7 May, 2024: fms is rebuilding. Don't expect much in that section for quite a few days, maybe longer.

devel / comp.lang.clipper / Re: DBF + DBV

SubjectAuthor
* Re: DBF + DBVDan Yaeger
+* Re: DBF + DBVdlzc
|`* Re: DBF + DBVDan Yaeger
| `- Re: DBF + DBVdlzc
`* Re: DBF + DBVJan Bucek
 `* Re: DBF + DBVDan Yaeger
  `* Re: DBF + DBVJan Bucek
   `- Re: DBF + DBVDan Yaeger

1
Re: DBF + DBV

<e02203b1-d024-4a99-9df9-5f25a55547f2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=9&group=comp.lang.clipper#9

Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 14:21:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: DBF + DBV
From: dyaeger@gmail.com (Dan Yaeger)
 by: Dan Yaeger - Mon, 24 May 2021 21:21 UTC

On Saturday, January 8, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Stephen Quinn wrote:
> Jeffrey
> Bytes 1 & 2 are the offsets in the DBV where the data resides
> Bytes 3 & 4 are the length of the stored data
> Bytes 5 & 6 I don't know, at a guess the type of data stored
> ie object, array, plain text, encryption type
> The above is from memory so 1-4 may be reversed<g>
> --
> HTH
> Steve Quinn
> Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
> Sex is like air; it's not important unless you aren't getting any.
> Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I am trying to figure out this same task on an old flexfile stored memo field. I am about to give up on this conversion and notify my users they will be transferring this data by hand.
I cannot seem to get dClip to work for my memo fields (dbv), i just receive the pointer field with 6 characters. Almost every link on the internet is broken that references tools and materials to aid in this conversion.
Steve you seem to have a wealth of knowledge in these older clipper/flexfile systems. Do you know if the tool DBF/DBV -> DBF/DBT converter still exists? or if there are any resources that could get this data out? I am migrating everything to a MySQL database, i have all my dbf data already migrated, but the memo field has been the sticking point.

-Dan

Re: DBF + DBV

<d9815422-4b49-4ca0-9482-5f203228715cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=10&group=comp.lang.clipper#10

Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 07:20:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: dlzc1@cox.net (dlzc)
 by: dlzc - Tue, 25 May 2021 14:20 UTC

Dear Dan Yeager:

On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 2:21:48 PM UTC-7, Dan Yaeger wrote:
> I am trying to figure out this same task on an old flexfile
> stored memo field. I am about to give up on this conversion
> and notify my users they will be transferring this data by hand.
>
> I cannot seem to get dClip to work for my memo fields (dbv),
> i just receive the pointer field with 6 characters. Almost every
> link on the internet is broken that references tools and
> materials to aid in this conversion.

I find the following: https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.xharbour/c/fnO7ZLLumIc/m/uYgYerQLFLMJ

Rename the memofile extension to the one for Fauxpro, and change the first byte (with a suitable editor), and you might be able to treat it as a FauxPro file. You can probably find the tools you need for that. Make sure you do this with a COPY, not the ORIGINAL, of course.

David A. Smith

Re: DBF + DBV

<484d3283-029f-4885-80e5-d2d87bea308dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=11&group=comp.lang.clipper#11

Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 11:24:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: dyaeger@gmail.com (Dan Yaeger)
 by: Dan Yaeger - Tue, 25 May 2021 18:24 UTC

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 9:20:06 AM UTC-5, dlzc wrote:
> Dear Dan Yeager:
>
> On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 2:21:48 PM UTC-7, Dan Yaeger wrote:
> > I am trying to figure out this same task on an old flexfile
> > stored memo field. I am about to give up on this conversion
> > and notify my users they will be transferring this data by hand.
> >
> > I cannot seem to get dClip to work for my memo fields (dbv),
> > i just receive the pointer field with 6 characters. Almost every
> > link on the internet is broken that references tools and
> > materials to aid in this conversion.
> I find the following: https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.xharbour/c/fnO7ZLLumIc/m/uYgYerQLFLMJ
>
> Rename the memofile extension to the one for Fauxpro, and change the first byte (with a suitable editor), and you might be able to treat it as a FauxPro file. You can probably find the tools you need for that. Make sure you do this with a COPY, not the ORIGINAL, of course.
>
> David A. Smith

Thank you David. I will keep investigating. I feel like I am closer with every bit of information, I believe my files are a bit different than the traditional files. Everything I have tried seems to be a bit different than the standard. It doesn't help that I am not a programmer by trade, I just get roped into projects like this.

Re: DBF + DBV

<48e07b47-7ad8-4742-b0c7-b05562963888n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=12&group=comp.lang.clipper#12

Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 13:17:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: dlzc1@cox.net (dlzc)
 by: dlzc - Tue, 25 May 2021 20:17 UTC

Dear Dan Yaeger:

On Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 11:24:15 AM UTC-7, Dan Yaeger wrote:
> Thank you David. I will keep investigating. I feel like I am closer
> with every bit of information, I believe my files are a bit different
> than the traditional files. Everything I have tried seems to be a
> bit different than the standard. It doesn't help that I am not a
> programmer by trade, I just get roped into projects like this.

You are an "expert" like so many of us. An "ex" is a "has been" and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure. So many people find suckers to do their dirty work for them... that is how I got into computers and programming.

David A. Smith

Re: DBF + DBV

<s8lnvv$khr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=14&group=comp.lang.clipper#14

From: bucek.jan@post.cz (Jan Bucek)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper
Date: Wed, 26 May 2021 17:03:20 +0200
 by: Jan Bucek - Wed, 26 May 2021 15:03 UTC

Dne 24.5.2021 v 23:21 Dan Yaeger napsal(a):
> On Saturday, January 8, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Stephen Quinn wrote:
>> Jeffrey
>> Bytes 1 & 2 are the offsets in the DBV where the data resides
>> Bytes 3 & 4 are the length of the stored data
>> Bytes 5 & 6 I don't know, at a guess the type of data stored
>> ie object, array, plain text, encryption type
>> The above is from memory so 1-4 may be reversed<g>
>> --
>> HTH
>> Steve Quinn
>> Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
>> Sex is like air; it's not important unless you aren't getting any.
>> Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
>
> I am trying to figure out this same task on an old flexfile stored memo field. I am about to give up on this conversion and notify my users they will be transferring this data by hand.
> I cannot seem to get dClip to work for my memo fields (dbv), i just receive the pointer field with 6 characters. Almost every link on the internet is broken that references tools and materials to aid in this conversion.
> Steve you seem to have a wealth of knowledge in these older clipper/flexfile systems. Do you know if the tool DBF/DBV -> DBF/DBT converter still exists? or if there are any resources that could get this data out? I am migrating everything to a MySQL database, i have all my dbf data already migrated, but the memo field has been the sticking point.
>
> -Dan

Hi Dan,
I have found my old conversion tools for Clipper 5.3b I have developped
years ago on my PC - EXEs and source too. I have deployed the entire
directory on "http://www.bucek.info/rdd2rdd.zip". Try to use the EXEs
(Win32 max.) or check the source code, if it helps.
Best Regards
Jan Bucek

Re: DBF + DBV

<7103ca8f-5d44-47fd-8d71-88394f8e6dfdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=19&group=comp.lang.clipper#19

Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 14:32:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: dyaeger@gmail.com (Dan Yaeger)
 by: Dan Yaeger - Thu, 3 Jun 2021 21:32 UTC

On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 10:03:30 AM UTC-5, Jan Bucek wrote:
> Dne 24.5.2021 v 23:21 Dan Yaeger napsal(a):
> > On Saturday, January 8, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Stephen Quinn wrote:
> >> Jeffrey
> >> Bytes 1 & 2 are the offsets in the DBV where the data resides
> >> Bytes 3 & 4 are the length of the stored data
> >> Bytes 5 & 6 I don't know, at a guess the type of data stored
> >> ie object, array, plain text, encryption type
> >> The above is from memory so 1-4 may be reversed<g>
> >> --
> >> HTH
> >> Steve Quinn
> >> Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
> >> Sex is like air; it's not important unless you aren't getting any.
> >> Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
> >
> > I am trying to figure out this same task on an old flexfile stored memo field. I am about to give up on this conversion and notify my users they will be transferring this data by hand.
> > I cannot seem to get dClip to work for my memo fields (dbv), i just receive the pointer field with 6 characters. Almost every link on the internet is broken that references tools and materials to aid in this conversion.
> > Steve you seem to have a wealth of knowledge in these older clipper/flexfile systems. Do you know if the tool DBF/DBV -> DBF/DBT converter still exists? or if there are any resources that could get this data out? I am migrating everything to a MySQL database, i have all my dbf data already migrated, but the memo field has been the sticking point.
> >
> > -Dan
> >
> Hi Dan,
> I have found my old conversion tools for Clipper 5.3b I have developped
> years ago on my PC - EXEs and source too. I have deployed the entire
> directory on "http://www.bucek.info/rdd2rdd.zip". Try to use the EXEs
> (Win32 max.) or check the source code, if it helps.
> Best Regards
> Jan Bucek
Thank you Jan. I tried to use the software you linked but still unable to link the dbf and dbv memo file. I may post something to Freelancer or another coding site to see if I can find someone to look at the data and export to another format I can use. I appreciate your time in finding the files and responding, if anything it gives me hope there are still experts out there.

Re: DBF + DBV

<s9ckgl$5bf$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=20&group=comp.lang.clipper#20

From: bucek.jan@post.cz (Jan Bucek)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 09:24:58 +0200
 by: Jan Bucek - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 07:24 UTC

Dne 03.06.2021 v 23:32 Dan Yaeger napsal(a):
> On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 10:03:30 AM UTC-5, Jan Bucek wrote:
>>>
>>> I am trying to figure out this same task on an old flexfile stored memo field. I am about to give up on this conversion and notify my users they will be transferring this data by hand.
>>> I cannot seem to get dClip to work for my memo fields (dbv), i just receive the pointer field with 6 characters. Almost every link on the internet is broken that references tools and materials to aid in this conversion.
>>> Steve you seem to have a wealth of knowledge in these older clipper/flexfile systems. Do you know if the tool DBF/DBV -> DBF/DBT converter still exists? or if there are any resources that could get this data out? I am migrating everything to a MySQL database, i have all my dbf data already migrated, but the memo field has been the sticking point.
>>>
>>> -Dan
>>>
>> Hi Dan,
>> I have found my old conversion tools for Clipper 5.3b I have developped
>> years ago on my PC - EXEs and source too. I have deployed the entire
>> directory on "http://www.bucek.info/rdd2rdd.zip". Try to use the EXEs
>> (Win32 max.) or check the source code, if it helps.
>> Best Regards
>> Jan Bucek
> Thank you Jan. I tried to use the software you linked but still unable to link the dbf and dbv memo file. I may post something to Freelancer or another coding site to see if I can find someone to look at the data and export to another format I can use. I appreciate your time in finding the files and responding, if anything it gives me hope there are still experts out there.

1. What do you mean with "unable to link the dbf and dbv memo file"?

2. conversion DBT2DBV.EXE works OK for me, command:
DBT2DBV.EXE tableV.dbf DBV tableT.dbf
gives you new table tableT.dbf/dbt converted from existing
tableV.dbf/dbv

3. If it does not work for you, you can send me your DBF/DBV tables and
I convert it for you

--
Tato zpráva byla zkontrolována na viry programem Avast Antivirus.

Re: DBF + DBV

<295e9872-d87d-4f33-aee0-7f7ca62390f7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=21&group=comp.lang.clipper#21

Newsgroups: comp.lang.clipper
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 12:11:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: dyaeger@gmail.com (Dan Yaeger)
 by: Dan Yaeger - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 19:11 UTC

On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 2:25:13 AM UTC-5, Jan Bucek wrote:
> Dne 03.06.2021 v 23:32 Dan Yaeger napsal(a):

> >> Hi Dan,
> >> I have found my old conversion tools for Clipper 5.3b I have developped
> >> years ago on my PC - EXEs and source too. I have deployed the entire
> >> directory on "http://www.bucek.info/rdd2rdd.zip". Try to use the EXEs
> >> (Win32 max.) or check the source code, if it helps.
> >> Best Regards
> >> Jan Bucek
> > Thank you Jan. I tried to use the software you linked but still unable to link the dbf and dbv memo file. I may post something to Freelancer or another coding site to see if I can find someone to look at the data and export to another format I can use. I appreciate your time in finding the files and responding, if anything it gives me hope there are still experts out there.
> >
> 1. What do you mean with "unable to link the dbf and dbv memo file"?
>
> 2. conversion DBT2DBV.EXE works OK for me, command:
> DBT2DBV.EXE tableV.dbf DBV tableT.dbf
> gives you new table tableT.dbf/dbt converted from existing
> tableV.dbf/dbv
>
> 3. If it does not work for you, you can send me your DBF/DBV tables and
> I convert it for you
>

> --
> Tato zpráva byla zkontrolována na viry programem Avast Antivirus.

My output from running that executable doesn't seem to link to the dbv to create usable output. In other words, my input = output after running this application.
I created a temporary link to the files that will expire in a couple days. https://www.dropbox.com/s/kw395wlp0otqxu1/DBF-DBV%20Files.zip?dl=0
Thank you!