Newsgroups: comp.lang.rexx
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 07:07:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: ooRexx subcommand environment sample code
From: vmdave9@gmail.com (Dave Jones)
 by: Dave Jones - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 14:07 UTC

Hello, all.
I want to write an interface between ooRexx (on Linux if that matters) and the graphics library DISLIN. Since I am not a C language expert, I would like to find an example/sample code of a subcommand handler that does something simple, like reverse a character string and return it to the Rexx program. I am looking for a sample of all of the steps needed....how to write it, how to compile/link it, how to use it from Rexx. I am interested in the old-style, "classic" interface only.
The ooRexx is 5.0, and the Linux is openSuSE Tumbleweeds 64 bit.
Anything I can come up with will of course be shared back to the community.
Many thanks.
DJ

Re: ooRexx subcommand environment sample code

<44e89eef-2e04-4207-9b30-f35ba2141bb0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=58&group=comp.lang.rexx#58

Newsgroups: comp.lang.rexx
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 08:13:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: ooRexx subcommand environment sample code
From: vmdave9@gmail.com (Dave Jones)
 by: Dave Jones - Sun, 16 Oct 2022 15:13 UTC

On Sunday, October 16, 2022 at 9:07:57 AM UTC-5, Dave Jones wrote:
> Hello, all.
> I want to write an interface between ooRexx (on Linux if that matters) and the graphics library DISLIN. Since I am not a C language expert, I would like to find an example/sample code of a subcommand handler that does something simple, like reverse a character string and return it to the Rexx program. I am looking for a sample of all of the steps needed....how to write it, how to compile/link it, how to use it from Rexx. I am interested in the old-style, "classic" interface only.
> The ooRexx is 5.0, and the Linux is openSuSE Tumbleweeds 64 bit.
> Anything I can come up with will of course be shared back to the community.
> Many thanks.
> DJ
I forgot to mention that I can use the same sort of information for Regina Rexx as well.
I can be reached at:
vmdave9@gmail.com
DJ

Re: ooRexx subcommand environment sample code

<tim05f$7k6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=59&group=comp.lang.rexx#59

From: rony.flatscher@wu-wien.ac.at (Rony)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.rexx
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 12:46:06 +0200
 by: Rony - Tue, 18 Oct 2022 10:46 UTC

On 16.10.2022 17:13, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Sunday, October 16, 2022 at 9:07:57 AM UTC-5, Dave Jones wrote:
>> Hello, all.
>> I want to write an interface between ooRexx (on Linux if that matters) and the graphics library DISLIN. Since I am not a C language expert, I would like to find an example/sample code of a subcommand handler that does something simple, like reverse a character string and return it to the Rexx program. I am looking for a sample of all of the steps needed....how to write it, how to compile/link it, how to use it from Rexx. I am interested in the old-style, "classic" interface only.
>> The ooRexx is 5.0, and the Linux is openSuSE Tumbleweeds 64 bit.
>> Anything I can come up with will of course be shared back to the community.
>> Many thanks.
>> DJ
> I forgot to mention that I can use the same sort of information for Regina Rexx as well.
> I can be reached at:
> vmdave9@gmail.com

You may want to check out rxapi.pdf [1] from ooRexx 5.0 [2] which documents the REXXSAA and the new
ooRexx APIs. The REXXSAA APIs should work on Regina as well. Also ooRexx 5.0 comes with samples of
exit handlers which show you how to code that, doing the same for subcommand handlers should be
straight forward.

---

Also, it may be interesting to know that ooRexx 5.0 with the new BSF4ooRexx850 [3] (an ooRexx-Java
bridge) will make the Java2D available as Rexx commands. This has the benefit that all such Rexx
programs will run not only on Linux, but also on Windows and Apple (or vice versa) unchanged! Check
out the numerous little nutshell Rexx samples with "JDOR" in their names from the
/opt/BSF4ooRexx/samples directory.

[1] rxapi.pdf: <https://sourceforge.net/projects/oorexx/files/oorexx-docs/5.0.0beta/>
[2] ooRexx 5.0: <https://sourceforge.net/projects/oorexx/files/oorexx/5.0.0beta/>
[3] BSF4ooRexx850: <https://sourceforge.net/projects/bsf4oorexx/files/beta/20221004/>