You can't go home again, unless you set $HOME.

devel / comp.lang.mumps / On M standardization

SubjectAuthor
* On M standardizationchocolat...@gmail.com
+* Re: On M standardizationed de moel
|`- Re: On M standardizationK.S. Bhaskar
`- Re: On M standardizationed de moel

1
On M standardization

<8c6aef60-83f9-45fc-b360-35ca143e7a28n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=416&group=comp.lang.mumps#416

Newsgroups: comp.lang.mumps
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 14:03:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: On M standardization
From: chocolatejollis38@gmail.com (chocolat...@gmail.com)
 by: chocolat...@gmail.co - Tue, 28 Jun 2022 21:03 UTC

I have put together an article regarding current M standardization efforts. I encourage the community to read and consider.

https://freem-blog.coherent-logic.com/d/q9qc5n9eg5

Greetings,
jpw

Re: On M standardization

<5e3a9c50-80f8-4e86-a6f0-f69ae9808fa2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=419&group=comp.lang.mumps#419

Newsgroups: comp.lang.mumps
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 17:07:41 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: On M standardization
From: eddemoel@gmail.com (ed de moel)
 by: ed de moel - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 00:07 UTC

On "hardhats" there's been some discussion about future standards development, and how the committee should be organized. As a starting point, I'd like to offer the bylaws of the "old" MDC (which is broadly considered to be disbanded by now).
As an aside: these bylaws were written in the age of paper communication and in-person meetings, so, of course, they would need some reworking for a new committee.
And, oh yes: membership in that committee was by "institution", not by "person", which is something that might require some thought...
Nevertheless, here goes:

CONSTITUTION
OF THE
MUMPS DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE

as of June 4, 1995

Table of Contents

1 Name 2
2 Purpose 2
3 Membership 2
4 Officers 5
5 Rules for Election of Officers 6
6 Meetings 7
7 Committee Organization 8
8 Parliamentary Authority 10
9 Voting 11
10 Publications and Publication Policy 12
11 Records and Minutes 12
Item 1 Name

This organization shall be called the MUMPS Development Committee (MDC).

Item 2 Purpose

2.1 The MDC is an informal and voluntary organization of interested individuals, supported by their institutions, who contribute their efforts and resources to the end of developing a computer programming language, based upon dialects of the MUMPS language, which meets the requirements of a wide range of applications. The results of MDC activities will be in the public domain with the intent of promoting MUMPS language commonality and compatibility among computers.

2.2 An objective of the MDC is to make possible compatible, uniform MUMPS source programs and execution results with continued reduction in the number of changes necessary for conversion or interchange of source programs and data. A further objective of this organization is to serve the interest of computer users by:

a. encouraging and contributing to the further development of MUMPS,
b. promoting the acceptance of MDC developments,
c. providing a forum for the exchange and dissemination of ideas and knowledge relating to MUMPS,
d. stimulating new ideas in MUMPS and fostering their development, and
e. other appropriate means.

Item 3 Membership

3.1 Definitions

a. Institution - An autonomous organizational entity which provides one's principal place of employment or study

b. Vendor - An institution which effects changes to a MUMPS language implementation for the primary purpose of providing a product or service to others (a voting member)

c. User - An institution which actively programs in the MUMPS language, primarily for the purpose of solving application problems (a voting member)

d. Special Interest - An institution which neither implements nor actively programs in the language, but otherwise uses preprogrammed modules or has other special interests in the development or implementation of the language (a nonvoting member)

e. Sponsoring User Organization - An organization of two or more user institutions (see Item 3.1 c.) which chooses to sponsor a single individual from its membership to represent the organization as a user institution (a voting member)

f. MUMPS Development Coordinating Committee (MDCC) - A national or supranational organization that is interested in furthering the objectives of the MDC as stated in the constitution. The MDCC sponsors a single individual from its membership to represent that organization at MDC meetings (voting member).

3.2 Membership in the MDC is institutional in nature and resides in an institution rather than an individual. Membership is based upon a sponsoring institution's expressed support of MDC objectives. An institution may have only one membership. Participants from a member institution are designated by that institution as either "representative" or "alternate", there being only one representative. Although any reasonable number of alternates is permitted, it is the responsibility of the member institution to maintain continuity of representation. The institution that a person represents (institutional affliation), which is declared at the beginning of a meeting, cannot be modified for the duration of that meeting.

3.2.1 A sponsoring user organization may have only one membership. The organization must hold at least one annual meeting and conduct an election to establish its single representative and any alternates. It must also provide a yearly credentials letter naming the elected individuals.

3.2.2 Individuals elected to represent a sponsoring user organization and any alternates must also be able to qualify for voting privileges as representatives of their own institutions; however, they cannot represent both their own institutions and a sponsoring user organization at the same meeting.. Representatives and any alternates of sponsoring user organizations must declare which institution they are representing at the beginning of each meeting.

3.2.3 Any attendance by an elected representative is counted toward establishing and maintaining membership and voting privileges for both his own institution and sponsoring user organization.

3.2.4 If an individual representing a voting institution leaves the institution and is employed by or studies under the auspices of another institution that is eligible but not currently a voting member of the MDC, the MDC may waive the prerequisite meeting(s).

3.2.5 An organization wishing to be recognized as an MDCC by the MDC must meet certain criteria, inform the MDC, through the Secretariat, of their request and provide the MDC with certain information.

a. To be considered as a candidate for recognition as a MDCC, the organization must have an interest in the MUMPS language, support the objectives of the MDC, have open meetings that can be attended by any interested party, have minutes of the meetings available to the general public on request, have the dates of all regular meetings published in advance and available to the general public. The MDC, via the Secretariat, must also be notified in advance of any meetings and receive a copy of the minutes (and English translation if not in English). There can be only one designated MDCC per country or international area. In the event of a conflict the final decision to recognize or not recognize a candidate organization will be reserved by the MDC.

b. They must be an organization with a founding date (or first official meeting date), by-laws, and duly oppointed officers. The MDC must be informed of ways of contacting the organization, including but not limited to, the organizations' mailing address, phone number and, if available, FAX number. The officers must be identified and a copy of the by-laws (and English translation if not in English) must be presented to the MDC. The by-laws must contain the procedure used for designating office holders. Whenever the by-laws are modified, the MDC must receive an updated copy (and translation).

c. Every January, the presiding officer of the organization must notify the MDC, on official letterhead, who is their designated representative to the MDC. The MDC must be informed in writing, on organizational letterhead, of any subsequent changes to the designated representative before that person can represent the MDCC at a MDC meeting.

d. For purposes of voting requirements, at the request of the designated representative of a recognized MDCC and with approval of the MDC, recent MDCC attendance by a member of the MDCC may be substituted for attendance at recent MDC meetings to achieve voting privileges at a particular meeting. Such privileges in no way affect quorum requirements for MDC meetings.

3.3 At the time of the adoption of this constitution, MDC member institutions which have previously obtained membership in accordance with the provisions of MDC/4 Revised, dated 3/13/73 and subsequent revisions will have their attendance recalculated at the next meeting following ratification.

Anyone with membership pending before the MDC at the time of the ratification of this provision will be considered to have applied as of the date of ratification and will be credited with attending five meetings.

Any other institution committed to using or implementing the MUMPS programming language may apply to become a member of the MDC. The process for becoming a member is as follows:

a. The applicant institution must make a written statement of its intent to apply for membership to the MDC chair.

b. The MDC Chair will notify the MDC membership of the applicant's intention.

c. Upon receipt of the letter of intent, the applicant institution will be credited with attending the last 4 meetings.

d. At the beginning of the meeting that the applicant's attendance exceeds 2/3 of the past 8 meetings, membership will be granted or denied based upon a vote of the voting MDC members in attendance. Voting privileges will start immediately.

e. Any institution whose application for membership is denied may appeal the decision to the Membership Committee, consisting of the elected officers of the MUMPS Development Committee and the MUMPS Users' Group.

f. If the applicant's attendance drops below 1/3 of the past 8 meetings before a vote can be taken, its application for membership will be revoked.

g. At any time, a member institution may notify, in writing, of its intent to relinquish its membership. Once an institution has voluntarily relinquished its membership, it is not eligible to be reconsidered for membership until such time as it would have normally lost membership due to lack of attendance, or it has had a representative in attendance for six out of the last eight meetings. In other words, an institution cannot use this method to regain voting privileges.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: On M standardization

<f23b1274-fc14-45fc-a4e3-edce0a8b5735n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=421&group=comp.lang.mumps#421

Newsgroups: comp.lang.mumps
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 08:26:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: ksbhaskar@gmail.com (K.S. Bhaskar)
 by: K.S. Bhaskar - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 15:26 UTC

<6edc1cb2-801e-465e-a638-e94264033e92n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=428&group=comp.lang.mumps#428

Newsgroups: comp.lang.mumps
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 16:45:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: eddemoel@gmail.com (ed de moel)
 by: ed de moel - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 23:45 UTC

I've received some requests for "old" MDC documents with proposals for changes to the Standard.
Rather than send each document to each requestor, here's a link to the whole collection:
http://71.174.62.16/MDC/millstd/TypeA/TypeA.html

Now, just so that there's no misunderstanding: I'm just posting this list.
This does not mean that I endorse each and every item in it.

For those changes that have already been implemented by a majority of implementors,
it sure makes sense to include those in a future standard.

On the other hand, all these other changes for which, in (for some more than) 25 years,
hardly any (if any at all) implementor has seen a benefit in implementing them,
it might be good to reconsider if those were a good idea in the first place.
After all, if, in 25 years, no customer has given their implementor a convincing
argument for something, that should indicate a clear direction...

Ed de Moel