From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
Subject: BBC News
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 13:56:29 +0000
 by: rslight rss feeds - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 13:56 UTC

Mortgage payments set to jump by £500 for one million households
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66172954?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 12, 2023, 1:13 PM
Bank of England says higher interest rates are yet to hit many homes but lenders are proving resilient.
--------------------
Teacher strikes: NASUWT members vote for strike action
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-66174906?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 12, 2023, 10:44 AM
The NASUWT union says it will consider going on strike in the autumn term.
--------------------
Zayn opens up about One Direction split: 'We got sick of each other'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66173761?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 12, 2023, 10:19 AM
The star discusses his time in One Direction and fatherhood in his first interview for six years.
--------------------
Wonka: Hugh Grant revealed as Oompa Loompa in new movie trailer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66172861?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 12, 2023, 9:29 AM
The film, also starring Timothée Chalamet, will tell the backstory of famous chocolatier Willy Wonka.
--------------------
Thomas Cashman: Olivia killer loses bid to fight jail sentence
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-66173484?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 12, 2023, 9:17 AM
Thomas Cashman, who shot dead schoolgirl Olivia Pratt-Korbel, is refused permission to appeal.
--------------------
Taylor Swift: Disabled fans struggle to get Eras Tour Wembley tickets
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-66166012?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 12, 2023, 8:36 AM
Wembley Stadium says the demand for accessible tickets has been "unprecedented".
--------------------
Comedian Sarah Silverman sues OpenAI and Meta
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66164228?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 12, 2023, 11:44 AM
The US comedian joins two other authors who claim their copyright was infringed to train AI systems.
--------------------
Milan Kundera, author of The Unbearable Lightness of Being, dies aged 94
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66173059?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 12, 2023, 12:50 PM
The exiled Czech-French writer used satire to explore totalitarianism and the human condition.
--------------------
Iowa's Republican legislature passes six-week abortion ban
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66178728?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 12, 2023, 1:33 PM
Iowa joins several other Midwest states in bringing new restrictions since Roe V Wade was overturned.
--------------------
South China Sea: Philippines to allow Barbie movie but wants map blurred
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-66173164?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 12, 2023, 10:16 AM
Philippine censors said they were convinced the "cartoonish" map did not depict the nine-dash line.
--------------------
BBC presenter: What is the evidence?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66170739?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 11, 2023, 9:11 PM
Ros Atkins examines four questions that relate to the initial Sun newspaper allegations.
--------------------
Tunisia migrant attacks: 'They held a knife to my throat'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-66157259?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 11, 2023, 11:00 PM
A group of teenagers held "a knife to my throat", a woman from Ivory Coast tells the BBC.
--------------------
The mega-strike that could take down Hollywood
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66140336?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 11, 2023, 11:17 PM
Actors prepare to join writers on the picket lines, shutting down TV and film productions.
--------------------
Women's World Cup: 'We're little, old Ireland & people underestimate us' - Lucy Quinn
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66056627?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 12, 2023, 7:13 AM
Republic of Ireland midfielder Lucy Quinn says she won't let this summer's "once in a career" World Cup pass her by.
--------------------
2023 Women's World Cup: Argentina aim for first win at global tournament
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65966147?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 12, 2023, 6:20 AM
Seven months after Lionel Messi and his team-mates conquered the world in Qatar, the excitement is lukewarm in Buenos Aires as Argentina prepare for the Women's World Cup.
--------------------
World Eskimo-Indian Olympics: How ripped ears are preserving a rare culture in Alaska
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/66097710?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 11, 2023, 11:01 PM
How the traditions of the hunt from hundreds of years before live on in an unusual annual sporting event in Alaska.
--------------------
When is the Women's World Cup and how can I watch it?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66112902?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 11, 2023, 10:39 AM
Everything you need to know about this summer's Fifa Women's World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.
--------------------
Joe Swash: Teenagers leaving care almost ‘set up for failure’
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66089975?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 10, 2023, 11:10 PM
The actor and TV star finds support can drop away for some teenagers leaving the care system.
--------------------
Nato membership for Ukraine a key question at Vilnius summit
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66155445?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 11, 2023, 4:03 AM
Nato is split over inviting Ukraine to join the alliance. Ukraine fears what happens if they don't.
--------------------
South Korea welcomes first panda twins
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-66172308?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 12, 2023, 2:42 AM
The moment a giant panda gave birth to twins for the first time in South Korea has been captured on camera.
--------------------
Concerns over focus on skin colour in newborn checks
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-66122394?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 11, 2023, 11:10 PM
A report questions the language used for some checks, including assessing whether the baby is "pink all over".
--------------------
New Renault-Geely engine firm to have headquarters in UK
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66172158?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 12, 2023, 4:46 AM
The deal between France's Renault and the Chinese maker of London taxis will support 19,000 jobs.
--------------------
North Korea fires intercontinental ballistic missile after threatening US
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-66172284?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 12, 2023, 4:59 AM
The launch comes after Pyongyang accused the US military of repeated air incursions.
--------------------
Student fears having to quit UK over uni marking boycott
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-66163344?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 12, 2023, 7:56 AM
Emma MacKenzie, from Canada, says she cannot renew her visa if she does not get her degree.
--------------------
Ex-Manson follower Leslie Van Houten released from prison after 53 years
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66171806?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 12, 2023, 9:52 AM
Charles Manson cult follower Leslie Van Houten was convicted in the 1969 murder of a California couple.
--------------------
Canada probes Nike, Dynasty Gold over alleged use of Uyghur forced labour
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66171702?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 12, 2023, 12:07 AM
Its ethics watchdog is also investigating a gold company over use of forced labour in China operations.
--------------------
Wimbledon 2023: Elina Svitolina says war has made her stronger after reaching semis
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/66169864?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 11, 2023, 7:32 PM
Ukrainian Elina Svitolina says war in her homeland has made her mentally stronger after she reaches a surprise Wimbledon semi-final.
--------------------
North East Ambulance Service apologises to families
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66163415?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 11, 2023, 11:12 PM
NEAS chief executive Helen Ray says sorry "for any distress" after it covered up paramedics' errors.
--------------------
Senior Tories criticise Illegal Migration Bill but MPs reject Lords changes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66168280?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 12, 2023, 7:07 AM
Theresa May leads criticism of the Illegal Migration Bill, but MPs overturn changes made by peers.
--------------------
Iceland volcano: Lava bursts through ground after intense earthquakes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66161173?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 11, 2023, 1:24 AM
An eruption has sent lava and smoke pouring on the Reykjanes peninsula following intense earthquake activity in the area.
--------------------
Gary Lineker tops star salaries list in BBC annual report
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66158179?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 11, 2023, 1:57 PM
The Match of the Day presenter made £1.35m in the year he was embroiled in an impartiality row.
--------------------
Jury rules document found in Aretha Franklin's couch is valid will
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66170679?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 11, 2023, 9:33 PM
A jury rules that a handwritten document found in Aretha Franklin's couch is a valid will to her estate.
--------------------
Royal Mail workers end long-running row over pay
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66170432?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 11, 2023, 6:14 PM
The deal to end the dispute comes after 115,000 postal workers held 18 days of strikes last year.
--------------------
Tom Holland says he felt 'enslaved' to alcohol
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66164321?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 11, 2023, 10:08 AM
The film star says he is "healthier and fitter" since deciding to quit drinking at the start of 2023.
--------------------
Wimbledon 2023: Darwin Blanch wins impressive 26-shot rally against Lorenzo Sciahbasi
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/tennis/66178058?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 12, 2023, 12:22 PM
Watch the moment USA's Darwin Blanch wins an impressive 26-shot rally against Italy's Lorenzo Sciahbasi in the Junior Men's Singles at Wimbledon.
--------------------
The Ashes: England's Sophie Ecclestone takes brilliant catch to remove Australia's Litchfield
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/cricket/66178718?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 12, 2023, 1:13 PM
England bowler Sophie Ecclestone takes a stunning one-handed catch to dismiss Australia opener Phoebe Litchfield for 34 in the first Women's Ashes ODI.
--------------------
Mortgages: What happens if I am struggling to pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63486782?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 12, 2023, 11:38 AM
Many homeowners are worried about higher mortgage costs, but lenders must help those struggling.
--------------------
Mortgage rates: Five ways to save money
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65984415?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
June 23, 2023, 9:54 AM
With interest rates rapidly rising, what do experts say about coping with costs?
--------------------
Mortgage calculator: how much will my mortgage go up?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63474582?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
June 23, 2023, 7:05 AM
Use our calculator to find out how much mortgage payments could go up for your household.
--------------------
UK inflation rate calculator: How much are prices rising for you?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62558817?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
June 21, 2023, 6:16 AM
Use our calculator to find out how much the cost of living is going up in your household.
--------------------
What is the UK inflation rate and why is it so high?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12196322?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 11, 2023, 9:20 AM
The rate at which prices are rising remains high, driven by soaring food prices.
--------------------
Hacks to help save money on your food shop
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61798003?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
June 21, 2023, 11:33 AM
The cost-of-living crisis continues to bite. Here are some things that can reduce the impact.
--------------------
Debt: What do I do if I can't afford to pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64291327?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
May 23, 2023, 2:45 PM
What help and options are available to people struggling with debt repayments?
--------------------
Rent increases: What you can do about a rise from your landlord
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63290805?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 17, 2022, 10:42 PM
The BBC's Lora Jones tells you four things you can do, if your landlord asks for more money.
--------------------
What are my rights if my flight is cancelled?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61646214?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 10, 2023, 4:04 PM
Strikes and poor weather may cause disruption at airports, but passengers do have rights.
--------------------
Cost of living: Five tips when asking for a pay rise
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64288791?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 14, 2023, 5:19 PM
Recruiters, a manager and a workplace psychologist give their advice on how to negotiate for more money.
--------------------
How to get a job: Six expert tips for finding work
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64939070?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 14, 2023, 2:29 PM
There are 10m people out of work in the UK, so if you're searching for a job you're not alone. Here are some tips on how to get started.
State pension: What is it worth and when do you get it?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53082530?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 30, 2023, 10:29 AM
The government is set to confirm the planned state pension age rise to 68 will not be brought forward.

Click here to read the complete article