From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
Subject: BBC News
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 15:01:37 +0000
 by: rslight rss feeds - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 15:01 UTC

China 1-6 England: Lauren James' stunning display powers England into last 16
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66369572?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 1:31 PM
Lauren James produces a sensational performance as England sweep aside China to book their place in the last 16 of the Women's World Cup.
--------------------
Affordable housing schemes: 'Invisible' renters earning £30k not eligible
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66255727?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 6:47 AM
People with enough money to rent affordable housing in London are being told their incomes are too low.
--------------------
UK house prices fall at sharpest rate for 14 years, says Nationwide
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66369695?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 8:58 AM
The building society says annual prices dropped by 3.8% and affordability "remains stretched".
--------------------
Angus Cloud: Euphoria actor who played 'Fez' dead aged 25
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66333376?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 1:28 PM
The star is found dead at his family home in California, just days after his father's funeral.
--------------------
Nasa loses contact with 1977 probe after wrong command
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-66371569?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 2:31 PM
A signal sent in error left Voyager 2's antenna tilting the wrong way, severing contact with Earth.
--------------------
Niger: UK tells nationals to stay inside amid unrest
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66371703?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 1:05 PM
The Foreign Office is urging citizens to register their whereabouts after a military coup triggered violence.
--------------------
David Hunter: Husband visits wife's Cyprus grave day after release
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66372796?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 1:40 PM
David Hunter had been unable to visit his wife's grave after being held in prison over her death.
--------------------
UK weather: Storm and wind warnings for England and Wales as NI sees wettest July
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66371704?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 1:48 PM
The Met Office confirms July has been been one of the wettest on record - and there's more to come.
--------------------
MrBeast sues fast food company over 'revolting' burger
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66372675?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 11:55 AM
MrBeast is the most popular YouTuber in the world, with more than 172 million subscribers.
--------------------
Tax jumps on wine and spirits but falls on fizz
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66361232?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 6:33 AM
A shake-up of the duties levied on alcoholic drinks will push up the price of stronger drinks.
--------------------
Watch: Snake invades Sri Lanka cricket match
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-66373467?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 11:09 AM
The reptile slithered onto a Lanka Premier League game in Colombo, Sri Lanka, bringing play to a halt.
--------------------
Boris Johnson's swimming pool plans threatened by newts
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66370646?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 10:50 AM
The presence of great crested newts could hamper a development at the former PM's Oxfordshire home.
--------------------
The truth about heat pumps and the power needed to run them
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66359093?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 4:24 AM
Climate editor Justin Rowlatt on the challenge of how to warm the UK's homes - but not the planet.
--------------------
Why Russian flags have started to appear in Niger
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-66365376?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 31, 2023, 11:59 PM
Supporters of the military which seized power in Niger have been showing their support for Russia.
--------------------
Why Pakistanis are taking the dangerous Libya route to Europe
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-66362327?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 9:00 AM
Farhad and Touheed were among thousands paying huge sums to risk a perilous boat journey via Libya.
--------------------
Step this way - why has an entrepreneur spent £25,000 on a staircase?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66369705?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 2:31 PM
A businessman outbid others to buy the disused staircase located behind a Starbucks in Twickenham.
--------------------
We built a spaceport on a Scottish island
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-66301102?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 5:18 AM
Frank and Debbie Strang have helped to lead the efforts to create Shetland's SaxaVord Spaceport.
--------------------
Etsy sellers call for strike after money held
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66362229?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 10:47 AM
Sellers on the online marketplace are calling for action in protest at its reserve system.
--------------------
Cardi B: Why are fans throwing things on stage?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-66085967?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 9:00 AM
Cardi B reacted to someone throwing a drink at her by chucking a microphone at them from the stage.
--------------------
Anglesey crossbow murder: Why was Gerald Corrigan killed?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65985341?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 5:06 AM
Fiona Corrigan does not know why her father was shot at his home by someone he did not know.
--------------------
'First English slave fort in Africa' uncovered on Ghana's coast
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-66359512?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 12:43 AM
Ghana archaeologists say they have found 17th Century remains of the long-lost Fort Kormantine.
--------------------
The Ashes 2023: 'Stuart Broad gives us the feels one last time'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/66367525?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 5:27 AM
Few England cricketers connect with a crowd like Stuart Broad. On the final day of the last Ashes Test he showed why we will miss him so much.
--------------------
UK's first drone mail service begins in Orkney
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-66340600?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 2:15 PM
Royal Mail and Skyports will distribute letters and parcels between the islands using drones.
--------------------
Hiccupping giant panda caught on camera
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-66372950?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 10:21 AM
Video from China’s Sichuan province shows the animal looking relaxed, but unimpressed.
--------------------
Elon Musk to be billed for unauthorised flashing X sign
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66371435?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 12:02 PM
X, formerly known as Twitter, has had to remove the sign on its HQ and will have to pay associated costs.
--------------------
Cardi B throws microphone into crowd at gig after being hit by drink
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66358971?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 7:57 AM
The rapper was reacting to having a drink hit her on stage while she was performing.
--------------------
Myanmar: Aung San Suu Kyi jail term reduced after some pardons
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-66357403?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 8:09 AM
The pardon, part of a seasonal amnesty by the military junta, will reduce her 33-year jail sentence by six years.
--------------------
Bibby Stockholm: No timeframe for migrant barge arrivals
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66371897?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 2:37 PM
The transport minister says final safety checks are still being carried out on the Bibby Stockholm.
--------------------
School's shock as teens die on way to end-of-year ball
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cgr8527p83zo?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 7:02 AM
There is devastation after a car crashes on the way to a school dance near Clones in County Monaghan.
--------------------
Barbie movie: Warner Bros sorry for replying to atomic bomb memes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66368581?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 8:52 AM
The Official Barbie Movie account is criticised for replying to images which made fun of atomic bombs.
--------------------
Dart Charge: Issues continue for Dartford Crossing users
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-66370666?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 12:09 PM
Motorists crossing the Thames between Kent and Essex still cannot access the payment website.
--------------------
Capt Sir Tom Moore's family defend unauthorised home spa
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-66336470?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 5:10 AM
The veteran fundraiser's family is appealing against an order to demolish the building.
--------------------
Watch: Bride walks down flooded aisle after typhoon
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-66368764?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 2:17 AM
A couple in the Philippines pressed ahead with their wedding in a flooded church.
--------------------
HSBC profit more than doubles as interest rates rise
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66368580?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 1:30 PM
The Bank of England, which has raised rates 13 times in a row, is expected to hike them again on Thursday.
--------------------
Women's World Cup 2023: England thrash China to reach last 16 - highlights
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/66279164?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 1:43 PM
Watch highlights as Lauren James produces a sensational performance to help England thrash China 6-1 and reach the Women's World Cup last 16.
--------------------
The Ashes 2023: Glenn McGrath pays tribute to Stuart Broad but questions ball change
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/66367005?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 12:23 PM
Stuart Broad's finale was a fitting finish to an incredible Ashes series. I'll admit 2-2 is a fair result, writes Glenn McGrath.
--------------------
Women's World Cup 2023: Lauren James scores sublime second goal - all the angles
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/66370778?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 1:05 PM
Watch all the angles of Lauren James' "sublime" second goal of the game demonstrating her "world class" ability to put England 4-1 against China at the Women's World Cup.
--------------------
Women's World Cup 2023: Esmee Brugts scores two almost identical goals
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/66370772?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 8:58 AM
Esmee Brugts scores two "sensational" almost identical 25-yard curling goals for the Netherlands during their 7-0 win over Vietnam at the Women's World Cup.
--------------------
Mark Cavendish Netflix documentary: 'I don't want anyone else to go through what I have'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/66368064?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 8:25 AM
Mark Cavendish is "still thinking" about a Tour de France comeback, but he hasn't had an easy ride to this point.
--------------------
Vietnam 0-7 Netherlands: Dutch win Group E ahead of reigning champions United States
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66369501?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 9:18 AM
The Netherlands top Group E ahead of reigning champions the United States as they thrash Vietnam in Dunedin.
--------------------
Women's World Cup 2023: Brazil legend Marta tears up when discussing her legacy
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66371581?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 9:28 AM
Brazil legend Marta is moved to tears in a news conference before what could be her 23rd and final Women's World Cup match.
--------------------
2023 Women's World Cup permutations: Who needs what in Australia and New Zealand
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66334546?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 9:20 AM
The group stages of the 2023 Fifa Women's World Cup are approaching the sharp end - and there is still plenty to be decided. Here's what each team needs in order to qualify.
--------------------
Women's World Cup 2023 score predictions: Rachel Brown-Finnis predicts the final round of group games
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66336122?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 1:25 PM
BBC Sport's football expert Rachel Brown-Finnis gives her predictions for the final round of group games at the Women's World Cup.
--------------------
What is happening to house prices, and could there be a crash?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-63147101?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
August 1, 2023, 12:47 PM
How higher interest rates are changing the UK's housing market.
--------------------
Food prices: How can I save money on my grocery shop?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61798003?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 31, 2023, 10:57 AM
The cost-of-living crisis continues to bite. Here are some things that can reduce the impact.
--------------------
Energy bills: What can I do if I can't afford to pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62435432?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 25, 2023, 8:30 AM
If you're struggling to afford your gas and electricity bills, what options are available?
--------------------
Fuel cost: How to save petrol and diesel
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61745697?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 3, 2023, 1:01 PM
With weak competition adding to fuel prices, are drivers doing the right things to save money?
--------------------
Mortgage rates: Five ways to save money
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65984415?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
June 23, 2023, 9:54 AM
With interest rates rapidly rising, what do experts say about coping with costs?
--------------------
Universal credit: Parents can claim more of their childcare costs
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66023661?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
June 28, 2023, 12:57 AM
Working families on universal credit can claim more of their childcare costs from Wednesday.
--------------------
Why inflation is falling but prices are still rising
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64290160?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 19, 2023, 7:29 AM
We report this percentage every month but here are three things you may not know.
--------------------
First time home buyers: How much can I borrow?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/65544554?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 12, 2023, 9:47 AM
With rents rising, more people are crunching the numbers to see if they can afford to buy.
--------------------
Cost-of-living payments: Who is getting them and when?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61592496?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
June 20, 2023, 8:57 AM
Low-income households, pensioners and some disabled people will get extra help with energy bills.
--------------------
UK inflation rate calculator: How much are prices rising for you?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62558817?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 19, 2023, 6:21 AM
Use our calculator to find out how much the cost of living is going up in your household.
--------------------
Cheaper train tickets: Five ways to save money
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64827711?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 27, 2023, 12:21 PM
As rail fares increase, we find the ways passengers can keep journeys as cheap as possible.
What are my rights if my flight is cancelled?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61646214?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 10, 2023, 4:04 PM
Strikes and poor weather may cause disruption at airports, but passengers do have rights.

Click here to read the complete article