From: retroguy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Subject: NoCeM down for a while Mon morning
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 06:41:27 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:41 UTC

It looks like my main nntp server lost it's connection to my spamassassin server early on 23, Oct.

It's connected again, but a lot of spam got through. I've cleaned some up and will be monitoring.

--
Retro Guy

Re: NoCeM down for a while Mon morning

<20231023101118.ba872f34daf9e4a1c9b57023@novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=1057&group=rocksolid.nodes#1057

From: retroguy@novabbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Subject: Re: NoCeM down for a while Mon morning
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 10:11:18 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 17:11 UTC

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 06:41:27 -0700
Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.com> wrote:

> It looks like my main nntp server lost it's connection to my spamassassin server early on 23, Oct.
>
> It's connected again, but a lot of spam got through. I've cleaned some up and will be monitoring.

Seems to be working ok. There will be some spam as I have made a lot of changes to the scoring to avoid false positives. I monitor spam in just a few groups (manually) and send a NoCeM to delete them, but some will get through.

Also, just fixed a minor bug in scoring that was causing some false positives. Since then, as I review the spam, I don't see any. Let's hope the false positives are kept to a minimum.

I may start applying NoCeM from others, but as of yet I do not. It's hard to tweak the filter if another server is deleting (not really deleting, but sending NoCeM) the messages.

--
Retro Guy

Re: NoCeM down for a while Mon morning

<3d8fda6dca055ee16d5ca9c4fd508e40@rocksolidbbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=1058&group=rocksolid.nodes#1058

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 12:24:12 +0000
From: retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
 by: Retro Guy - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 12:24 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 06:41:27 -0700
> Retro Guy <retroguy@novabbs.com> wrote:

>> It looks like my main nntp server lost it's connection to my spamassassin server early on 23, Oct.
>>
>> It's connected again, but a lot of spam got through. I've cleaned some up and will be monitoring.

> Seems to be working ok. There will be some spam as I have made a lot of changes to the scoring to avoid false positives. I monitor spam in just a few groups (manually) and send a NoCeM to delete them, but some will get through.

> Also, just fixed a minor bug in scoring that was causing some false positives. Since then, as I review the spam, I don't see any. Let's hope the false positives are kept to a minimum.

> I may start applying NoCeM from others, but as of yet I do not. It's hard to tweak the filter if another server is deleting (not really deleting, but sending NoCeM) the messages.

I'm thinking I may just not apply NoCeMs for now. I have not been, and see no real reason to start (for now).

Yesterday's spam number: 112,265 messaged blocked at the server. It seems the quantity has doubled over the last week or two.

--
Retro Guy