From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
Subject: “Core_Guidelines_are_not_Rules"_by_Arne_Mertz
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 22:34:28 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 03:34 UTC

“Core Guidelines are not Rules" by Arne Mertz
https://arne-mertz.de/2024/03/core-guidelines-are-not-rules/

“There is a difference between guidelines and rules. Boiling down
guidelines to one-sentence rules has drawbacks that make your code
harder to understand.”

“The famous quote by Captain Barbossa from _Pirates of the Caribbean_
says “The Code is more what you’d call guidelines than actual rules.”
This implies that there is a difference between the two.”

Lynn

Re: “Core Guidelines are not Rules" by Arne Mertz

<dd196adcd2566d4c7f1fba911d020debfa0ec1da.camel@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=3367&group=comp.lang.c%2B%2B#3367

From: wyniijj5@gmail.com (wij)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
Subject: Re: “Core Guidelines are not Rules" by Arne
Mertz
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 13:07:55 +0800
 by: wij - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 05:07 UTC

On Mon, 2024-03-18 at 22:34 -0500, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> “Core Guidelines are not Rules" by Arne Mertz
>     https://arne-mertz.de/2024/03/core-guidelines-are-not-rules/
>
> “There is a difference between guidelines and rules. Boiling down
> guidelines to one-sentence rules has drawbacks that make your code
> harder to understand.”
>
> “The famous quote by Captain Barbossa from _Pirates of the Caribbean_
> says “The Code is more what you’d call guidelines than actual rules.”
> This implies that there is a difference between the two.”
>
> Lynn

I like the title "Simpying C++". All are actually very simple:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/cscall/files/MisFiles/ClassGuidelines.txt/download
This is the c++ programming guidelines Tested and Used for 20 years:
In it, the reset rule can be strict, practical and very useful, and saved lots
of programming efforts. All the basics are unbelievably simple, try it to know.

There are too much to say about the Core Guidelines. In all, it is an unmatured "draft" from the ivory
tower, full of words without meaning.

Re: “Core Guidelines are not Rules" by Arne Mertz

<utcccf$tg6o$1@raubtier-asyl.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=3368&group=comp.lang.c%2B%2B#3368

From: Bonita.Montero@gmail.com (Bonita Montero)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
Subject: Re:_“Core_Guidelines_are_not_Rules"_by_Arne_M
ertz
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 16:52:55 +0100
 by: Bonita Montero - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 15:52 UTC

Am 19.03.2024 um 06:07 schrieb wij:
> On Mon, 2024-03-18 at 22:34 -0500, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> “Core Guidelines are not Rules" by Arne Mertz
>>     https://arne-mertz.de/2024/03/core-guidelines-are-not-rules/
>>
>> “There is a difference between guidelines and rules. Boiling down
>> guidelines to one-sentence rules has drawbacks that make your code
>> harder to understand.”
>>
>> “The famous quote by Captain Barbossa from _Pirates of the Caribbean_
>> says “The Code is more what you’d call guidelines than actual rules.”
>> This implies that there is a difference between the two.”
>>
>> Lynn
>
> I like the title "Simpying C++". All are actually very simple:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/cscall/files/MisFiles/ClassGuidelines.txt/download
> This is the c++ programming guidelines Tested and Used for 20 years:
> In it, the reset rule can be strict, practical and very useful, and saved lots
> of programming efforts. All the basics are unbelievably simple, try it to know.

As long s simplifying isn't dropping useful features that save work ...

> There are too much to say about the Core Guidelines. In all, it is an unmatured "draft" from the ivory
> tower, full of words without meaning.

Re: “Core Guidelines are not Rules" by Arne Mertz

<528e5c0ef050818b76f48c098517d42abaabe2bf.camel@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=3369&group=comp.lang.c%2B%2B#3369

From: wyniijj5@gmail.com (wij)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++
Mertz
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 12:54:08 +0800
 by: wij - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 04:54 UTC

On Tue, 2024-03-19 at 16:52 +0100, Bonita Montero wrote:
> Am 19.03.2024 um 06:07 schrieb wij:
> > On Mon, 2024-03-18 at 22:34 -0500, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> > > “Core Guidelines are not Rules" by Arne Mertz
> > >      https://arne-mertz.de/2024/03/core-guidelines-are-not-rules/
> > >
> > > “There is a difference between guidelines and rules. Boiling down
> > > guidelines to one-sentence rules has drawbacks that make your code
> > > harder to understand.”
> > >
> > > “The famous quote by Captain Barbossa from _Pirates of the Caribbean_
> > > says “The Code is more what you’d call guidelines than actual rules.”
> > > This implies that there is a difference between the two.”
> > >
> > > Lynn
> >
> > I like the title "Simpying C++". All are actually very simple:
> > https://sourceforge.net/projects/cscall/files/MisFiles/ClassGuidelines.txt/download
> > This is the c++ programming guidelines Tested and Used for 20 years:
> > In it, the reset rule can be strict, practical and very useful, and saved lots
> > of programming efforts. All the basics are unbelievably simple, try it to know.
>
> As long s simplifying isn't dropping useful features that save work ...

If you don't have a good guidelines like ClassGuidelines (reset rule), your C++
program won't go far because the foundation is likely based on shaky concepts.