21 May, 2024: Computers section is temporarily disabled for maintenance. It will take several days before it's back.

devel / comp.lang.prolog / Lets make 2022 the year of Garbage Collection

SubjectAuthor
* Lets make 2022 the year of Garbage CollectionMostowski Collapse
`* Re: Lets make 2022 the year of Garbage CollectionMostowski Collapse
 `* Re: Lets make 2022 the year of Garbage CollectionMostowski Collapse
  `* Re: Lets make 2022 the year of Garbage CollectionMostowski Collapse
   `* Re: Lets make 2022 the year of Garbage CollectionMostowski Collapse
    `* Re: Lets make 2022 the year of Garbage CollectionMostowski Collapse
     `- Re: Lets make 2022 the year of Garbage CollectionMostowski Collapse

1
Lets make 2022 the year of Garbage Collection

<aa2717d5-bb8b-4c54-8342-cf9eaa83f2b7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=963&group=comp.lang.prolog#963

Newsgroups: comp.lang.prolog
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 06:14:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Lets make 2022 the year of Garbage Collection
From: bursejan@gmail.com (Mostowski Collapse)
 by: Mostowski Collapse - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 13:14 UTC

There are two approaches to garbage collection
in Prolog systems right now:

- We dont have garbage collection:
Ehm, oh, we didn't have time to implement garbage
collection. We were up to our nose in the mud of
implementing built-ins and get top-level/consult running.

- We have garbage collection, but we don't tell you its achilles heel:
Yeah, we have garbage collection. And we can show
you some hand picked benchmark. And everything looks
brilliantly fine, implying we are better than those without.

So what will be the task for 2022. Well do some
better testing!

Re: Lets make 2022 the year of Garbage Collection

<b1da54dd-be3d-4d20-89fc-b040ab2bceccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=964&group=comp.lang.prolog#964

Newsgroups: comp.lang.prolog
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 06:39:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Lets make 2022 the year of Garbage Collection
From: bursejan@gmail.com (Mostowski Collapse)
 by: Mostowski Collapse - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 13:39 UTC

For example this test case seems to test anything else
than garbage collection. Mostlikely it only tests term/variable
representation size and a litte garbage collection:

Out of memory with meta-interpreter #281
https://github.com/infradig/trealla/issues/281#issuecomment-950251166

Concerning SWI-Prolog, try an example that fills the local stack.
The above has no binary rules , i.e. clauses with two goals. There
is one, but the first goal is a fact, so its still not really binary.

Try in SWI-Prolog an example with binary recursion, and where
you don’t reach the end of the clauses so early. Also despite the
seemingly complex look of the example, there seems to be not

much term construction going on, it rather looks to me that most
of it is unification based term destruction which usually does
not create so much garbage.

Mostowski Collapse schrieb am Dienstag, 26. Oktober 2021 um 15:14:29 UTC+2:
> There are two approaches to garbage collection
> in Prolog systems right now:
>
> - We dont have garbage collection:
> Ehm, oh, we didn't have time to implement garbage
> collection. We were up to our nose in the mud of
> implementing built-ins and get top-level/consult running.
>
> - We have garbage collection, but we don't tell you its achilles heel:
> Yeah, we have garbage collection. And we can show
> you some hand picked benchmark. And everything looks
> brilliantly fine, implying we are better than those without.
>
> So what will be the task for 2022. Well do some
> better testing!

Re: Lets make 2022 the year of Garbage Collection

<727b405d-0f4a-4731-a114-106acfccb58dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=965&group=comp.lang.prolog#965

Newsgroups: comp.lang.prolog
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 06:41:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: bursejan@gmail.com (Mostowski Collapse)
 by: Mostowski Collapse - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 13:41 UTC

For example Peano factorial has two binary rules. The Peano
factorial example is also heavy on term creation, since it
creates very long Peano numbers, actually in the n-the

solution a term of size n!. So it puts quite some pressure
on any garbage collection.

Mostowski Collapse schrieb am Dienstag, 26. Oktober 2021 um 15:39:50 UTC+2:
> For example this test case seems to test anything else
> than garbage collection. Mostlikely it only tests term/variable
> representation size and a litte garbage collection:
>
> Out of memory with meta-interpreter #281
> https://github.com/infradig/trealla/issues/281#issuecomment-950251166
>
> Concerning SWI-Prolog, try an example that fills the local stack.
> The above has no binary rules , i.e. clauses with two goals. There
> is one, but the first goal is a fact, so its still not really binary.
>
> Try in SWI-Prolog an example with binary recursion, and where
> you don’t reach the end of the clauses so early. Also despite the
> seemingly complex look of the example, there seems to be not
>
> much term construction going on, it rather looks to me that most
> of it is unification based term destruction which usually does
> not create so much garbage.
> Mostowski Collapse schrieb am Dienstag, 26. Oktober 2021 um 15:14:29 UTC+2:
> > There are two approaches to garbage collection
> > in Prolog systems right now:
> >
> > - We dont have garbage collection:
> > Ehm, oh, we didn't have time to implement garbage
> > collection. We were up to our nose in the mud of
> > implementing built-ins and get top-level/consult running.
> >
> > - We have garbage collection, but we don't tell you its achilles heel:
> > Yeah, we have garbage collection. And we can show
> > you some hand picked benchmark. And everything looks
> > brilliantly fine, implying we are better than those without.
> >
> > So what will be the task for 2022. Well do some
> > better testing!

Re: Lets make 2022 the year of Garbage Collection

<bc47ce86-46d5-4c67-b202-380f7f81ac52n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=969&group=comp.lang.prolog#969

Newsgroups: comp.lang.prolog
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 05:08:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: bursejan@gmail.com (Mostowski Collapse)
 by: Mostowski Collapse - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 12:08 UTC

Currently I am having fun with an AMD Ryzen. The benchmarks
I am running are all on GitHub. I tested single threaded:

- Core Test
https://github.com/jburse/jekejeke-samples/tree/master/jekrun_bench/core

- Occurs Check Test
https://github.com/jburse/jekejeke-samples/tree/master/jekrun_bench/occurs

- CLP(FD) Test
https://github.com/jburse/jekejeke-samples/tree/master/jekmin_bench/clpfd

- CLP(B) Test
https://github.com/jburse/jekejeke-samples/tree/master/jekmin_bench/clpb

It turns out that there is something strange going on. In constraint
programming Jekejeke is more Ryzen friendly.

Mostowski Collapse schrieb am Dienstag, 26. Oktober 2021 um 15:41:46 UTC+2:
> For example Peano factorial has two binary rules. The Peano
> factorial example is also heavy on term creation, since it
> creates very long Peano numbers, actually in the n-the
>
> solution a term of size n!. So it puts quite some pressure
> on any garbage collection.
> Mostowski Collapse schrieb am Dienstag, 26. Oktober 2021 um 15:39:50 UTC+2:
> > For example this test case seems to test anything else
> > than garbage collection. Mostlikely it only tests term/variable
> > representation size and a litte garbage collection:
> >
> > Out of memory with meta-interpreter #281
> > https://github.com/infradig/trealla/issues/281#issuecomment-950251166
> >
> > Concerning SWI-Prolog, try an example that fills the local stack.
> > The above has no binary rules , i.e. clauses with two goals. There
> > is one, but the first goal is a fact, so its still not really binary.
> >
> > Try in SWI-Prolog an example with binary recursion, and where
> > you don’t reach the end of the clauses so early. Also despite the
> > seemingly complex look of the example, there seems to be not
> >
> > much term construction going on, it rather looks to me that most
> > of it is unification based term destruction which usually does
> > not create so much garbage.
> > Mostowski Collapse schrieb am Dienstag, 26. Oktober 2021 um 15:14:29 UTC+2:
> > > There are two approaches to garbage collection
> > > in Prolog systems right now:
> > >
> > > - We dont have garbage collection:
> > > Ehm, oh, we didn't have time to implement garbage
> > > collection. We were up to our nose in the mud of
> > > implementing built-ins and get top-level/consult running.
> > >
> > > - We have garbage collection, but we don't tell you its achilles heel:
> > > Yeah, we have garbage collection. And we can show
> > > you some hand picked benchmark. And everything looks
> > > brilliantly fine, implying we are better than those without.
> > >
> > > So what will be the task for 2022. Well do some
> > > better testing!

Re: Lets make 2022 the year of Garbage Collection

<e79c4eed-ab55-4f51-acd2-1b1de47edc12n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=970&group=comp.lang.prolog#970

Newsgroups: comp.lang.prolog
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 05:10:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: bursejan@gmail.com (Mostowski Collapse)
 by: Mostowski Collapse - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 12:10 UTC

Datawise I got this strange thingy, smaller percentage is better:

core occurs clpfd clpb
jekejeke 89% 92% 81% 85%
swi 82% 82% 85% 90%

The test results are seen graphically here:

Intel Skylake vs AMD Ryzen the Prolog Battle (Jekejeke)
https://twitter.com/dogelogch/status/1453693429758713856

Intel Skylake vs AMD Ryzen the Prolog Battle (Jekejeke)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/dogelog

We are now planning to make a real multi-threading test as well. We
have multi-threading benchmarks, but we need to massage them a little
before we can provide results. This will possibly provide more valuable insights.

<5478d716-ea1a-4f9f-be76-fc964227ad97n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=986&group=comp.lang.prolog#986

Newsgroups: comp.lang.prolog
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 14:56:33 -0800 (PST)
From: bursejan@gmail.com (Mostowski Collapse)
 by: Mostowski Collapse - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 22:56 UTC

We also tested a new machine built with 10nm SuperFin.
The speed-up is impressive, 65% and not only 85%:

Intel Skylake vs Generation 11 the Prolog Battle (Jekejeke)
https://twitter.com/dogelogch/status/1458021043910717444

But again only a single threaded test. Stay tuned
for upcoming multi threaded tests.

<6c0c1b69-efac-44e5-bf49-8c950f2b5de4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=987&group=comp.lang.prolog#987

Newsgroups: comp.lang.prolog
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 15:07:46 -0800 (PST)
From: bursejan@gmail.com (Mostowski Collapse)
 by: Mostowski Collapse - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 23:07 UTC

Actually I wanted first to test something else, a Windows
Surface with a hybrid architecture. But it was out of shelf.

Anyway my 10nm SuperFin testing is already outdated,
since Alder Lake is on the horizon, and it is a hybrid architecture!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alder_Lake_%28microprocessor%29

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterogeneous_computing

Interesting. Maybe can complete my initial testing idea
by getting hold of such a new machine?