"Aww, if you make me cry anymore, you'll fog up my helmet." -- "Visionaries" cartoon

devel / comp.lang.fortran / Developing Fortran using Eclipse?

SubjectAuthor
* Developing Fortran using Eclipse?Peter Chapin
`* Re: Developing Fortran using Eclipse?baf
 `* Re: Developing Fortran using Eclipse?Lynn McGuire
  `* Re: Developing Fortran using Eclipse?Jeff Ryman
   +- Re: Developing Fortran using Eclipse?Lynn McGuire
   `* Re: Developing Fortran using Eclipse?David Duffy
    `* Re: Developing Fortran using Eclipse?Lynn McGuire
     `- Re: Developing Fortran using Eclipse?David Duffy

1
Developing Fortran using Eclipse?

<qb2dnUur0JPJdeH4nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=3784&group=comp.lang.fortran#3784

Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 18:59:17 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran
From: spicacality@kelseymountain.org (Peter Chapin)
Subject: Developing Fortran using Eclipse?
 by: Peter Chapin - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 23:59 UTC

Hello!

I'm looking to set up Eclipse for Fortran development. I'm using Eclipse
2023-12 with the latest CDT installed, and that is working fine.
Unfortunately, it appears as if the Parallel Tools Platform is dead(?).
The last update was earlier this year and it has disappeared from the
Eclipse installer.

For right now I'd be happy with a stock Fortran plugin that will work
alongside the CDT (i.e., not be incompatible with it), but even that
seems hard to find. What's the story with Fortran support for Eclipse?
Is that no longer a thing? If not, what development environment is
recommended?

Thanks,
Peter

Re: Developing Fortran using Eclipse?

<ku4bkjF608lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=3785&group=comp.lang.fortran#3785

From: baf@nowhere.com (baf)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran
Subject: Re: Developing Fortran using Eclipse?
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 17:08:36 -0800
 by: baf - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 01:08 UTC

The Intel compiler and associated development tools are now free for
non-commercial use. Another possibility is to use SimplyFortran which is
an IDE for gfortran.

On 12/15/2023 3:59 PM, Peter Chapin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm looking to set up Eclipse for Fortran development. I'm using Eclipse
> 2023-12 with the latest CDT installed, and that is working fine.
> Unfortunately, it appears as if the Parallel Tools Platform is dead(?).
> The last update was earlier this year and it has disappeared from the
> Eclipse installer.
>
> For right now I'd be happy with a stock Fortran plugin that will work
> alongside the CDT (i.e., not be incompatible with it), but even that
> seems hard to find. What's the story with Fortran support for Eclipse?
> Is that no longer a thing? If not, what development environment is
> recommended?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

Re: Developing Fortran using Eclipse?

<ulj84p$29jm3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=3786&group=comp.lang.fortran#3786

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 22:13:12 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 04:13 UTC

On 12/15/2023 7:08 PM, baf wrote:
> The Intel compiler and associated development tools are now free for
> non-commercial use. Another possibility is to use SimplyFortran which is
> an IDE for gfortran.
>
>  On 12/15/2023 3:59 PM, Peter Chapin wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I'm looking to set up Eclipse for Fortran development. I'm using
>> Eclipse 2023-12 with the latest CDT installed, and that is working
>> fine. Unfortunately, it appears as if the Parallel Tools Platform is
>> dead(?). The last update was earlier this year and it has disappeared
>> from the Eclipse installer.
>>
>> For right now I'd be happy with a stock Fortran plugin that will work
>> alongside the CDT (i.e., not be incompatible with it), but even that
>> seems hard to find. What's the story with Fortran support for Eclipse?
>> Is that no longer a thing? If not, what development environment is
>> recommended?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Peter

I wish that I could use SimplyFortran. However, the debugger does not
support setting breakpoints by name or setting breakpoints by name and
the first time of call to break at. Breakpoints can only be set
visually in the code.

Lynn

Re: Developing Fortran using Eclipse?

<kbq0pip8bge2keidap903ad9oig4l8ukrr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=3790&group=comp.lang.fortran#3790

From: rymanjc@outlook.com (Jeff Ryman)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 11:10:03 -0800
 by: Jeff Ryman - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 19:10 UTC

On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 22:13:12 -0600, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 12/15/2023 7:08 PM, baf wrote:
>> The Intel compiler and associated development tools are now free for
>> non-commercial use. Another possibility is to use SimplyFortran which is
>> an IDE for gfortran.
>>
>>  On 12/15/2023 3:59 PM, Peter Chapin wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I'm looking to set up Eclipse for Fortran development. I'm using
>>> Eclipse 2023-12 with the latest CDT installed, and that is working
>>> fine. Unfortunately, it appears as if the Parallel Tools Platform is
>>> dead(?). The last update was earlier this year and it has disappeared
>>> from the Eclipse installer.
>>>
>>> For right now I'd be happy with a stock Fortran plugin that will work
>>> alongside the CDT (i.e., not be incompatible with it), but even that
>>> seems hard to find. What's the story with Fortran support for Eclipse?
>>> Is that no longer a thing? If not, what development environment is
>>> recommended?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Peter
>
>I wish that I could use SimplyFortran. However, the debugger does not
>support setting breakpoints by name or setting breakpoints by name and
>the first time of call to break at. Breakpoints can only be set
>visually in the code.
>
>Lynn
Lynn, What debugger do you like? I haven't actively programmed in many
years but I am reviving some codes I developed in the 1980s and '90s
when I worked at Oak Ridge National Lab. Back in those days on the
mainframe I debugged using write statements, which of course changes
the compiled code oftentimes hiding the cause of the error. I need to
learn to use a debugger and I am open to suggestions as to which one
to use. I am currently using Simply Fortran, but I have played around
with using the CBFortran environment with GCC from www.equation.com or
www.winlibs.com. I have yet to install the Intel compiler but I intend
to try it as well.

Re: Developing Fortran using Eclipse?

<umqaue$1ekro$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=3791&group=comp.lang.fortran#3791

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 18:00:12 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 00:00 UTC

On 12/30/2023 1:10 PM, Jeff Ryman wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 22:13:12 -0600, Lynn McGuire
> <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/15/2023 7:08 PM, baf wrote:
>>> The Intel compiler and associated development tools are now free for
>>> non-commercial use. Another possibility is to use SimplyFortran which is
>>> an IDE for gfortran.

>> I wish that I could use SimplyFortran. However, the debugger does not
>> support setting breakpoints by name or setting breakpoints by name and
>> the first time of call to break at. Breakpoints can only be set
>> visually in the code.
>>
>> Lynn
> Lynn, What debugger do you like? I haven't actively programmed in many
> years but I am reviving some codes I developed in the 1980s and '90s
> when I worked at Oak Ridge National Lab. Back in those days on the
> mainframe I debugged using write statements, which of course changes
> the compiled code oftentimes hiding the cause of the error. I need to
> learn to use a debugger and I am open to suggestions as to which one
> to use. I am currently using Simply Fortran, but I have played around
> with using the CBFortran environment with GCC from www.equation.com or
> www.winlibs.com. I have yet to install the Intel compiler but I intend
> to try it as well.

Yup, I have thousands of write statements all over my calculation engine
triggered by TRACE=xxxxxxxx in the user input. They are but a pale
imitation of a good visual debugger.

The best visual debugger that I have used is the Open Watcom Debugger.
It handles anything that we need in Windows or DOS. It moves
transparently from C to C++ to F77 code. Sadly, it does not respect F77
breakpoints in Windows 10 x64 or Windows 11. It does respect C and C++
breakpoints so it is a nasty bug.
http://openwatcom.org/

I like Simply Fortran but it needs to expose the strength of the DBX
debugger underneath it as it is only a partial implementation. It is
not useful to us yet.

I have not tried Code::Blocks IDE for Fortran yet. I do not know if it
supports integration of C and C++ code.
https://cbfortran.sourceforge.io/

My calculation engine is 740,000 lines of F77 code and 50,000 lines of
C/C++ code.

Lynn

Re: Developing Fortran using Eclipse?

<umr4bn$1lbr7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=3792&group=comp.lang.fortran#3792

From: davidd02@tpg.com.au (David Duffy)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 07:14:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Duffy - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 07:14 UTC

Jeff Ryman <rymanjc@outlook.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 22:13:12 -0600, Lynn McGuire
> <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On 12/15/2023 7:08 PM, baf wrote:
>>> The Intel compiler and associated development tools are now free for
>>> non-commercial use. Another possibility is to use SimplyFortran which is
>>> an IDE for gfortran.

Have you tried
https://www.oracle.com/application-development/developerstudio/

I'm afraid I've only used it a little. Stayed with gdb and valgrind even
though using with fortran is OK-but-not-brilliant.
David Duffy.

Re: Developing Fortran using Eclipse?

<un03ns$2hur7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=3793&group=comp.lang.fortran#3793

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 22:34:01 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 04:34 UTC

On 12/31/2023 1:14 AM, David Duffy wrote:
> Jeff Ryman <rymanjc@outlook.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 22:13:12 -0600, Lynn McGuire
>> <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you tried
> https://www.oracle.com/application-development/developerstudio/
>
> I'm afraid I've only used it a little. Stayed with gdb and valgrind even
> though using with fortran is OK-but-not-brilliant.
> David Duffy.

I think that I used this on a Sun Sparcstation about 30 years ago.

It does appear to be for Sun systems only.

Lynn

Re: Developing Fortran using Eclipse?

<un2os6$33gk3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=3794&group=comp.lang.fortran#3794

From: davidd02@tpg.com.au (David Duffy)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 04:47:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Duffy - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 04:47 UTC

Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/31/2023 1:14 AM, David Duffy wrote:
>>
>> Have you tried
>> https://www.oracle.com/application-development/developerstudio/
>>

> I think that I used this on a Sun Sparcstation about 30 years ago.
>
> It does appear to be for Sun systems only.

I've only used the 64-bit Linux version (Ubuntu). As it happens, the
fortran compiler produces executables that are roughly the same speed
as from gfortran for my applications.