From: news@zzo38computer.org.invalid
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Subject: Problem with ``` in Gemini
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 12:14:50 -0800
 by: news@zzo38computer.org.invalid - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 20:14 UTC

Something that I think is a flaw in the Gemini specification is that it
cannot make a preformatting block containing a line with ``` at first.

One way to fix this is to allow preformatting starting with more than
three back ticks and if so then the end also has the same number of back
ticks; this means that it must keep track of how many back ticks, instead
of merely on/off, only.

Usually, most files will not need this, but sometimes it might be needed.

--
Don't laugh at the moon when it is day time in France.

Re: Problem with ``` in Gemini

<stunar$lvl$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=157&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#157

From: david@arch.invalid (David)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Subject: Re: Problem with ``` in Gemini
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 22:28:59 +0100
 by: David - Tue, 8 Feb 2022 21:28 UTC

On 08/02/2022 21:14, news@zzo38computer.org.invalid wrote:
> Something that I think is a flaw in the Gemini specification is that it
> cannot make a preformatting block containing a line with ``` at first.
>
> One way to fix this is to allow preformatting starting with more than
> three back ticks and if so then the end also has the same number of back
> ticks

Nice catch. This issue also isn't yet covered in the discussion of the
BNF. I like your proposition of using more ticks when needed (similar to
CommonMark). It would mean to loosen the spec, though:

| It is possible to unambiguously determine a line's type purely by
inspecting its first three characters.

Thus, from a practical point of view, my personal approach would be to
work around in editing and indent the whole preformatted text by a fixed
set of spaces (and mention this in the alt-text).

Alternatively offer the preformatted content as an extra text/plain file
or the whole content in a different format, altogether.

As an aside: Should gemtext support its line types within > quote lines?
Again, personally, I'd prefer sticking to the "first three char" rule.

Cheers

Refs
* https://gemini.circumlunar.space/docs/specification.gmi
* https://gitlab.com/gemini-specification/gemini-text/-/issues/7
* https://spec.commonmark.org/0.30/#fenced-code-blocks
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDATA

(NB: XML CDATA sections work around ]]> by closing and reopening.)