Counting in binary is just like counting in decimal -- if you are all thumbs. -- Glaser and Way

devel / comp.lang.cobol / Re: I would like to hear from anyone who uses GNU cobol or Raincode in dai

SubjectAuthor
* I would like to hear from anyone who uses GNU cobol or Raincode inBill goodman
`- Re: I would like to hear from anyone who uses GNU cobol or Raincode in daiVincent Coen

1
I would like to hear from anyone who uses GNU cobol or Raincode in daily developement or production in a business environment? What has been your experiance with these 2 compilers?

<887aa4b6-451f-43d4-95fe-20ccd7eb9fc8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=447&group=comp.lang.cobol#447

Newsgroups: comp.lang.cobol
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2023 12:23:32 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: I would like to hear from anyone who uses GNU cobol or Raincode in
From: aaacompute@gmail.com (Bill goodman)
 by: Bill goodman - Sat, 8 Apr 2023 19:23 UTC

I would like to hear from anyone who uses GNU cobol or Raincode in daily developement or production in a business environment? What has been your experiance with these 2 compilers?
thanks

Re: I would like to hear from anyone who uses GNU cobol or Raincode in dai

<1680999322@f1.n250.z2.fidonet.ftn>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=449&group=comp.lang.cobol#449

From: VBCoen@gmail.com (Vincent Coen)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.cobol
Subject: Re: I would like to hear from anyone who uses GNU cobol or Raincode in dai
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2023 01:15:22 +0100
Sender: "Vincent Coen" <VBCoen@gmail.com>
 by: Vincent Coen - Sun, 9 Apr 2023 00:15 UTC

Hello Bill!

Saturday April 08 2023 20:23, Bill goodman wrote to All:

> Subject: I would like to hear from anyone who uses GNU cobol or
> Raincode in daily developement or production in a business
> environment? What has been your experiance with these 2 compilers?

Raincode no - did try it but have too many issues and even more for
Heirloom could not even compile its own sample programs.
Did pass the issue to its support with zero response - so gave up on both/

These two are commercial products.
Not used Cobol-IT as it is based on opencobol compiler v1 but they do not
abide by the software license (open source) and provide the compiler source
to create the current version etc.

GnuCobol has a larger block of support for the Cobol standards up to last
year - It is NOT commercial so some times bug fixes take a while but one's
I have noticed as critical have been dealt with quick - it does not
happen often..

> I would like to hear from anyone who uses GNU cobol or Raincode in
> daily developement or production in a business environment? What has
> been your experiance with these 2 compilers? thanks

Application exceeding 1 M lines in production - well in excess but almost
all under *nix but there is some under Windowz.

I am not the only one as there are a reasonable number that frequent the
GnuCobol forums with similar numbers and may be a lot more including s/w
houses.

Vincent