From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
Subject: BBC News
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 15:30:57 +0000
 by: rslight rss feeds - Wed, 9 Aug 2023 15:30 UTC

Forty-one migrants die in shipwreck off Lampedusa
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66448987?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 2:31 PM
Four survivors told rescuers the boat set off from Tunisia carrying 45 people, including three children.
--------------------
Eleven dead after fire rips through France holiday home
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66447519?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 3:11 PM
French President Emmanuel Macron said his thoughts were with the victims and their families.
--------------------
This Morning: ITV employees allege toxic culture following Schofield exit
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66448872?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 12:26 PM
The House of Commons media committee says there are claims of harassment, bullying and discrimination.
--------------------
'Family fears for my safety' after police details published
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-66447388?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 2:48 PM
Constable says publication of details of police in Northern Ireland highlights family's worries.
--------------------
Comedian Hardeep Singh Kohli charged with sex offences
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66454248?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 2:49 PM
The comedian has been arrested and charged following allegations of "non-recent" sexual offences.
--------------------
Struggling Wilko suspends home delivery orders
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66449747?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 2:34 PM
The High Street retailer faces collapse if it cannot secure fresh investment by next week.
--------------------
The Crooked House pub fire and demolition controversy... in 52 seconds
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66452284?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 11:55 AM
The Crooked House, near Dudley, is gutted by fire and demolished within days leading to many questions.
--------------------
Bibby Stockholm: Migrants changing minds over move to barge - Robert Jenrick
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-66447487?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 2:00 PM
A "significant" number who had refused to board have changed their minds, the immigration minister says.
--------------------
Hillary Clinton offered to set me up on a date, says Welsh minister
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-66438470?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 12:42 PM
The ex-presidential candidate offered to set up a newly single Welsh minister with her friends.
--------------------
TUI: Heatwaves likely to affect where and when we holiday
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66449744?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 1:15 PM
The tour operator says climate change could affect where and when people choose to go on holiday.
--------------------
Drivers told to display clean air sticker to avoid £155 French fine
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66449514?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 12:14 PM
Crit'Air stickers come in six categories, from green for the cleanest vehicles to dark grey.
--------------------
Sixto Rodriguez: Searching for Sugar Man singer dies aged 81
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66449150?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 3:01 PM
The musician struggled to find success in his native US, but he developed a following in South Africa.
--------------------
Russia’s new schoolbook aims to justify war on Ukraine
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66450520?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 11:29 AM
The book makes numerous false claims and portrays Ukraine as an aggressive state run by nationalists.
--------------------
World Scout Jamboree: How troubles plagued South Korea's operation
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-66425588?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 12:08 PM
Witnesses say the event was struck by bad weather but also plagued by mismanagement and safety risks.
--------------------
Tory Lanez: How the Megan Thee Stallion shooting trial played out
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-63512342?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 1:03 AM
Rapper Tory Lanez is sentenced to 10 years for shooting Megan Thee Stallion in the feet.
--------------------
Are UK doctors really leaving the NHS for jobs in Australia?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-66440807?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 2:28 AM
An analysis by the BBC shows the number leaving NHS has been pretty consistent for a decade.
--------------------
Edinburgh Fringe: Anything goes or cancel culture?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66448424?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 10:06 AM
The Joanna Cherry and Jerry Sadowitz controversies led people to ask if the Fringe is too censorious.
--------------------
Antidepressants: I wasn't told about the side-effects
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66430817?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 5:16 AM
Seonaid Stallan's son took his own life two months after he was given a different antidepressant.
--------------------
Dating with cancer: ‘It was the first thing people noticed'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-66427055?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 2:35 AM
Three young women say it can be difficult using dating apps after having life-changing cancer treatment.
--------------------
Roe v Wade: ‘Could abortion bans put my IVF at risk?’
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66438294?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 1:34 AM
Women in the US are worried that changes to abortion laws could affect their fertility treatment.
--------------------
Which criminal case may be hardest for Trump to win?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66404233?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 8, 2023, 9:45 PM
Three indictments, 78 charges, three trials. We assess his expected defence and which case should worry him most.
--------------------
Amazon sellers upset as new policy delays payments
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66437327?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 9:05 AM
Some sellers say a new policy to hold their money in reserve is 'crippling' their businesses.
--------------------
Fitness: Fewer than 5,000 steps a day enough to boost health - study
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-66440424?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 1:19 AM
The step count needed to reduce the risk of disease is lower than previously thought, research suggests.
--------------------
Jamie Reid: Punk artist behind Sex Pistols record covers dies at 76
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66450958?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 1:48 PM
Reid's designs for the punk band's record covers became some of the defining images of the era.
--------------------
Tories could campaign to leave European human rights treaty if Rwanda flights blocked
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66438422?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 10:53 AM
The party is likely to back leaving ECHR if Rwanda flights are still blocked, senior Tories say.
--------------------
Cardiff: St Mellons crash victims on laughing gas, court papers reveal
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66450162?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 12:29 PM
One of the occupants who was dropped off prior to the crash was charged with driving offences.
--------------------
Zac Goldsmith is 'very tempted' to support Labour at next election
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66449347?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 11:45 AM
The former Tory minister tells the BBC his party needs to "come to its senses" on the environment.
--------------------
Amazon deal lacks concrete measures, say climate activists
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-66446449?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 10:15 AM
A summit in Brazil sees the countries that share the Amazon basin agree only to a new alliance on the issue.
--------------------
Spending power to surge in London but plunge in other regions
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66436792?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 11:09 AM
The West Midlands, the South East and the East of England will be hit hardest by inflation, warns think tank.
--------------------
Microphone thrown by Cardi B makes $100k for charity
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66449146?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 10:46 AM
The rap star hurled the mic after a fan threw a drink at her during a recent concert in Las Vegas
--------------------
Nicola Sturgeon to publish her 'deeply personal' memoir
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66450286?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 11:24 AM
The former first minister says her autobiography will give her "unique perspective" on her career.
--------------------
Nikki Allan: Mum of murdered girl to sue Northumbria Police
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66439531?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 11:13 AM
Sharon Henderson had to wait 30 years for her daughter Nikki's murderer to be caught and jailed.
--------------------
Friendly cat interrupts BBC reporter during live broadcast
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66450510?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 10:19 AM
The inquisitive feline stole the show as Dave Guest reported on a project transforming alleyways in Manchester.
--------------------
Benefits taken away to pay for utilities without consent
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66067383?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 2:23 AM
The government is still deducting money from Universal Credit claimants to clear unpaid utility bills.
--------------------
Deflation: Why falling prices in China raise concerns
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66435870?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 7:14 AM
The world's second largest economy has slipped into deflation for the first time in more than two years.
--------------------
Student finance: How much does university cost and does it increase earnings?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-62237170?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 3, 2023, 3:39 PM
Given rising costs, some students are wondering whether going to university makes financial sense.
--------------------
Labour launches expert team to increase crime-solving
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66443821?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 7:34 AM
The party launches an expert team to help police and prosecutors bring more criminals to justice.
--------------------
Water bills: Fight for money back over sewage leaks begins
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66443833?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 8, 2023, 11:01 PM
It could result in customers receiving an average of £40 each, but there is no guarantee it will succeed.
--------------------
Former Crooked House landlords appalled at fire and demolition
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-66442053?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 6:51 AM
Two Crooked House landlords speak of their devastation at the loss of Britain's wonkiest pub.
--------------------
Texas woman injured after hawk drops snake on her
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66446697?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 12:56 AM
A passing hawk drops a serpent on Peggy Jones as she mows grass, leading to a three-way struggle.
--------------------
The duo making classical music accessible
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-66381403?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 8, 2023, 11:33 PM
The Australian YouTube stars TwoSet Violin are known for their entertaining and informative videos.
--------------------
Royal prodigal son's return stirs up Thailand
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-66446895?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 5:32 AM
The second of four estranged sons visits the country of his birth for the first time in 27 years.
--------------------
Strictly contestants 2023: Bobby Brazier, Jody Cundy and Ellie Leach join line-up
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66408141?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 7:57 AM
He will join the likes of Jody Cundy, Ellie Leach and Angela Rippon on the show's dancefloor.
--------------------
Ancient lizard-like species discovered in Australia
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-66446925?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 5:59 AM
It ends a decades-long mystery surrounding a rare fossil first found by a retired chicken farmer.
--------------------
Asylum seekers describe first 24 hours on new barge
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66444120?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 3:07 PM
Fifteen men boarded the government's new accommodation barge for asylum seekers in Dorset on Monday.
--------------------
Facebook's growth not linked to psychological harm, study finds
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66424770?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 10:41 AM
Oxford researchers say there's no evidence the platform's growth across 72 countries harmed wellbeing.
--------------------
Miss Universe Indonesia: Contestants allege sexual abuse
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-66436007?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 4:17 AM
Police are investigating the women's claim that they were subjected to "body checks" during the contest.
--------------------
Onlyfans, Twitch and Snapchat rules 'impenetrable'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66441073?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 8, 2023, 11:11 PM
Ofcom says popular platforms' terms of service are very long and difficult to understand.
--------------------
West Ham transfer news: Hammers agree deals for Harry Maguire and James Ward-Prowse
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66448957?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 9:58 AM
West Ham United agree deals for Manchester United's Harry Maguire and Southampton's James Ward-Prowse worth about £60m in total.
--------------------
Gary O'Neil: Wolves name former Bournemouth boss as Julen Lopetegui successor
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66447376?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 2:35 PM
Wolves confirm the appointment of former Bournemouth manager Gary O'Neil on a three-year contract.
--------------------
Ryder Cup 2023: Rory McIlroy and Jon Rahm confirmed on Luke Donald's European team
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/66454404?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 2:40 PM
Northern Ireland's Rory McIlroy and Jon Rahm of Spain have their places on the European team for this year's Ryder Cup confirmed.
--------------------
The Hundred 2023: Trent Rockets lose five wicket in 15 balls to Northern Superchargers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/66453604?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 9, 2023, 1:43 PM
Watch the Trent Rockets suffer a dramatic batting collapse, losing five wickets in 15 balls in their loss to the Northern Superchargers in The Hundred.
--------------------
Energy bills: What can I do if I can't afford to pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62435432?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 25, 2023, 8:30 AM
If you're struggling to afford your gas and electricity bills, what options are available?
--------------------
What is a recession and how could it affect me?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52986863?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 31, 2023, 8:55 AM
Britain's economy is expected to shrink in 2023 but no longer expected to go into recession.
--------------------
Interest rates: How a rise affects you and your money
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57764601?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 3, 2023, 11:09 AM
The Bank of England decided to raise interest rates again in a bid to slow price rises.
--------------------
Why inflation is falling but prices are still rising
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64290160?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 19, 2023, 7:29 AM
We report this percentage every month but here are three things you may not know.
--------------------
What is happening to house prices, and could there be a crash?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-63147101?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 12:47 PM
How higher interest rates are changing the UK's housing market.
--------------------
Food prices: How can I save money on my grocery shop?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61798003?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 31, 2023, 10:57 AM
The cost-of-living crisis continues to bite. Here are some things that can reduce the impact.
--------------------
UK inflation rate calculator: How much are prices rising for you?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62558817?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 19, 2023, 6:21 AM
Use our calculator to find out how much the cost of living is going up in your household.
--------------------
First time home buyers: How much can I borrow?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/65544554?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 12, 2023, 9:47 AM
With rents rising, more people are crunching the numbers to see if they can afford to buy.
--------------------
What are my rights if my flight is cancelled?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61646214?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 10, 2023, 4:04 PM
Strikes and poor weather may cause disruption at airports, but passengers do have rights.
--------------------
Cheaper train tickets: Five ways to save money
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64827711?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 27, 2023, 12:21 PM
As rail fares increase, we find the ways passengers can keep journeys as cheap as possible.
--------------------
Rent increases: What you can do about a rise from your landlord
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63290805?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 17, 2022, 10:42 PM
The BBC's Lora Jones tells you four things you can do, if your landlord asks for more money.
--------------------
What is the UK inflation rate and why is it so high?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12196322?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 27, 2023, 8:58 AM
The rate at which prices are rising remains high, driven by soaring food prices.
Interest rate and mortgages: What you can do about rising payments
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66384295?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 3, 2023, 3:44 AM
Watch the BBC's Lora Jones tell you five things you can do about your mortgage, in a minute.

Click here to read the complete article