From: janburse@fastmail.fm (Mild Shock)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer
Subject: Re: ANN: Dogelog Player 1.1.4 (Generational GC)
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 22:56:43 +0100
 by: Mild Shock - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 21:56 UTC

Dogelog Player is a Prolog system for the
JavaScript, Python and Java target platform.
Inside the browser the library(markup) offers
XSS injection safe markup generation. We extended
the library(markup) towards a heap friendly XML
streaming on all target platforms.

Conceptually we were inspired by Java’s class
FilterWriter. Text payload is automatically XML
escaped and tags are written in that the underlying
writer is directly called. As a test case we wrote
a colorizer in 100% Prolog, so that we can phase
out our old Java code.

See also:

XML Streaming for Dogelog Player
https://twitter.com/dogelogch/status/1736864678616207768

XML Streaming for Dogelog Player
https://www.facebook.com/groups/dogelog

Mild Shock schrieb:
> Dear All,
>
> We are happy to announce a new
> edition of the Dogelog player:
>
> - Multi Measurement:
>   The library(runner) was enhanced to be
> able to perform multiple measurements when
> used as a benchmark harness. This feature
> can for example be used to measure execution
> time and garbage collection time, provided
> the Prolog system offers such a statistics/2 key.
>
> - JDK 21 Bytecode:
>   Like we were phasing out formerly Jekejeke
> Prolog we are currently also phasing out
> JDK 8 Bytecode. There is a grace period
> but the transition to JDK 21 Bytecode is
> already seen in the new artefacts index9.zip
> and dogelog9.zip for the Dogelog Player
> on the Java platform.
>
> - Generational GC:
>   The garbage collector of Dogelog Player
> was enhanced to have a more refined triggering
> and to also use a faster generational variant
> when appropriate. This was implemented for
> all target platforms and we see performance
> gains Java 42%, JavaScript 51% and Python 61%.
>
> Have Fun!
> Jan Burse, 30.11.2023, http://www.xlog.ch/

Re: ANN: Dogelog Player 1.1.4 (Generational GC)

<uog5vj$ml7a$4@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=322&group=comp.lang.java.programmer#322

From: janburse@fastmail.fm (Mild Shock)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 11:06:43 +0100
 by: Mild Shock - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 10:06 UTC

Our initial testing with CPython was consistently
very disappointing, so that we switched to PyPy,
the alternative JIT-ing implementation of Python.
With running Doglog Player via PyPy it becomes
comparable in performance to the JavaScript target,
both targets now only lack by ca 50% behind the
Java target and SWI-Prolog.

See also:

Streaming HTTP for Dogelog Player [corrected]
https://twitter.com/dogelogch/status/1748646455999332354

Mild Shock schrieb:

> Dogelog Player is a 100% Prolog written Prolog
> interpreter. We started seeding the implementation
> of a common HTTP Server library for all targets
> JavaScript, Python and Java. Lets take a snapshot of
> the current API and report some performance experience.
>
> We could complete a minimal library(spin) and
> demonstrate the correct UTF-8 HTTP streaming of a
> text stream. We then measured the local delivery of
> a hobbit.txt file of 50'000 bytes, we also run
> against SWI-Prolog. We were positively surprised by
> the performance of JavaScript, Java and SWI-Prolog.
> Only the Python performance was a little disappointing.
>
> See also:
>
> Streaming HTTP for Dogelog Player
> https://twitter.com/dogelogch/status/1748477496364818517
>
> Streaming HTTP for Dogelog Player
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/dogelog

Re: ANN: Dogelog Player 1.1.4 (Generational GC)

<uogrss$3o3e0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.rocksolidbbs.com/devel/article-flat.php?id=323&group=comp.lang.java.programmer#323

From: arne@vajhoej.dk (Arne Vajhøj)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 11:20:44 -0500
 by: Arne Vajhøj - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 16:20 UTC

On 1/20/2024 5:06 AM, Mild Shock wrote:
> Our initial testing with CPython was consistently
> very disappointing, so that we switched to PyPy,
> the alternative JIT-ing implementation of Python.
> With running Doglog Player via PyPy it becomes
> comparable in performance to the JavaScript target,
> both targets now only lack by ca 50% behind the
> Java target and SWI-Prolog.

PyPy is "a" alternative JIT-ing implementation of Python.

There are other - including GraalPython and IronPython.
GraalPython performs very well.

And if you are to the more exotic you can look
at AOT with Cython or Codon.

Arne