Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 17:49:26 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: List of software programs written in fortran (for engineers and scientists)
From: rymanjc@outlook.com (Jeff Ryman)
 by: Jeff Ryman - Sat, 28 Jan 2023 01:49 UTC

On Monday, August 10, 2009 at 8:06:35 AM UTC-7, dpb wrote:
> Jason wrote:
> > I'm sorry for not being more specific and for asking a misleading
> > question. I'm trying to compare Fortran to other early languages that
> > are still in use today. I want to provide some examples to show why
> > the languages are used and for what purpose. So I am making a list of
> > examples that demonstrate an idea, not a comprehensive list of every
> > program. I've read that Cobol is good for business, Lisp for AI, and
> > Fortran for science/engineering. I want to show examples that
> > illustrate that (or maybe something different). I will make sure that
> > my audience understands that this list is a sampling only.
> >
> > My current list of fortran programs so far is mainly confined to civil
> > engineering tools (except for Spice1) - I am a civil engineer, and I
> > am familiar with these. I thought if I ask this question here, I would
> > get a more well-rounded response that would be more representative.
> Virtually all nuclear design codes both for commercial and defense purposes.
> _Small_ sampling would include
> PDQ/HARMONY -- neutron diffusion/isotope depletion combination
> RELAP -- LWR reactor safety (LOCA, etc., ...) analysis
> KENO -- Monte Carlo particle transport
> ANISN, DOT3,5 -- Discrete ordinate particle transport
> QAD-CGGP2 -- point kernel shielding
> ORIGEN -- Isotope Generation and Depletion
> The Radiation Safety Information Center (RSIC) at ORNL (Oak Ridge
> National Laboratory) is the distribution center for NRC-supported codes
> for computations in the field that will have abstracts of these and many
> more.
> EPRI (formerly known as Electric Power Research Institute) has developed
> many software packages for a wide range of problems for the electric
> utilities from fossil-fired plant thermal performance monitoring (PMW)
> to transmission/distribution network modeling.
> Don't know particular codes but at one time many of the petroleum
> exploration/production companies geophysical modeling of production
> fields were Fortran on CDC/Cray as would run into those guys at a couple
> of the timeshare facilities way back when...they were much more
> closed-mouth about things than anybody else I ever ran into, though,
> other than the most general of generalities so information in that area
> is probably going to be much harder to find.
> --
Most of the codes in the SCALE code system (you mentioned KENO and ORIGEN),
although they are being converted to C++ for reasons unfathomable to me. Also
the AMPX nuclear cross section processing system (many codes within). Then
from Los Alamos Lab MCNP and MCNPX for Monte Carlo Radiation Transport,
and NJOY for nuclear cross section processing, although the latest version is
now completely in C++.