Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 11:54:56 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
From: NoOne@NoWhere.com (olcott)
Subject: Termination Analyzer H prevents Denial of Service attacks
 by: olcott - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 16:54 UTC

A termination analyzer is an ordinary computer program that is supposed
to determine whether or not its input program will ever stop running or
gets stuck in infinite execution.

When a program input has been specifically defined to confuse a
termination analyzer it is correct to determine that the program
behavior is malevolent.

Prior to my work nothing could be done about inputs having a
pathological relationship to their termination analyzer. Prior to my
work Rice's theorem prevented this pathological relationship from being
recognized.

The pathological relationship is when an input program D is defined to
do the opposite of whatever its termination analyzer H says it will do.
If H says that D will stop running D runs an infinite loop. If H says
that D will never stop running, D immediately stops running.

When H(D,D) returns 0 this means that the input does not halt or the
input has pathological behavior that would otherwise cause the
termination analyzer to not halt. This means that the program has either
a non-termination bug or the program has malevolent behavior.

This reasoning completely overcomes the one key objection to my work
that has persisted for two years.

*Termination Analyzer H prevents Denial of Service attacks*
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/369971402_Termination_Analyzer_H_prevents_Denial_of_Service_attacks

--
Copyright 2023 Olcott

Arthur Schopenhauer