We'll pivot at warp 2 and bring all tubes to bear, Mr. Sulu!

devel / comp.lang.ada / Hi guys! I've been inactive for a long time but now started to develop a hobby application. I found a strange behaviour with gdb. Locally renaming a function S in order to shorten the source code visits cygwin.S during execution. thie is very awkwae

SubjectAuthor
* Hi guys! I've been inactive for a long time but now started toPetter
+- Re: Hi guys! I've been inactive for a long time but now started toPetter
`* Re: Hi guys! I've been inactive for a long time but now started toNiklas Holsti
 +* Re: Hi guys! I've been inactive for a long time but now started to develop a hobSimon Wright

1
Hi guys! I've been inactive for a long time but now started to develop a hobby application. I found a strange behaviour with gdb. Locally renaming a function S in order to shorten the source code visits cygwin.S during execution. thie is very awkwae

<af1df9d8-261b-43be-b190-98ee0fa67ad1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=9507&group=comp.lang.ada#9507

Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 07:20:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Hi guys! I've been inactive for a long time but now started to
From: petter_fryklund@hotmail.com (Petter)
 by: Petter - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 14:20 UTC

Also, is there a better way to create a post?

Regards,
Petter

Re: Hi guys! I've been inactive for a long time but now started to develop a hobby application. I found a strange behaviour with gdb. Locally renaming a function S in order to shorten the source code visits cygwin.S during execution. thie is very awk

<cc00a97b-d867-4d8b-afca-7f17201a3e99n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=9508&group=comp.lang.ada#9508

Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 07:31:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: petter_fryklund@hotmail.com (Petter)
 by: Petter - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 14:31 UTC

I've found that locally naming arguments to procedures or functions s can also cause this problem.

Re: Hi guys! I've been inactive for a long time but now started to develop a hobby application. I found a strange behaviour with gdb. Locally renaming a function S in order to shorten the source code visits cygwin.S during execution. thie is very awkwae

<ka55h2FgdogU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=9509&group=comp.lang.ada#9509

From: niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid (Niklas Holsti)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 18:05:06 +0300
 by: Niklas Holsti - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 15:05 UTC

On 2023-04-17 17:20, Petter wrote:
> Also, is there a better way to create a post?

Hard to answer that, as you don't say which way you are using now.

It seems you are using Google Groups, which in general has a poor
reputation for Usenet usability (this is a Usenet newsgroup, not an
original Google Group). You could try to use a "real" newsreader (say,
Thunderbird) and a Usenet server -- for example, see
https://www.newsgroupreviews.com/eternal-september.html.

And please don't write your (almost) entire message in the "Subject" :-)

Re: Hi guys! I've been inactive for a long time but now started to develop a hobby application. I found a strange behaviour with gdb. Locally renaming a function S in order to shorten the source code visits cygwin.S during execution. thie is very awkwae

<lyttxecza3.fsf@pushface.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=9510&group=comp.lang.ada#9510

From: simon@pushface.org (Simon Wright)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Subject: Re: Hi guys! I've been inactive for a long time but now started to develop a hobby application. I found a strange behaviour with gdb. Locally renaming a function S in order to shorten the source code visits cygwin.S during execution. thie is very awkwae
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 16:19:00 +0100
sha1:qqu55D7uNcJ87HPuTSexfHrSHlQ=
 by: Simon Wright - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 15:19 UTC

Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid> writes:

> On 2023-04-17 17:20, Petter wrote:
>> Also, is there a better way to create a post?
>

> Hard to answer that, as you don't say which way you are using now.

On this Mac, using Google Groups via Safari, there's a (+ New
conversation) button at the top left.

When I click on that, a window pops up with From at the top, Subject
underneath, and then a large blank section for you to write your message
in.

In this case, a better subject would have been "Strange behaviour with GDB".

Re: Hi guys! I've been inactive for a long time but now started to develop a hobby application. I found a strange behaviour with gdb. Locally renaming a function S in order to shorten the source code visits cygwin.S during execution. thie is very awkwae

<u1k7a1$303ba$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=9511&group=comp.lang.ada#9511

From: news@cct-net.co.uk (Chris Townley)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 20:39:45 +0100
 by: Chris Townley - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 19:39 UTC

On 17/04/2023 16:19, Simon Wright wrote:
> Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid> writes:
>
>> On 2023-04-17 17:20, Petter wrote:
>>> Also, is there a better way to create a post?
>>

>> Hard to answer that, as you don't say which way you are using now.
>
> On this Mac, using Google Groups via Safari, there's a (+ New
> conversation) button at the top left.
>
> When I click on that, a window pops up with From at the top, Subject
> underneath, and then a large blank section for you to write your message
> in.
>
> In this case, a better subject would have been "Strange behaviour with GDB".

But hopefully a proper news reader wouldn't have duplicated the post ;)

--
Chris

Re: Hi guys! I've been inactive for a long time but now started to develop a hobby application. I found a strange behaviour with gdb. Locally renaming a function S in order to shorten the source code visits cygwin.S during execution. thie is very awkwae

<lyv8huczdq.fsf@pushface.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=9513&group=comp.lang.ada#9513

From: simon@pushface.org (Simon Wright)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 16:16:49 +0100
sha1:l0P/o4i10BnTvHF6WAfZrDSdcPw=
 by: Simon Wright - Mon, 17 Apr 2023 15:16 UTC

Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid> writes:

> On 2023-04-17 17:20, Petter wrote:
>> Also, is there a better way to create a post?
>

> Hard to answer that, as you don't say which way you are using now.

On this Mac, using Google Groups via Safari, there's a (+ New
conversation) button at the top left.

When I click on that, a window pops up with From at the top, Subject
underneath, and then a large blank section for you to write your message
in.

In this case, a better subject would have been "Strange behaviour with GDB".

Re: Hi guys! I've been inactive for a long time but now started to develop a hobby application. I found a strange behaviour with gdb. Locally renaming a function S in order to shorten the source code visits cygwin.S during execution. thie is very awk

<0e35bed9-4aee-4e88-be3d-a063b64aba78n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=9514&group=comp.lang.ada#9514

Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 04:18:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: petter_fryklund@hotmail.com (Petter)
 by: Petter - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 11:18 UTC

Thanks for the advice. But I could not find an easy way to start using another newsreader. Also, since I'm now retired. I'm not prepared to spend any more money.

I'd be grateful if someone addressed to problem in the OP: why do i have to hit F7 so many times? I also found out that I might not want to step into Ada.Containers.Vectors which is visited a lot of times for just a simple "for I of Vector". And more, something periodically triggers an abort_signal caught by ACV causing more F7s.

(I semi-retired 2 years ago and fully last year from a career in consultancy. Some of you have seen my posts a few years ago, when I was at in order Nobel Tech, SAAB Ericsson Aerotronics, SAAB Dynamics. Randy might remember that I started my career at SAAB UNIVAC later to become UNISYS which Randy and friends created an ADA Compiler which I sadly never had a chance to try.)