If the code and the comments disagree, then both are probably wrong. -- Norm Schryer

devel / comp.infosystems.gemini / Re: Well hello gemini

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Well hello geminiChristian Seibold
+* Re: Well hello geminiBen
|`* Re: Well hello geminiChristian Seibold
| +* Re: Well hello geminiDan Purgert
| |`* Re: Well hello geminiChristian Seibold
| | `- Re: Well hello geminiDan Purgert
| `- Re: Well hello geminiAndy Burns
`* Re: Well hello geminiP. Case
 `- Re: Well hello geminiChristian Seibold

1
Re: Well hello gemini

<68eaa37e-8114-2962-24a2-472c4ce03e6e@mailbox.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=2&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#2

From: krixano@mailbox.org (Christian Seibold)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Subject: Re: Well hello gemini
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 06:47:32 -0600
 by: Christian Seibold - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 12:47 UTC

On 10/26/2021 12:44 PM, Kévin wrote:
> It looks like the new usenet group has been set-up. Is there anybody
> else lurking around here ?
>
> -Kévin
>
> ---
> gemini://oh.mg

Hello Everyone!
This is my first time using Usenet/NNTP ever, so I'm not sure if I'm
doing this correctly (in fact, it's my second attempt at sending a
message, lol).

Re: Well hello gemini

<squs0a$8da$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=3&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#3

From: benk@tilde.team (Ben)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 16:29:54 +0330
 by: Ben - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 12:59 UTC

On 1/3/22 16:17, Christian Seibold wrote:
> This is my first time using Usenet/NNTP ever, so I'm not sure if I'm
> doing this correctly (in fact, it's my second attempt at sending a
> message, lol).

I got your message! Did you get mine? >_>

--
gemini://kwiecien.us/

Re: Well hello gemini

<squspu$kln$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=4&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#4

From: krixano@mailbox.org (Christian Seibold)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 07:13:34 -0600
 by: Christian Seibold - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 13:13 UTC

On 1/3/2022 6:59 AM, Ben wrote:
> On 1/3/22 16:17, Christian Seibold wrote:
>> This is my first time using Usenet/NNTP ever, so I'm not sure if I'm
>> doing this correctly (in fact, it's my second attempt at sending a
>> message, lol).
>
> I got your message! Did you get mine? >_>

Yep! I'm still learning how to do this stuff in Thunderbird. There's a
followup which will automatically put in the newsgroup, but it doesn't
put in the followup-to reply email address, it seems. And Reply puts in
the reply to, but not the newsgroup. It's odd.

Re: Well hello gemini

<slrnst5vjq.2n7.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=5&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#5

From: dan@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 13:47:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 13:47 UTC

Christian Seibold wrote:
> On 1/3/2022 6:59 AM, Ben wrote:
>> On 1/3/22 16:17, Christian Seibold wrote:
>>> This is my first time using Usenet/NNTP ever, so I'm not sure if I'm
>>> doing this correctly (in fact, it's my second attempt at sending a
>>> message, lol).
>>
>> I got your message! Did you get mine? >_>
>>

> Yep! I'm still learning how to do this stuff in Thunderbird. There's a
> followup which will automatically put in the newsgroup, but it doesn't
> put in the followup-to reply email address, it seems. And Reply puts in
> the reply to, but not the newsgroup. It's odd.

The "Followup-To" header is akin to an email "Reply-To" header. That is,
it's a "special" indicator that's used to redirect replies ("Followups"
in Usenet parlance) away from what the "defaults" would otherwise
indicate.

In an email, you'd have something like this

| From: noreply@company.com
| To: user@email.com

Such that if "user@email.com" hit "reply" in their mail client, the
email would be sent to "info@company.com" instead of "noreply".

Usenet is similar, although instead of indicating an email address you
want someone to reply to, you are indicating which newsgroup you want to
read their reply in. For example, let's say I was asking for a good
Gemini server to run on a Linux VM. My initial headers would be:

| Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini,alt.os.linux
| From: ( me :) )
| Subject: Looking for a Gemini server to run on Debian

Which will send my initial message to BOTH groups, but anyone responding
would only be sending their message to the alt.os.linux newsgroup,
instead of both.

HTH :)

--
|_|O|_| Github: https://github.com/dpurgert
|_|_|O| PGP: DDAB 23FB 19FA 7D85 1CC1 E067 6D65 70E5 4CE7 2860

Re: Well hello gemini

<j3gd84Faf0aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=6&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#6

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 13:49:54 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 13:49 UTC

Christian Seibold wrote:

> I'm still learning how to do this stuff in Thunderbird. There's a followup which
> will automatically put in the newsgroup, but it doesn't put in the followup-to
> reply email address, it seems. And Reply puts in the reply to, but not the
> newsgroup. It's odd.

My recommendation on that ... ignore the reply button(s) in the lower message
pane toolbar, just use the buttons in the top program toolbar

In fact, use the "Message Header Toolbar Customise" add-on to completely hide
that waste of screen space ...

Re: Well hello gemini

<squvgq$3k8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=7&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#7

From: krixano@mailbox.org (Christian Seibold)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 07:59:53 -0600
 by: Christian Seibold - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 13:59 UTC

On 1/3/2022 7:47 AM, Dan Purgert wrote:
> Christian Seibold wrote:
>>>
>>> I got your message! Did you get mine? >_>
>>>

>> Yep! I'm still learning how to do this stuff in Thunderbird. There's a
>> followup which will automatically put in the newsgroup, but it doesn't
>> put in the followup-to reply email address, it seems. And Reply puts in
>> the reply to, but not the newsgroup. It's odd.
>
> The "Followup-To" header is akin to an email "Reply-To" header. That is,
> it's a "special" indicator that's used to redirect replies ("Followups"
> in Usenet parlance) away from what the "defaults" would otherwise
> indicate.
>
> In an email, you'd have something like this
>
> | From: noreply@company.com
> | To: user@email.com
>

> Such that if "user@email.com" hit "reply" in their mail client, the
> email would be sent to "info@company.com" instead of "noreply".
>
> Usenet is similar, although instead of indicating an email address you
> want someone to reply to, you are indicating which newsgroup you want to
> read their reply in. For example, let's say I was asking for a good
> Gemini server to run on a Linux VM. My initial headers would be:
>
> | Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini,alt.os.linux
> | From: ( me :) )
> | Subject: Looking for a Gemini server to run on Debian
>

> Which will send my initial message to BOTH groups, but anyone responding
> would only be sending their message to the alt.os.linux newsgroup,
> instead of both.
>

> HTH :)

I think the other thing I was missing was that there seems to be a
"References" header thing that seems to tell which reply you are
replying to, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, thanks! That definitely helps. The Followup-To thing is really
interesting.

Re: Well hello gemini

<slrnst61af.s8i.dan@djph.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=8&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#8

From: dan@djph.net (Dan Purgert)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 14:16:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Purgert - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 14:16 UTC

--
|_|O|_| Github: https://github.com/dpurgert
|_|_|O| PGP: DDAB 23FB 19FA 7D85 1CC1 E067 6D65 70E5 4CE7 2860
|O|O|O|

Re: Well hello gemini

<sqvn43$1s2fl$1@news.mixmin.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=11&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#11

From: casep@h0tma1L.com (P. Case)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 14:42:41 -0600
 by: P. Case - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 20:42 UTC

On 1/3/22 6:47 AM, Christian Seibold wrote:
> On 10/26/2021 12:44 PM, Kévin wrote:
>> It looks like the new usenet group has been set-up.  Is there anybody
>> else lurking around here ?
>>
>> -Kévin
>>
>> ---
>> gemini://oh.mg
>
> Hello Everyone!
> This is my first time using Usenet/NNTP ever, so I'm not sure if I'm
> doing this correctly (in fact, it's my second attempt at sending a
> message, lol).

You're holdin' up might steady so far, whipper-snapper.

Welcome to the past!

Re: Well hello gemini

<sqvshb$rnn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=12&group=comp.infosystems.gemini#12

From: krixano@mailbox.org (Christian Seibold)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.gemini
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 16:15:07 -0600
 by: Christian Seibold - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 22:15 UTC

On 1/3/2022 2:42 PM, P. Case wrote:
> On 1/3/22 6:47 AM, Christian Seibold wrote:
>> On 10/26/2021 12:44 PM, Kévin wrote:
>>> It looks like the new usenet group has been set-up.  Is there anybody
>>> else lurking around here ?
>>>
>>> -Kévin
>>>
>>> ---
>>> gemini://oh.mg
>>
>> Hello Everyone!
>> This is my first time using Usenet/NNTP ever, so I'm not sure if I'm
>> doing this correctly (in fact, it's my second attempt at sending a
>> message, lol).
>
> You're holdin' up might steady so far, whipper-snapper.
>
> Welcome to the past!

Thanks! I think I'm starting to get the hang of this.