates are changing the UK's housing market.
--------------------
First time home buyers: How much can I borrow?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/65544554?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 12, 2023, 9:47 AM
With rents rising, more people are crunching the numbers to see if they can afford to buy.
--------------------
Renting: Three ways to win the race to securing a property
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65089308?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 28, 2023, 11:14 PM
From being first in the queue to being more flexible, here are some tips on how to get ahead in the rental race.
--------------------
Mortgage rates: Five ways to save money
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65984415?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 10, 2023, 10:46 AM
Experts give advice for those who might be worried about their monthly mortgage payments.
--------------------
Interest rate and mortgages: What you can do about rising payments
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66384295?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 3, 2023, 3:44 AM
Watch the BBC's Lora Jones tell you five things you can do about your mortgage, in a minute.
--------------------
Renting: What are your rights as a tenant?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65038459?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 21, 2023, 9:03 AM
With one in five people now renting in the UK, it's important to understand your rights as a tenant.
--------------------
Rent increases: What you can do about a rise from your landlord
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63290805?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 17, 2022, 10:42 PM
The BBC's Lora Jones tells you four things you can do, if your landlord asks for more money.
--------------------
Rent prices: How much have they gone up in your area?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65103937?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 28, 2023, 11:30 PM
Use our interactive tool to find out what the average rent is in your area.
--------------------
Cheaper train tickets: Five ways to save money
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64827711?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 16, 2023, 8:56 PM
As rail fares increase, we find the ways passengers can keep journeys as cheap as possible.
--------------------
Fuel cost: How to save petrol and diesel
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61745697?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 3, 2023, 1:01 PM
With weak competition adding to fuel prices, are drivers doing the right things to save money?
--------------------
Food prices: How can I save money on my grocery shop?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61798003?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 31, 2023, 10:57 AM
The cost-of-living crisis continues to bite. Here are some things that can reduce the impact.
--------------------
What are my rights if my flight is cancelled or delayed?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61646214?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 29, 2023, 2:58 PM
Technical glitches have caused disruption at airports but passengers do have rights.
--------------------
What is the minimum wage and how much is it?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48445674?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 2, 2023, 8:29 AM
The national living wage is expected to go up next April, boosting two million people's pay.
--------------------
Cost of living: Five tips when asking for a pay rise
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64288791?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 15, 2023, 10:33 AM
Recruiters, a manager and a workplace psychologist give their advice on how to negotiate for more money.
--------------------
Mortgages: What happens if I am struggling to pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63486782?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 10, 2023, 12:44 PM
Many homeowners are worried about higher mortgage costs, but lenders must help those struggling.
--------------------
How to get a job: Six expert tips for finding work
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64939070?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 14, 2023, 4:03 PM
There are 10m people out of work in the UK, so if you're searching for a job you're not alone. Here are some tips on how to get started.
--------------------
Energy price cap: What is it and will bills continue to go down?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58090533?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 29, 2023, 11:21 AM
The price cap which sets typical annual household energy bills is falling slightly from October.
Energy bills: What can I do if I can't afford to pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62435432?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
September 27, 2023, 1:22 PM
If you're struggling to afford your gas and electricity bills, what options are available?

Click here to read the complete article