From: benk@tilde.team (Ben)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Subject: News
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 08:48:13 +0500
 by: Ben - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 03:48 UTC

Any news on the Gemini front?

--
gemini://kwiecien.us/

Re: News

<dog_cow-1660078291@macgui.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=291&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#291

From: dog_cow@macgui.com (D Finnigan)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Subject: Re: News
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 20:51:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: D Finnigan - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 20:51 UTC

Ben wrote:
> Any news on the Gemini front?

Last news item posted was in June:

2022-06-20 - Three years of Gemini!

Today, the 20th of June 2022, is the third anniversary of the Gemini
project! Or at least, the third anniversary of the public announcing of the
project under that name - arguably the very first seeds were planted just a
little earlier, but it's hard to put a concrete date on anything earlier
than this, so for official celebration purposes, today is the day. Somewhat
astonishingly, we have now outlived our namesake! Gemini 1 was launched as
an uncrewed test in April 1964, and the final flight, Gemini 12, splashed
down in November 1966, less than three years later.

It would be difficult to deny that the third year of the project's life has
been the least eventful by a large margin, if we restrict our attention to
the official and the visible. I kind of wonder if anybody will believe me
anymore when I say things like this, but I really do still care, and want
things to get better, and feel bad about how poorly I was able to handle the
explosive surge of attention which marked Gemini's second year. It's true.

But I also think it's easy to overstate just how bad things are. Despite the
loss of the mailing list, despite the glacial pace of refinements to the
protocol specification, statistics provided by the Lupa crawler suggest that
since the FAQ was last updated a little over a year ago, the number of
Gemini capsules has more than doubled, so too has the number of unique
domains hosting Gemini content, and the number of unique IP addresses didn't
quite double but got close. Despite the shortcomings of communication and
leadership, people are still finding out about Gemini, they are still
finding it compelling enough in its current state to want to try it out, and
they are finding enough software and documentation and community assistance
out there to set up capsules.

I'm not clutching at straws here. Slow, organic, grass-roots growth of
Geminispace is absolutely the most important thing for the project, and I
consider the fact that it is happening without strong official outreach or
coordination to be a genuine sign of health. Thank you to everybody who has
done things, small or large, to help keep Gemini healthy.

Let's keep those capsules flying!

Proxied content from gemini://gemini.circumlunar.space/news/2022_06_20.gmi