From: usenet@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.news
Subject: BBC News
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 23:55:59 +0000
 by: rslight rss feeds - Mon, 3 Apr 2023 23:55 UTC

Thomas Cashman: Olivia Pratt-Korbel's killer jailed for life
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-65136356?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 5:14 PM
Olivia's mother pays tribute to her "sassy, chatty" daughter as Thomas Cashman is jailed for murder.
--------------------
Donald Trump hunkers down in New York ahead of arraignment
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65167341?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 10:20 PM
New York's mayor issued a warning to what he termed "rabble rousers" to control their "misplaced anger".
--------------------
Nigel Lawson: Reforming chancellor dies aged 91
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65167914?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 10:53 PM
Best known for his role as chancellor during the 1980s, Lord Lawson held key posts under Margaret Thatcher.
--------------------
Obituary: Nigel Lawson
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32725176?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 8:50 PM
He was one of Britain's longest-serving chancellors who presided over the 1980s economic boom.
--------------------
Darya Trepova: Russia releases video of suspect in cafe killing of Vladlen Tatarsky
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65161095?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 8:53 PM
In a video likely filmed under duress, Darya Trepova says she handed over a statuette that blew up.
--------------------
Timothy Schofield found guilty of sexually abusing boy
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-65167274?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 6:37 PM
Timothy Schofield, 54, is found guilty of 11 charges of sexual activity with a child.
--------------------
More strikes planned as teachers reject pay offer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-65037421?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 5:27 PM
Members of the National Education Union in England will strike on Thursday 27 April and Tuesday 2 May.
--------------------
Wet wipes ban planned in England to tackle water pollution
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-65166859?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 9:36 PM
The environment minister says she will ban wet wipes but critics say it barely tackles the problem.
--------------------
University strikes mandate renewed for six more months
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-65168937?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 6:17 PM
The University and College Union will consult members on new proposals, pending further action.
--------------------
Leonardo DiCaprio testifies in trial of Fugees' Pras Michel
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65158895?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 9:21 PM
Hollywood star Leonardo DiCaprio takes the stand as a witness in the trial of rapper Pras Michel.
--------------------
Scots woman dies in Turkey during gastric band op
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-65166450?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 5:23 PM
Shannon Bowe, 28, from Denny, near Falkirk, died on Saturday while undergoing weight loss surgery.
--------------------
Ros Atkins on… Why were there queues at Dover?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65169959?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 6:28 PM
The BBC's analysis editor looks at whether post-Brexit checks are to blame for Port of Dover disruption.
--------------------
Cost of living: What payments are available and how do you claim?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61592496?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 12:54 PM
Low-income households, pensioners and some disabled people can get extra help with energy bills.
--------------------
How to get a job: Six expert tips for finding work
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64939070?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 14, 2023, 2:29 PM
There are 10m people out of work in the UK, so if you're searching for a job you're not alone. Here are some tips on how to get started.
--------------------
Six tips for getting a job if you're over 50
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64625372?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 16, 2023, 11:05 AM
Recruiters and charities give their advice for anyone wanting to get back into work.
--------------------
Renting: Three ways to win the race to securing a property
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65089308?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 28, 2023, 11:14 PM
From being first in the queue to being more flexible, here are some tips on how to get ahead in the rental race.
--------------------
Cost of living: The Peterborough mosque-run food hub at Ramadan
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-65087052?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 12:58 AM
In a matter of months, a food hub in Peterborough has seen the number needing help grow seven-fold.
--------------------
Cost of living: How can I save money on my food shop?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61798003?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
July 5, 2022, 12:40 PM
The cost-of-living crisis continues to bite. Here are some things that can reduce the impact.
--------------------
Food prices: How the humble shopping list is saving us money
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65103377?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 2, 2023, 12:41 AM
Soaring food prices mean some families are missing meals and desperate for deals, but preparation can help.
--------------------
Rent prices: How much have they gone up in your area?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65103937?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 28, 2023, 11:30 PM
Use our interactive tool to find out what the average rent is in your area.
--------------------
What is happening to house prices, and could there be a crash?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-63147101?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 31, 2023, 9:02 AM
How are rising interest rates changing the housing market around the UK?
--------------------
Cost of living: What do I do if I can't afford to pay my debts?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64291327?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 8, 2023, 9:44 PM
What help and options are available to people struggling with debt repayments?
--------------------
Four changes to energy bills support from April
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65091341?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 30, 2023, 11:58 PM
Colletta Smith tells you - in one minute - about changes to the discounts and payments available.
--------------------
Council tax: What is it and how much is it rising?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55765504?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 30, 2023, 1:28 PM
Millions of households across the UK will see a sharp increase in council tax bills in April.
--------------------
Exhausting, costly, miserable: My search to rent a one-bed flat
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64625435?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
February 16, 2023, 2:16 AM
Lorna Acquah's search to find a rental flat was filled with long queues, bidding wars and greasy kitchens.
--------------------
State pension: What is it worth and when do you get it?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53082530?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 30, 2023, 10:29 AM
The government is set to confirm the planned state pension age rise to 68 will not be brought forward.
--------------------
'It's tougher than ever to be a comedian'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65038562?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 29, 2023, 5:19 AM
Stand-ups share what it is like to make a living - and make people laugh - amid a cost of living crisis.
--------------------
Rent increases: What you can do about a rise from your landlord
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63290805?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
October 17, 2022, 10:42 PM
The BBC's Lora Jones tells you four things you can do, if your landlord asks for more money.
--------------------
Cost of living: What are your rights as a tenant when you're renting?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65038459?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 26, 2023, 11:05 PM
With one in five people now renting in the UK, it's important to understand your rights as a tenant.
--------------------
What is the UK inflation rate and why is the cost of living rising?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12196322?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 23, 2023, 1:49 PM
The rate at which prices are rising has jumped again, driven by soaring food prices.
--------------------
Mortgages: What happens if I miss a payment?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63486782?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 23, 2023, 1:17 PM
Homeowners are worried about higher mortgage costs, but lenders must help those struggling.
--------------------
Energy bills: What can I do if I can't afford to pay?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62435432?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
February 3, 2023, 1:45 PM
If you're struggling to afford your gas and electricity bills, what options are available?
--------------------
UK interest rates: What the rise means for you
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57764601?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
March 23, 2023, 12:20 PM
The Bank of England has raised the rate from 4% to 4.25%, creating higher mortgage costs.
--------------------
Mortgage calculator: how much will my mortgage go up?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63474582?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
November 3, 2022, 10:47 AM
Use our calculator to find out how much mortgage payments could go up for your household.
--------------------
Trump arraignment: Private plane, agents, protests expected on journey
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65165590?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 9:52 PM
A widely-tracked flight from Florida to New York preceded the former US president's appearance in court.
--------------------
What we know about blogger killing accused
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65161900?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 4:05 PM
Darya Trepova seems to be an opponent of the invasion, but friends say she was not radical.
--------------------
Why was my neighbour's body not found for two years?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65055405?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 12:32 AM
Residents are thinking of suing a housing association after efforts to raise the alarm were ignored.
--------------------
Teacher strikes: What parents need to know
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-64228696?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
January 16, 2023, 5:14 PM
Schools in England could close as more teacher strikes are announced.
--------------------
World's deepest fish: Expedition chief on how video was filmed
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-65163939?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 11:46 AM
Scientist Alan Jamieson explains how his team captured footage 8,336m (27,349ft) under water.
--------------------
Afghanistan: Rounded up from the streets into Taliban drug rehab
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-65138423?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 12:27 AM
Afghanistan's government is running an aggressive campaign to remove drug users from the streets.
--------------------
When are passport office strikes and is there time to renew?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64987824?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 8:45 AM
How will the strike by Passport Office workers affect passport renewals?
--------------------
Olivier Awards: Sir Derek Jacobi warns of 'elitist' theatre ticket prices
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65160984?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 11:23 AM
The star, who picked up an Olivier honour on Sunday, says he's "shocked" by some West End tickets.
--------------------
Lightning storm illuminates skies above Illinois
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65163579?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 10:27 AM
The phenomenon was seen just days after a series of tornadoes ripped through several US states, including Illinois.
--------------------
Olivier Awards: Seven things we learned at the ceremony
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65158815?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 2:39 AM
Was Hannah Waddingham a success as host, and why did Beverley Knight compare herself to John Cleese?
--------------------
The talent spotter who signed Madonna and Talking Heads
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65160979?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 8:38 AM
Seymour Stein was regarded as one of the most legendary talent spotters in the music business.
--------------------
Lewis Capaldi: How success affected his mental health
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-65063693?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 5:17 AM
A new Netflix show looks at the pressure he put himself under to produce a second successful album.
--------------------
The other Chinese apps taking the US and UK by storm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65072407?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 12:52 AM
Four out of the top 10 most downloaded free mobile apps in the US and UK are Chinese-owned.
--------------------
From Beyoncé to Harry Styles: Why stars are choosing stadiums over arenas
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65099480?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 12:57 AM
Beyoncé, Harry Styles and Arctic Monkeys are all embarking on summer stadium tours in the UK.
--------------------
Formula 1: The women driving motor racing forward
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-65115666?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 1:03 AM
What is it like to be a woman at the cutting edge of Formula 1?
--------------------
Mexico migrant centre fire: 'They didn't deserve to die this way'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-65148023?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 1:05 AM
There is growing outrage over a fire which killed at least 39 people at a migrant centre in Mexico.
--------------------
Tesco boss won't predict when food price inflation will ease
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65100968?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 2, 2023, 11:03 PM
John Allan says the firm is "doing its bit" to help customers cope with high inflation.
--------------------
Teachers’ strike dates: When and where are schools affected?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-63283289?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 12:14 PM
More strikes have been announced after teachers in England rejected the government's new pay offer.
--------------------
Would you open up to a chatbot therapist?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65110680?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 2, 2023, 11:06 PM
AI-powered chatbots are now sophisticated enough that they are starting to be used for therapy.
--------------------
The Papers: Sunak on 'woke politics' and a big win for Comer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-65158733?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 4:20 AM
Monday's papers focus on the PM's plans to tackle grooming gangs - and Jodie Comer's Olivier Award.
--------------------
Everton 1-1 Tottenham: Michael Keane stunner cancels out Harry Kane penalty
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65084110?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 9:46 PM
Michael Keane scores a stunning long-range strike to salvage a Premier League draw for Everton against Tottenham in a game that saw both sides finish with 10 men.
--------------------
IPL 2023: England's Moeen Ali takes 4-26 as Chennai Super Kings beat Lucknow Super Giants
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/65168691?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 6:36 PM
Chennai Super Kings bounce back from their opening-game IPL defeat to beat Lucknow Super Giants by 12 runs.
--------------------
Masters 2023: Open champion Cam Smith says 'important' for LIV golfers to play well at Augusta
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/65170887?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 10:03 PM
LIV Golf players need to play well at the Masters this week to to stamp out the notion "they don't play real golf", says Open champion Cam Smith.
--------------------
Gianluigi Lentini: The rise and fall of the world's most expensive player
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65116702?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 11:04 PM
A spectacular untamed talent, Gianluigi Lentini became the most expensive player in the world in 1992. But lust, luck and a determination to live life to his own rules derailed his top-level career.
--------------------
Chelsea: 'Difficult 24 hours' after Graham Potter sacking - Bruno Saltor
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65165891?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 8:46 PM
Chelsea interim boss Bruno Saltor says it has been a "difficult 24 hours for all of us" after Graham Potter's sacking.
--------------------
Match of the Day Top 10: Gary Lineker relives Barcelona hat-trick against Real Madrid
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/65042458?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 3:27 PM
Gary Lineker explains why the referee refused to give away the El Clasico match ball as he relives his hat-trick against Real Madrid.
World Snooker Championship: Stan Moody, 16, wins in first round of qualifying
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/65170704?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA
April 3, 2023, 10:46 PM
Stan Moody, 16, earns the first of four wins needed to reach the World Championship with victory in the first round of qualifying.

Click here to read the complete article