Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be SHOT AGAIN!

devel / comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects / Re: string

SubjectAuthor
* stringaurora baccio
+* Re: stringWolfgang Riedmann
|`- Re: stringaurora baccio
`- Re: stringKarl-Heinz

1
string

<29a74e7b-80b2-4dd6-ae3c-8708e0a30403n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=954&group=comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects#954

Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 06:52:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: string
From: aurorabaccio@gmail.com (aurora baccio)
 by: aurora baccio - Mon, 18 Oct 2021 13:52 UTC

good morning.
unknown grammar
My habit in creating string variables is as follows :
local cVariable := "" as string
You always propose me instead of string string2psz.
I would like to know the difference and the usefulness in using one or the other.
If I search in the help I don't understand the differences.
thanks
Aurora Baccio

Re: string

<it799cFo4ocU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=955&group=comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects#955

From: wriedmann@gmail.com (Wolfgang Riedmann)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects
Subject: Re: string
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 09:09:31 +0200
 by: Wolfgang Riedmann - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 07:09 UTC

Buon giorno Aurora,

the "normal" variable type to use in VO is "string".

C/C++, the language in which Windows is written, does not knows that
datatype.
In these languages (and some more) a string is defined as a sequence of
bytes terminated by a byte with the value of 0 (zero).
This datatype exists also in VO, and is called "PSZ" - a Pointer to a
String terminated with Zero.

So, if you have to interface with the Windows API you cannot use a
string, but you have to use a PSZ.

The function "String2PSZ()" does exactly what it says:
a memory part is allocated, and string content is copied there, and
terminated with a zero byte. The a pointer to this memory allocation is
returned, and this can be passed to the Windows API call.
If the function/method ends, the memory is released to the OS.

Wolfgang

--

Re: string

<it827iFsoukU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=957&group=comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects#957

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Karl-Heinz)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 16:11:26 +0200
 by: Karl-Heinz - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 14:11 UTC

Hi Aurora,

in addition to what Wolfgang wrote: I´m using 2.8 SP3 where some VO
functions use a PSZ instead of a STRING declaration.

e.g.

_DLL FUNCTION DirMake (pszDir AS PSZ) AS INT PASCAL:VO28RUN.DirMake

To make the compiler happy you should use String2Psz() in such cases.

DirMake ( String2Psz ( cDirName) )

regards
Karl-Heinz

Re: string

<414492f5-940d-4e79-8b42-882c215977d4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=958&group=comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects#958

Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 09:48:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: aurorabaccio@gmail.com (aurora baccio)
 by: aurora baccio - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 16:48 UTC

Il giorno martedì 19 ottobre 2021 alle 09:09:35 UTC+2 Wolfgang Riedmann ha scritto:
> Buon giorno Aurora,
>
> the "normal" variable type to use in VO is "string".
>
> C/C++, the language in which Windows is written, does not knows that
> datatype.
> In these languages (and some more) a string is defined as a sequence of
> bytes terminated by a byte with the value of 0 (zero).
> This datatype exists also in VO, and is called "PSZ" - a Pointer to a
> String terminated with Zero.
>
> So, if you have to interface with the Windows API you cannot use a
> string, but you have to use a PSZ.
>
> The function "String2PSZ()" does exactly what it says:
> a memory part is allocated, and string content is copied there, and
> terminated with a zero byte. The a pointer to this memory allocation is
> returned, and this can be passed to the Windows API call.
> If the function/method ends, the memory is released to the OS.
>
> Wolfgang
> aurora baccio wrote:
>
> > good morning.
> > unknown grammar
> > My habit in creating string variables is as follows :
> > local cVariable := "" as string
> > You always propose me instead of string string2psz.
> > I would like to know the difference and the usefulness in using one
> > or the other. If I search in the help I don't understand the
> > differences. thanks
> > Aurora Baccio
> --
thanks